World Cup 2010 - Slovakia Thread - Slovensko do toho!

realy thanx guys, i appreciate it...we played just like i wanted us to play..with passion, even if we draw or loose, i would be proud, but this is just dream...

Brian, to answer you...it will be hard...today, tomorow and day after :D

can`t deny u your passion lovely goals ,but that last volley made everyone in Chilis (sport bar) scream WOW...WOW WOW!!!!! OMG that was cheeky!

Knew you could do it! :)

Finally a good performance from Slovakia playing up to potential! Congratulations!

Bravo Slovakia!Bravo!Today Slovakia at last that has shown the force and by right has beaten Italy! I feel Russia it will be not easy to play with Slovaks in a selection round to EURO-2012.:D

Separately happy for Martin Skrtel, he grew up as a football player in my team :)

It's a pity that Weiss did not take Hubočan in WC, he played fantastically this season

He will have future in our team, as well as Svento of Red Bull Salzburg, who imo should have been in the squad...over Kozak for example..he is to slow for modern football and is in Africa becouse of qualification performance..but also becouse of good relationsip to our coach..since Petrzalka FC days..

found nice article from todays match:

1257311fulllnd.jpg

“This is one of the greatest days of my life,” an overjoyed Vladimir Weiss told FIFA, fresh from his Slovakia team’s historic victory over Italy. “I’m very proud of what my players have done. They played a fantastic match.”

Even after the initial euphoria had died down, it remained tough to overstate his charges' achievement. Appearing at a FIFA World Cup™ for the very first time, the Repre not only sealed their passage to the Round of 16 by downing the Squadra Azzurra 3-2, they also dumped the reigning champions out of the competition.

“It’s fantastic and we’re having trouble believing it,” Erik Jendrisek explained to FIFA.com. “I imagine that only tomorrow will we truly realise that we’re in the last 16 of the World Cup.”

No matter how difficult their feat may be to grasp, Slovakia’s runners-up spot in Group F owed nothing to chance and everything to an ability to outdo themselves in order to continue their FIFA World Cup adventure. Forward Robert Vittek did much of the damage with a double, after being positioned in left midfield against Paraguay, and his vital haul also took him level with Szilard Nemeth as his country’s highest-ever scorer on 22 goals.

We’re having trouble believing it. I imagine that only tomorrow will we truly realise that we’re in the last 16.
Slovakia's Erik Jendrisek

“This is a huge win,” explained Vittek, the Budweiser Man of the Match. “We’ve pushed back the boundaries of Slovakian football. We never would have dared dream of this. I’m overjoyed. We proved that we’re capable of great things. My individual performance doesn’t matter; only the performance of the team counts. But, of course, to be chosen as Man of the Match means a lot to me. I’d just like to be able to break up this trophy and give a little piece to every one of my team-mates.”

Vittek was right to praise his colleagues for their sterling efforts and Slovakia were particularly eye-catching in midfield. Enjoying his first start at South Africa 2010, Miroslav Stoch never stopped testing and harrying Italy’s defence, and after first asking them questions from the left he switched to the right with similar effect. Likewise, Jendrisek and Marek Hamsik capped stylish displays by setting up Vittek for his goals, while holding duo Jurak Kucka, who was making his first start, and Zdenko Strba stifled Azzurri trio Riccardo Montolivo, Simone Pepe and Daniele De Rossi.

Sealing victory required a solid defence as well and for 80 minutes Slovakia held firm, with in-form Jan Mucha making a string of saves and Martin Skrtel pulling off a remarkable goal-line clearance from Fabio Quagliarella’s 67th-minute close-range attempt. They began to crack in the final ten minutes, but in contrast to their opener against New Zealand, this time they held on for the win.

“We showed today that we also know how to play attacking football,” added Jendrisek. “Italy were undoubtedly surprised by how we performed and what we were able to do. The difference between this match and our last two games was that as well as trying to play football, this time we did it with heart.”

Last edited:
just adding that, against Holland will be very hard to repeat this.. :)

Hmm after seing Holland play and knowing Robben will be fit... it will be the final for us :D

but also i would like to see imo our best striker (ok second best after Vittek) in action..

Holosko deserve to start..he is very quick and good finishing..but i doubt coach will give him time if Vittek is on form now

It will be tough and Holland have the excellent Sneijder , VP, Robben and Elia to throw on later as well as Afellay.

But then again their defence could be a bit shaky and got at as Russia did at the last Euros.

Interesting game in prospect. Is your head clear after the celebrations mate ? ;)

Slovakia will need to hammer as soon as possible, but after a goal it cannot leave in defense because after the passed goal Dutchs will attack with the double force. Most likely they will need to pass to tactics of counterattacks because Dutchs attacking will reveal and give chances to hammer still.:TU:

yes, Holland is favourite...but after italy i belive in miricals...

World Cup Preview: Netherlands - Slovakia
By Adam Scime (goal.com)

Kick-off: Monday, June 28, 16:00 CET.
Durban Stadium, Durban.

Dutch Delight

As far as group stages go, the Netherlands will be pleased with their efforts so far, seemingly playing in second gear and managing to win all three games.

The opener against Denamrk was dull and required a bit of luck when a Daniel Agger own-goal opened the scoring. Afterwards, they were the only ones able to defeat a hard-working Japan side, eventually breaking them down with a Wesley Sneijder strike. Finally, a relatively meaningless match against Cameroon saw Robin van Persie and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar find the net, but more importantly winger Arjen Robben make a successful return from the sidelines.

Now it's time for coach Bert van Marwijk and his squad to hit top gear. The Dutch have typically been known as underachievers at the World Cup and can't afford any mistakes now. If they can play to their potential, Slovakia will fall by the wayside and the Oranje camp will be in excellent shape ahead of a potential quarter-final clash with Brazil or Chile.

Van Persie knows this better than anyone:

"Hopefully this will be our year, but we have to show now that we learned from the last two or three tournaments. Most of our guys have two, three or even four tournaments in their legs so hopefully we can show now that we learned from that. I do believe that we can win it, but we still need to do it.

"The match against Slovakia will be a tough game, very tough. I saw bits and pieces of their game earlier on and for them to beat Italy like that, it is unbelievable, so we need to be really sharp."

Slovakia Slay The Giant

After their opening two matches, in which they were extremely disappointing against New Zealand and Paraguay in Group F, no one gave Slovakia a chance against the world champions, even if Italy had not been up to scratch themselves. Nonetheless, the players finally clicked in unison and engineered one of the biggest shocks in World Cup history as they advanced to the second round and eliminated the 2006 winners in the process. Goal.com's Marcus Haydon described it as a "miracle".

They key pieces finally did their job. Centre-back Martin Skrtel was solid and decisive, playmaker Marek Hamsik's runs and passes caused problems, and Robert Vittek is in a rich vein of form in front of goal. The Slovakians will have to do even better than they did against the Azzurri to best the Netherlands.

On Monday, It will depend which Slovakia show up. Will it be the one who were abject against the All Whites and the South Americans or the team that shocked one of them ost successsful World Cup nations of all time?

Realistically, few will expect that coach Vladimir Weiss and his team could repeat the trick, but with the massive boost of confidence, they could provide a stern test.

FORM GUIDE

Netherlands

WON 2-1 (n) Cameroon (World Cup, June 24)

WON 1-0 (n) Japan (World Cup, June 19)

WON 2-0 (n) Denmark (World Cup, June 14)

WON 6-1 (h) Hungary (Friendly, June 5)

WON 4-1 (h) Ghana (Friendly, June 1)

Slovakia

WON 3-2 (n) Italy (World Cup, June 24)

LOST 2-0 (n) Paraguay (World Cup, June 20)

DRAW 1-1 (n) New Zealand (World Cup, June 15)

WON 3-0 (h) Costa Rica (Friendly, June 5)

DREW 1-1 (h) Slovakia 1-1 Cameroon (Friendly, May 29)

TEAM NEWS

Netherlands

Van Marwijk has no suspensions to consider, but Arjen Robben could make his first start of the World Cup after a successful substitute cameo appearance against Cameroon. The coach says they are being "cautious" with his recovery, but there is a chance he will feature in the starting XI. If so, Rafael van der Vaart will drop to the bench. Meanwhile, Gregory van der Wiel should return ahead of Khalid Boulahrouz on the right side of defence.

Probable Starting XI: Stekelenberg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Van Bronkhorst; Van Bommel, De Jong; Kuyt, Sneijder, Robben; Van Persie.

