EA SPORTS FC 24

Frostbite is obviously bad. It can make you lose both fingers and toes. Without fingers you can't even play games :(

I also seem to remember a few weeks where people really liked Fifa 22. I'm not sure the engine is the real problem.
I don’t know if you do need fingers to play 23. Dribble with one stump and hit the shot button with the other.

Based on the 3-minute halves and other observations I've read in the thread, it definitely seems like @Chris Davies is right about the general direction of the game, and it's not one that Career Mode/Master League fans and grinders (like most of us, I'd presume) will probably appreciate.

Still, it's so sad that money rules everything. I mean, people at EA sports have to be conscious of the fact that "efootball" has totally abandoned any semblance of an offline mode. How hard would it be to actually put resources on Career Mode? I will cross my fingers on this, and hope that EA understands that the void in offline gaming means that there are, in reality, plenty of us who would love a decent offline mode for a 2023 game.

I'm not worried since I love the PES franchise from its beginnings to 2021, and also appreciate quite a few FIFA games, and so I will be playing football games indefinitely, no matter what happens with EA Sports FC.. That being said, I really don't understand why people can't give offline fans a deep and immersive mode in 2023. Well actually I guess I do understand it. More money to be made in transaction based stuff..... It's actually quite sad.... But in the end, I am still awaiting this release with the faint hope that it might surprise us.

Last edited:
The success of their current formula allowed them to leave FIFA, why would they change something that works well in the market?
For the love of the game, I suppose. It is possible to make money while remaining at least somewhat faithful to offline gamers. Wishful thinking, it seems. Let's wait and see. 🤷‍♂

Sony's "Sophy AI" has been added to Gran Turismo 7, and it's pretty great. Little bit about that in the latest GT7 review from Eurogamer here.

The fact that human error and emotion is included as part of the AI - with a little emoji displaying the driver's trepidation, or excitement, leading to a change in their judgement (i.e. being a bit cautious on the throttle, or a bit too liberal with it respectively) - is pretty great for the offline experience:

fVPP7JO.png

FIFA/PES used to claim that emotion played a part in the AI. I don't think that's the case any more (certainly not when players randomly get sent off in the single-player game within minutes for lunging tackles for absolutely no reason, rather than mistiming a genuine tackle, or as a result of frustration).

Could we ever have something as well-executed as this again in an EA football game?

Or - given the focus on AI being as braindead as possible (so that no FUT players can shout "AI DEFENDING!" when an AI player does their job) - do we have to face the fact that single-player EA football games will have broken AI for the rest of time?

Would too many people say AI like this is "scripting" and destroys the eSports-based level playing field?

I don't know how much I trust this "info" but... Sounds great to me, IF the gameplay supports it.

But an "Online Career Mode" with fake teams that plays like FUT, is just FUT...

If all players play the same way because mashing the pass button and spamming tricks is the one way to win (without your attributes making any difference to how you HAVE TO play), what's the point of any of it.

Interesting, nonetheless...

I fear that all effort is going into full online only modes coming in the next few years. I suspect this is the first step to that goal.

But an "Online Career Mode" with fake teams that plays like FUT, is just FUT...
It'll 100% be FUT in a different skin.

Online career mode with created clubs and randomly generated players that you can develop/increase abilities over "seasons" could be interesting and i kind of feel like they wanted to always do it.

But only if for example - Season 1 of 30/34/38 fixtures against 16/18/20 human opponents based on the league size you pick. Can edit/upload logos/kits and create stadiums. X amount of Transfers between seasons, can either stick to the same league you played season 1, or randomly get match-maked for Season 2 with 19 other human players (or into a league where there are free slots). Maybe add a D5 tier league which would match you with D5 players only, and as your team get promoted to D1 or demoted back, you are randomized each season with different clubs.

But how would actually playing work? How much games can you play during the day? 10? Or half a season? What would be the ideal half time length, 5 or 10 minutes? And if you dont show for when a certain fixture is scheduled, an AI with certain difficulty should take over when playing another human so its not a forfeit. Or AI vs AI if both are no show, obviously the team where the owner developed their players more has a better chance of winning the AI vs AI match.

There is definitely ways to expand or mix both FUT and Pro Clubs into a new "Online career mode", but i highly doubt they will do it. We will see.
I can definitely see a pattern of them trying to save money for licencing this way though.

Is this not very obviously encouraging problematic pack buying? The more you buy, the better odds you get? Seems... At best, forcing the game to become a pay-to-win experience for everyone. At worst, blatantly taking advantage of addiction.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it. Or unless it's fake - but the guy is bullish in the comments and says it's 100% going to happen. And worst of all - it's being *celebrated*...

If that stuff is true, it's basically the death of a real world based career mode.. so, in short, the death of career mode. Online career will be something completely different and, as they put it in that tweet, just completely unappealing to me.

Expected, but still pretty sad nonetheless.

A proper online/co-op career mode was an obvious addition 10 years ago, but still hasn't happened. Plus a league system for Pro Clubs another obvious addition that has never happened. Quality single player games are some of the best selling games of the year. So why can't EA hire a bunch of people to focus just on single player? As I'm sure they'd make millions in profit from it, without affecting FUT profits negatively and would actually increase their fanbase to include people that just want single player.

The plan will see investments over the next three years across multiple grassroots football projects. This announcement follows EA SPORTS’s new brand identity, logo and vision reveal for the interactive future of football: EA SPORTS FC.

“EA SPORTS FC is a symbol for a positive future of football, and that future will be built on providing young people with the access and tools necessary to follow their dreams,” said David Jackson, VP of Brand Marketing at EA SPORTS. “We are looking forward to partnering with football organisations and icons across the globe to inspire the next generation of young football fans and grow their love of the game.”

Today was the first of many FC FUTURES activations as EA SPORTS and the Football Foundation, the charity of The Premier League, The FA and UK Government unveiled the ‘Rocky and Wrighty Arena’ at Turnham Academy in South London. Opened by England legend Ian Wright, the pitch will provide additional football access for youth in the area and help inspire the next generation of players.

FC FUTURES will build a publicly available library of training practices, produced in five languages, that will be available later this year for young players and community coaches to view online and use for their training plans.

Additionally, FC FUTURES will provide community access to football by supporting the creation and refurbishment of pitches, facilitated and distributed through foundations, federations and leagues.

Lastly, FC FUTURES will invest in grassroots training accessories which will deliver football equipment in the form of balls, bibs, cones and wider essential equipment.

https://news.ea.com/press-releases/...bally-to-Grow-Community-Football/default.aspx

Hi David, my first question will be obvious: What is EA's fundamental ambition with this rebranding from FIFA to EA Sports FC?

I think the announcement of EA Sports FC created a lot of excitement this weekend. We had live coverage of Premier League and La Liga games, with players and talent from around the world, and there was a huge amount of energy. Our ambition is twofold: to provide an authentic and realistic soccer gaming experience for interactive soccer fans around the world, while continuing to innovate and constantly improve our games to meet our players' expectations. We are confident that this new brand will allow us to achieve great things in the future.

What are these limitations you're talking about with FIFA?

I think any time you employ a partner, there are a number of inherent limitations. FIFA has been an incredibly strong ally for us for 30 years. I think they authenticated our platform, right from the start, a long time ago. But over time, we felt that we were getting feedback from players who expected us to move in directions that maybe required us to have our own brand and our own intellectual property. So there are not necessarily limitations just in the game space, I think there are limitations in terms of our opportunity to provide a platform for younger players or to be able to bring the real world of soccer into our platform. Obviously, soccer is a very complex mix of rights and licensing. And if you want to leverage UEFA, the Premier League or the NWSL, you have to do it in a very democratic way when you borrow someone else's IP. Now that we have our own intellectual property, we can decide how best to meet the wants and needs of the players. And I think that creates a reduction of limitations, at least in our minds, even from a mindset perspective.
How does this change bring these new 'unlimited' opportunities you speak of?

In July, we'll be talking more about product and feature innovation. This is a continuation of the first phase that was launched this weekend. The positive collective energy that results is the key indicator for us, because we are no longer limited by a single partner (FIFA, ed.). We have the freedom to create what we want under our own brand. To me, this represents a shift in the mindset of the development organization from being held back by past accomplishments to focusing on the future and the experiences it can offer fans.
Would you say it's more of a continuity with the previous franchise or a break?

Yes, I think it's a bit of both. And I think it's very important that we maintain all the innovation and complexity that we've brought to the players over time. We're expected to continue to do that and we will, but we also see this as a huge opportunity to change our mindset and think about what we could achieve if we didn't have limitations. So I think going forward, our development organization is really well positioned to think about future opportunities for the fans, but also for our talented marketing and brand teams. When we think about how we work with partners like La Liga or the Premier League and Bundesliga athletes, there is no limit to what we could achieve to bring soccer fans closer to the sport through the lens of our product.

How do your historical partners (players and leagues) perceive this change in this case?

I mean, they are really, really, really excited about it. And I think you can see that this weekend with over 300 partners that are live with us and helping promote our brand to their fans. One of the reasons we wanted to launch the new brand so early is to tap into some of the energy of the soccer seasons, when the most interesting moments come in April, whether it's in La Liga or the Premier League. We're coming to the end of the season, and many of our rights partners wanted to make sure they could enjoy the benefits of this huge new brand that we're launching into the market. So yes, a lot of them are incredibly excited. I think they feel the energy that we feel and the excitement that we have to have our own brand, to be able to collaborate with them and put our logo next to theirs. And for them to be really proud to be our partner is a huge opportunity for us.

One of the main issues in a soccer video game is the balance between the simulation side and the fun side. How did you approach this with EA SPORTS FC?

Yes, that's a great question. One of the fundamental principles that our development team adheres to is: easy to learn, hard to master. It's simple to pick up and play. We want to make sure that we democratize our platform and that the widest range of people can come in and play, from little kids playing with their parents or older parents, to professional esports players who can pick up the controls and feel what it's like to play soccer for real. It's a very delicate balance. But I think we're getting it right.

More: https://www.90min.com/fr/posts/entr...le-ere-sans-limites-pour-le-jeu-video-de-foot

The plan will see investments over the next three years across multiple grassroots football projects. This announcement follows EA SPORTS’s new brand identity, logo and vision reveal for the interactive future of football: EA SPORTS FC.

“EA SPORTS FC is a symbol for a positive future of football, and that future will be built on providing young people with the access and tools necessary to follow their dreams,” said David Jackson, VP of Brand Marketing at EA SPORTS. “We are looking forward to partnering with football organisations and icons across the globe to inspire the next generation of young football fans and grow their love of the game.”

Today was the first of many FC FUTURES activations as EA SPORTS and the Football Foundation, the charity of The Premier League, The FA and UK Government unveiled the ‘Rocky and Wrighty Arena’ at Turnham Academy in South London. Opened by England legend Ian Wright, the pitch will provide additional football access for youth in the area and help inspire the next generation of players.

FC FUTURES will build a publicly available library of training practices, produced in five languages, that will be available later this year for young players and community coaches to view online and use for their training plans.

Additionally, FC FUTURES will provide community access to football by supporting the creation and refurbishment of pitches, facilitated and distributed through foundations, federations and leagues.

Lastly, FC FUTURES will invest in grassroots training accessories which will deliver football equipment in the form of balls, bibs, cones and wider essential equipment.

https://news.ea.com/press-releases/...bally-to-Grow-Community-Football/default.aspx
Let's see if within 2026 we can stop playing hockey.

Our ambition is twofold: to provide an authentic and realistic soccer gaming experience
They have to stop using the word "realistic" in all their PR because it's objectively not true. It's tantamount to false advertising at this stage. They really, really stressed the "realism" in their FIFA 23 pre-release videos and it was painfully obvious in all of them that defensive AI was non-existent.

EDIT: Also:

professional esports players who can pick up the controls and feel what it's like to play soccer for real

The absolute polar-fucking-opposite of this is true... Other than FUT, this is the player base that plays the least realistic game / style imaginable. Just look at the scorelines of all the "eSports" matches, they're all in the region of 10-8...

You get more of a feeling of "what it's like to play soccer for real" from games 10-20 years older. Absolute corporate nonsense. But I hope it changes one day, obviously.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a great question. One of the fundamental principles that our development team adheres to is: easy to learn, hard to master. It's simple to pick up and play. We want to make sure that we democratize our platform and that the widest range of people can come in and play, from little kids playing with their parents or older parents, to professional esports players who can pick up the controls and feel what it's like to play soccer for real. It's a very delicate balance. But I think we're getting it right.

I love it that the idea somebody might want the game as it was is so far removed from their head and intentions, that "simulation" became now synonymous with "professional esports". It's like the focus to try and reproduce the fundamentals of the real thing never existed.

Sigh.

They have to stop using the word "realistic" in all their PR because it's objectively not true. It's tantamount to false advertising at this stage. They really, really stressed the "realism" in their FIFA 23 pre-release videos and it was painfully obvious in all of them that defensive AI was non-existent.

The last paragraph above is really an eye opener in this sense. They have their own meaning of "realistic" now, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom