Anth's 23 Mods // Gameplay v6.0 Released

I haven't tested yet as I'm locked in on my working on my own mod for now, but I definitely will. Curious to see what he's done, it sounds great.
Of course, Mate. Everyone of you Guys have his own Vision for the GP. Really appreciate it. I could test your v1.1 mod also. I can´t say something new about my last review of v.1.0 But I tested v.1.1 with 4 lower League Matches as well. Than 2 Games with Top Teams, Man City vs Bayern, Arsenal vs Liverpool.
It´s remarkable to play lower League matches compared to Top Leagues related to Tempo, first touch misses or errors, ground path errors. I like this fact much with the errors now in game, that´s why I repeated it often. So sorry for that when things replayed in my review. It´s because of the Vanilla game wants to teach us Football is straight lined without errors etc. and to see a 100 Millionen Euro Striker like Harry Kane or even Jack Grealish misses a 110% goal chance now 10 meters in front of my goal is satisfying. :D But I need to mention Grealish scores a goal against me in second half as well. haha.
Idk how often says my english commentator "oh, what a sloppy pass". Great.
What I also like are the physical part of the game now. Much more fights of the ball and tacklings didn´t end up after 1 second. AI passing clever the ball around and combine them sometimes with a long pass what looks great. Midfield gaming is here also present what improves the feeling of a real Soccer match compared to Tiki Taka in default game. I tried to repair Bayerns loss vs City from Tuesday evening real Soccer CL game, but I failed also. Lost 1:2. :))I know you are encouraging to improve your mod because there is always space to improve, you know the deal. Curious about your next version. So keep it up.

Btw. it´s not only reading here in FIFA editing section some new FIFA interested Members asking if they should buy FIFA 16 or not, in the meantime there are members FIFA 23 interested because I guess it makes the round that good work is done in the FIFA 23 threads related to make the game playable. I really like that. :)) Of course mainly to the work of Paul. But the season have some more weeks to offer for the mods of all.

Next update should be a good one guys! I'm making good progress with refining pass/shot errors for a much deeper experience. EA really have all the tools to create such a good game, they just don't make things pronounced enough to actually impact.

Hey James,

just a minor thing just coming to my mind. When I defend against the AI in the corner area, I shuffle and jockey to just block the crossing path, they sometimes dribble out of bounds. it goes on with throw in or kick from keeper. It’s doesn’t happen a lot but when it does I do notice.

@Topaz that detailed feedback was ace, man! 💪

Hey James,

just a minor thing just coming to my mind. When I defend against the AI in the corner area, I shuffle and jockey to just block the crossing path, they sometimes dribble out of bounds. it goes on with throw in or kick from keeper. It’s doesn’t happen a lot but when it does I do notice.

@Topaz that detailed feedback was ace, man! 💪
Hey, yeah that will happen at times. I know what's causing it but I'd rather keep it like that to keep the freedom of the ball the way it is. It's just a little byproduct of that unfortunately. I've found most of the time it's kept in, but I do know what you're talking about.

Hey, yeah that will happen at times. I know what's causing it but I'd rather keep it like that to keep the freedom of the ball the way it is. It's just a little byproduct of that unfortunately. I've found most of the time it's kept in, but I do know what you're talking about.
Yes. This.
i take it when the rest stays ace. 😊 keep it up! 💪

*v2.0 Release* - Edit: Link changed to v2.1

Here is v2.0 guys, ready for TU11.

Changes are mainly related to passing/shooting errors. This is an area that will most likely need refining as we all play more, but at the moment I'm quite happy with what I've seen. I've tried to make it contextual and purposeful with differences between players/teams ability.

It's important to not just look at passing completion % either, as a lot of the changes come in the character of the pass. The result of these differences impact how you attack with different teams/players, so they should add up to a deeper experience. So if you play as Fulham or a lower EPL team for example, longer passes, driven passes etc can still come off but the delivery won't be laser guided to the player with the same speed or accuracy as the top guys as often. Just something to keep in mind when you play.

There's a byproduct that I'm noticing that I think is really positive coming out of these changes I've made but I don't want to say what it is, I want to see if other people notice it too.

For reference, the crossing thing is something I still haven't spent a lot of time on but I did keep the original change I thought made a difference so we'll see with that one.

There's still things I want to do and areas I want to improve, but I'm not changing things just for the sake of it at the moment. I'm taking it one step at a time, so feedback is welcomed and I'll play more and move on from here.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

**I highly recommend playing this on at least Semi controls for the full experience (and of course legendary/normal speed)**

Download (changed to v2.1): https://mega.nz/file/dUlCQBjL#ZMr-Wgk_6iKB7D_Uj4YwfwcP7C7CK9vKxHGsCZT5SoM

EDIT:
Currently working on balancing User shooting error. I'm finding it's a little too difficult regardless of player at the moment.
EDIT 2: v2.1 out now. Link updated here and on first post.

Last edited:
*v2.0 Release*

Here is v2.0 guys, ready for TU11. Changes are mainly related to passing/shooting errors. The crossing thing is something I still haven't spent a lot of time on but I did keep the original change I thought made a difference so we'll see with that one.

There's a byproduct that I think is really positive coming out of the changes I've made but I don't want to say what it is, I want to see if other people notice it too.

I'm not changing this for the sake of it at the moment, I'm taking it one step at a time, so feedback is welcomed and I'll play more and move on from here!

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Download: https://mega.nz/file/ARtEyTZb#nDd0HcINb0uxw8p9lC5dL7V_pumCucrSM8NSF1QxRKQ
I was just reading your 16 mod thread (without noticing) and was missing the 23 mod update Info you promised… 🤪 silly me.
a minute later… you post it here! 😂

that’s timing mate! I will test this weekend!! 💪 thanks for all the effort! 🙏

So the updated passing and shooting has a nice little byproduct… hm… 🤔 let’s try to find it.

played now over 10 games with this mod and its a good base.
Also the latest from @Paul-v has good things.
For this here AI could shoot more often from far away, thats whats better with Pauls GP.
In Pauls GP there are also crosses but only a little.
Another Question :
Are shoots nerved?Or i am really bad even with "helped shooting"? 🤣

played now over 10 games with this mod and its a good base.
Also the latest from @Paul-v has good things.
For this here AI could shoot more often from far away, thats whats better with Pauls GP.
In Pauls GP there are also crosses but only a little.
Another Question :
Are shoots nerved?Or i am really bad even with "helped shooting"? 🤣
Thanks man. I agree about shooting from distance, I was thinking that just before actually that the CPU could do with a little more of that. I'll look into it.

Shooting errors apply for user too, I'm finding the balance is good for the CPU in this regard, but I may need to balance these a little for the user as I'm finding it a bit too difficult as well!

Last edited:
Thanks. If am honest with you, pace still feels off, I find it too fast for a realistic representation to real football. Kind of reminds me of vanilla FIFA experience. And I also feel CPU still too focused on getting forward runs to score in as less as possible passes to create chances. I know for you GP modding guys crossing is still a challenge to accomplish. And I am experiencing maybe one cross per match (from CPU) if any.
I appreciate your efforts. I certainly know for sure it takes a lot of work and time to produce these mods.
I play FUMA and WC. 5 min halves. With classic attributes.

I just played 1.1 for couple of matches now(around 7 or 8) and I must say it's a clear improvement over 1.0. Here is my overall impression:

Good(Improvements on vanilla FIFA):
- Perfect passing speed
- Perfect CPU AI crossing frequency
- Good tempo/pace to the match
- Good amount of long shots frequency by the CPU AI
- Realistic amount of error in long balls with excellent ball physics making long balls more viable
- Realistic amount of interception by AI Controlled Player taking stats into account
- Realisitc balaced player inertia making every movement random and exciting
- The spacing between the ball and the player is good and removes the "glue to the ball" feeling that the FIFA normally has
- Referee AI is much more better at calling fouls
- Midfield tracking back based on the position, instruction and the stats and even workrate. Players like Kante stands out a lot now
- Crossing the ball feels good and it isn't overly floaty like the vanilla FIFA
- CPU Attacking AI is again versalite and unexpected. Keeps the match engaging
- The speed difference between slow player and fast player is almost perfect. Maybe needs to be a tad bit higher?
- Animation transition is much more smoother. I love it. Way less clunky
- CPU AI doesn't magically guess my next dribbling move which makes 1-1 feel realistic as I can out-smart them just using left-stick
- CPU doesn't try to shoot from very acute angle and instead crosses the ball into the box. I love this!
- Shooting error is nice and realistic. Not every shot from the CPU in legendary is a goal
- Positioning seems much more controlled and less chaotic. There is also proper amount of cover when a player is out of position
- 1 on 1 Finishing is now actually possible and doesn't always end up being an amazing save by the keeper
- First touch is perfect now with a good distinction between players with bad first touch and players with good first touch
- CPU AI depending on the type of player and attributes can be very good at incisive dribbling making the AI more dynamic
- Heading feels better now. It's not impossible to score with headers now
- CPU AI have less tendency to pass the ball straight through the midfield

