Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Look, don't bash me for looking at the way the players are set up (looking at when Pepe was running with the ball), because it looks incredibly similar to how Fifa 10 looks where the players are. And the pass out wide to Ronaldo left so much space for the middle. It wasn't even a defence splitting ball was it? It was a simple pass out wide which left the middle exploited.

Don't start laughing off the fact that something is possibly amiss with Fifa this year, just because you've played a copy :LOL:

You mean the pass to Ronaldo in his own third of the pitch? The one where you can't even see him receive it and there's nobody in the middle to pass it to??

I'M JUST FUCKING NERVOUS ALRIGHT!?!!? I'M ON EDGE HERE.

I want Fifa to be good so bad, I'm seeing things. :SHOCK:

I'll fuck off now then. :COAT:

:LOL: We all do. It's just that these videos don't put stuff in context. That counterattack was explicitly chosen as a highlight to put in the game because it's 'exciting'.

Like PES, FIFA 11 isn't going to fix everything in one go. FIFA 10 was so far away from what we want in a football game that even if they spent a year working on moving things in our direction, as they have, there will still be some lingering issues. I just don't think this is the vid from which to look for them. Shame cos it's the only vid about!

Yes, that vid is unfortunate because it demostrated exactly one of the (many) things I hate about their 1-player game.

I gave 1-player mode in FIFA09 and 10 a few matches before giving up on them as I found both to be equally piss-poor. But it was easy to ignore them as multi-player on-line play was very enjoyable.

With WC2010, I've not had the luxury of on-line play, so have had no option but to play against the cpu, and fuck me, I very quickly grew to hate it and lost interest in playing altogether.

So when I come back on here and the first vid I see of FIFA2011 is that tired old cpu-clearance-straight-to-attacker-standing-in-circle routine, it brings back the bad memories of every team endlessly playing with that utterly monotonous tactic.

That said, even if they had spent the entire year doing nothing but working on the 1-player AI, I'd still be fully expecting it to be shite and be buying the game purely for on-line play. The fact they've hardly (if at all) touched the AI play matters little. I'll be heading straight for the on-line modes.

This.
There is not enough proper footage to form a good opinion.
I like the pitch, I thought Pepe was ridiculous running around in circles (why are we seeing people who have no clue play the game ???) and I saw a big difference between him running with the ball and Iniesta.
Valdes should have found it harder to catch the ball, I hate these perfect stops by keepers.

Otherwise it's clutching at straws, need more footage and decent FIFA players.

If on the Pepe point you're talking about the skating, Rom mentioned it as a potentially legitimate gripe so maybe that'll validate it for you but for some reason it's the only one that you seem to have missed.

Beyond that, there really is no "otherwise." Just one person banging on about a multitude of things.
-----

So to the "can't believe ALL OF YOU complainers..." comments from other people, there really aren't that many of them and most of them are pointing out the lack of momentum. And that certainly isn't hard to notice when they show one character running around in circles for 15 seconds. Nobody is being too "hardcore" as I doubt it's possible to cheese in the game as it concerns player movement. What you see...is more than likely how the game's movement will play out this year.

Last edited:
Absolutely. A 9 or 10/10 game can still have a lot of things that we want improved. Those of us who went to Guildford universally loved it and were really happy with the progress, but that didn't mean that we didn't see a lot of things we'd want done better. That's the nature of making a game based on a real life sport that consists of so many millions of nuances and variables.

Nick, I've said a few times that FIFA 11 is a big step forward, not THE game to end all games. But then I kind of thought that'd be obvious. Thinking of perfection as being attainable in one year increments would be incredibly short sighted and naive. It'll be well into the next gen before anyone truly gets great animations, realistic ball physics, incredibly complex AI and extremely accurate physicality/momentum conservation, all attached to non-fantasy MM. PES looks to have made much needed advances in most of these areas while staying rooted far back in others; FIFA made great strides forwards in the technical areas way back but forgot to take the rest of the game with it, and is now hauling that back uphill.

All we can realistically expect on these systems is as close an approximation to those levels as manageable.

