Arsenal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am not really an Arsenal fan, but just wanted to ask you Arsenal fans what do you think about ALiaksander Hleb, i saw Arsenal's recent matches and he keeps playing really well and rarely gives a wrong pass, so what do you guys think ?

inter_211 said:
Am not really an Arsenal fan, but just wanted to ask you Arsenal fans what do you think about ALiaksander Hleb, i saw Arsenal's recent matches and he keeps playing really well and rarely gives a wrong pass, so what do you guys think ?

Ive been really impreseed with him. He fits like a glove into our team. Sometimes he tries to take on too many people when a simple pass will do.
But with Wenger, he's in the right hands.

Good result tonight. Got a bit nail-biting at the end tho. Pissed of that we didnt keep the 2 goal cushion, otherwise I couldve put my feet up.
But the tables looking pretty already , and all without Thierry as well.

Pires7 said:
Good result tonight. Got a bit nail-biting at the end tho. Pissed of that we didnt keep the 2 goal cushion, otherwise I couldve put my feet up.
But the tables looking pretty already , and all without Thierry as well.

If it wasn't a nail biting finish, it wouldn't be Arsenal! :D We always do things the hard way.

Reyes was fantastic, and Campbell was a fooking monster. Ralph also played well, and i'm normally ridiculing him.

Best start to a champ league campaign in years. Not saying we'll go all the way, but hopefully this will instill some confidence in the boys. They came good yesterday. We actually looked wider on the pitch instead of narrow, and how many times did Ca$hley Cole cross the ball into the box? Aye, big centre forward needed to finish those crosses, but looks like Wenger may finally be listening to comments made in the press about the "no plan b".

Bring on Glum Brum on Sunday. :)

Lets be honest though, with the teams in the group we are up against, we are doing exactly what we should be doing and thats walking the group. The real test will start in the knockout.

I am not taking anything away from the boys though, it was a great performance at what is a difficult place to go and get a result. Sol and Kolo were awesome, and Freddie's goal settled us and unsettled them. Next up Sparta Prague. A win there and we have 1 foot in the knockout stage!!

Good result last night and who would have thought that Thun would be in second after two games with 3 points! I would have gladly taken a draw last night but as Arseblog said today "we've played prettier football and lost".

I think it would be good for the players confidence if we could win every game in the group stage to give us that European winning mentality, but just making it with say a game to spare will do for me.

How funny was it when Kolo freaked out last night at lauren! I thought Ralph had quite a poor game.

Still bring on the Czechs!

inter_211 said:

He looks like a real talent so far. He is occasionally a bit greedy and sometimes bites off a bit more than he can chew, but mostly his touch and dribbling skills are awesome. He fits the Wenger model like a glove and looks a decent successor to Pires. The only slight concern is that he looks like a provider rather than a goal scorer in a team of providers and few goal scorers. We need a predatory, out-and-out ace finisher to cap of all this build up talent!

Decent result yesterday. Reyes is putting a decent run together, I think that must be 3 assists in 3 games? Campbell has found his passion again, surely he can't be overlooked for England? Flamini also stepped up to the plate last night, even though it wasn't the toughest opposition he got on with his job quietly and effectively. It's all European experience for our fledgeling squad.

Clockender said:
Lets be honest though, with the teams in the group we are up against, we are doing exactly what we should be doing and thats walking the group. The real test will start in the knockout.

I am not taking anything away from the boys though, it was a great performance at what is a difficult place to go and get a result. Sol and Kolo were awesome, and Freddie's goal settled us and unsettled them. Next up Sparta Prague. A win there and we have 1 foot in the knockout stage!!

Yeah your right this is what we should be doing in this kind of group. I said a while back that we should end up with a minimum of 15 points.

We've overcome one hurdle (Ajax away) now just Sparta Prague away poses any sort of problem.

We have to learn to win ugly at times especially away from home. Defending as a unit was V. good as we allowed them possesion where they could not hurt us. I'd say about 20% or more of their possesion was in their half.

This is how we should have played away at Bayern Munich last season.

How good was Sol last night! I think on form and experience he should be a definite to start the England games with Terry but Sven will again show he has no bollocks and stick with Rio. Now Rio is a good defender but he's not Sol and he's not playing well at the moment.

Does anyone else wish Sol had been made captain this season now?

Sol is a leader but he's not always in the side, plus at 31 he's not much of a long term option.

The start of Henry's captaincy has not been great with patchy form followed by/in part due to a long term niggling injury. However, I for one still believe Titi is the man for the job. He's the club's standard bearer and he's given some inspirational performances in recent years.

Remember powering us into the lead vs Chel$ @ Higbury 04/05? Hatrick and wonder goal vs Liverpool, dumping Carragher on his arse, following our exit from the CL in 03/04? Bossing the Inter defence in the 5-1 @ the San Siro, 03/04? He's A-grade captain material in my book.

Fair comment Joystick but you only have to look at history to realise the best captains are defenders or midfielders. Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Tony Adams, Alan Hansen, even Frankie McLintock. Even today you have John Terry, Roy Keane. Forwards just don't seem to fit into the job IMO. I would prefer someone who can lead from the back, and in our team thats Sol.

You also say Sol isn't a long term option, but I think he will be with us for 2 more years at least, can we say that about Henry?? Thats another story anyway.

I would have liked to see Cole get the job before the tapping up scandal but I think he will have to wait a bit now to get that opportunity, if he's still around in 2 years then he would be ideal.

Last edited:
jamie_mack said:
What about Pele, Marodonna, Cruyf and Platini all great captains....?

How many of these were centre-forwards? Pele - And he wasn't even a captain as Iceman says. Maradonna was a midfield\forward but there are alsways going to be exceptions to the rule. Cruyff and Platini were both midfielders and as I said before, they make good captains.

Clockender said:
Fair comment Joystick but you only have to look at history to realise the best captains are defenders or midfielders. Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Tony Adams, Alan Hansen, even Frankie McLintock. Even today you have John Terry, Roy Keane. Forwards just don't seem to fit into the job IMO. I would prefer someone who can lead from the back, and in our team thats Sol.

Hmm well I see where you're coming from, but if you consider the list jamie_mack posted (plus Gullit for Holland) you can be a forward and a good captain.

Personally I think it boils down to the individual. Henry is not a regular striker, he doesn't sit in the oppponent's box all game, he get gets involved in the build up play and is always there or there abouts in scuffles with the ref etc. He's also far and away our best player, and also the first person most people think of when they think Arsenal.

Agree with you about Cole, he would have been the man but I think he's blown it for most Arsenal fans. Having said that I must concede that he has been playing out of his skin so far this campaign at home and in Europe. Maybe if he keeps it up and stays put for a few more years.

I think Pele was captain in the 1966 world cup and he was captain when he played for Santos, but your right none of the were out and out strikers! I think Shearer must be the only exception!

I find it so sad that Van Persie gets all this negative exposure in the media so early in his career. This isnt good for his career.

Im goin to the match tomorrow.. Woohooo.
Anyone else going? Regulars like Clockender and Nicky what about you?

Pires7 said:

Yeah I went, how can Moanrinho call it an boring game? For 70 mins it was Arsenal against Maik Taylor. It was exciting stuff. Why is it that keepers regularly play brilliantly for the opposition at Highbury? He was immense, and I have to say I did feel a little sorry for him after the goal went it because you won't see a finer goalkeeping display than that this season. All his good work was undone.

I thought our defence looked class again, Sol should start for England IMO. Once again RVP rescued us when it looked like it wasn't going to be our day. I have to say that Booby P looks out of sorts and should be dropped forthwith IMO. Maybe a spell on bench will sort his form and head out.

It was 3 welcome points though, Chelsea look miles ahead at the moment but lets hope they get carried away their position. Their biggest danger is complacency now, its going so well for them. Are they gonna slip up, are they gonna beat our 49 game unbeaten record? I fucking hope they lose soon cos all the plastic Chelsea fans at my work are becoming unbearable.

Please someone beat them!

I've noticed a new phenomenon... had a friend of mine who used to support Liverpool in high school. Went to play footie with him in the park yesterday, and he was wearing a chelsea shirt with the Coors sponsor.. when i asked him about it.. he was like "i'm original.. always supported chelsea"... the shirts are f*cking everywhere. It's like whoever comes to London on holiday, buys a chelsea shirt too... f*Cking tourists! argh!

I also think we need to buy Maik Taylor.. what a keeper! Absolutely amazing!

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
I've noticed a new phenomenon... had a friend of mine who used to support Liverpool in high school. Went to play footie with him in the park yesterday, and he was wearing a chelsea shirt with the Coors sponsor.. when i asked him about it.. he was like "i'm original.. always supported chelsea"... the shirts are f*cking everywhere. It's like whoever comes to London on holiday, buys a chelsea shirt too... f*Cking tourists! argh!

I also think we need to buy Maik Taylor.. what a keeper! Absolutely amazing!

Ahh the Chelsea phenomenon! The third generation of this particular disease, following on from the Liverpool variant in the 1980's and Man Utd variant in the 1990's. :mrgreen:

Pires7 said:

Yeah I was there although I don't have any more tickets for the rest of the season at the moment! Hoping for some more red member sales.

I thought we played well and if it wasn't for Maik Taylor we could've had a hatful. If we'd scored earlier it would have definately been more!

I have to agree with you clockender about ol snake hips, I think a spell on the bench could do for him what it did to Jens and Sol.

Pleased with the win though as it looked like it was going to be a frustrating afternoon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom