Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

100% success rate, only if you performed the trick with the controller sticks perfectly. Even with 5 star players, my success rate with tricks is pretty low. Given, I'm not that player who spends a lot of time practicing tricks, but still, isn't the way PES is doing tricks by pre-assigning them going to make it very easy to pull-off a string of complicated tricks?

I'm still a bit confused as to how PES is implementing their new trick system, but it sounds like it'll be easier rather than harder to pull of crazy stuff than FIFA.

Since PES has always been stat-driven, I'm assuming success rate would vary based on the technique stat. But if it wasn't, and was too easy to pull off, then it surely is plain stupid.

That hands on that said Vidic performed a rainbow with nonchalant ease is what worried me.

Certainly FIFA needs more error than just that of the user.

Saw the vid, and at the end you see Iniesta being nimble and some really good movement from him. Pretty much how he would move in real live cutting inside. The Kaka cut scene of him being injured (super realistic considering real life :p) showed excellent graphics. Love the stadium entrance at the Bernabeu, stepping up unto the pitch. Really nice touches there.

BTW I speak spanish and he does not say anything new he talks about why they picked Vela and about personality +.

Last edited:
Since PES has always been stat-driven, I'm assuming success rate would vary based on the technique stat. But if it wasn't, and was too easy to pull off, then it surely is plain stupid.

So you're saying that with the pre-assigned tricks, I do the necessary button combination and every player in the game will attempt the trick, and success will be determined by stats (and context I assume)?

If that's the case, I'd probably like that. In FIFA I often forget who can do what, and then sometimes when I fail at a trick I'm not sure whether it was due to my failure on the sticks or the player didn't have enough stars, or what.

It'd be nice to attempt a complicated trick with a CB only for him to fall on his face! Vidic doing rainbows should be a no-no, of course. That was real worrying to read.

Can't see anything to shout about from that video really. They can still pass to their striker with one pass from midfield, it looks like. :CONFUSE:

The Barca shirt looked wicked in that vid too. Wow. Lettering and numbering looks great.

Looks exactly the same as Fifa 10. :RANT:

Mate, boot up Fifa10 cause that intro shows player models far more realistic in proportion as well as shirt accuracy.
The gameplpay portion showed the difference in running styles perfectly. I'm pretty happy with that. Can't wait to play it.

Mate, boot up Fifa10 cause that intro shows player models far more realistic in proportion as well as shirt accuracy.
The gameplpay portion showed the difference in running styles perfectly. I'm pretty happy with that. Can't wait to play it.

I'm not looking at the shitty little intro bit/player models; the game still looks like an attack fest with no build-up play possible. Doesn't look like I can put my foot on the ball and doesn't look like I even NEED to, AGAIN. It looks like the same game with no individuality.

I knew as soon as I saw yet another short game clip with absolutely nothing meaningful in it (other than a large improvement to the colouring of the kits ...) that we'd be deciding the game was crap again. Dear God.

We see a counter attack from a freekick where most of the attacking team went forward - every player sprints back into position. Really didn't seem that wrong to me. As for 'no personality' - what precise personality were you expecting to see in these clips which you didn't? Stop reading something into nothing - we'll surely have our load of info within just 7 days, and a few days later impression after impression after impression.

The graphics in the intro sequence are - superb. Very encouraging. Love the kits.

Last edited:
I'm not looking at the shitty little intro bit/player models; the game still looks like an attack fest with no build-up play possible. Doesn't look like I can put my foot on the ball and doesn't look like I even NEED to, AGAIN. It looks like the same game with no individuality.

That's the biggest overreaction to a legitimate attack I've ever seen. The ball drops to Xavi on the halfway line and Sergio Ramos, dropping back, doesn't see the man behind him, so Xavi picks him out with a through ball. The only valid question is whether Ramos missed his man due to bad AI or his defensive abilities.

There is something wrong with the movement, like there isn't enough momentum (or something) in there. They can turn around so quickly with perfect touches all the time, almost ice hockey-like in the movement. Not sure how to explain it, but it's like they always have high speed and they never have to accelerate again.

The ball physics on the freekick looked much better now and I like that you can push people away with your back towards them and arms back, looks great.

The Ronaldo freekick annoyed me, his freekicks are based on technique - if he connects with them properly AND their on target, the keeper will struggle not only with the movement but with the power. So for one connecting perfectly is something which should have a meter to "determine" it as if he connects like he does in that video with the pace theirs no way the keeper should just pluck it out the air like a feather and its 1 out of 10 he connects that sweetly as alot of time he just hoofs it into row Z or scuffs it.

Considering P+ and were talking about Ronaldo who is a star thats pretty poor.

The Ronaldo freekick annoyed me, his freekicks are based on technique - if he connects with them properly AND their on target, the keeper will struggle not only with the movement but with the power. So for one connecting perfectly is something which should have a meter to "determine" it as if he connects like he does in that video with the pace theirs no way the keeper should just pluck it out the air like a feather and its 1 out of 10 he connects that sweetly as alot of time he just hoofs it into row Z or scuffs it.

They don't simulate the wobble in air, that's why they have problem holding it. In the video the shot isn't THAT hard and since there is no wobble it's pretty easy for a good keeper to hold on to it.

Hopefully they can add the wobble effect in FIFA 12, it's such a big part of football (poor keepers).

The ball goes towards the keeper. Surely it's not a bad thing that he didn't do what he'd probably do in FIFA 10 and parry it horribly!?! I mean really - what do you want? For Ronaldo to score even if he hits it directly at the keeper? No thanks. If it was from closer maybe, but I really don't want to see people scoring when hitting it so close to the keeper anymore.

Last edited:
There is something wrong with the movement, like there isn't enough momentum (or something) in there. They can turn around so quickly with perfect touches all the time, almost ice hockey-like in the movement. Not sure how to explain it, but it's like they always have high speed and they never have to accelerate again.

It's the movement of the players when changing direction as much as anything. While it isn't as bad for this as PES 2011 seems to be, the rate at which the players change direction is still too angular, not conserving the directional momentum as well as you'd expect in real life. If you think about the knock-on where your player skips to the side, that looks particularly amazing because the directional movement of the player relative to the ball differs.

We'll see how it feels during the upcoming hands-on events and when it comes out, and if it feels like the turning ability for the averagely mobile players seems too high then we can always let Gary know and get them to reduce it via the server-based gameplay tuning. You'll still have that angular turning where the player and the ball always move in the exact same direction, but we should be able to get the rate of momentum change slowed down.

Last edited:
Just seen this video

Well, they still move like they are skating, so the whole dribbling mechanic will still be screwed this year again which will cause many problems with tackling, dropping the shoulder (the only way to beat players will still be the trick stick) etc.., but I'm pleased the graphics look MUCH better than FIFA 10.

Bit concerned about the defenses STILL pushing up too much!

The entrance looks much, MUCH better! The player models are still awful but far more human like!

I have the feeling this game will be ok, far more solid and will have less errors than 09 and 10, but it won't be brilliant. Will be satisfying though! Like a 7, 8/10 game!

The gameplpay portion showed the difference in running styles perfectly.

Well for me there isn't good! They still have that same dribbling animation and have just made it faster for players like Iniesta etc.. and slower for centre backs, still looks like they are skating. I'm pleased, but not hugley impressed tbh!

Holy shit. I just noticed something. Watch the strikers movement as soon as David Villa controls the ball from GK. He doesn't give it to him but that striker INSTANTLY makes a diagonal run. That NEVER happened in Fifa10.

Quality. Check it out.

And to the complaints. It was a fast break from a saved freekick. England got undone like that in the world cup. Remember? And you even see rela madrid bombing it back. No issue here. It's looking good imo.

edit: Klash: It's already been mentioned that you can beat players without the trick-stick this year. By none other than EA themselves too. And the very fact that Barca are the AI and real is a human controlled team shows how much the AI has improved too. Iniesta shows that dude the wrong way totally, buying space for a shot (that we never see :().

The skating looks a little bit odd but it's not a gamebreaker for me. The vid doesn't even show us any build-up play so i'm not sure where the concern is really. There's about 3 passes in that whole entire vid so i'm not sure what you're judging that off. I'm sure we'll see more gameplay @ Gamescom next week.

Last edited:
It's the movement of the players when changing direction as much as anything. While it isn't as bad for this as PES 2011 seems to be, the rate at which the players change direction is still too angular, not conserving the directional momentum as well as you'd expect in real life. If you think about the knock-on where your player skips to the side, that looks particularly amazing because the directional movement of the player relative to the ball differs.

We'll see how it feels during the upcoming hands-on events and when it comes out, and if it feels like the turning ability for the averagely mobile players seems too high then we can always let Gary know and get them to reduce it via the server-based gameplay tuning. You'll still have that angular turning where the player and the ball always move in the exact same direction, but we should be able to get the rate of momentum change slowed down.

Yes, thats the big issue for me, it's looks exactly like the world cup game in terms of movements. It's bad imo. They players all seem as if they don't weigh anything. When they turn, it's like their body weight and momentum aren't calculated into he turn, it's like they are on, (again) skates.

First touches, i've just realized in that video look terrible, they don't seem to really make a proper movement to actually get the ball under control, instead the ball seems to stick to players like a magnet! This is something i was concerned about even with the personality + is that can the engine effective calculate and represent a player attempting to control the ball or will it automatic 'stick' to him?

The game did it great in 08 and needed to be worked on for it to be outstanding. it's like that whole system 08 had has not been lost and there's a very basic system where the ball sticks to every player but there's just one factor which can simulate technically poor players taking a heavy touch now.

I'm disappointed, because i remember asking you about this romi and you gave a decent answer saying players felt like 'little weight's, it dosen't seem to be true at all here. But don't think it's your fault, i think Gary must of toned down the weight effect for players maybe after you played it? Please ask him to look at this when you next see him :)

edit: Klash: It's already been mentioned that you can beat players without the trick-stick this year. By none other than EA themselves too. And the very fact that Barca are the AI and real is a human controlled team shows how much the AI has improved too. Iniesta shows that dude the wrong way totally, buying space for a shot (that we never see :().

The skating looks a little bit odd but it's not a gamebreaker for me. The vid doesn't even show us any build-up play so i'm not sure where the concern is really. There's about 3 passes in that whole entire vid so i'm not sure what you're judging that off. I'm sure we'll see more gameplay @ Gamescom next week.

It won't be gamebreaking i don't think, but it's bad in terms of simulation. I think it will be pretty much the same as the world cup game but there will be more depth if you choose to use it really. I don't thinkt he tactics will be enough for this game in terms of simulation.

But i hope it's fun! I miss using the manual through ball and slotting passes in players/CPU couldn't see comin, and using the trick (used to be really good at it) and beating a arrogant bastard online who quits with his tail between his legs after beating his mighty 5 star side with a team from the segunda division :COOL:

When your beating someone and he quits, don't send him abuse, play mind games :)) Say stuff like

"Where did you go"? "Come on man, never give up." You will be surprised with the responses when you act calm with these irate gamers :LOL:

The Ronaldo freekick annoyed me, his freekicks are based on technique - if he connects with them properly AND their on target, the keeper will struggle not only with the movement but with the power.

More 'hit and hope' than placing it int he top corner. Sorry i much prefer the traditional curl it in the top corner than his knuckle, 'exploit the ball' style.

So for one connecting perfectly is something which should have a meter to "determine" it as if he connects like he does in that video with the pace theirs no way the keeper should just pluck it out the air like a feather and its 1 out of 10 he connects that sweetly as alot of time he just hoofs it into row Z or scuffs it.

Ea want to do it, so do konami, working on a better free kick method, still I'm find it hard to think of how to replicate a freekick with a controller.

One thing EA haven't replicated at all is the factor is mishitting the ball/scuffing. Konami have this in a way with free kick accuracy/consistency and tenacity which pretty much affects everything the player does but factoring this in would be a start.

Back
Top Bottom