FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Anyone else played both PC and console versions and think the PC far better?

I've played the console version since the weekend and don't get me wrong i've enjoyed it, but i've got the PC version, dropped the speed to slow and increased the pace of passing and a few other tweaks, and it's just something else. Add to that it's graphically superior. Can't see me going back to the console for this really.

Just tried two games against the CPU. As Liverpool v Hartlepool, it was good to see them standing off and backing away. Their passing wasn't as good, they weren't as adventurous and played just like I'd expect them too really.

Second game as Barca v Marseille trying to recreate a demo scenario to see how different it played. And it played a LOT different. No crazy pressure from Marseille, no twisting and turning all over the place, NO CONSTANTLY GOING DOWN THE WINGS, and generally (again) played just like I expected.

VERY impressed with the full game. So much so that it might actually get played ahead of PES this year. Maybe the shine will wear off like it usually does with FIFA after a few weeks/months but for now I'm really enjoying it.

Could do with changing sliders to make CPU passing a bit looser and maybe more runs but otherwise it's very good.

Quoting for in 7 days when you trade it in :LOL:

According to this tweet Placebo has just received Fouls could be fixed in a gameplay update on release day.

@Placebo_obecalP fouls and some difficulty tuning.

Can't say that I've noticed a difference, and I've been playing the retail code since last week. I'll have to double-check that I downloaded the update but pretty sure it happened yesterday when I turned on the game.

Placebo yr the best

Just hope it helps :)

Just checked fifa asian version look features no Arabic http://www.play-asia.com/FIFA_12/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-4bq0.html

Playasia ship the world over and of course many Asian countries have Arabic as an official language so I'm hoping they can get it into stock if nothing else.

I take it you're hoping to get an Arabic PS3 copy for yourself? I have a friend who lives in Qatar who's moving to the Czech Republic mid October so I could possibly arrange with him to bring a copy to the EU then post from CZ.

That would be fab but ill give ea the benifit of a doubt see if they respond otherwise ill take u up on the offer its a real shame look at all the hype they made re the commentary n they wanted to use it as a so called audit to see if it can work for future versions hey this must show how much we want it

I instaled the game i bought today to my new slim 360 as always,and played with CPU kick off matches...SLOWDOWN,FRAMEDROPS,in every game i played...Played it in my other console,the same...Turned off internet and played again,same shite...metacritic 92-93 for fifa? JUST LOL

I instaled the game i bought today to my new slim 360 as always,and played with CPU kick off matches...SLOWDOWN,FRAMEDROPS,in every game i played...Played it in my other console,the same...Turned off internet and played again,same shite...metacritic 92-93 for fifa? JUST LOL

No problems like that here and haven't heard many similar complaints, so...

Does anybody know if you are able to make your vp a CM instead of just CAM or CDM? That annoyed me quite a bit in fifa 11.

Also are the 'challenges' you have to face as a VP more or less the same as in fifa 11?

Thanks!

Right thats it I am getting Fifa 12. I really didnt think I would be getting any football game this year but reading so many good things about fifa has swung it for me. I know it wont be pefect but sounds so much better than 11 (which i didnt bother with) and am surprised as it was quite doom and gloom before release.

I've got the full game and have been playing it since yesterday.

I WAS loving it... Fucking great, but I had to turn legacy defending on because tactical defending makes the game unplayable for me.

I've been happily playing it online and battering people like normal :-)

I had a go at playing the online seasons thing... some kind of promotion/relegation type thing, and the game was set into tactical defending. I couldn't turn it off :-(

I've read elsewhere that ranked games will be forced into tactical defending.

If this is true then I'm gutted as it means I'm going to have to stop playing the game. Tactical defending is horrible.

It's a great game bro. I'm certainly not regretting it. I'm loving it! Best footie game I've ever played and yeah of course nothing in life is perfect! This is as good as it's ever been though so I'm gonna enjoy it until next year hopefully something even better comes along.

It's a great game bro. I'm certainly not regretting it. I'm loving it! Best footie game I've ever played and yeah of course nothing in life is perfect! This is as good as it's ever been though so I'm gonna enjoy it until next year hopefully something even better comes along.

But what about the fact they're going to force you to use tactical defending in ranked games online?

I've got the full game and have been playing it since yesterday.

I WAS loving it... Fucking great, but I had to turn legacy defending on because tactical defending makes the game unplayable for me.

I've been happily playing it online and battering people like normal :-)

I had a go at playing the online seasons thing... some kind of promotion/relegation type thing, and the game was set into tactical defending. I couldn't turn it off :-(

I've read elsewhere that ranked games will be forced into tactical defending.

If this is true then I'm gutted as it means I'm going to have to stop playing the game. Tactical defending is horrible.

All true. And IMO, it's a good thing. I don't have game yet and even if I'm rubbish at defending then I'm still happy about it as at least it is me who is no good at it. Fed up of people relying on the CPU to do everything for them. Expect it to help my sons out but as an adult, I like to do it all myself.