Slovakia

Veteran midfielder Zdeno Strba is suspended after picking up his second yellow card against Italy. The defensive midfielder's presence in the centre of the pitch is likely to be greatly missed. The coach's son, Vladimir Weiss, could re-enter the fray.

Vittek will once again lead the line, hoping to add to his tally. But he will often likely find himself working on his own up front as the others drop back to try to limit their opponents. Slovakia will look to hit on the counter and Marek Hamsik will once again be relied on for creativity.

Probable Starting XI: Mucha, Pekarik, Skrtel, Durica, Zabavnik; Weiss, Hamsik, Kucka, Stoch; Vittek, Jendrisek.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

The Bayern Munich star's return from injury was successful. He only played a handful of minutes versus the Africans, but his curling shot that hit the post from the edge of the area set up the winning goal, tucked away by Huntelaar. Robben has promised more is to come and against Slovakia he'll have the chance to prove it whether from the start or from the bench.

Robert Vittek (Slovakia)

Who else? The 'man of the match' versus Italy is tied for top-scorer in the 2010 World Cup with more high-profile names in Gonzalo Higuain and David Villa as of the end of the group stage. A journeyman throughout Europe, featuring in Germany, France, now Turkey, the Slovaks live or die by the 28-year-old's ability to finish his chances.

PREDICTION

The Dutch have been racking up victory after victory, and while the attacks Slovakia came up against in the group stage were average or worse, the Netherlands will be far more ruthless up front. It's unlikely their defence will be able to contend with a highly potent Oranje assault.

Netherlands 2-0 Slovakia

my tip: 1:1 (Slovakia win on penalty :P)

I think Slovakia is a much stronger team than people thought at the start of the World Cup.
After beating Italy, nobody will underestimate them.
All interviewed Dutch players take Slovakia very serious.
I myself have some bad memories about EURO 2008, when Russia beated us. This looks like the same scenario: Convincing 9 pts in the group-phase and then playing a "lower ranked" opponent in the first knock-out phase.

Hopefully we will not fall into the same trap again.

Good luck to Slovakia.

Enjoy the game PIPA if you can. You must be nervous. Guess the streets of Bratislava will be deserted this afternoon. :)

Not shure but i think there will be people watching the game on streets also :P

i am not nervous.. just enjoying that i have this oportunity to watch my team now at this stage..

hoping for good game..

thank you for supporting words :)

unbeliveable how this referee did not see that we should have corner from Jendrisek chance..

the same in the end where Kucka leg was not to high and he whistled...

that should have been corner!

we allowed robben to score cheap goal...hope we stay focused in second half..and draw as soon as possible.

You had some real chances in that second half. Stoch, Kucka and Weiss looked very lively.

Maybe it's a case of self belief but perhaps you could have done more. Some players will be regretting not going further. Mucha a couple of fine saves and then a real gift.

Here's to Euro2012 and some of the exciting youngsters in the side.

You also missed 2 1on1 chances that should have been in.... I don't think ref did that much of a bad job in this match especially after watching teams getting cheated out of wc in the past 2 days...

no the ref itself did not bad but where are the linesman?? who should have seen our minimaly 3-4 corners that were not seen? dont get me wrong but also how much times he whisteled foul...on Kucka..or Skrtel in the end...who did not touched v. Persie.. this things deciede the match and we could have draw at least today...

but yes...the future looks bright..we have good young players and there is many i know that were left home and are good and very young...

EURO2012 is near in time and for us also in both countrys that sorounds us..hope i see matches in Ukraine and Poland in two years! It will be nearly as home :P

Bad luck, Slovakia. It was a poor start to the tournament but they really play some nice football and have shown a lot of potential for the future. I think Slovakia will be one to watch at Euro 2012.

You will. It's 24 teams now, isn't it? Everyone can join in.

Euro2016 Jamezinho. I know they are trying to spread the word and of course increase revenues (the only real reason) but the format as it is fine . Makes the qualifiers seem less important.

Euro2016 Jamezinho. I know they are trying to spread the word and of course increase revenues (the only real reason) but the format as it is fine . Makes the qualifiers seem less important.

Ah, ok thanks. I agree, 16 teams is perfect and provides a workable format. It also ensures that only those that deserve to be there actually qualify. I'd like to see how the format will change with 24 teams and how they will get the 8 quarter finalists from that. Best placed runner-up spots will make things complicated.

Back
Top Bottom