Rom, bobble has been mention quite a lot. Is that contextual to what pitch is used. For example, the Emirates is virtually bobble free so will that differ to say Old Trafford which can resemble an aftermath of a tractor convention.

Which reminds me, I hope the Emirates pitch gets a proper makeover. In fifa10 it had bare patches, WTF was up with that ?

Absolutely. A 9 or 10/10 game can still have a lot of things that we want improved. Those of us who went to Guildford universally loved it and were really happy with the progress, but that didn't mean that we didn't see a lot of things we'd want done better. That's the nature of making a game based on a real life sport that consists of so many millions of nuances and variables.

Nick, I've said a few times that FIFA 11 is a big step forward, not THE game to end all games. But then I kind of thought that'd be obvious. Thinking of perfection as being attainable in one year increments would be incredibly short sighted and naive. It'll be well into the next gen before anyone truly gets great animations, realistic ball physics, incredibly complex AI and extremely accurate physicality/momentum conservation, all attached to non-fantasy MM. PES looks to have made much needed advances in most of these areas while staying rooted far back in others; FIFA made great strides forwards in the technical areas way back but forgot to take the rest of the game with it, and is now hauling that back uphill.

All we can realistically expect on these systems is as close an approximation to those levels as manageable.

Sorry Rom I have just read back through and my post was not aimed at yours, I was meaning EA posts in general, we have the few weeks of release posts followed by the excuse and standard "next year we will be looking at" posts...

It's a set routine... :P

On the video of Placebos the pass on around 26seconds makes me cringe, the horrible little stab with the outside of the weaker foot. Was hoping those and the 180 passes had gone.

Rom, are most players still pretty much two footed or will Personallity+ tone it down?

Rom, bobble has been mention quite a lot. Is that contextual to what pitch is used. For example, the Emirates is virtually bobble free so will that differ to say Old Trafford which can resemble an aftermath of a tractor convention.

Which reminds me, I hope the Emirates pitch gets a proper makeover. In fifa10 it had bare patches, WTF was up with that ?

Not heard anything about this, but I think it's a good idea and have raised it in the past. I think it'd be an interesting CM addition to be able to assign budget to the pitch, so that if you want a tip top pitch for your more technical players you can put more money into ground maintenance, or shell out for a returf. If your side is more physical and a bit pants on the ground then having a dodgy pitch could bring the Arsenals back down to your level.

Doubt it's going to happen this year but next year they'll be working on getting the AI to understand different pitch sizes, so that each stadium has it's own influence on the game. I'd also suggested variable weather physics so that you can have different levels of pitch wetness without having to make new versions of each stadium (that's how it works now. 1 sunny + 1 rainy weather option for a stadium = 2 separate stadiums on the disc). Hopefully they can get all of this done along with whatever other changes they want to make.

Dalby, I don't think frequency of foot use has been addressed, at least not properly. I think accuracy has but I didn't test it specifically.

Not heard anything about this, but I think it's a good idea and have raised it in the past. I think it'd be an interesting CM addition to be able to assign budget to the pitch, so that if you want a tip top pitch for your more technical players you can put more money into ground maintenance, or shell out for a returf. If your side is more physical and a bit pants on the ground then having a dodgy pitch could bring the Arsenals back down to your level.

Doubt it's going to happen this year but next year they'll be working on getting the AI to understand different pitch sizes, so that each stadium has it's own influence on the game. I'd also suggested variable weather physics so that you can have different levels of pitch wetness without having to make new versions of each stadium (that's how it works now. 1 sunny + 1 rainy weather option for a stadium = 2 separate stadiums on the disc). Hopefully they can get all of this done along with whatever other changes they want to make.

Wow, I never knew the stadiums were created like that. If they can somehow inroduce variable weather that should save them so much work. I guess this is the reason we don't see weather change during matches.

That's great news, as a Liverpool fan, that they are finally introducing different pitch sizes. Maybe now the crowd will actually be behind the goal instead of half a trainingpitch away. :D

I reacted to this aswell when the defender was dribbling around. It is one of the main causes why the game feels too fast. Most animations and movements are not unrealistically fast, but the base movements are way too quick and fast. Like you say, it doesn't feel like the player slows down, and if he suddenly stops and goes in the reverse direction, it looks almost like he is being pulled by some harness and invisible string. There is nothing in those directional changes that suggests the movement is coming from the players legs and feet touching the ground.

Also, and I am not sure anyone has realized this, but if you take a player in possession of the ball, and a player not in possession of the ball, certain moves are actually faster when performed by the ball carrier, and some are equally fast. Logically, manipulating the ball would slightly hamper your speed compared to the same player doing the same kind of movements, but not having to use his feet to move the ball around.

A good example is jogging and turning 90 degrees. A player not in possession will do a realistic animation where he needs to push off into the new direction. A player in possession just dinks the ball into the new direction and is just pulled along, with almost no loss of momentum.

YouTube - MOV00008

When you look at the video, and just look at the player movements, ignore the ball, doesn't it strike you as terribly inconsistent? And this is the World Cup game, or FIFA 10.5 as far as gameplay, I suppose. Players in possession are treated completely different, and alot more favorably, with regards to the physics of movement than off-the-ball players.

I don't see why this movement scheme still seems to exist, since it is one of the big reasons why dribbling and speed is king. The same player with the ball can move alot quicker than the same player without the ball. On-the-ball movement should be based on the off-the-ball movements from the video, and then slowed down slightly more to be realistic.
Yeah the change of direction is way too quick.

I posted a list of why Gary thought pressing would be toned down this year - it was things like increased conservation of momentum for the presser, reduced reaction to directional changes, shorter tackle animation distance, slower tackle animation, much improved ball shielding, and of course the stamina changed (which we know nothing about yet).

Gary mailed me this specifically to say that there wasn't going to be a new system this year. Which leads me to believe they're looking at putting one in at some point.

I posted a list of why Gary thought pressing would be toned down this year - it was things like increased conservation of momentum for the presser, reduced reaction to directional changes, shorter tackle animation distance, slower tackle animation, much improved ball shielding, and of course the stamina changed (which we know nothing about yet).

Gary mailed me this specifically to say that there wasn't going to be a new system this year. Which leads me to believe they're looking at putting one in at some point.

So the fatigue system they were looking to add won't be added?

?

That's not what I said. The pressing system hasn't changed. The buttons you press and what they mean. All that stuff I listed there, as well as other stuff that was in the post I made here a few weeks back, are the main reasons Gary listed as to what is being changed.

Here you go.

Gary Paterson said:
Until then, here are the reasons why I feel sprint press/secondary press is less of an issue in 11:

a. Tackling
- Tackle animations are slower than in FIFA10, that is to say that they are longer to ball contact (less responsive if you like).
- Tackle animations are shorter than in FIFA10, that is to say that the players have less reach with their tackles (attribute based).
- There are more errors in judgement on when to launch a tackle than in FIFA10 (when the dribbler has started a turn, a players ability to predict the direction of the turn - attribute based)
- Tackle animations have better momentum preservation than in 10, therefore defenders cannot break momentum in order to get the ball from you

b. Pressing
- Has more delay in its target update after the ball changes direction (attribute based) so you will not be able to hone in on the ball quite so powerfully.
- Has delay to read the ball trajectory during a pass (attribute based) so you should be under less pressure when you recieve the ball.

c. Locomotion
- Is slightly slower accelerating from stand than it was in 10. This is because we are algorithmically controlling the players speed (therefore his is sticking to his definded acceleration curve) whereas last year this was an animation. This means that he player will take slightly longer to get to you.
- Does not allow the player to acclerate and turn (once above jog speed), this was allowed in FIFA10. Again, this means that he player will take slightly longer to get to you.

d. Dribbling
- Has better shielding than in FIFA10. For example, the player will auto shield from a defender if you turn away from him.
- Jostling is less clear cut than in 10 therefore giving more time to escape or pass the ball.

e. Stamina/Fatigue
Hopefully the video will be released soon but basically, stamina will have a greater effect on how quickly a player will fatigue and fatigue will have a greater effect on a players acceleration and sprint speed (among other things).

Those are some of the reasons that I can think of for it feeling less powerful.

Back
Top Bottom