Anth's 23 Mods // Gameplay v6.0 Released

Anth James

International
22 September 2017
Hey guys! After literally hundreds of tests and refinements I've decided to release my gameplay mod.

I won't list everything that's changed, I prefer people discover things organically as they play, but in general this is a fairly extensive mod with a very large number of changes. A lot of these changes are various balances/fixes for particular gameplay issues, as well as features I've attempted to bring in. I've spent a lot of time on ensuring that the various changes work to create a balanced experience.

Don't expect perfection, FIFA is always going to have its quirks, it's just part of the package, but I've done the best I can with the tools available and I'm pretty happy with the way 23 is currently playing. On release I couldn't stand this game and I didn't touch it for months, so the fact I'm really enjoying it now is pretty surprising to me also!

The overall philosophy behind the mod is -

1. More power to the defensive side of the game.

A big focus is to improve the midfield battle and create a less end-to-end game with a more difficult avenue to goal. I've worked a lot on reducing the ability to too simply 'burst' by a defender, as well as reducing the impact of '1v1' (quite possibly the worst gameplay feature ever added to a football game). There are also a number of positional and behavioural tweaks to help with this.

2. Make everything more alive and free.

This includes controlling the ball, retaining the ball, touches, deflections, interceptions, 50/50s, etc. I want you to have to think more about when and where you do things on the pitch. For example, you now have to think about how fast you're travelling when you receive the ball, or when you decide to sprint there's more risk/reward to losing control of the ball. The 'glue' of the ball sticking to the player is now gone. I don't want this to be just random for the sake of it, but instead purposeful and more open to different outcomes/scenarios across the pitch to increase depth in the game.

3. Improve realism regarding movement and speed, both in regards to players and the ball.

A very large number of changes/balances here relating to animations, speed and general movement to bring about an overall more realistic/varied game pace. Importantly I want the intensity in the fight for the ball to remain. I want it to feel smooth, I don’t want it to feel slow and sluggish as a result.

Regarding the ball, there are many, many changes here relating to speed of passes, shots, physics and passing mechanics also. The result is much more natural feeling and behaving ball than before with an increase in the reliability and consistency of passing. There's now more of a need to use particular passes during gameplay.

4. Player/team individuality

A big part of this mod is related to creating a more tangible difference between different players abilities, both in regards to movement and skills. You will see this reflected in dribbling, skills moves, tackling, passing, turning, shooting - all areas. The error system has been built up and refined over a period of time to show a real difference between players, from elite to lower league.

5. Enhanced realism regarding CPU behaviour

I've worked on minimising the overly 'arcade' style of CPU behaviour. This is in regards to style of play and off ball behaviour. The CPU will no longer play mindless tika-taka and they won't spam skills moves anymore. Instead you will see a more balanced, thoughtful approach (within reason). You will still see skills from certain players - they're just represented more realistically. The CPU also won't rush and jump into as many ridiculous tackles and get themselves sent off.

6. More robust and reliable physicality

There are big improvements in this department regarding the way players interact with each other now. This is not strictly relating to just fouls, this is an improvement which impacts the overall gameplay (and physics) quite substantially. There's now far, far less moments where players will simply 'slide' off each other and not interact realistically in a collision or even just a general dual. Limbs are more solid now, players run into each other properly and you can defend with much more confidence that the interaction will result in a tangible reaction, instead of just going through each other. A good example the increase in physicality is represented in shirt pulling. On default, you could spam the button but very rarely did anything actually happen, just a whole lot of nothing! Now, if you try and pull the shirt of your opponent, more often than not this will result in bringing the player down and a foul.

//////

General notes to consider:

I won't list everything that's changed as so many of the changes interrelate, but a lot of the changes are based around the interactions between players - and the knock on impact this has on many areas across the pitch. The result is a slower, more physical, passing game where player individuality matters, but is hopefully represented in a more subtle way - and where speed/athleticism isn't everything. Happy to go into detail if anyone has questions regarding certain decisions.

It's really important to remember that a lot of decisions made are not solely based around ideological views of football, but instead are needed to be based around the core mechanics of the game we're working with. Some decisions just have to be made for the game itself to be balanced and some ideas of what is perfect have to be left behind.

Just a general comment also regarding movement - whilst animations/movement have been heavily worked on, the changes made are designed more to reflect a deeper simulation than to just be aesthetically pleasing. If we go just down the path of aesthetics, then a whole range of gameplay issues are introduced - so it's important to remember that FIFA is FIFA and we're working with what we're given here.

The '1v1' feature FIFA introduced in 2020 has a massive impact on gameplay and despite all we can do, we cannot magically make this go away. Please keep this in mind when providing feedback.

Everyone plays with different half lengths/has different styles - no one mod is going to suit everyone. I play with 10 minute halves, so naturally if you're playing lower halves you may find opposing attacks are not as potent as you may like. This is something that will never really be balanced for everyone, so use sliders as you see fit. I can't guarantee the balance, but adjust for what works for you.

I always say this, but it's not perfect! I'm just trying to maximise and craft the gameplay files into something that's a better representation of the sport.

///////////

Settings:

- Designed and balanced to be played on the following:
-Default sliders
-Legendary
-Normal Speed (extremely important)
-Competitor Mode OFF
-Player Base Difficult ON.
- Assisted/Semi/Manual - all ok.

Legendary is needed if you want to play with the maximum benefits of defensive awareness and interactions. Other difficulties are fine - but understand there may be some differences in balancing (especially when it comes to CPU defensive behaviour).

- OK to play on ANY Title Update. Simply IGNORE THE WARNING - this gameplay mod does NOT use legacy files.

Hope you enjoy!!

Download (v6.0): https://mega.nz/file/0N03lCDQ#P7vNJgIlwG7MZ4Z6R60lgu-BAWBdarIDmrcLnTMCBXY

///////

Older version (v5.0): https://mega.nz/file/pR0hkKLI#hvv_vCxk2bHvnpVqIMtjHbNPp9E562Jhz5Kg3kZbg3s

Credit: @Paul-v for the excellent modding tools available to us all.

Last edited:
***RELEASE*** - Anth's FIFA 23 Looks v1.0

I decided to just release what I have for this! There’s 11 looks in total and some of the differences are quite subtle. You can adjust the values however you want too.

All instructions are included in the download. Remember you will need the FIFA Live Editor tool to launch FIFA 23 in order for reshade to work with it.

Edit: If ReShade doesn't work, I forgot to add the step where you may need to rename the 'dxgi.dll' file to d3d11.dll.

You can use whichever pitch mod you like. They all work with it. With FIFA 23 and all of the turf colour options etc, you'll get lots of different variations to the looks depending on your settings so go with what works best for you all.

Personally, I use:
Esim turf as priority (https://www.patreon.com/posts/74028976), with AmazR's turfs above it (http://soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/fifa-23-improved-grass-turf-pitch.6471262/)

I find this creates quite a nice textured pitch, that is a little similar to FIFA 16 - but mix and match how you like. You will still see a nice improvement even on default turfs!

Again - remember to read the installation instructions!

Enjoy!!

Download: https://mega.nz/file/dUMQHK6B#c4WCM5y_-SHN5a16ABNBV7Xm9H16xD5fql-awFPhkZo

Examples:
FIFA 23 Screenshot 2023.05.25 - 22.46.17.11.png
FIFA 23 Screenshot 2023.05.24 - 22.51.14.14.png
FIFA 23 Screenshot 2023.03.07 - 17.32.14.92.png
FIFA 23 Screenshot 2023.05.25 - 16.45.46.61.png
FIFA 23 Screenshot 2023.03.14 - 18.54.25.95.png

Last edited:
Hi mate! Really good job on defensive awareness and positioning. Especially when attackers receive the ball being back to the goal, theres always a defender putting pressure. Very enjoyable mod overall. Keep going!

Hi mate! Really good job on defensive awareness and positioning. Especially when attackers receive the ball being back to the goal, theres always a defender putting pressure. Very enjoyable mod overall. Keep going!
Thanks man, appreciate it. I enjoy your mod as well. Good to have some options around for people. Oh and a big thanks for your help with those boosts regarding acceleration.

could you upload a gameplay video?
I’m away at the moment, but I’ll post a video next week. I maintain that fifa on video never looks great though! I think it plays better than it looks, but I think PES looks better when viewing videos haha.

I'm working on an update for the mod. Overall I've spent a lot of time working removing the 'glue' from player to ball to create more interesting engagements across the pitch. For me, this makes every match much more interesting, with different patterns and exciting moments (even in the small things).

For the update I'm working on refining this so there's a bit less tripping up on the ball and also so better players have a better touch, more control etc. I still want to keep it so anyone can make mistakes though - and that you have to fight to control/keep the ball.

I have other aspects I plan to work on also.

Here's some gameplay footage. Yes, there are goals in this half, but if you look at the stats at the end of the half you'll see they're respectable. I had just come off a 20 min match, 0-0 in the game before this, so there's plenty of variety.

Also, hopefully you can see but I've heavily worked on defenders (it's much harder to burst beyond them now), as well as reducing the impact of the dreaded 1v1 to improve the midfield battle.

I know not everyone feels the same about 23, and I was the same until recently, but personally with the mod I'm having the most fun I've had with a football game in years playing this at the moment. There really is a depth to 23 that is hidden below the surface of the terrible, default programming!

Last edited:
I'm working on an update for the mod. Overall I've spent a lot of time working removing the 'glue' from player to ball to create more interesting engagements across the pitch. For me, this makes every match much more interesting, with different patterns and exciting moments (even in the small things).

For the update I'm working on refining this so there's a bit less tripping up on the ball and also so better players have a better touch, more control etc. I still want to keep it so anyone can make mistakes though - and that you have to fight to control/keep the ball.

Here's some gameplay footage. Yes, there are goals in this half, but if you look at the stats at the end of the half you'll see they're respectable. I had just come off a 20 min match, 0-0 in the game before this, so there's plenty of variety.

Also, hopefully you can see but I've heavily worked on defenders (it's much harder to burst beyond them now), as well as reducing the impact of the dreaded 1v1 to improve the midfield battle.

I know not everyone feels the same about 23, and I was the same until recently, but personally with the mod I'm having the most fun I've had with a football game in years playing this at the moment. There really is a depth to 23 that is hidden below the surface of the terrible, default programming!

Im only watching this for the gameplay aspects… but man, have you gag-balled @Marlon Anthony ?! 😂

will try the mod now! The latest version is out?

is there potential to close the gap between defense and kick taker when free kicks happening? the defense seems to sit always deep at the pen area.

Im only watching this for the gameplay aspects… but man, have you gag-balled @Marlon Anthony ?! 😂

will try the mod now! The latest version is out?

is there potential to close the gap between defense and kick taker when free kicks happening? the defense seems to sit always deep at the pen area.
Hahaha oh didn’t realise about the sound! I took it down.

I haven’t touched the free kick aspect, but I’ll take a look. Latest version not out yet, but at this point there’s not major changes from v1. So far I’ve only tweaked some aspects of first touch/trapping for v2. Relatively minor so far, but impactful. More changes to come.

Last edited:
Hahaha oh didn’t realise about the sound! I took it down.

I haven’t touched the free kick aspect, but I’ll take a look. Latest version not out yet, but at this point there’s not major changes from v1. So far I’ve only tweaked some aspects of first touch/trapping for v2. Relatively minor so far, but impactful. More changes to come.
😂 yeah… was funny though… if you know the right people. 😊

So I played 3 matches. I can clearly see how that mod represents what you like to see most in this game.
i applaud you for the midfield play. 👏
The last third seems a bit different though. Where in midfield it seems to work and look more natural, when (even big) teams play more the thinking way, they tend to take too much time in the last third. Sticking a bit too much to the ball then crossing would be a logic thing to do. Not mod breaking for now, imo. They go more for 1:1s and low passes vs. crosses.
Standing tackles are missing a bit, wich reminds of vanilla. On the other side, this allows for more lunging for the ball. I like that feature. Timing lunging correct and defending against the AI, that isn’t hectic.
anyway, the midfield play and counter attacks, how teams roll out their game, is more natural here. 💪 ball is nicely loose. Legendary overall doesn’t feel overpowered, only AI goals can look to clinical and powerful at times.
Humanized AI errors are lovely to watch.
Flow and speed of the game is very good.

will give it more time when I’m back this afternoon after having delicious food at my moms. 😊👋

Last edited:
😂 yeah… was funny though… if you know the right people. 😊

So I played 3 matches. I can clearly see how that mod represents what you like to see most in this game.
i applaud you for the midfield play. 👏
The last third seems a bit different though. Where in midfield it seems to work and look more natural, when (even big) teams play more the thinking way, they tend to take too much time in the last third. Sticking a bit too much to the ball then crossing would be a logic thing to do. Not mod breaking for now, imo. They go more for 1:1s and low passes vs. crosses.
Standing tackles are missing a bit, wich reminds of vanilla. On the other side, this allows for more lunging for the ball. I like that feature. Timing lunging correct and defending against the AI, that isn’t hectic.
anyway, the midfield play and counter attacks, how teams roll out their game, is more natural here. 💪 ball is nicely loose. Legendary overall doesn’t feel overpowered, only AI goals can look to clinical and powerful at times.
Humanized AI errors are lovely to watch.
Flow and speed of the game is very good.

will give it more time when I’m back this afternoon after having delicious food at my moms. 😊👋
Thanks for the feedback man, happy that you're seeing the positives. I haven’t touched how the CPU attacks and I’ve seen some crossing, long shots etc so not sure there.

I'll have a look at shot error and refine that for the next update too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback man, happy that you're seeing the positives. I haven’t touched how the CPU attacks and I’ve seen some crossing, long shots etc so not sure there.

I'll have a look at shot error and refine that for the next update too.
I can see them preferring dribbling into the pen area. 1 on 1. sure there are crosses, but they way less happening.

keep it up? 💪

Hey Man, I also tried your v.1.00. I feel it have much potential. Just some pros and cons: You handled it good to settle down the overpowered general game speed while I am playing default game speed with default sliders. The ground passing feels also more natural related to speed. First touch of the Players are recognizable improved by you. Also feels and looks better. Can you work on the often too much dribble attitude of the AI? It´s something I can´t handle with the newer FIFA Games especially started with FIFA 20. It´s always the first thing what stresses me while playing. Too less crosses and too much dribbling. I had yesterday one match where I wasn´t able to tackle or fight realistic of the ball because AI Players makes his dribbling skills come to eternity. I mean he stays on the side line just to dribble my defenders out for his personal amusement. :BORED::))

The goal shots are feeling much more realistic with v.1.00. Finesse shot are strong enough to try them even I am around the box and not inside. I scored a nice goal from 18meters by using finesse shot. The goalie looks a bit overhelmed with this shot. Do you plan to look in the goalie behaviour structure too?

I am curious about your next Version. Will test it further.

Love this gameplay, i always look for a slow gameplay mod and i love the pace of yours, its perfect to me :APPLAUD::APPLAUD:i do notice the CPU as mentioned doesnt cross much, as i have only seem them cross very short (i will attach videos).

If you can get the crosses under control and tweak it a bit more, for sure it will be my favourite

I agree with what is written above. excellent gameplay, perfect rhythm, it is urgent to increase the crosses and if possible also the fouls. The difficulty of going to shoot on goal is beautiful

Hey Man, I also tried your v.1.00. I feel it have much potential. Just some pros and cons: You handled it good to settle down the overpowered general game speed while I am playing default game speed with default sliders. The ground passing feels also more natural related to speed. First touch of the Players are recognizable improved by you. Also feels and looks better. Can you work on the often too much dribble attitude of the AI? It´s something I can´t handle with the newer FIFA Games especially started with FIFA 20. It´s always the first thing what stresses me while playing. Too less crosses and too much dribbling. I had yesterday one match where I wasn´t able to tackle or fight realistic of the ball because AI Players makes his dribbling skills come to eternity. I mean he stays on the side line just to dribble my defenders out for his personal amusement. :BORED::))

The goal shots are feeling much more realistic with v.1.00. Finesse shot are strong enough to try them even I am around the box and not inside. I scored a nice goal from 18meters by using finesse shot. The goalie looks a bit overhelmed with this shot. Do you plan to look in the goalie behaviour structure too?

I am curious about your next Version. Will test it further.

Love this gameplay, i always look for a slow gameplay mod and i love the pace of yours, its perfect to me :APPLAUD::APPLAUD:i do notice the CPU as mentioned doesnt cross much, as i have only seem them cross very short (i will attach videos).

If you can get the crosses under control and tweak it a bit more, for sure it will be my favourite

I agree with what is written above. excellent gameplay, perfect rhythm, it is urgent to increase the crosses and if possible also the fouls. The difficulty of going to shoot on goal is beautiful

+1 for more high/long crosses :)
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I will look at crosses. I haven’t touched anything relating to how the CPU plays yet as I wanted the fundamentals under control first.

Most of you guys seem to think that pushing a single button can make the AI actually cross. If only it was that simple it would have already been made.
but no, I don't think anyone thinks it's a simple thing, we give our feedback to you modders, who we thank for your vs. willingness to compare, pointing out what, according to the ideas and expectations of each of us, it would be desirable to improve in order to have a greater "simulation", if then patience is not possible.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I will look at crosses. I haven’t touched anything relating to how the CPU plays yet as I wanted the fundamentals under control first.
I add that, again in my opinion, playing with the default slides, the passes are too precise (90%) as are the shots (often on goal over 75 / 80%)

Most of you guys seem to think that pushing a single button can make the AI actually cross. If only it was that simple it would have already been made.
Just a wish, Mate. Just a wish. ;) No pressure, no requirement to further test you Guys mods. Btw what controls the crossing of the AI? Which Values in the Editor Tool are having an impact? Me also didn´t think it´s a single button. When I last time look into the gameplay related section via Editor Tool there are a bunch of Values and settings. Hard enough to understand them all and find the best combos which effects what.

but no, I don't think anyone thinks it's a simple thing, we give our feedback to you modders, who we thank for your vs. willingness to compare, pointing out what, according to the ideas and expectations of each of us, it would be desirable to improve in order to have a greater "simulation", if then patience is not possible.
Yeah all good man, happy to hear feedback for sure.
I add that, again in my opinion, playing with the default slides, the passes are too precise (90%) as are the shots (often on goal over 75 / 80%)
Interesting, as I haven't had that experience in my games. I'm finding most EPL teams can vary from 80-90% but typically mid-low 80s for pass. Shot error I will spend some more time on, as I've looked at some, but not a lot of that.

The errors are a challenging (and highly subjective) because if you go too far then every pass and shot becomes a lottery, so trying to find a balance for natural errors.

Just a wish, Mate. Just a wish. ;) No pressure, no requirement to further test you Guys mods. Btw what controls the crossing of the AI? Which Values in the Editor Tool are having an impact? Me also didn´t think it´s a single button. When I last time look into the gameplay related section via Editor Tool there are a bunch of Values and settings. Hard enough to understand them all and find the best combos which effects what.
No worries man, I wasn't criticising anyone! The real problem here is that gameplay lacks crossing values in its ebx files. Or at least values called "cross". I'm pretty sure EA is considering cross and lob passes as a whole and assigning different angles for each.

No worries man, I wasn't criticising anyone! The real problem here is that gameplay lacks crossing values in its ebx files. Or at least values called "cross". I'm pretty sure EA is considering cross and lob passes as a whole.
Have you had success bringing crosses in? Maybe increasing the likelihood of long passes to help then?

Have you had success bringing crosses in? Maybe increasing the likelihood of long passes to help then?
I played a bit with these settings but i think that's most likely placebo. Maybe some evaluation angle and search distance lines inside kickpass_passing can help. And of course, Paul's locale.ini lines help when trying to force that particular AI behaviour.

Screenshot (69).png

Back
Top Bottom