Your Game of the year 2011

What is your game of the year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
is this good for a non nba fan.

I had nba 2k8 and I really never played it. I foudn the games repititve adn no interest in the season/career.

Is nba2k12 much different?

I own 2k11 and it was a massive improvement! The in-game strategies, game-play, varied play styles, controls and overall presentation is fantastic. Granted, there were a few minor headaches, but, 2k12 was hailed as an improvement, reading from user reviews, it is pretty legit seeing how great 2k11 played. Plus, if you were an M.J. fan, you have to love that major feature of the game.

(Another game that benefited from the use of in-game sliders.)

For GOTY, I wish I could say Mass Effect 2 since I finally played it this year, but if I have to choose for the few games I have played, Fifa 12 it is.

Last edited:
I own 2k11 and it was a massive improvement! The in-game strategies, game-play, varied play styles, controls and overall presentation is fantastic. Granted, their were a few minor headaches, but, 2k12 was hailed as an improvement, reading from user reviews, it is pretty legit seeing how great 2k11 played. Plus, if you were an M.J. fan, you have to love that major feature of the game.

(Another game that benefited from the use of in-game sliders.)

For GOTY, I wish I could say Mass Effect 2 since I finally played it this year, but if I have to choose for the few games I have played, Fifa 12 it is.

mm maybe ill buy then.

as for op

Actually yeh Mass effect 2 was GOTY IMO but its 2010? in that case.

1st- Fifa 12

2nd- Deus Ex HR
3rd- Dead Space 2/bf3 tie

Gotta play uncharted 3 and SKYrim and BAtman AC though

i was tempted to add fifa 11 and PES 11 to that list because tecnicaly if u think about it, its really a 2011 game if you know what i mean.

When was mass effect released? around this time last year? if so, i think its fine to rate that.

IMO game of the year is what games that came out late last year/this year did you enjoy the most.

For me its a cross betwene PES11 and Fifa 12.

PES11 i hammered the crap out of that game during this year and fifa 12 is brilliant since it came out a few months ago.

i have tried nba 2k10 and played only a few games on it and looks solid. i might pick up nba 2k12 if i have the time.

IMO there is just not enough time to play all these games. This is why some games dont even get a look at for me such has nba 2k12 and wwe 12, games that would defiantly buy if there wasnt much going on.

I definitely want to try out Deus EX HR, Batman AC, and Uncharted 3. Who has time for all these games though? It has been an awesome year for video gaming, so absolutely no complaints seeing as we are getting our money's worth, but hot damn, our time management skills are getting pressed yo. 2k12 is worth a go if you did not get 2k11 to those on the fringe, otherwise, 2k11 will do just fine for me.

Any tips on proper game time management when you are not at work, spending time with the lady, or everything else? lol

Any tips on proper game time management when you are not at work, spending time with the lady, or everything else? lol

IMO the big killer is online gaming and career mode in sports games.

Bf online
Cod online
FIFA career
Football manager career.

These type of games kill a lot of time but its the same thing over and over. The 1st two dont even get you anywhere apart from unlocks and xp to look cool.

If I dont play online then more time for single player games.

I dont have a gf or a job atm. I dont like going out much at all. I dont like clubs or pubs either so really gaming is not a prob for me right now tbh. In fact i gamed so much im kinda bored of gaming

The Witcher 2 Assassin of the Kings. Hands down the best RPG I played in a while.

Skyrim would be 2nd best game I played this year, bur would probably classify it on 1st place in sandbox RPGs ;)

3rd Bulletstorm. Seriously. It reminded me why the Hell I loved 90s FPS genre so much! Linear to the bone, but still played it through 5 times, never getting bored... Probably due to skillshots ;)

4th Batllefield 3. As it improved multiplayer matches and has this new style to it. Also showed how old CoD is... :)

5th Red Orchestra and Batman. 1st shows that realistic nishe shooter in WW2 environment has it's place and what it offers, is miles better than arcade shooters (realistic bullet ballistics!!, wind, realistic weapon recoil, limited squad members [only 1 sniper @team for example]).

Batman improved over last version, still lacks blood :P, but it never has dull moment. Plus voice acting is amazing ;).

and did you really expected something different from evo-web users????
Yeah I did actually.

It's like if you asked me "who would be your football team of the year?", I'd say Barcelona, not Coventry...
Just because I'm a fan of Coventry, I don't think they're amazing - similarly, a football fan shouldn't just vote a football game for game of the year.

It's not like it matters but FIFA 12 is not game of the year material :P.

yea its not game material for you but for others it is. Most here love footy games and any decent one would get more play then any other game.

i have put in maybe 200+hours on fifa 12 and it just came out a few months ago. Before that, it was PES.

imo my game of the year is the one i play the longest. It is at least a potential game of the year because if fifa 12 was shit, wouldnt play it form 200mins nevermind 200hours

I agree for me gaming is like this.

365 days of year I will play 1 football game. This will make up most of my gaming over the whole year. Perhaps 5-7 days per week play time.

Then after that I will play

Football manager. Again very consistently.

now in recent times I got into fps games.

SO I have

Football game
Footy manager game
Online fps game

Online fps usually cod or bf, swithc it up.

Then after these 3 mainstays. I have other games that might get a bash to complete single player. Adventure games, action games, rpg etc..though some RPg can be 50-100+ hrs i.e. skyrim.

But these games may only occupy a weekend to complete or 1-2 weeks. Eg uncharted, batman etc..

So whislt some amazing games like uncharted, mass effect 2, batman< Deus ex etc..

I complete all these games in a weekend play or 1-2 weeks if spread out.

So, when I think of my game of year its hard to say a game that I only played for 10-20 hrs versus a game I play prob 250 days+ per year. And thats what I did with old Pes and now do with FIFA.

FIFA is a good gameplay, good online, offline career modes. I will play this game untilsept/oct next year. Its hard for me to say this is not my game of the year. I mean no game offers me that much enjoyabel gameplay.

Id say Deus ex and mass effect 2 were perhaps at moments more enjoyable but I complete them soon so its ahrd to say GOTY.

Especially as I am a huge football fan like I guess many others here. Football is main thing in my life video game and non video games.

yea its not game material for you but for others it is. Most here love footy games and any decent one would get more play then any other game.

i have put in maybe 200+hours on fifa 12 and it just came out a few months ago. Before that, it was PES.

imo my game of the year is the one i play the longest. It is at least a potential game of the year because if fifa 12 was shit, wouldnt play it form 200mins nevermind 200hours
I see your point, but if you were an outsider looking in at the gaming industry, with no disposition towards one genre or another, and no preference between sports, FIFA 12 wouldn't come near the top of a list when it comes to "game of the year".

There are plenty of other games which are far more polished, balanced, creative, revolutionary etc. and would be more deserving of such praise.
This poll doesn't mean much if people are just going to think along the lines of "I play FIFA a lot, I vote FIFA".

Again though, doesn't really matter :).

Does this poll mean much anyway? :DD

Evoweb was formed on the basis of a football game, so not a suprise really.

I voted Fifa because the manager mode is very good and what I have been waiting for in a manager mode for many many years. I can't wait for next year when hopefully they improve it.

But I am also biased because all I play is Fifa and Battlefield :))

The poll would only mean something if everybody that was voting played every game on the list for a decent amount of hours and then voted, but that is never going to happen.

I voted Fifa because the manager mode is very good and what I have been waiting for in a manager mode for many many years. I can't wait for next year when hopefully they improve it.

The poll would only mean something if everybody that was voting played every game on the list for a decent amount of hours and then voted, but that is never going to happen.

I agree. I've only played five games on that list and Forza 4 was my choice. Perhaps a non-football game of the year poll would have been better given the nature of this site?

PES2012 shouldn't be on any GOTY lists full stop and FIFA12 falls short again this year for me. Neither deserve a GOTY accolade.

I actually enjoyed Tour de France a lot. The game got bad reviews and i know damn well that it is no Skyrim, but i enjoyed a lot trying to win the TDF with Team Sky and Chris Froom (i ended second and will try again this holiday).

Problem is that reviewers have other criteria than comsumers. Let's take music as an example. Album reviewers look too much at things that are something new. An example: albums like Remain In Light (Talking Heads) and Swordfishtrombones (Tom Waits) are usually seen as the peak of creativity by the creating artists. IMO the Speaking in Tongues and Rain Dogs were better albums because the artists refined their new sounds...but the change is more subtle...an thus kind of gets unnoticed...The same is for games. Reviewers attach much importance at changements...extreme makeovers...new things...while i understand that, i don't agree.

List like these are always pretty useless no matter on what forum...but they are fun...i like them too.

That may include me then as I've played all major releases to completion or near enough (Skyrim).

My top 3 this year (aside from sports titles) are:

1. Zelda Skyward Sword
2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Battlefield 3

Honourable mentions: Uncharted 3, Batman AC, Deus Ex.

Sports titles:

1. NBA 2K12
2. NCAA 12
3. FIFA 12

Fifa 12 for me. Manual head 2 head is brilliant.

Skyrim is also great, but too glitchy for goty.

Loving bf3 and Batman.

Just not enough time to play them all.

Some laughably snobby comments in here, asking someone their game of the year then saying their game of the year is invalid because of this that or the other? Don't be silly.

Personally I judge my game of the year simply on:

1. what game provides the most enjoyment?
2. what game eats up the most of my gaming time?

The game that most meets those two criteria is my game of the year, thus Skyrim despite its bugs and sometimes lacking refinement in engine/gameplay is my number 1 and Fifa12 despite a couple of not so great gameplay aspects against AI is my number 2.

Some laughably snobby comments in here, asking someone their game of the year then saying their game of the year is invalid because of this that or the other? Don't be silly.

The game that most meets those two criteria is my game of the year, thus Skyrim despite its bugs and sometimes lacking refinement in engine/gameplay is my number 1 and Fifa12 despite a couple of not so great gameplay aspects against AI is my number 2.

Well this is a PES site, Fifa is always going to get ridiculed by some.

Fantastic year for gaming, still nothing was a mind blower for me.

If I did not have to play 90% of the game in stealth mode, i'd say batman. you really feel they have created a fantastic world, spoiled by having to look at in in stealth mode.
so i go for pure fun:
1) battlefield 3
2) rayman
3) uncharted 3

Still no game has given me the same immersion as red dead redemption, i wish they will be making a sequel soon. the best world ever created, even if it was dumbed down by a pathetic character and some silly story plot.

I think a "most disappointing game" would also be a fun thread.

I've played FIFA and/or PES on my Xbox over the past few years but because I'm already utterly bored with this years disappointing offerings, I've decided to try some new game genres to see if I can extract some fun from my Xbox.

So, given a lot of people seem to be enjoying Skyrim and Battlefield 3, I'm treating myself to them both. I'm quite looking forward to immersing myself into the beautiful virtual worlds, meeting the characters and having some adventures, rather than the now overly familiar frustrations and cpu cheats of console football. Hopefully, the change will whet my appetite for footy games.

Ektor70 - most disappointing game? How ironic you should ask that on a PES forum.

Last edited:

Not snobby, just logical.

Another analogy (to try to make the point easier to understand) would be to make a comparison to cars - if you were to be asked "What would be your choice for car of the year?", would you respond by naming the crappy cheap Peugeot that takes you to work, or a Jaguar/Aston Martin that, despite never having owned or driven, is obviously superior to the car you use daily?
(I know with cars there's a price difference which isn't the case in gaming, but that isn't relevant to the point I'm making before you pick up on this).

I can't stand basketball, but I can admit that NBA 2K12 is a better video game than FIFA 12, despite me not being able to enjoy playing it (I'd probably get more fun from FIFA).

If this thread is just to ask "Which game have you played most this year?" then I could see your point, but when the phrase "game of the year" is used, I take that to mean that you judge based on quality rather than solely personal preference and experience.

Your interpretation is obviously different to mine, and to call me "snobby" based on that is a bit childish to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
well football fan or not I really enjoy FIFA 12 as a game.

I think its impossible to judge sports games and other games on same scalle. because sports games are so unique and 1 dimensional.

I dont think its fair to compare a sports game to an RPG even on an overall GOTY competition.

Anyway FIFA 12 as a game for me is pretty fkin great especailly after I adjsuted sliders but also online.

I aint enjoyed a football game like this since Pes5/6. I dont know why all the hate.

Best football game in 5+ years.

I dont like basketball so for me this is my ''sports'' game of the year.

GOTY? Well its the only game I will be every week for 52 weeks so thats something unique also. Well I might play cod/bf online often aloso

Back
Top Bottom