FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Sorry Chris but to be honest, I'm not sure I'm following you on all your points.

Regarding daisy cutters, I empathize with your frustrations, though they definitely are in the game. They just happen so infrequently that they might as well not be. I was going to say that I'd upload a video the next time I saw one, but here's the first thing that pops up on youtube when you search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-pQx2jNdGQ

As you can see, the physics, the animations, they're in the game. Daisy cutters and low hard shots are possible, but for some reason they happen way too infrequently and we have little to no influence over when they happen.

In regards to shooting in general, I agree that variety is a big point of frustration, however I still think the possibilities for what CAN occur is pretty awesome. The problem is, like other aspects of the game, for some strange reason the best of the game isn't realized enough. Like I said, 80% of goals scored come from pretty similar shots - mid to high inside of the boot shots with medium to hard power - however the variety of the rest of the 20% of possibilities is really good imo.

This is actually a big issue with the entire game for me - there's a great foundation for a wide variety of possibilities and yet the game is not very good at realizing this variety of possibilities, if that makes any sense.

For example, I just today played a cup match against a lower league side that for about the first time actually felt like playing against a poorer quality club - they couldn't do shit right, made tons of mistakes, and I absolutely bossed the game. Problem is, just like low powerful shots, these types of matches are far too rare.

In regards to attacking runs i can't really say that I have an idea of what you're trying to describe. Personally, aside from shooting, I don't have any major issues with attacking play, and if anything, like previous FIFAs, I find attacking still too easy due to poor defensive AI. In the second year of my HSV Career, I have a half decent squad but I'm leading the league in goals scored (on Legendary; no sliders).

I still remain convinced that the biggest issues with the game remain the AI, especially when it comes to defending and loose ball situations. Plus it remains extremely frustrating always ceding 50%+ possession to the CPU regardless of the context, while I pretty much only concede two types of goals - one-time shots from the top of the box and goals from crosses. Those make up probably 80% of the goals scored against me.

All these frustrations aside, and I've got a ton (the lack of defensive pressure, the goddamn jogging animation, crazy keeper saves, successful tackles not leading to gaining possession, are a few other that drive me bonkers), I still find the game pretty damn fun to play.

For the first time I'm enjoying the Career Mode in 16. I found some good sliders on Operation Sports and even though AI passing % is still stupidly high, it doesn't feel that way. They never tiki-taka their way out of impossible situations.

I'm having a blast on fifa 16 still..cant remember enjoying a footy game this much since Winning eleven days..I've tweaked my sliders to my liking

Currently 3rd in premier league but nothing in position 2-7th ..city starting to pull away 8 points clear in February

Having some good games too ..lost to man u 2-1 late own goal my Sakho ..beat arsenal 3-0 in cup then drew 1-1 with Sunderland ..last minute equaliser by benteke after a keeper mistake ..one thing about the Sunderland game was there weren't many fouls until in the 2nd half one of their players cut henderson down and got a yellow, I retaliated and got booked then there were fouls all over the shop and they had another 3 players booked ..looked really good.

Another point on individuality. This shines for me..cortinho coming back from injury and on as a sub was a breath of fresh air and bossed the game..and benteke is useless as he is for Liverpool

Agree and feel the same way.

After many hours of SW Battlefront I continued my CM for a couple of hours.
Playing with TSV 1860 Munich in the first league and am @ the third place.
I play with professional with vanilla sliders as right now my squad, 1st league and that difficulty make the perfect combination.
Was down 0:2 in a match against VFB Stuttgart and made it 1:2 only but it was such a tight game.

And I still score goals I haven´t seen before.
In fact in every 2nd or 3rd match there is a goal I´d like to record and show it to somebody.
It´s really a pity that you can´t save replays.

But altogether I have a blast on this one.
The moddingway patch and that rev cam tool add a lot to it!

Sorry Chris but to be honest, I'm not sure I'm following you on all your points.

Regarding daisy cutters, I empathize with your frustrations, though they definitely are in the game. They just happen so infrequently that they might as well not be. I was going to say that I'd upload a video the next time I saw one, but here's the first thing that pops up on youtube when you search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-pQx2jNdGQ

As you can see, the physics, the animations, they're in the game. Daisy cutters and low hard shots are possible, but for some reason they happen way too infrequently and we have little to no influence over when they happen.

I disagree. Daisy cutters are not in the game. This youtube example looks like one, but you can clearly see that the ball is not touching the ground. It's a low shot i'll admit.
In fifa 16 all the shots go up. Mostly halfway up or in the top corner.
The daisy cutters from 15 are not in, that low on the ground power driven shot just outside the goalie's reach is not there.
I agree with Chris, the trajectories of the shots are 99% the same.
Could be because we always take the shots in the same way.
But since a lot of ppl are complaining about it, this would mean that they all take their shots in the same way as me. I don't buy that.
Something is wrong, or at least changed with the shooting when compared to 15.

I keep going back and forth between 15 and 16 and the difference is very very clear and visible.
But after playing 16, 15 is almost unplayable. I tried with Chris' sliders and liked it at first but after a few games gave up.

Here's hoping that they further improve in 17. I like the way they are going am positive for that.

I disagree. Daisy cutters are not in the game. This youtube example looks like one, but you can clearly see that the ball is not touching the ground. It's a low shot i'll admit.
In fifa 16 all the shots go up. Mostly halfway up or in the top corner.
The daisy cutters from 15 are not in, that low on the ground power driven shot just outside the goalie's reach is not there.
I agree with Chris, the trajectories of the shots are 99% the same.
Could be because we always take the shots in the same way.
But since a lot of ppl are complaining about it, this would mean that they all take their shots in the same way as me. I don't buy that.
Something is wrong, or at least changed with the shooting when compared to 15.

I keep going back and forth between 15 and 16 and the difference is very very clear and visible.
But after playing 16, 15 is almost unplayable. I tried with Chris' sliders and liked it at first but after a few games gave up.

Here's hoping that they further improve in 17. I like the way they are going am positive for that.

1. As I've said now in two posts, I wholeheartedly agree with the criticism that most shots are too similar. Don't know how I could explain it more clearly.

2. Daisy cutters are in the game. Maybe that youtube example isn't the perfect example you're looking for, but it's darn near close, and I've seen ones that are even more like you describe. I've even seen ones that are low hard ground shots, that don't lift off at all. Again, I've seen way too few since the game came out but low hard shots - even daisy cutters - are within the realm of possibility, they just occur very, very rarely.

Ultimately it doesn't even really matter, since we all agree on the same thing - the experience of shooting (not the same as goal scoring) has somewhat regressed from 15 to 16.

1. As I've said now in two posts, I wholeheartedly agree with the criticism that most shots are too similar. Don't know how I could explain it more clearly.

2. Daisy cutters are in the game. Maybe that youtube example isn't the perfect example you're looking for, but it's darn near close, and I've seen ones that are even more like you describe. I've even seen ones that are low hard ground shots, that don't lift off at all. Again, I've seen way too few since the game came out but low hard shots - even daisy cutters - are within the realm of possibility, they just occur very, very rarely.

Ultimately it doesn't even really matter, since we all agree on the same thing - the experience of shooting (not the same as goal scoring) has somewhat regressed from 15 to 16.

Ok, fair enough. They are very very rarely there (i haven't pulled off a single one unfortunately) but there seems to be no specific way to perform them. It's random based on goal angle, body angle etc. (i presume)

I also agree that shot variety is somewhere in there, but the actual occurrence of some shots is minimal...

Example 1
Example 2

The first one looks great. Second one also nice.
Seems to me these shots can only be performed when the ball is not on the ground. In the 1st vid the ball i just bouncing off the ground before being struck. Maybe that's why it worked.
Just something i'll have to accept then since i don't think EA is going to patch it in.

Apologies, my fault. I find it difficult to describe!

What I mean with regards to the attacking runs is, to put it basically, my strikers constantly run past the defenders by a good 30ft or more and then stand there offside waiting for a pass I can't make, leaving me with nowhere to go. I thought this was a slider thing, or a tactical thing, and eventually I bought a new striker, but still this behaviour continues.

I find it so impossibly difficult to get the ball through to a striker (who isn't offside) and score a goal, that most of my goals are coming from long shots scored from midfielders or similar. In-fact, the last two goals I've scored with strikers have been from bad passes from the opposition defence (caused by my slider experiments).

So despite variation being present thanks to some great physics, I end up hitting the same kinds of shots from the same areas to avoid having to deal with my strikers' poor run AI and the AI's crazy-good interception AI (which really grates with me big-time given how human defending is so utterly random - honestly, since experimenting with PES 2013 after Klash's videos in the PES thread, and re-experiencing the defending system in that game, I can't enjoy the modern games any more).

Perhaps it's something about my style of play, I don't know.

Also, as for the low-shots debate - as you say, the game can clearly cope with the idea of it, but stops it from ever really happening, and gives you no control over it.

It all comes back to my example of Sturridge having the ball perfectly set to strike across himself and hit a hard, low shot across the keeper and in - and that because he was about a 30-degree angle away from facing the goal, the game disregards the perfect set-up (and the physics even) to make him fluff the shot and hit a pea-roller into the keeper's arms, like a pass almost. (As a one-off, I'd be happy for that to have happened, but the physics, and the capability of the game, if you like, seem "cut off" in certain situations - hence my "do you think this is to water down the game, simplify it and make it 'more fair'" comment.)

Agreed. That's what's killed the game for me, to a lesser extent, after the defending. The pressure button, even on "legacy defending", is so ludicrously underpowered (as is the second-man pressure button - there's no point in the guy running over if the game won't allow him to make himself into a physical presence, he doesn't even have to tackle the guy but at least go and shoulder-up to him).

Last edited:
i played 2 games on line night and remembered in a second why I hate everything about fifa online.
I tried to get a game as Boca - 3 and half star team - no chance.
Everyone wants to be Real, Barca, Bayern etc.

i played 2 games on line night and remembered in a second why I hate everything about fifa online.
At least you can apply a filter and then not play a game if nobody is interested in using the lesser teams. On PES, it's Real Madrid every game (playing Seasons, I've seen them as much as I've seen any other team, but admittedly all 4-to-5 star teams).

Apologies, my fault. I find it difficult to describe!

What I mean with regards to the attacking runs is, to put it basically, my strikers constantly run past the defenders by a good 30ft or more and then stand there offside waiting for a pass I can't make, leaving me with nowhere to go. I thought this was a slider thing, or a tactical thing, and eventually I bought a new striker, but still this behaviour continues.

I find it so impossibly difficult to get the ball through to a striker (who isn't offside) and score a goal, that most of my goals are coming from long shots scored from midfielders or similar. In-fact, the last two goals I've scored with strikers have been from bad passes from the opposition defence (caused by my slider experiments).

So despite variation being present thanks to some great physics, I end up hitting the same kinds of shots from the same areas to avoid having to deal with my strikers' poor run AI and the AI's crazy-good interception AI (which really grates with me big-time given how human defending is so utterly random - honestly, since experimenting with PES 2013 after Klash's videos in the PES thread, and re-experiencing the defending system in that game, I can't enjoy the modern games any more).

Perhaps it's something about my style of play, I don't know.

Also, as for the low-shots debate - as you say, the game can clearly cope with the idea of it, but stops it from ever really happening, and gives you no control over it.

It all comes back to my example of Sturridge having the ball perfectly set to strike across himself and hit a hard, low shot across the keeper and in - and that because he was about a 30-degree angle away from facing the goal, the game disregards the perfect set-up (and the physics even) to make him fluff the shot and hit a pea-roller into the keeper's arms, like a pass almost. (As a one-off, I'd be happy for that to have happened, but the physics, and the capability of the game, if you like, seem "cut off" in certain situations - hence my "do you think this is to water down the game, simplify it and make it 'more fair'" comment.)

Agreed. That's what's killed the game for me, to a lesser extent, after the defending. The pressure button, even on "legacy defending", is so ludicrously underpowered (as is the second-man pressure button - there's no point in the guy running over if the game won't allow him to make himself into a physical presence, he doesn't even have to tackle the guy but at least go and shoulder-up to him).

Sorry Chris but I can't say that I really see what you're talking about. I've played a little today trying to see what you're talking about but either I'm just missing it or as you suggested something in your playstyle might be creating problems. I really dunno. If you feel like, maybe post a video sometime. (Though I'm not sure I want to become aware of any more problems with the game; ignorance is bliss an all.)

I will say though that if you're struggling scoring with your strikers, and with interceptions by the CPU, then there's probably something going on with how you're playing, as I don't have either of those issues. In my current HSV CM, Lasogga - a rather average striker - is banging them in for fun for me and is second in the league in goals scored at the midway point. In all my CMs so far I'm typically at the top of the league in scoring, though admittingly I play with default assistance settings and I've yet to play with a truly rubbish team yet. And I actually rarely score with long shots, so that's probably a weakness with my game.

I'll also admit that I've played so much of this game now that to some degree or another I'm probably, unconsciously or consciously, exploiting the game's weaknesses at times rather than playing "pure" football. One example is that I score too many goals coming from counter-attacks after a CPU corner - the defensive awareness and positioning at times is quite poor.

I totally know what you mean about PES's defending, though I don't think either game gets it right. PES is great because you can actually be solid in defense, for the most part, and you can realistically get tight to attackers. On the other hand, I do find FIFA to be far more satisfying when I do keep clean sheets, which I think is more to do with PES still feeling too automated and easy in various ways (just like I find it more satisfying to score in FIFA than i PES too). I do think of its gameplay mechanics, though, defending is most in need of an overhaul in FIfA.

One thing I do wonder about FIFA's defending though, is whether its apparent deficiencies aren't intentional to compensate for what in the end is still pretty basic and poor at times attacking AI. I mean, when I have a good team going in my CMs, I'll be at the top or close to the top in terms of goals conceded, so if defending was even better, it might then be too easy maybe? It's the same with the CPu's pass accuracy, and has been for years - use sliders to get to realistic acc levels and the CPU's goal threat dries up.

Don't have time to write much right now, one thing I will say is I enjoyed the video clips that mfmaxpower and spektarm put up!

FIFA16 is hardly without its flaws, but to me it's still the the best football game I've ever played and a highly enjoyable one. This is all with default settings by the way and World Class difficult for me.

I don't have much problem with defending by the way other than late in games when opponent runs into corner flag and tries to 'waste' time and you have to find a way to steal the ball off them. And that's probably something I need to improve on.

You mean you didn´t find no opponent?

In FIFA 15 I could get games with 3 star teams.

Since I´m fed up with FUT online and online season with Bayern Munich, I thought of giving it another try with 3 star teams.

The thing is that I really enjoy the CM.
But out of a couple of game modes I can enjoy only one but paying the full price for this game.
That might be nitpicking though...at least there is a footy mode I can have fun with.

Don't have time to write much right now, one thing I will say is I enjoyed the video clips that mfmaxpower and spektarm put up!

FIFA16 is hardly without its flaws, but to me it's still the the best football game I've ever played and a highly enjoyable one. This is all with default settings by the way and World Class difficult for me.

I don't have much problem with defending by the way other than late in games when opponent runs into corner flag and tries to 'waste' time and you have to find a way to steal the ball off them. And that's probably something I need to improve on.

This absolutely drives me mad, not because the opponent is strategic but rather because team pressing is nerfed on the game, so when your opponent is pissing about and passing it deep in his own half in the 88th minute, even when your team clearly needs to be chasing a goal and needs to press, they all stay static in their own half even with team pressing and high pressure turned on. Secondary team-mate contain of course only applies to only one other player at a time.

The AI occasionally do this but it's more of a problem online where people exploit the game and waste the last 5 mins of a game knowing that they can just 1-2 along their back line and keeper with very little threat of pressure from you.

Sitting at home so thought I'd throw the demo on.

Virtually every problem I have with the full game is gone one the demo, reminding me why I was so looking forward to it, my midfield his position, my full backs aren't playing centre mid, my wingers aren't playing full back. I can tackle, the play is varied etc etc etc

Every year I tell myself not to install the Day 1 update but I do......this year will be different.

just played an FA cup game in CM after weeks. cpu forced himself to win :') was laughable

i posted a video a few weeks ago showing PES stopping my player who was 100% going to get to the ball before the AI. I can honestly say having nearly finished my 2nd manager season and sitting 5th in the prem league and out of both cup competitions i have never felt once like i have been cheated. Weather that be due to sliders i use who knows but I have never seen AI suddenly over power me, run faster, score an unstoppable goal.

On another note someone commented on shot variation. I tried shot error to 0 for the AI with the low first touch i use. The AI was shooting from outside the area increased . Also i noticed a few sliding voleys that i havent seen much of. The downside was almost 100% on target. I have now settled to shot error of 43

well it just happened again. i dominate a game with City i lead...and suddenly (possibly because of the all out attack) the other pretty low level team is all over me and scores a wonder goal or two. yet my players cant score from 3 one-on-one situations....call this whatever u want :D

I play full assisted and got my sliders to a point where the game plays an absolutely fantastic enjoyable hard but fair game on world class, ill post later my settings.

From the fantastic demo to the release day this game was brilliant untouched, the patches since have made it a frustrating slog where it forces you to try the cheap way of cutting inside from the wing just to try get a result, it's frustrating to try wrong foot a player or dribble past him for their invisible force field to take the ball off you, this was not in the demo so why have they done this?

Sitting at home so thought I'd throw the demo on.

Virtually every problem I have with the full game is gone one the demo, reminding me why I was so looking forward to it, my midfield his position, my full backs aren't playing centre mid, my wingers aren't playing full back. I can tackle, the play is varied etc etc etc

Every year I tell myself not to install the Day 1 update but I do......this year will be different.

The demo was superb. I loved it - i was full of praise - see my posts in this thread around sept if you are bored - yet when the full game dropped it wasnt the same and not in a good way. Played different.
The demo was excellent where as the full game isnt.

They had to adjust the balance between dribbling and tackling because dribbling - especially at speed - was way OP prior to patching it. This was especially the case online, which is why it was patched I assume, but it was also OP against the CPU. With good dribblers though, you can still rip apart the CPU, even on Legendary.

In regards to the CPU cheating, it's all about in-game tactics adjustments; it's not cheating per se. When the CPU plays with high attack and goes aggressive, they become "unstoppable" because with those settings the defensive side of the game can't match the CPU's ability.

The wide range of difficulties against the CPU - between matches and within - is mostly due to these tactical variances. For example, I'm in the bundesliga and I have an easier time playing Bayern than I do many other teams. Why? Because if you look at their tactics, they are set up to play slow and conservative. Playing against the CPU when it goes aggressive and fast, even against a lower level team, is much harder because it requires quicker reflexes and decision making, and exploits the weaknesses in the defensive side of the game to a greater degree.

In regards to the CPU cheating, it's all about in-game tactics adjustments; it's not cheating per se. When the CPU plays with high attack and goes aggressive, they become "unstoppable" because with those settings the defensive side of the game can't match the CPU's ability.
If only we could disable the CPU's ability to switch to "all out attack". It's definitely the root cause of the "boosts" and "cheats" and everything else - it's most noticeable when you play Be A Pro IMO, when your team switches to "all out attack" and suddenly they turn from morons to Messis.

I wonder what would happen if you took control of the opposition mid-match with a second controller, reset the tactic to "normal", and then disconnected that controller.

Last edited:
well it just happened again. i dominate a game with City i lead...and suddenly (possibly because of the all out attack) the other pretty low level team is all over me and scores a wonder goal or two. yet my players cant score from 3 one-on-one situations....call this whatever u want :D

I assume you change your tactics to be more defensive, all out pressing and bring on a second DM?

Well personally when the opponents attack more to try to score I change things from around the 60th minute mark to protect my lead, they almost always leave themselves open for the fast counter attacks anyways so use their aggressive attacking against them ;)

Apologies if this is wrong thread. But can anyone tell me what cl ini gameplay mods do and do they work? I'm loving the game vs friends but can't get into cm because of the fact ever team including Bournemouth play like barca and it's so hard to win the ball back.....im looking for something that makes it a little bit more realistic against the cpu? Thanks

If only we could disable the CPU's ability to switch to "all out attack". It's definitely the root cause of the "boosts" and "cheats" and everything else - it's most noticeable when you play Be A Pro IMO, when your team switches to "all out attack" and suddenly they turn from morons to Messis.

I wonder what would happen if you took control of the opposition mid-match with a second controller, reset the tactic to "normal", and then disconnected that controller.

Well, that'd be nice except the problem is the game just isn't smart enough yet. The reason both football games use seemingly "unfair" means to provide difficulty is because they aren't advanced enough in terms of AI to otherwise be challenging enough; i.e. take away the things you mention and even Legendary difficulty would be too easy (with default settings at least).

I agree with your source of frustrations, but I think unfortunately they're necessary evils right now.

Well personally when the opponents attack more to try to score I change things from around the 60th minute mark to protect my lead, they almost always leave themselves open for the fast counter attacks anyways so use their aggressive attacking against them ;)

Yep, I do the same. The last FIFA match I played was a cup match that I won 4-0. I went up 1-nil, held that lead until about the hour mark, then scored three counterattack goals in the final thirty when the CPU left itself vulnerable.

Of course I'm not always successful with this but I also never feel like the game is predetermining a win for the CPU or cheating me - I almost always see the mistakes I made. I think what FIFA does less well than PES is that because tactics are less evolved, it's more difficult to make effective changes and adjust to different situations.

I found a WIP killer tactic for FIFA 16..

I thought I would give this a try and have won every game so far but one on World Class and still in the process of tweaking at present.

But is currently stands as a 3-1-1-5 formation and in a couple of games I have played they have resulted in high scoring wins. I don't have the ball very often in a match as it really isn't a possession tactic but with the 30% of the ball I do have, I create a goal scoring opportunity on pretty much every attack.

I will post a screenshot of the tactic later, but at present still tweaking it as when the wingers are RM and LM they play as wingbacks but when you play them as LW and RW they seem to play as strikers.

Back
Top Bottom