• Poll closed .
GOTY is hard to chose between genres.

Wouldnt be easier to state.

FPS goty
RPG goty
sports GOty
adventure Goty
etc

though IMO personal GOTY I woudl judge on game that gave me most fun or I have most fond memories off.

Dead space 2
Mass effect 2
Deus EX Hr

Games i played this year strong in the memory.

About NBA2K12: the people on this forum who know their basketball (and i'm not one of them) seem not that enthousiastic about NBA2K12. To me it has also some flaws, but it's the best game of the year for me...

About NBA2K12: the people on this forum who know their basketball (and i'm not one of them) seem not that enthousiastic about NBA2K12. To me it has also some flaws, but it's the best game of the year for me...

why?

whats so good about it?

I had nba 2k on dreamcast 1999? and 2k9...seem decent basketball games. BUt Imo basketball games are quite boring becuase unlike say a soccer game. the match is to repitive as in shoot score x100.

Whereas a soccer macth can be 0-0 4-2 5-1 2-2 etc..much more going on in a footy game

why?

whats so good about it?

I had nba 2k on dreamcast 1999? and 2k9...seem decent basketball games. BUt Imo basketball games are quite boring becuase unlike say a soccer game. the match is to repitive as in shoot score x100.

Whereas a soccer macth can be 0-0 4-2 5-1 2-2 etc..much more going on in a footy game

i agree. i much prefer footy games as its much more dynamic and interesting to me then bball.

why?

whats so good about it?

i agree. i much prefer footy games as its much more dynamic and interesting to me then bball.

The only thing that could be possibly more boring than watching a basketball game would be playing a basketball game.

small_subtle_facepalm.png

Now you're just comparing the sports themselves, rather than the quality of the video games...

I'm litle bit amazed that Portal 2 isn't mentioned more often...here in Belgium most games magazines consider this the game of the year.

I'm litle bit amazed that Portal 2 isn't mentioned more often...here in Belgium most games magazines consider this the game of the year.

I'm pretty sure most of the players didnt complete the coop mode which was fantastic.

Yea right, lets turn this into a sports discussion thread.
I'm a football fanboy, heck I hang out at evo-web not nba-web.
I could say football is just passing side to side until someone gets it to the near the goal to finish it. Rite?

But I will stay on topic here, the next thing I'll say is about the NBA 2K12 video game strict.

Trust me its not that simple, go and score go back and defend, different teams will have different plays as long as you do this: don't play the most difficult level and turn clutch off, clutch is basically how the CPU will cheat you, whichever team/player will be extremely good and play the same with high difficult and clutch, so turn it down and off.

On a average/good difficult the game will be more balanced and you will clearly see the difference specially on offense, a CPU Derrick Rose will cross you over and drive while a Ray Allen will move around the court if sleep for a second he will score from outside.
Good big men won't let you rebound or go easily inside and on and on.
Not to mention CPU favors their best players or their hot streaks you really think a Dwight Howard team will play the same as a team that rely on their point guard? I can't think of one now, but maybe the Bulls. Different teams focus on different players.

Just as long as you remember turn the difficult down and this game will be a blast.
If you have patience for cheating the high difficults will offer a completely different experience, it will be a very arcadey game to be honest, I played tons of Hall of Fame games in early days of 2K11 but I'm done with crazy CPU.

Long story short this game offers pretty much everything you can want in a basketball game, don't forget the word basketball if you don't like it don't even try.

Yeah, there's much more depth to basketball than simply dribbling back and forth and scoring. Dare I say it, but the NBA 2K games offer much more tactical depth than any football game I've ever played, and the player individuality is completely on another level. The different play styles of the teams are immediately apparent, too.

If you don't like basketball fair enough, but NBA 2K offers everything a fan of the sport could want. There's so much depth there for those that go looking for it that the current football games are embarrassing in comparison.

2k nba games are brilliant. they have the gameplay to match the amazing game modes they have on it mate.

For me its just a matter of time i can spend on this game over fifa and skyrim and even bf3. Man i work 9-5 during the day earning a living and i have a wife so its difficult to squeze in more then 2 hours a night to game on.

That is why i rate my game of the year based on the game i play the most and for me its a corss between PES11 and Fifa 12, with Skyrim pretty close as well.

Why PES 11? well because i have played that game to death from Jan this year till september.

Yeah, there's much more depth to basketball than simply dribbling back and forth and scoring. Dare I say it, but the NBA 2K games offer much more tactical depth than any football game I've ever played, and the player individuality is completely on another level. The different play styles of the teams are immediately apparent, too.

If you don't like basketball fair enough, but NBA 2K offers everything a fan of the sport could want. There's so much depth there for those that go looking for it that the current football games are embarrassing in comparison.

Yea but to be fair, an NBA squad is what? 15 players in total including reserves whilst a football club has over 25+.

Toss in the fact that NBA has ho many teams? 30? 40? compared to Fifa game which has 300? 400 teams?

My point is that it is much easier to show more individuality in NBA then it is on a footy game as your dealing with much less content.

Depth wise i agree. the tactics and formations are a complete joke in both fifa and PES. All standard noob friendly tactics in it whilst nab 2k games have actual "set plays" , 1000's of them at your desposal and can even create your own plays.

Can u do teh same sort of thing in fifa or pes? hell no.

Yea but to be fair, an NBA squad is what? 15 players in total including reserves whilst a football club has over 25+.

Toss in the fact that NBA has ho many teams? 30? 40? compared to Fifa game which has 300? 400 teams?

My point is that it is much easier to show more individuality in NBA then it is on a footy game as your dealing with much less content.

Depth wise i agree. the tactics and formations are a complete joke in both fifa and PES. All standard noob friendly tactics in it whilst nab 2k games have actual "set plays" , 1000's of them at your desposal and can even create your own plays.

Can u do teh same sort of thing in fifa or pes? hell no.

That's true. The NBA is just one league and a basketball squad is small, so 2K can go to town on the individuality, both visually and stats.

However, a game like Fifa has a much bigger budget and EA has teams of people collecting stats on all the teams across the world. There's no reason why EA can't have quantity and quality. The trouble is Fifa doesn't implement those stats well enough so all the data gatherer's work goes to waste.

I do like basketball but I cant watch a whole game. Same with NFL, in fact I like madden a lot not played since 07 or soemthing though, also tiger woods another great sports game, though i never watch golf but I do play it now and then....anyway on point I enjoy playing basketball I played at school and was pretty good actually. Very good. Only at Pe and for fun sometimes not serious level.

Anyway I appreciate that 2k are meant to have made amazinfg swimualtion of the game and I know this having played the 1st ever nba 2k on dreamcast which took my breathe away back in 99 and then nab 2k8 or 2k9 on ps3?

However me personally I just find the games quite repititive. Scoring a basket is not like scoring a goal. Its common and they dont become important until the later stages of the macth and only if its tight. Thats why football is the ultiamte sport, prob one of the few games were the 1 goal can have such signiifcane on the result.

celtic 1-0 rangers last night example. Plus IMO soccer goals in creation and execution are more varied and exciting than a basket.

However, with respect to EA taking the game that was the basis of their new engine fifa 07/08? and the way the game plays now at fifa 12 i take my hat of to them. I played Euro 2008 the other day on ps3 and it is pretty terrible in graphics and gameply but you can easily see it is the 1st draft of the engine that has now progressed to fifa 12.

And i think ea need big credit for the way they have continually tweaked and evolved the game since then, in graphics, physics, animations, gameplay and game modes.

PES1-6 on ps2 were phenomenal games but apart from new teams progression was minimal each year.

Last edited:
Also did 2k not make top spin tennis 4?

I have this game and its a good tennis simulation but I get bored of it real fast. 2 player more fun but still broing.

I also have NBa jaM and old madden and tiger woods, nhl 09 and nba 2k9 and find all these games get boring on single player. The only sports game I enjoy single player is football games as I like to do my careers or master leagues etc..Perhaps as football is the only sport I really have a big interest in real life.

For me it's Skyward Sword and BF3. (If Skyward Sword was on an HD machine, it would be for everyone THE game of the year.)

Absolutely agree. IMO Skyward Sword is one of the greatest games of all time let alone this year, but I suppose due to the lack of people on here playing Wii these days it's been relegated to bottom place on the poll. Such a shame.

In terms of time played, my other game of the year goes to Bad Company 2. It came out in March and I played it right through to December. It's the best online FPS I've ever played, and for me, revolutionised how I play online with my mates.

I also think that Bastion is one of the most inventive and enjoyable games I've played this year. It's half price on XBL at the moment and is well worth a look (you can download the trial version for free).

What a year for gaming though. I've vastly enjoyed BF3, Zelda, FIFA12, Bastion, Bad Company 2, Killzone 3, Little Big Planet 2, a ton of older classics from the previous year, and have still yet to play Skyrim, Arkham City, Forza 4, Unchartered 3 and more. Blimey.

Last edited:
Yeah for anyone not into Basketball (which is most people) NBA2K gets boring very quick once used to the shiny graphics. :YAWN:

Seems like it. I try it but I cba to even play a full game. I dont get how people rate it so high?

For me basketball is a game that does not convert well to video games especially single player. I have much more fun playing NFL or golf, maybe even NHl and baseball.

Basketball plays are just to similar and repetitive for me.

Looks very nice though.

I also have nba jam thats wuite good but only for a laugh

Yeah for anyone not into Basketball (which is most people) NBA2K gets boring very quick once used to the shiny graphics. :YAWN:

Agreed, I downloaded the demo and got bored after one match (in fact, one quarter of one match).

It's about as much fun as watching paint dry, but without the thrills.

Can I not agree with this? ;)

I don't watch basketball, but used to play it as hobby, but NBA 2k showed new standards in things under hood. Why people want them to make football game? Because of their high standards.

The game is rated highly because of it's robust quality.

Also, I don't understand hockey at all, don't know rules, but God damn it, NHL from EA Sports is amazing, so much more than FIFA 12 is.

Btw most games get boring after a while, even football games. :P

Dark Souls.

I base my GotY choices on titles I've played. FIFA 12 would have made it into my top ten if I hadn't played 11 games this year.

Dark Souls.

I base my GotY choices on titles I've played. FIFA 12 would have made it into my top ten if I hadn't played 11 games this year.

Odd that you single out Fifa 12 as the worst game you played last year, i take it your still loving PES 12? I remember you thought it was great after playing it at Adams house, big strides forwards i seem to remember you saying....i guess we all see things differently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom