World Cup 2010 - Slovakia Thread - Slovensko do toho!

PIPA23

retired :)
21 June 2007
So i open thread for my home country to talk about during world cup. We have the oportunity to play on our first World cup since our separation with Czech republic in 1993.

We have decent squad and all are realistic. But we dont go to Africa for vacation, moving from group stage would be big success for our team!

mb756t.png

Nickname: Repre

Team Kits:
33nf7z9.png
2wnabv5.png

Official Website: futbalsfz.sk

Manager: _svk Vladimír WEISS

33858778.jpg

Goalkeepers:
1. Ján MUCHA - Legia Warszawa
12. Dušan PERNIŠ - Dundee United
23. Dusan KUCIAK - FC Vaslui

Defenders:
2. Peter PEKARÍK - Wolfsburg
3. Martin ŠKRTEL - Liverpool
4. Marek CECH - West Bromwich Albion
5. Radoslav ZABAVNÍK - Mainz
16. Ján DURICA - Lokomotiv Moscow
21. Kornel SALÁTA - Slovan Bratislava
22. Martin PETRÁŠ - Cesena

Midfielders:
6. Zdeno ŠTRBA - Xanthi
7. Vladimír WEISS - Bolton Wanderers
8. Ján KOZÁK - Timisoara
10. Marek SAPARA - Ankaragücü
15. Miroslav STOCH - Twente
17. Marek HAMŠÍK © - Napoli
19. Juraj KUCKA - Sparta Prague
20. Kamil KOPÚNEK - Spartak Trnava

Strikers:
9. Stanislav ŠESTÁK - Bochum
11. Robert VITTEK - Lille
13. Filip HOLOŠKO - Besiktas
14. Martin JAKUBKO - Saturn Moscow
18. Erik JENDRIŠEK - Kaiserslautern​

flag_slovakia.jpg

Last edited:
Re: World Cup 2010 - Slovakia Thread

Yep some good under-rated players, Slovakia has a decent team. I have some hope for them and they might just surprise Italy and co. (Nice odds on the game)

Slovenia, I'm not so sure about...

Re: World Cup 2010 - Slovakia Thread

Slovenia actualy have also played as a team very good in qualification..i would not write them off..

yep he is

we just play against Cameroon, Kopunek scored fantastic long range goal!!!

:D

There are some very good technically gited players in the Slovakian team PIPA.

Especially Hamsik as the playmaker with excellent young wingers in Weiss and Stoch and a decent set of forwards.

Defensively pretty sound in qualification too. Making it to the second round should not be a surprise. :)

we conceeded very poor goal, our Keeper is injured and it looks bad with him..

the best surprise for me is Kopunek and Kucka, they both should be in squad, becouse also Karhan is injured and his chances for world cup fallen.. but not 100%

Hamsik is in form now + i think Weiss has better shape then in qualification, i mean he looks more matured..

as i said, Kucka from Sparta Prag is very big talent, our good CM, hope he will be in squad..

here we go, i dont know what to expect..first time ever on majour tournament..hope the guys wont be nervous..

Also i hope we play 442 with both Stoch and Weiss on wings.. could create problems for NZ defenders..

Hope we dont fail :P

i hope our slovakian brothers will bring one more victory to slavic teams, because we didn't!

thanx mate, so far we played under our level..we seem like all the world cup teams (except germany :D) that the best attack is defence....

anyway, hope we will win at least 1:0...but this wont solve nothing..

i feel New Zealand will be a pice of cake for either Italy or Paraguay..

this way, Italy should have rather won yesterday, becouse if Paraguay wins over NZ 4:0.. then our possible win today 1:0 would mean nothing.. :/

hope we will at least improve our midfield play in second half..so far it was surprise to see Sestak in AM position and Hamsik LM ....we never play like this before..

Considering about my post above,i think i dont know anything about football really or Slovakia was overrated by media (Turkish) or NZ wasnt the most weakest team in the world as many people says..

Good luck for the next match

well deserved draw, if we play static like today with minimum good passes, we dont belong further..

i know, i said it is deserved draw, we did not deserve to win after this performance in last 15 minutes...

Player Ratings : New Zealand 1-1 Slovakia

NEW ZEALAND

Paston: 5 - The second choice keeper started off in an assured fashion however he suffered several hairy moments as he flapped at set pieces and almost gifted Vittek the opening goal in the first half.

Reid: 8.5 - The promising defender had a match he will never forget. Though he lost Vittek for the opening goal, he more than atoned for his error with a superb last-ditch challenge to deny Vittek his second goal and then he popped up in injury-time with an incredible headed equaliser. New Zealand has a new national hero and he isn't an All Black.

Nelsen: 6 - The Kiwi captain marshalled the defence well and used his immeasurable experience to guide his younger colleagues through the match. He rescued his side on a couple of occasions when Slovakia looked to be in.

Smith: 6 - The young Ipswich defender slotted in well on the left side of the back three and didn't look out of place at this level. Looked comfortable in possession.

Bertos: 6 - The wingback looked to break down the right however he always lacked that extra yard of pace or a trick to trouble Marek Cech.

Vicelich: 7 - Operating further forward than usual, the veteran used his experience in Europe and for NZ to intercept danger and protect his three man defence. He covered lots of ground and was a real plus point for his side.

Elliott: 6 - The clubless midfielder showed good delivery from free kicks as New Zealand threatened early doors. Dropping deep, he found space in midfield which allowed him to spray passes out wide. He cut a more subdued figure after two painful challenges from Skrba.

Lochhead: 6 - In the first half especially he looked to venture forward and supported the attack well however defensively he was exposed at times against Weiss.

Fallon: 5 - The striker worked hard however lacked any discernible goal threat which will have disappointed his manager, given his experience in British football.