Neutral(No changes / similar to vanilla FIFA):
- I don't see any notable changes to the speed of shots or the chance of miskicking a shot

Bad(Regression to vanilla FIFA):
- Passing ability(short passing, long passing) doesn't seem to have as much impact as I would like. It's really easy to pass around
accurately with a team in League 2 against Man City. And teams like Man City and Arsenal can make very consistent sloppy passes too.
- Shooting ability(long shot, finishing) same as above. More differentiation between bad and good players would make me very happy
- Marking ability of players with low marking attribute is too good. It makes players with high marking attribute stand out less.
- Sometimes's CPU defender is not responsive fast enough to long balls over the top

Here are some half time stats

Crawley Town(me) vs Man City(cpu)
View attachment 211378

Crawley Town(cpu) vs Man City(me)
View attachment 211379

Here's my initial feedback for v2.1:

- Passing is no longer mindless and requires some thought and process to it. You have to think about the next pass move a lot.
- You also have to use the right person to make a risky pass otherwise you run the risk of giving the ball away.
- Wonderful shooting variety. Every player seems to have a different technique when it comes to shooting.
- Shooting whilst under pressure is more error prone now.
- Pass type variation based on team styles. I see that bad teams uses long balls more frequently than good teams.

- When controlled by CPU AI, bad passer is still accurate when passing on acute angles as well as when under pressure but it definitely improved. They also do tons of first-touch fast passes.

- Bad goalkeepers seems to constantly make excellent saves and in general, all keepers seems to have the same ability to shot stopping and positioning.
- Bad defenders(with 60 marking) are very good at marking. It makes lower rated team extremely hard to break down consistently.
- Bad defenders are also extremely good at blocking. Every shot inside the box are met with Terry-like blocking.
- It's too easy to tackle very high skill dribblers and the same for CPU AI(50 rated defenders) to easily disposes players like Saka, Foden, etc.

P.S. I am struggling to beat the worst league 2 team with both Man City and Arsenal. It always ends up 0-0. Normally with Paul's gameplay patch or your old patch, it would be 4-0 at the half time.

Thanks. If am honest with you, pace still feels off, I find it too fast for a realistic representation to real football. Kind of reminds me of vanilla FIFA experience. And I also feel CPU still too focused on getting forward runs to score in as less as possible passes to create chances. I know for you GP modding guys crossing is still a challenge to accomplish. And I am experiencing maybe one cross per match (from CPU) if any.
I appreciate your efforts. I certainly know for sure it takes a lot of work and time to produce these mods.
I play FUMA and WC. 5 min halves. With classic attributes.
No worries man, appreciate your opinion anyway.

I think pace is going to be highly subjective and each down to personal preference. Some think it’s perfect, others will think it’s too fast. I have slowed it down to a decent level from default but I’ve maintained a level of speed to keep the intensity in the game by design.

For me, if you slow it down too much then you lose intensity in the game and all of the resistance/pressure or fight for the ball goes away. I find that less realistic overall personally than trying to control some crazy limbs!

I’d like the CPU to slow down a little more in buildup too, but I feel like I want it to happen as a result of the fundamentals. In my experience, I think it’s much better than it was. I’m having the CPU having 65-70% possession against me in some games now. Low shots, low XG. I’m seeing them pass backwards more than before too.

Here's my initial feedback for v2.1:

- Passing is no longer mindless and requires some thought and process to it. You have to think about the next pass move a lot.
- You also have to use the right person to make a risky pass otherwise you run the risk of giving the ball away.
- Wonderful shooting variety. Every player seems to have a different technique when it comes to shooting.
- Shooting whilst under pressure is more error prone now.
- Pass type variation based on team styles. I see that bad teams uses long balls more frequently than good teams.

- When controlled by CPU AI, bad passer is still accurate when passing on acute angles as well as when under pressure but it definitely improved. They also do tons of first-touch fast passes.

- Bad goalkeepers seems to constantly make excellent saves and in general, all keepers seems to have the same ability to shot stopping and positioning.
- Bad defenders(with 60 marking) are very good at marking. It makes lower rated team extremely hard to break down consistently.
- Bad defenders are also extremely good at blocking. Every shot inside the box are met with Terry-like blocking.
- It's too easy to tackle very high skill dribblers and the same for CPU AI(50 rated defenders) to easily disposes players like Saka, Foden, etc.

P.S. I am struggling to beat the worst league 2 team with both Man City and Arsenal. It always ends up 0-0. Normally with Paul's gameplay patch or your old patch, it would be 4-0 at the half time.
Thanks for the feedback again man. Good to see you're finding passing/shooting better now. Some of the things you have pointed out are exactly what I'm trying to achieve, so it's good to see you've found it as well.

In terms of the bad, I agree about GKs. I haven't touched them yet at all, definitely a job for future versions.

The defensive side of the game is a really tricky one. I haven't touched any of those values from v1.1 to v2.1, only passing/shooting errors. I hear what you're saying though and I agree for the most part.

I wanted to really tighten up that side of the game with my mod as I felt it was HEAVILY focused on attacking play over defensive. I've always had a major issue with the way the CPU defends on recent FIFA titles - the interactions are way, way (wayyy) off in my opinion and it's far too easy to just run by (or slip off) a defender and you're in behind. It's taken a lot of work to get that element out of the game - but now it's probably too much the other way and defenders as a whole are almost too difficult to get beyond (marking, blocking shots etc). If I had to pick, I'd choose it to be more difficult in general than what it was, but I know where you're coming from for sure. I will try and find a way to not mess with those interactions/marking but create a bigger gap between good and bad. I have a couple of ideas actually so I'll see what I can do!

Thanks for the feedback again man. Good to see you're finding passing/shooting better now. Some of the things you have pointed out are exactly what I'm trying to achieve, so it's good to see you've found it as well.

In terms of the bad, I agree about GKs. I haven't touched them yet at all, definitely a job for future versions.

The defensive side of the game is a really tricky one. I haven't touched any of those values from v1.1 to v2.1, only passing/shooting errors. I hear what you're saying though and I agree for the most part.

I wanted to really tighten up that side of the game with my mod as I felt it was HEAVILY focused on attacking play over defensive. I've always had a major issue with the way the CPU defends on recent FIFA titles - the interactions are way, way (wayyy) off in my opinion and it's far too easy to just run by (or slip off) a defender and you're in behind. It's taken a lot of work to get that element out of the game - but now it's probably too much the other way and defenders as a whole are almost too difficult to get beyond (marking, blocking shots etc). If I had to pick, I'd choose it to be more difficult in general than what it was, but I know where you're coming from for sure. I will try and find a way to not mess with those interactions/marking but create a bigger gap between good and bad. I have a couple of ideas actually so I'll see what I can do!

I think as a base, it's wonderful. I think the reason why tackling is easy is because the first touch error for both top players and bad players seems to be almost equal so it makes taking away the ball much easier. I will make a video with commentary to demonstrate it sometime later. That might let you pin-point what you can change from the base. But i think this is the best base to work from.

I think as a base, it's wonderful. I think the reason why tackling is easy is because the first touch error for both top players and bad players seems to be almost equal so it makes taking away the ball much easier. I will make a video with commentary to demonstrate it sometime later. That might let you pin-point what you can change from the base. But i think this is the best base to work from.
Yeah I agree with that too. I want to find that very fine line where playing with good teams still maintains the level of unpredictability, but they stand out enough. I had a test a little while back where I got the difference very clear, but then playing with Arsenal, Liverpool etc become too similar to how it was before any of the changes. I have to find a way to thread that needle!

I just wanted to point this out too as it's exactly what I was hoping for with the mod in general. My aim is to try and slow the game down through the key aspects of the game itself. I want you to have to actually think about your passes and feel the danger of playing a risky pass, or even feel the risk of sprinting into traffic. I'd prefer to achieve the slow game this way and this is why I haven't touched too much anything to do with attacking runs, or decision making.

Shooting in 2.1 is better, i think this should not change for the moment :)
Passing is also very realistic.

Keepers could punch balls more away instead of catching them, maybe thats solve able with sliders?

Also a big issue in vanilla fifa gameplay is that CPU really never do a cross into the box. That will maybe be the hardest part to archieve

Shooting in 2.1 is better, i think this should not change for the moment :)
Passing is also very realistic.

Keepers could punch balls more away instead of catching them, maybe thats solve able with sliders?

Also a big issue in vanilla fifa gameplay is that CPU really never do a cross into the box. That will maybe be the hardest part to archieve
Thanks, your feedback helped a lot in regards to the shooting! That's a good idea about the keepers - I'll look into that. Crossing is also on the list too.

@Topaz I've had a bit of a session now and I've dropped the lower end of markers and tacklers so that they won't be as good as the top guys. I kept the top players at the same level, so there should only be a difference on the lower end. I've had a few test games and I feel the difference is noticeable without making players dumb. I played as Liverpool v a Div 2 team and I felt superior to them, scored a goal fairly early on (which I also struggled with a lot before - but I still felt like they had a pulse which was good.
I feel I can see the difference even in some attacking players covering ability/defensive duties on good teams too which is a nice addition.

I've also managed to reduce the crazy blocking ability of defenders, I think that was too pronounced like you've mentioned and it was impossible to get shots away. I'm finding this is more balanced.

Still looking at dribbling for good players, but I think that change alone has helped too.

Thanks for your help again.

Last edited:
@Topaz I've had a bit of a session now and I've dropped the lower end of markers and tacklers so that they won't be as good as the top guys. I kept the top players at the same level, so there should only be a difference on the lower end. I've had a few test games and I feel the difference is noticeable without making players dumb. I played as Liverpool v a Div 2 team and I felt superior to them, scored a goal fairly early on (which I also struggled with a lot before - but I still felt like they had a pulse which was good.
I feel I can see the difference even in some attacking players covering ability/defensive duties on good teams too which is a nice addition.

I've also managed to reduce the crazy blocking ability of defenders, I think that was too pronounced like you've mentioned and it was impossible to get shots away. I'm finding this is more balanced.

Still looking at dribbling for good players, but I think that change alone has helped too.

for dribbling i noticed the latest from @Paul-v made good player dribble like they would do in real life.
Maybe you look into his mod or ask him? :)

for dribbling i noticed the latest from @Paul-v made good player dribble like they would do in real life.
Maybe you look into his mod or ask him? :)
It’s not how they dribble, it’s got to do with first touch when sprinting. Because of the way I’ve taken the ‘glue’ away it’s a tricky one to solve - but I’ll keep trying!

Here's a video where I go a little bit more in-depth. Hope it helps!

Here's a video where I go a little bit more in-depth. Hope it helps!

In a gist for balancing changes what I would personally recommend are these

1) For tackling, like you mentioned, they are good for a top defender as a base. But players with bad tackling ability needs to make more mistakes in tackling. (Should make players like Thiago Silva, Tomiyasu, etc stand out)
2) For marking, again like you mentioned, they are good for a top defender/midfielder as a base. But players with bad marking ability needs a reduction in interception and pace at which they mark. (Should help players like Kante stand out more)
3) For dribbling, making agility and dribbling stat should be more pronounced. On the video, you can see how quickly I can turn with a player that has very poor agility and dribbling stat. (Should make players like Saka, Foden, etc stand out more)
4) For passing, as a team top the current passing error is good as a base. But lower rated players needs to make more mistakes when passing, especially driven passes. Also less first time passes for players with poor passing ability. (Should make players like De Bruyne and Odegaard stand out more)
5) For goalkeeping, it's also very good as a base for top goalkeepers but worse keepers needs to be worse at covering and shot stopping.
6) For pace, I think for high speedy players is good as the base. But lower pace players needs to be slower. On the video, you saw how slower players from the League 2 team caught up to me multiple times).
7) For strength, for some reason, player that is lower strength seems to be stronger than player with higher strength. Multiple times player like Haaland got disposed due to strength from a player that is around 70 strength. Haaland has 90 strength as a comparison. So not sure what is going on with that.

All in all, this is perfect as a base especially between a match up with two highly rated teams. With some adjustments this could be the mod that makes FIFA 23 the next best FIFA after FIFA 16 in my opinion.

Personally I didn't face issues like lack of crossing and lack of long shots after playing like 7 matches.

Back
Top Bottom