Microsoft Xbox 360

New PSU, still external Brick, just not as big, they sure as fuck werent going to put the PSU inside the box when the old ones had such a heating problem. New Xbox has a huge mother hubbard fan on the top if the console is lying horizontal. guessing it's drawing all the air away from the motherboard in a much more direct way.

Cheers guys.

I like the sound of the huge fan and the reduced power consumption.

I'm not set against having an external PSU, I still have my PS2 Slim that has a small power brick, so if it's a similar size it's not that big of a deal. However, I just think that they should have come up with a solution already to make the machine more portable/compact. The PS2 Slim I can understand having an external PSU as it is very small, but the 360 is more than large enough to house an internal PSU and still have a solution for cooling everything. By comparison a friend of mine has a very high spec'ed HTPC running all the latest games, that's only 2/3rds of the size of the current 360 (height+width) and it's an all-in-one. In fact from what I can remember the biggest things in it are the graphics card, HDD, PSU and fans and yet it runs at very low temperatures when gaming.

Even the latest PS2's Slim have internal PSU's now, though they meant to be hard to find. However I think due to the heating problems with the first 360, they went safety first and kept it external, think the brick is a third smaller than the current one, just like the machine itself. It is crazily quiet compared to the old one though. The original Xbox's PSU was internal, so kinda strange they went external in the beginning, guess it was to try and shrink the size of the overall console.

Ah well, took my 360 to be looked at and it's completely knackered. He tried tightening the X-Clamp and it's not done a thing, so going to sell it on eBay as a faulty 360.

Parents have just bought me a Jasper Elite off eBay as a birthday present though so it's not all bad I guess.

It depends if the serial number of the console has been registered previously. If it has you'll need the original receipt to change ownership/details/name and address IIRC. Unless of course the previous owner can change the details for you?

If not registered, it doesn't matter.

I bought an arcade 360 package on the AVForums for about £120 earlier this year, sold the controller, games, power brick and cables from the package. As a result, it ended up only costing me £15 for a backup console that I can go online with.

Sell what you don't need and you'll be quids in mate.

Where did you sell it all, AVF or eBay? I'm going to be listing my JTAG'd RROD 360 tomorrow and I was thinking I'd probably get more if I sold all the bits seperate rather than as a bundle (brick, cables, controller, play and charge kit etc).

Cheers mate.

Pulled out of that 360 I mentioned earlier. Turns out the console isn't "new" as advertised and is actually a 2007 360 (so a dodgy Xenon board) and he's had it since then as well.

Got another one sorted for this afternoon though, 6 months old and with the receipt :)

If anyone is wondering about the Jasper consoles, seeing as they will be sold off cheaply now the S is out. I was asking my mate who is a manager of a Game store if he had many returns, he reckoned less than 5, and the Jasper has been out over a year now. He said though that you dont know how much these people were using them or if they had them with plenty of ventilation around them.

Have heard the reports that the new S does belt out alot of heat after a couple of hours use. Which considering it's using less power and smaller chips does seem very strange, maybe it's just putting more air through all the machine.

Cheers Holio. The one I'm getting is a Forza Super Elite 250GB so it's going to be a Jasper.

And a 250Gb, that'll do ya lad, the Jasper's have got quieter since their initial release as well. Just install the games, and you shouldnt ever have a problem. With the HDD that big, you should be able to install everything too.

Seeing my PS3 died this weekend, I've decided to jump ship and have bought the new 250g S, Will be delivered Saturday. Got it bundled with GOW2, PGR4 and Fable 2 for £199, could have got another 3 games in a pack for another tenner but they were out of stock.Think they were Halo wars,Halo 3 and Forza.
So as someone who's been exclusively on the PS Next gen, what essential Xbox only games should I be looking at, I've got around 15 PS3 originals and 2 Guitar hero guitars to trade in, so I may as well make a list.
cheers

Not really, it doesn't do anything much better than the one I've got now and I paid half what it would cost for a new model.

Gutted. Just found out that I can't merge profiles so that I can port over my achievements and saved games from my old HDD into the profile on my new HDD :(

The old profile never signed up to XBL so it's not registered as my Gamertag on XBL.

I'll still be able to use the old profile etc, but none of it will show under my DagsJT tag which is annoying.

Sorry if I'm missing something blatantly obvious here but I'm a little confused with the new slim X360s that have just been announced.

So I understand that there's a 250gb Slim thats basically a new and smaller console with a 250gb HDD. But we now also have a 4gb model that claims to have the 4gb in the form of internal flash memory (and apparently this model has a matte black finish rather than the glossy black that attracts dust and finger prints).
Is there any difference in these two models other than the memory?
And is it possible for me to attach a 250gb HDD to the 4gb model, making it the biggest model available?

Back
Top Bottom