All true. And IMO, it's a good thing. I don't have game yet and even if I'm rubbish at defending then I'm still happy about it as at least it is me who is no good at it. Fed up of people relying on the CPU to do everything for them. Expect it to help my sons out but as an adult, I like to do it all myself.

It's not a legitimate criticism.

I play the game in such a way that I don't physically control the defender closest to the ball. The player I'm controlling will be trying to block out a run or to intercept a pass, and I use the pressure button to continue to apply pressure while I'm doing that. There is skill in that technique, so it's simply not legitimate to say I expect the cpu to do it all for me.

Try playing me online and holding the pressure button down so the 'cpu does it all for you' - I'll batter you about 8-0.

Tactical defending is the best thing thats happened to FIFA. Hopefully assissted will go next year ;O). I am now used to it and have stepped up to WC level full manual. Still making mistakes and conceding and sometimes being hammered but I know where I'm going wrong and im getting better.

Just beat Bolton in the cup 3-0 and below is a great manual volley. Never shared a goal so be kind

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/95249654

How to not tacticaldefend :)

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/94574278

Last edited:
Tactical defending is the best thing thats happened to FIFA. Hopefully assissted will go next year ;O). I am now used to it and have stepped up to WC level full manual. Still making mistakes and conceding and sometimes being hammered but I know where I'm going wrong and im getting better.

Just beat Bolton in the cup 3-0 and below is a great manual volley. Never shared a goal so be kind

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/95249654

It's the worst thing to happen to Fifa.

It's horrible.

But what about the fact they're going to force you to use tactical defending in ranked games online?

The rest of us LOVE the fact that that this is the case man.

If you don't like tactical defending, it looks like you need to practice more and get into grips with it. It's the best thing that ever happened to FIFA. A way more realistic way of defending and has really opened up the game. Because so many people aren't good at it yet (including myself), you can really cut open defenses with great dribbling with skillful players.

It's time to adapt. And once you do as I'm on my way, you'll see it makes a far better game than the old 'legacy defending'. So if somebody wants to not adapt and keep to old ways instead of improving in one's own CM mode and whatnot, that's fine. But for something like online modes, it should be that it's the new proper way of doing things. And tactical defending makes the game a lot more closer to real life than the old method of defending.

I dont understand what people dont like about it other than its new, needs skill and patience. Last year was horrific just charging into people or the computer tackling for you where is the fun in that.

The trick to TD is to stand off and not sprint everywhere. Jockey and then time your standing tackle. I've also noticed the AI makes more passing errors when you stop diving in and stand off more. Or is certainly seems that way

It's not a legitimate criticism.

I play the game in such a way that I don't physically control the defender closest to the ball. The player I'm controlling will be trying to block out a run or to intercept a pass, and I use the pressure button to continue to apply pressure while I'm doing that. There is skill in that technique, so it's simply not legitimate to say I expect the cpu to do it all for me.

Try playing me online and holding the pressure button down so the 'cpu does it all for you' - I'll batter you about 8-0.

I doubt you would have enough of the ball to batter me 8 - 0 sunshine ;)

I dont understand what people dont like about it other than its new, needs skill and patience. Last year was horrific just charging into people or the computer tackling for you where is the fun in that.

The trick to TD is to stand off and not sprint everywhere. Jockey and then time your standing tackle. I've also noticed the AI makes more passing errors when you stop diving in and stand off more. Or is certainly seems that way

Ok let me try to explain why I'm hating it so much.

It wasn't until I started speaking to people about this that I realised my method of defense is apparently not that common.

When I defend using the current method, I'm not generally controlling the player closest to the ball. I tend to take control of a player on the end of the screen or something like that - I'm looking on the radar for the player you're most likely to pass to, and then I'm covering the area where you're trying to pass, and blocking off the runs that player is likely to make.

At the same time, I'm holding down the pressure button so I have a defender chasing you and trying to get the ball off you. If this defender gets close enough or seems to be in a good position/situation, I flip control over to him and try to nab the ball off you.

So here's the cruncher: I don't defend by controlling the player closest to the attacking player in position. Tactical defending to me seems geared around the notion that you'll be controlling this player, and that you just want greater control over him.

I've been absolutely LOVING the game online so far, but then when I realised I can't play a ranked game unless I go tactical defending, I just felt deflated...

Exactly Hitman. I think it's just people being impatient. Change can be a good or bad thing. In this case it's a good one, but because it is still change, its seemed as bad by those who are unwilling to adapt. They wanna buy the new game, pick it up and play and instantly be great! Well no, sorry. There's a learning curve.

I was conceding a lot of goals at first but all were my own fault and not being used to this way of defending, now I'm learning and it's getting better and better. I've still got lots to learn but I'm okay with that. Some aren't.

This is my point exactly - you're talking about it from the perspective of someone controlling the player closest to the attacking player in possession.

I don't want to control that player. I want to control the player closest to the guy I think you're about to pass to.

I don't want to Jockey - I want to block off your pass by pre-empting where I think you're going to go.

Back
Top Bottom