FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

For the first time in FIFA I find that manual passing gives you more of an edge on assisted passing. I love turning my opponents upside down online because my passes aren't scripted and they can't seem to get a hold of the ball. :D

I really love this game. It's by far my favorite game in the series. It's not perfect but at least it's not frustrating me like old FIFA could.

I've come to the conclusion that, this year, for the first time ever, I've been completely unable to master either football game. PES is too hard, well, for reasons not worth discussing on here, and on World Class, FIFA12 is regularly kicking me square in the bollocks. I think I've just conceded 16 goals in my last four games. I think I officially qualify as the worst defender in FIFA12 in the country :((

Losing my will to play it, such is my shiteness at this game. I'd lower the difficulty to Professional level but it's too easy to slow dribble into their penalty area on that setting, so I'm stuck in-between. I would alter the sliders accordingly to make WC more manageable but I don't know if I can be bothered, all I wanna do is just get on and play it. I've spent more time tinkering with sliders than just sitting down and enjoying it for what it is.

Just wish I could stop any half decent team from waltzing into my penalty area and finding the net with near on every shot it takes :((

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that, this year, for the first time ever, I've been completely unable to master either football game. PES is too hard, well, for reasons not worth discussing on here, and on World Class, FIFA12 is regularly kicking me square in the bollocks. I think I've just conceded 16 goals in my last four games. I think I officially qualify as the worst defender in FIFA12 in the country :((

Losing my will to play it, such is my shiteness at this game. I'd lower the difficulty to Professional level but it's too easy to slow dribble into their penalty area on that setting, so I'm stuck in-between. I would alter the sliders accordingly to make WC more manageable but I don't know if I can be bothered, all I wanna do is just get on and play it. I've spent more time tinkering with sliders than just sitting down and enjoying it for what it is.

Just wish I could stop any half decent team from waltzing into my penalty area and finding the net with near on every shot it takes :((

It is frustrating, I was the same not long ago, but the defending just clicked with me (Although I still make stupid mistakes)

I played loads of Head to Head season games yesterday and a couple of times I was up against really good players and I managed to keep in the game with my defending. So satisfying when you do defend well.

It is frustrating, I was the same not long ago, but the defending just clicked with me (Although I still make stupid mistakes)

I played loads of Head to Head season games yesterday and a couple of times I was up against really good players and I managed to keep in the game with my defending. So satisfying when you do defend well.

I agree , its very rewarding esp against good manual players (H2H)

@LTFC
that's why I don't play that much CM right now
Its all H2H manual or clubs atm

It's strange, I thought the same, that I'd got the hang of defending and can totally see the benefits of the new system, but since moving onto World Class my defence just opens up on a regular basis, on the same tactical settings. Strange.

I'm also finding that I'm conceding a ridiculous amount of penalties. In my CM I must have conceded about two penalties in two seasons on Professional level; since changing to World Class I've conceded NINE penalties in about 15-20 matches, and all of them for tiny nudges when players bump into each other without me ever pressing any button at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the game in any way, I'm just clearly absolute shite at it, which really bugs me because I'm generally a decent gamer and extensive football fan :(

It's strange, I thought the same, that I'd got the hang of defending and can totally see the benefits of the new system, but since moving onto World Class my defence just opens up on a regular basis, on the same tactical settings. Strange.

I'm also finding that I'm conceding a ridiculous amount of penalties. In my CM I must have conceded about two penalties in two seasons on Professional level; since changing to World Class I've conceded NINE penalties in about 15-20 matches, and all of them for tiny nudges when players bump into each other without me ever pressing any button at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the game in any way, I'm just clearly absolute shite at it, which really bugs me because I'm generally a decent gamer and extensive football fan :(

I'd blame the game personally.

Both games are deeply flawed. Both games are scripted just in different ways. PES CPU AI relies on everyone dribbling you and catching you on the counter attack. You can jockey hold for dear life but eventiually their striker will be given just enough space, even with a group of players round him, to fire off a shot or skip past the defender with ultra reflexes. Also watch out for the headed goal, that the CPU moves your CB to let their striker head home.

FIFA makes my blood boil even more, because it is more subtle in the way it cheats and downright changes the entire laws of natural forces, like just cheating in a show of strength, letting the ball get magnetically steered to the CPU constantly, and just generating as many things possible in the CPU's favour, including scripted 45/90 minute goals, actually moving your entire defence around so as to create huge gaps and giving speed/acceleration/strength bursts to CPU players who are shit.

Both games can be immensely enjoyable...right up until that point where the cheating goes haywire and completely ruins the game.

I'll give them a shot later, thanks :)

Will those still work okay if I lowered the speed of the passing? I think I'd find it way too fast but it's worth giving a go nonetheless.

Yep but it means that the AI will pass too well at higher skill levels, if you lower pass speed I'd suggest raising pass error to compensate.

letting the ball get magnetically steered to the CPU constantly
The ball is so often magnetically steered to players in general, not just CPU players. It's one of the things I'd most like to see changed.

I guess they must do it for a reason but I don't know what that would be, and I'd be keen to know how the game plays without it. I can't help thinking that the ball would feel more free and unpredictable, and that this would be a good thing.

I have conceeded alot of penalties online recently aswell with little nudges, I think they need to work on tackles in the box and if they are given a pen or not. I think I had about 4 pens against me yesterday and none didn't even look anywhere near a penalty.

One was a great sliding tackle with Merts from the side got the ball cleanly, but the player fell over and it got given as a pen....just not right!

fifa 12 AI (vs cpu) cheats big time and it is almost unplayable on keyboard.

overall, this part of game dissapointed me. fifa 11 had a much better balance in that area.

Is there some sort of patch for FIFA that updates all the kits, boots, etc? Something like PESEdit but for FIFA. I've started playing it over the last couple of days and I'm quite enjoying it.

It seems a bit dead in there so I thought I would try in here. Is there a way to trigger player runs like you can with the right stick in PES? Thanks for the sliders by the way, the game is much better using your set than others I have tried before.

Aha sorry, don't have the PC version so don't follow the editing scene, get your finger our editors!

L1/LB triggers runs :) But really if you set your custom settings right and have decent players they should make runs automatically, in the custom tactics buildup speed affects how many runs players make, the higher the speed setting the more runs they make (in theory) ;)

Last edited:
It seems a bit dead in there so I thought I would try in here. Is there a way to trigger player runs like you can with the right stick in PES? Thanks for the sliders by the way, the game is much better using your set than others I have tried before.

On my config, LB is set to trigger runs.

Yep but it means that the AI will pass too well at higher skill levels, if you lower pass speed I'd suggest raising pass error to compensate.

Thanks bud, I tried your sliders and really enjoyed them. It took a short while to get used to the speed of the ball, but now it feels pretty realistic to be honest. I switched to all manual and it worked a charm. I still can't shoot on manual, but the match I played with your sliders definitely makes players more individual, and seems to make the CPU feel like more of a human opponent due to the increase in passing error. The CPU feels much less robotic and error prone.

I played a CM at home to Stoke (who have signed decent players and sit 5th in the table) and finally registered a 1-0 win. It felt that the later the game got, the more ragged Stoke's passing got, with several passes drilled straight past their target. The manual passing also helps open the game up a lot, because the feeling of the ball being 'on rails', even compared to semi passing, has gone. Player technique also felt more important because the higher speed and error reduces the floaty, bobbly element to the error sliders, and makes players use their technique stats more to control the ball. Higher skilled players were definitely more comfortable with ball control than lesser players.

I'm sure my result is a one off, but it does feel more balanced using your sliders, and more realistic. The only slider that I have changed is the power bar, which I've drastically reduced down so that I can get more nuance in the strength of passing. On the slider setting of 58 even a light tap of the button can see it drilled, but that's a personal preference that I've managed to fix.

All in all the game feels much better, far more random and more individual, while also making the CPU seem less robotic. Thanks! :)

Now speaking of manual, I think it's the only way for me to go from now on. It somehow opens up the game so much, that feeling of the ball being 'sucked' towards the CPU has gone and even the CPU feels more manual in terms of its long balls etc. I think players feel more individual than on semi assisted controls. With a lesser player, it might be me who makes them misjudge a pass, but using a better player does correct your mistake slightly and so their passing is visibly better in every respect. I've also found that using L2 while passing steadies the player and makes them perform a much more accurate pass, finally this button actually has a use. Without it, passes will be far harder to hit correctly.

Oh, and the only other thing I've altered are the injury frequency sliders, down to 96. I previously had mine at 95 and didn't see a great deal of injuries, and one match in with them set to 98, Cleverley, Taylor and my VP are all out injured for the rest of the season!

Last edited:
Thanks bud, I tried your sliders and really enjoyed them.

Glad you're liking them, another convert! You sum it up pretty well, player individuality goes through the roof when using those sliders for passing, shooting and especially first touch :) I've seen a new animation since changing them where an AI player receives the ball but their touch is so heavy it bounces away and nearly goes to my player but they do a lunging stab at the ball to push it away from my player, usually happens to AI defenders! :)

The only slider that I have changed is the power bar, which I've drastically reduced down so that I can get more nuance in the strength of passing. On the slider setting of 58 even a light tap of the button can see it drilled, but that's a personal preference that I've managed to fix.

Yeah it's understandable you doing that, I like how with the power button high you can pass the ball about mid/long range much quicker with a short press of the button, plus of course you can get powerful shots off even if you don't have much time, something I felt you couldn't do very well when it took much longer to power the bar up, the key I find when using a high power bar setting is for short intricate passing use the manual through ball instead which powers up at about half the speed of a regular short pass :)

I've also found that using L2 while passing steadies the player and makes them perform a much more accurate pass, finally this button actually has a use. Without it, passes will be far harder to hit correctly.
I probably use L2 more than any other button. For careful dribbling, for dragbacks, for trapping an incoming pass, for jockeying, for jostling, for volleys, for the odd stepover... it has many uses :)

Especially when building up slowly from the back. I'll slow-dribble with L2, make sure my player is steady and facing the direction of the pass on his stronger foot, and then often use L2+direction to trap the pass when it gets there. A nice L2 dragback turn can help maintain separation if you need to go backwards, too. I use this button all the time.

Thanks bud, I tried your sliders and really enjoyed them. It took a short while to get used to the speed of the ball, but now it feels pretty realistic to be honest. I switched to all manual and it worked a charm. I still can't shoot on manual, but the match I played with your sliders definitely makes players more individual, and seems to make the CPU feel like more of a human opponent due to the increase in passing error. The CPU feels much less robotic and error prone.

I played a CM at home to Stoke (who have signed decent players and sit 5th in the table) and finally registered a 1-0 win. It felt that the later the game got, the more ragged Stoke's passing got, with several passes drilled straight past their target. The manual passing also helps open the game up a lot, because the feeling of the ball being 'on rails', even compared to semi passing, has gone. Player technique also felt more important because the higher speed and error reduces the floaty, bobbly element to the error sliders, and makes players use their technique stats more to control the ball. Higher skilled players were definitely more comfortable with ball control than lesser players.

I'm sure my result is a one off, but it does feel more balanced using your sliders, and more realistic. The only slider that I have changed is the power bar, which I've drastically reduced down so that I can get more nuance in the strength of passing. On the slider setting of 58 even a light tap of the button can see it drilled, but that's a personal preference that I've managed to fix.

All in all the game feels much better, far more random and more individual, while also making the CPU seem less robotic. Thanks! :)

Now speaking of manual, I think it's the only way for me to go from now on. It somehow opens up the game so much, that feeling of the ball being 'sucked' towards the CPU has gone and even the CPU feels more manual in terms of its long balls etc. I think players feel more individual than on semi assisted controls. With a lesser player, it might be me who makes them misjudge a pass, but using a better player does correct your mistake slightly and so their passing is visibly better in every respect. I've also found that using L2 while passing steadies the player and makes them perform a much more accurate pass, finally this button actually has a use. Without it, passes will be far harder to hit correctly.

Oh, and the only other thing I've altered are the injury frequency sliders, down to 96. I previously had mine at 95 and didn't see a great deal of injuries, and one match in with them set to 98, Cleverley, Taylor and my VP are all out injured for the rest of the season!

On what level do you play mate? Word class/ Legendary?

I tried your slides placebo, but the pass speed was very unrealistic as I play on the default speed. I have moved then down and have won a couple of games that I would have drawn otherwise.

I can't help thinking that adjusting the sliders feel as though i am cheating somehow.

I can't help thinking that adjusting the sliders feel as though i am cheating somehow.

Can't really agree with that logic when you're the only one playing, if adjusting the sliders makes the game more enjoyable for you (as it does for me and many others) then that's a positive :)

just played fifa 11 and noticed you can do mad swever on crosses. They mustve taken that out of fifa 12 as the swerve you coudl do was really OTT but effective and cool :(

Back
Top Bottom