Smeltz: 7 - In terms of his all-round performance, New Zealand's top scorer was anonymous for long periods throughout until his sharp left foot effort into the side netting forcing a save from Mucha. However his brilliant cross for the goal ensured his name too will go down in folklore.

Killen: 5 - The tall hitman was lively early on with a couple of reasonable opportunities. However he offered little subsequent threat to the centrebacks and grew more frustrated in the second half.

Subs:

Wood: 5 - The youngest member of the squad was brought on to replicate his club role as an impact sub however never really got into the game.

Christie: 5 - Replaced the ageing Vicelich to provide fresh legs but was a peripheral figure.

SLOVAKIA

Mucha: 6 - The keeper did everything required of him when called upon. Everton fans will be safe in the knowledge they have acquired a safe backup to Tim Howard.

Zabavnik: 6 - The right back was quietly efficent in both defence and attack. He showed good positional awareness and effected some vital interceptions.

Skrtel: 7 - The Liverpool man was a tower of strength at the back and his intervention was just enough to pressurise Killen to fluff his early chance . As ever, he relished the aerial battles.

Durica: 6 - Like Skrtel he coped well in the air however at times he was wasteful in possession.

Cech: 6 - West Brom's leftback was dependable in the defence, coping easily with Bertos but will be looking to offer more going forward against Paraguay.

Strba: 5 - The tough schemer sat in front of the back four and was guilty of some rash challenges and at one point was in danger of seeing red.

Weiss: 8 - The jet heeled winger displayed some good trickery down the right hand side. His pace was always the best outlet for the Slovaks and he also showed his excellent crossing ability with an inch-perfect cross for the opening goal.

Sestak: 7.5 - The striker always looked to get in behind and his pace was an effective weapon, which stretched the Kiwi backline. A goal would have been the icing on the cake.

Hamsik: 6 - The Napoli star was deployed on the left due to his two-footedness and thus he did not get into enough goalscoring positions. It was a frustrating afternoon for the highly sought after midfielder as he failed to impose himself on seemingly inferior opposition.

Vittek: 7 - The former Lille striker lacked confidence in the first half however, unsurprisingly for a man who had failed to score in the qualifiers. However he took his header superbly to open the scoring and from there on was bright.

Jendrisek: 5 - Operating wide on the left, he was rarely in the game in an attacking sense. In the first half, he briefly switched sides with Weiss briefly but to no avail.

Subs:

Holosko: 4 - Lacked the spark of the man he replaced.

Stoch: 5 - The winger on the way to Fenerbahçe was given a brief run out after his knee problem.

Kucka: NA

Truth be told I was very disappointed by the team PIPA.

Hamsik was content to play lateral passes and not seize the game.

Only good player was Weiss who tried to create openings and Sestak upfront running the channels. Maybe when Stoch starts there will be more attacking threat.

Strba was dreadful and another referee would have sent him off. Cannot they play Sapara alongside Hamsik for some needed creativity ? Karhan is a big miss.

At this rate Paraguay and Italy have nothing to fear amigo.

Hope we will have chance to see Holosko on the pitch for the next game in the starting 11,if he has a good form,he can be one of the fastest player in the tournament..

Last edited:
Disappointing Slovakia.

I expected them to win if not comfortably at least by 1 goal.

But think about the fact that if it wasn't for the off-side goal, they could've lost this match!!

Well, after first half with Paraguay we are loosing 1:0..

it dont matter to me if we loose, but we play bad.. actually we dont have the skills to overcome Paraguay..

but for a country like us, it is big succes to at least be there..

Still we would kill Paraguay in Ice Hockey :D

.............HOPING for a miracle draw for us.....

Yes most important is to be there,i wish we were there too,even u dont score even 1 goal,the whole world is watching u,know ur players,watch ur flag,of course everybody likes to play finals or win it but just being there is much better than nothing...

What a disgraceful, boring match. I felt like watching an amateur game, just like before vs. New Zealand.

yes i agree, it was awfull...

still we are "better" on this situation as Cameroon and France..

but not for long...

Paraguay were in second gear most of the game and yet looked comfortable. They could go far.

To me it looks like the Slovakian players are content just to be there.

Also the coach. When 1-0 down around the hour mark make some positive substitutions not Sestak for Holosko. Mystifying. A real lack of urgency and the first effort on target is in second half injury time.

Paraguay deserved winners. Great tournament for CONMEBOL disastrous one foR CAF and so so for UEFA thus far.

Bad luck PIPA but still a creditable acheivement to get to the finals ahead of the Czech Republic and Poland.

Paraguay deserved winners. Great tournament for CONMEBOL disastrous one foR CAF and so so for UEFA thus far.

+100000 CONMEBOL national teams are kicking butts on this WC.

The balance between UEFA and CONMEBOL in world titles is equal with 9 for each one, so I hope this year we can get back our position as the continent with more WC championships:APPLAUD:

Bad luck for Svk but maybe they can beat Italy and Qualify to the next round

Last edited:
tbh, after i saw our careless play with bad tactics and lineups imo.. we rather stay with ice hockey and let the other play football.. :(

i am negative..becouse comparing to Slovenia for example...we play realy bad...

hope we will at least play good against Italy..

tbh, after i saw our careless play with bad tactics and lineups imo.. we rather stay with ice hockey and let the other play football.. :(

i am negative..becouse comparing to Slovenia for example...we play realy bad...

hope we will at least play good against Italy..

Cheer up mate. What is Slovakia's population in total ? 5.5M. That's less than London so just getting there is a creditable acheivement.

Plus the sight of some Slovakian beauties in the crowd is always nice. ;)

Back
Top Bottom