Arsenal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pires7 said:
Henry out til November

This season just keeps getting worse and worse :(

Feeling really depressed right now.

It's better he gets over it though, these are the games he'll miss

Everton, West Ham and Birmingham - and possibly West Brom and Manchester City.

To be honest they are games we should be able to do OK without him (No offence to these teams) and hopefully Theirry will come back fresh to tear teams apart in the important games!

Yup, opportunity for the kids to step up. Arsenal players moan about lack of chances in the first team, well this is about as perfect an opportunity as you are ever likely to have. Van Persie and Reyes should be the first choice partnership IMO, maybe Quincy will play in the 2nd half? Dennis will probably have some say on the match, but then again he played at the weekend and Wenger may want to save him for saturday.

First Arsenal game of the season for me, can't wait! I still think it's a farcical situation that it's so much easier to see Champions League football than Premiership but hey, that's that. :roll:

Joystick said:
Yup, opportunity for the kids to step up. Arsenal players moan about lack of chances in the first team, well this is about as perfect an opportunity as you are ever likely to have. Van Persie and Reyes should be the first choice partnership IMO, maybe Quincy will play in the 2nd half? Dennis will probably have some say on the match, but then again he played at the weekend and Wenger may want to save him for saturday.

I really hope Quincy does play because he would terrify a lot of the Premiership defences. After seeing his performances and the under 19 championship along with the games he played in the carling cup last year he has a lot of potential.

Joystick said:
First Arsenal game of the season for me, can't wait! I still think it's a farcical situation that it's so much easier to see Champions League football than Premiership but hey, that's that. :roll:

It is strange that. I'm off tonight as well which will be my third this season and i've also got tickets for the Everton and Brum games. It's always the easiest time for red members to get tickets though as lots of silver members are on holiday.

Butatista - Do season ticket holders have to pay for champions league games?

No its included in the price of the season ticket. With the season ticket you get up to 7 cup games (FA or CL) not the Carling Cup tho. I can't wait for tonight, I fear Bergy will play, He's vice-captain. I would prefer RVP up with Jose tho. I also want to see Quincy given a go in the 2nd half if things are going well.

Butatista said:
No its included in the price of the season ticket. With the season ticket you get up to 7 cup games (FA or CL) not the Carling Cup tho. I can't wait for tonight, I fear Bergy will play, He's vice-captain. I would prefer RVP up with Jose tho. I also want to see Quincy given a go in the 2nd half if things are going well.

So you have to start paying if we have more than 7 homes cup games.

Wenger talks sense!

''I'm very concerned. I feel the attaction of English football has always been positive but the trend is to attack less. If this is to get into the brain of football it will go downhill quickly. The cautious approach exists everywhere in The Premiership. If everyone refuses to play we will get nowhere. Teams are trying not to lose and there is less risk in English football. 'The grounds aren't full, although perhaps that has something to do with the price as well.''

He's spot on IMO, I think arsenal are the only team left in the prem who play "attacking football"

What do you call attacking football, getting the ball and doing sprints up the pitch and having a shot for the full 90+ minutes?

I am pretty sure every team would play attacking football if it wasn't for something called counter attack. I watched West Ham hump Villa and the game wasn't exactly boring, attacking all the time, so I guess my views on attacking football are completely different to everyone elses.

kingpug said:
What do you call attacking football, getting the ball and doing sprints up the pitch and having a shot for the full 90+ minutes?

I call it football that involves playing at 4-4-2 (most of the time) and trying to score as many goals in agame as you can.

It does not consist of sitting back boring your opponents to death and when they fall over and die you tap the ball past them :D

Nickybaker said:
I call it football that involves playing at 4-4-2 (most of the time) and trying to score as many goals in agame as you can.

Exactly, and no I wanst being funny whoever asked...

most teams in the Prem are playing 5 in midfield and 1 upfront & IMO its killing the game.

Another part of the interview Wenger claims that fear of failure is causing managers to play this way, and IMO that includes our old war horse Fergie...

If it continues its not gonna be good viewing....

Nickybaker said:
I do agree, I can't stand boring football. Chelsea started it and now teams like Bolton and Blackburn and doing it but WORSE!!!
I meant Mastermind.

But its true. Teams like Arsenal and (at times) Man Utd play good attacking football, only for the opposition to park the bus and steal a draw.

RuneEdge said:
I meant Mastermind.

But its true. Teams like Arsenal and (at times) Man Utd play good attacking football, only for the opposition to park the bus and steal a draw.

well i'd like to say that about us but the last few seasons havent been our best in terms of going forward....

Thats true but our current team is arguably more attacking (the individuals that is) and have more potential than we've seen in a long time.

It's a really thorny issue. On one hand, everyone wants to see fast, flowing attacking football with bucketloads of chances, hence why these 'boring' teams are lambasted for thier style of play. But on the other hand, can you blame them? Take Blackburn for example, if they play against Man Utd or Arsenal and try to play them at their own game they know they will get turned over because man for man they just don't have the quality to out-play these teams. So they have a choice, either roll over and die and remain cannon fodder for richer, bigger clubs or sit deep, neutralise the dangermen and prey for a skanky, late goal 1-0 victory.

There's too much money in the game these days, so much so that relegation can literally spell financial ruin for many teams. In light of that, it's the sensible option to curb the attacking flair and win by any means necessary, not just for pride but for bare survival.

In other words, I wish every team grabbed their balls and just played properly, but I do appreciate that it's a bit rich for the bigger clubs to tell the small fry to try and compete on an equal level to them. It's a bit like pairing a heavy weight with a light weight, they're gonna get battered every time.

This is ultimately a product of the ridiculous wages players are paid. If you can only just meet your wage bill you can't even consider relegation, and hence you can't risk losing at any cost.

Last edited:
This is true. What are the lower teams in the Prem supposed to do? Attack and get battered or defend and maybe sneak a draw.

Fulham came to Highbury in our last home game and played good football and attacked at every opportunity, we dispatched them 4-1. I don't blame teams for shutting up shop, its part of the game.

I think Wenger's comments were a sly swipe at Chelsea as they play this way on occasions. Its a bit hypocritical though as we did it in the cup final to good effect.

Clockender said:
Its a bit hypocritical though as we did it in the cup final to good effect.

I dont think Wenger set out to be defensive in the FA Cup Final, its just we were outplayed on the day, and all we ended up doing was defending.

Arsenal tracking 'new Klinsmann' Kiessling
tribalfootball.com - September 14, 2005

Arsenal are keeping tabs on Germany U21 international striker Stefan Kiessling.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger had Nurnberg striker Kiessling scouted at last week's international between England and Germany.

The 20 year-old has been likened to Jurgen Klinsmann and is rated at £4 million by his Bundesliga club.

anybody heard about this? :lol:

dbt6large.jpg

WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!

Joystick said:
dbt6large.jpg

WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!WE'VE GOT DENNIS BERGKAMP!

Calm down you were only playing FC thunn.lol

Thats not the point. The point was we had ten men, but didnt back down at the end, and Dennis being Dennis never gave up. WALKING ALONG.. SINGIN A SONG.. WALKIN IN A BERGKAMP WONDERLAND

Well I have to say that was a shocking decision for the red card last night. Since when has a high foot been anything more than a yellow unless it showed serious intent?

The boys did well last night although the lack of shooting really does frustrate me and at times we did seem to lack ideas. Great to see us score a basic header from a corner though.

It was also good to see Sol back playing last night, he got a massive cheer when he first touched the ball.

The ground had a fantastic atmosphere last night one of the best i've seen in a long time, did you feel that too Clockender (Butatista).

Great end to the game last night, we got what we deserved. A win! The sending off was a terrible decision, it was right in front of me and I nearly choked on my hotdog when the ref produced the red card!! Then they equalised from what could only be described as afreak goal. But we kept plugging away, and got our just rewards.

I have to say I thought Reyes was superb last night, keep this form up Jose!!

Yes Nicky the atmos was great, especially at the end!! Theres nothing like an injury time winner to raise the roof!! Serves those twats right who left early !! Ha ha that'll teach you! Nicky, where were you sitting?

West lower block O, I was in row 32 so the view was pretty good and it was at the end with both Arsenal goals which is always nice.

Reyes seems to play better without Henry present.

We deserved to win but with all the possesion we had we did not penetrate as much as we would've liked. We only wanted to score the perfect goal, why was no one shooting? Why did Hleb start on the bench?

I'm not getting carried away cause will played probably the lowest ranked team in the CL. We need a different dimension when things are not going right and we need to defend better as a team.

But satisfied with 3 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom