FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

And I thought it was just me that noticed that when I play FIFA! Can anyone explain it? Is it like the frames drop or something? Ruins what otherwise would be a nice goal sometimes.

i dont know but i wish a playtester would ask them to fix it, it looks like the camera zooms in slightly or moves just as the shot takes place even if the goal is in frame, there is a good example in one of the recent vids where a barcelona player shoots near post and the keeper saves, it's really obvious there and totally ruins the whole move

edit: found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkPzMNb1R8#t=1m20s

Last edited:
That's Arsenal being controlled by the CPU there. They pass 'backwards' three or four times, but pretty much exclusively at only a slight angle further backwards from horizontal. More like how rugby passes are usually slightly backwards, rather than a mostly reversed pass.

This should be one of the most extreme examples of backwards passing to retain possession, lots of one-twos between people at different heights up the pitch in order to draw pressers towards the more advanced player and create gaps for others to exploit. As you can see though, that just isn't happening.

I'm hearing that flair passing is still in the game and just as pin-point as it was in earlier code. Really, really hope that isn't true; Aaron told us it was far more prone to error than normal passing. He also said the same was happening for tricks. So either what we're seeing here is just the code we played back in July, or they haven't done what they said they would. Fingers crossed it isn't the latter.

Agree with this, the AI still to be looks far too hurried to get the ball forwards at all costs. It's one of my major annoyances with FIFA11. There's still no sense in those videos to me that the AI tries to 'work' your team out of position, it still tries to 'power' it's way through you. I can't find much evidence of the AI using the new defensive options either, it's still a case of sprinting into your player and making unrealistically perfect tackles.

There are plenty of aesthetic things that look really good, love the new camera, graphics and presentation seem nice, but I can't get over the way players move, it's so unrealistic. There's nothing wrong with the animation of the players as such, it's nice and fluid as you'd expect, but players are able to move and turn at extreme angles in an instant, like gravity has no effect on them. It's a major flaw in the game. One earlier vid on a previous page showed Messi dribbling round about 3 players right at the start of the video, and it looked crazy. Sure he can dribble past those players in real life, but not in the way he did it in that video. He turned at about two or three extreme, sharp right angles with no loss of speed or balance. Player movement is still far too twitchy.

If players can still turn at 90 degree angles and actually look like they're gaining speed while doing it, then there's a huge problem still with the fundamentals. Hope it improves but I'm not impressed with the gameplay at all.

I'm definitely waiting until this comes out before reading the opinions of others, not least about how Career Mode works. It's the main reason I buy the game, I don't play online, and if Career Mode still doesn't work properly, and contains tons of bugs for a third game running, then it'll be an absolute disgrace, and no money for EA from me.

Last edited:
I think it looks good. But then i enjoy Fifa 11 on professional or WC, with controls set to manual and customized tactics for many teams. So if 12 improves on 11 in graphics, animations, the slider system and what not, ill be very happy with that.

I'm the first to slag EA when they mess up but this looks to be something they have sorted or at least tried to. Just like pressure has actually gone now.

But hasn't pressure been replaced with "tactical defending," wherein you're able to mimic the attackers movements 1:1?

-----

On those videos, they honestly all look like FIFA 11. I can't even see the graphical improvements and I'm what you might call a graphics whore. Maybe I just don't care whether or not they focused on that this year...

And this may be because I'm so unfamiliar with PES, but that first trailer has me looking to maybe switch it up entirely this year. Especially if EA hasn't fixed matchmaking in Online Team Play.

But hasn't pressure been replaced with "tactical defending," wherein you're able to mimic the attackers movements 1:1?

Yes, which means pressure with auto tackle has gone.

I'm fine with the tactical defending in theory, its how things are in real life. You have to make a judgment on when and where to tackle, how long do you back off before you tackle. All those things sound correct.

Now as i haven't played it yet, its whether its implemented correctly that's the worry, but looking at the videos there is no success in pressuring (the old way).

Surely that is a good thing, pressure has plagued both footy games for 5 years.

As a manual player i'm sooooo happy its gone.

Good news for manual players around the world. The online leagues can be played in manual against manual or semi/assisted against semi/assisted.
:)

Yes, which means pressure with auto tackle has gone.

I'm fine with the tactical defending in theory, its how things are in real life. You have to make a judgment on when and where to tackle, how long do you back off before you tackle. All those things sound correct.

Now as i haven't played it yet, its whether its implemented correctly that's the worry, but looking at the videos there is no success in pressuring (the old way).

Surely that is a good thing, pressure has plagued both footy games for 5 years.

As a manual player i'm sooooo happy its gone.

One thing that helps othergame2011 with shape is when you're defending the defensive line backs up along with the further forward attacker, facing forward, and trying to keep the space between them.If you have a defensive mid he should drop into the space left. It make's it harder to play balls over the top to the striker as well as opening up space for more passes in the final 3rd and long shots.

It really is that simple. Not sure what's taking the EA boys so long to clock onto the problem. This year should be a lot better for us with tactical defending though. Looks like the CPU does it too/

edit: also the urgency to get back as a unit would fix spacing issues. maybe EA should consult a real-world manger for their AI?

Last edited:
Player movement is what puts me off Fifa the most i think. There still appears to be such limitation in body movement, i guess what most call inertia. First touch is an issue but mostly it is inertia that causes the problem when you can't move in any direction with no limitation. One day i hope EA realise how silly this looks. It's too fluid, players don't act this way in real life. I wish Fifa wouldn't disregard that because i assume they want the game to feel as fluid as possible.

If you want an example of what i mean then look at the way then there's a video on the last page where the striker runs one way and then immediately the other (0.33). In truth i believe it is actually Messi but it doesn't mean that i know other players, you know less superheroic ones, don't do it too. I played a lot of both 10 + 11 and it's been an issue to me for a while.

Last edited:
new videos looking better, liking the gfx and animations.

Would like to see how shielding and close dribbling works.

Also, noticed you can still just pass the ball out of danger, there is never a dangerman ala lampard or gerrard waiting on the egde or around the edge to smash one home, but hey it could happen, I just doubt it from the AI positioning looking similar to 11

I just wish there was people like us playing in the videos, neither game comes off well, better yes but they leave a lingering doubt....

I just wish there was people like us playing in the videos, neither game comes off well, better yes but they leave a lingering doubt....

I've been saying this. people are just bombing forwards with 1-2's in both vids and you MIGHT get a few goals LUCKILY that way in PES but I wish EA would make it HARDER to score these kinds of goals. A lot of it is about team shape and the defence containing and waiting for the midfield and then keeping the space between the line of defence and the midfield.

Didn't want to bring this up in here, but since you've mentioned it I might as well respond. If I haven't played it and only watched some of the horrible vids here I would've said the same. Having played it though, it is far from being that, marble on glass. In fact, what impressed me most in my playtest was the passing. It is something that I liked in Fifa and wanted to see in PES. It is the first thing I've noticed, because of the way the ball behaves traveling along the pitch and how it bobbles, like in Fifa. Maybe its due to switching off passing assistance though, as I can't be too sure because I've played most my games this way.

But yea, try the demo out, switch off player assistance, and see if its still an issue for you. I'd surely try both assistance and no assistance for comparison sake.

Well I'll defer to those who have actually played the game, and with such glowing reports coming from you, Rod, and Rom, I'm not too concerned. My observations are more based on last year's PES (FIFA), and I'll be the first to admit that these vids have a tendency to highlight and exaggerate certain types of issues.

Agree with this, the AI still to be looks far too hurried to get the ball forwards at all costs. It's one of my major annoyances with FIFA11. There's still no sense in those videos to me that the AI tries to 'work' your team out of position, it still tries to 'power' it's way through you. I can't find much evidence of the AI using the new defensive options either, it's still a case of sprinting into your player and making unrealistically perfect tackles.

There are plenty of aesthetic things that look really good, love the new camera, graphics and presentation seem nice, but I can't get over the way players move, it's so unrealistic. There's nothing wrong with the animation of the players as such, it's nice and fluid as you'd expect, but players are able to move and turn at extreme angles in an instant, like gravity has no effect on them. It's a major flaw in the game. One earlier vid on a previous page showed Messi dribbling round about 3 players right at the start of the video, and it looked crazy. Sure he can dribble past those players in real life, but not in the way he did it in that video. He turned at about two or three extreme, sharp right angles with no loss of speed or balance. Player movement is still far too twitchy.

If players can still turn at 90 degree angles and actually look like they're gaining speed while doing it, then there's a huge problem still with the fundamentals. Hope it improves but I'm not impressed with the gameplay at all.

I'm definitely waiting until this comes out before reading the opinions of others, not least about how Career Mode works. It's the main reason I buy the game, I don't play online, and if Career Mode still doesn't work properly, and contains tons of bugs for a third game running, then it'll be an absolute disgrace, and no money for EA from me.

Great post. The newer clips vs the cpu look better, but it still just isn't good enough. The bs pressure all over the pitch is improved which is nice, I appreciate that.

The other big issues though, still seem to remain. The forward at all costs mentality that is programmed in, just is not at all representative of the beautiful game. The "powering" through you analogy is spot on. Somehow they need to do something to change this to make the cpu fear moving forward like this. Have them play back or try to find someone to receive a pass. I understand that there are plenty of times during a match when players try to make something out of nothing, only to be dispossessed, but in this game it happens far too much.

The twitchy movement also bothers me. The animations are better then the other game, but as bad as they may be in that game, you still feel like you are moving and turning realistically in comparison to the lightning fast movement you see when playing this game.

I also want to see the gameplay be more dynamic in fifa. Most of the play is route one futbol, almost everything is scored by attacking players. Too robotic and static. Some times defenders may score on set pieces, but there are not enough instances of mids or defenders scoring in fifa. Everyone seems stuck in their spot if that makes sense. Build up play by the cpu is awful, which helps to create this issue.

I'll wait for the demo and hopefully the pc version can be modded to extend play time. I too am a single player only guy, so manager mode needs a ton of work to impress me. Nick has stated it is improved which is good to hear. We'll see how the game play feels when demo time comes. :)

Back
Top Bottom