Winning Eleven 9 : First Impressions - NO QUESTIONS HERE

The R2 thing was changed for the PSP version to make the controls more similar between PS2 and PSP versions of the game. Just in case anyone was wondering why...

> filthydani
everybody has tested the game here, maybe you were one of the last to test it to be so... of course u must play mode 5 all manual, i hope for u :)

dribbling sucks when to easy, in we attck was to easy since we5. We ,and PES on PS1 used to be a hard and difficult game base on basic moves with the paddle.*

i used a lot R2, i feel the new system new to be fully tested. FOr me it looks good to descrese the tempo and get back to slow anbd realistic pace.

The problem for mee seems to be shots, feels like far shots are too easy loke in we8le. i will have to test it really...

Last edited:
martd said:
One thing that i'm sure will annoy the hell out of me is the "side step without holding R2" feature. I used to like to run down the wing and cut in at 90 degrees but now, obviously, its not possible.
The 90 degrees Cut is possible. Now u did the same as always for e.g. u run to the side of the area. then instead of simple cut in 90° with a simple tap of directional pad, do the 90° cut with a fast DOUBLE TAP of the directional pad, and your player will cut as did in the WE8LE (no side step)
ok?
Great!!!

Yeah! Nice! I somehow would have rather put the sidestep in the double-tap, and let the behaviour be the same for the normal D-Pad tap, but I'll have to wait 'till I play the game to know. I'm just waiting for it to arrive... do you think I will be able to load it via cogswap? (I hope it is ok to ask this here, if not, please edit this post and receive my apologies).

lemojito said:
> filthydani
The problem for mee seems to be shots, feels like far shots are too easy loke in we8le. i will have to test it really...

Glad I aint alone on this..

I think there easier than in WE8:LE :(

Its the only downside..

Everything else is great!

I am kinda dissapointed, there are like 6 new licensed teams, which isnt that much really, and the game is far too slow imo and the speed the players run is appauling, you just cant get past anyone unless you pass.

But apart from this, the game is incredible, edit mode is fucking great, it has ALOT to do, the stamina bar is great, the fact you can have home shorts on away shirts is even better, and the fact you can change radar colour in-game is bloody amazing.

The new animations, when you crunch someone they stumble over instead of hitting the floor like a sack of potatoes, all in all this game is really incredible except for the lack of new licensed teams. The game is far too slow imo but I hope I can get used to it, the shots are also alot harder, and on level 3 I struggled to score at all in 2 games.

In an interview with Seabass, he mentioned that you had to concentrate on defensive blocking of powerful long-range shots... is this the case now? He said that blocking would be much more effective.

Mufc_Rule said:
Glad I aint alone on this..

I think there easier than in WE8:LE :(

Its the only downside..

Everything else is great!

PLF said:
There is an option to show player's fatigue bar I think it is under their name, which can be very useful so you don't have to go to formations.. screen to see how tired they are.

Komani had a bad idea to display this information because when you'll play against a friend he will know if one of our players is tired (specially in the case of defenders) and it will be easier for him to attack knowing the weak point of the team...

Yea but its an option, so if you play a friend you can both agree to turn it off.

sg-40 said:
Komani had a bad idea to display this information because when you'll play against a friend he will know if one of our players is tired (specially in the case of defenders) and it will be easier for him to attack knowing the weak point of the team...

Disagree mate as now you donT have 2 go into the formation screen to check which was a pain in the ASS!

sg-40 said:

You can switch it off ;)

I love this game, just one frustration about the circle button to advance to x to go back, im hoping it can be changed to x to advance and triangle to go back, but i cant understand the japanese.
Im also liking the fact you cant just run past people, that used to annoy me in pes4.

First post here,

Just to state this is way too easy shooting from long distance! I'm not a professional either, but seems to me you just have to trigger a shot with high power and the keeper will deflect it, most often in his own net (I play at max difficulty, obviously)
Otherwise, the game is wonderful : very technical and much more a simulation than previous installments. Still, it is even more funny to play too :D ! A lot of new clever animations, which confers more realism on the gameplay!
Just wonderful :lmao: !

Dead Man said:
Disagree mate as now you donT have 2 go into the formation screen to check which was a pain in the ASS!

You didn't have to go to formation screen to see the fatigue of your players. You press start and you go int the quick player change menu and you switch the information whith R2,L2,.. (don't remember) to see the palyer's fatigue.

But that's perfect if you can swicth off this option

filthydani said:
Give me a posistion beside the Wing Back that defends the sides in the (midfield)....only!

If you can have DH(MIDFIELD)/CB(DEFENDERS) defending the Center, why cant you have Wingback(MIDFIELD)/sideback(DEFENDERS) defending the sides?

In the pes5 beta manual, it says LMF ONLY ATTACKS in the sides, CMF DOSNT defend the sides either..

I cant really get your point, why would you want to have two sidebacks on the same side of the pitch???? A wingback just is a sideback participating in the offence more than a normal sideback.

If your such a pro your pretending to be you know that you can make sidemidfielders go back an defend.

If your that dissapointed, stop playing the game, go back to whichever WE you like.

sg-40 said:
You didn't have to go to formation screen to see the fatigue of your players. You press start and you go int the quick player change menu and you switch the information whith R2,L2,.. (don't remember) to see the palyer's fatigue.

But that's perfect if you can swicth off this option

Your right my mistake!

carrick said:
I love this game, just one frustration about the circle button to advance to x to go back, im hoping it can be changed to x to advance and triangle to go back, but i cant understand the japanese.
All Japanese games are like this so get used to it. It cannot be changed.

jumbo said:
this game is MEGA-SICK :D
Keep up the SICK comments dude 8) They're great :)

filthidani- shut it. You've ruined the thread already. :roll:
(and if you still cry about the 90 degree direction change, why don't you use the diagonals?)

Okay, just played one match and it felt better than ever. I don't know what the Dani-guy is talking about, saying its RIP now... The thing I had with WE8LE was that the players looked like a totally noob handicapped team. In WE9 you have more control but not too much like in PES4 where you could outdribble the whole team. Haven't noticed any slowdown at Wide Cam, not even at corners where it would usually lag. Anyway I think it's the best one till WE10 comes out :P. Btw only played one match: Chelski - Barcelona 1-0 to me. Great goal by Drogba ( the shooting is much better now :))

Just one complaint: Feyenoord is too weak... :'( It's impossible that the Ajax forwards are better than the Feyenoord ones. I mean Kalou is worth 10-20 million and Kuyt is 18-25 million. They both scored 20 goals last season. The best Ajax forward only had like 10 goals :S

Gosh I played for the past 1 hour .. I find it so hard to score!

Played my first game last night when i got in quite drunk, had to say i didnt like it that much and just could not score

Played 3 games since i got up and really enjoyed it, only scored in my third game where im currently leading 3-0 against Real using AC.

there seems to be a lot less breaking through the offside line with through balls which is better as it makes for a more setlled game, keepers seem better but ive only played 4 games so ill wait and see

stats seem a lot better, even Joe Cole is half decent

Not having played the game but instead reading these posts and imagining playing (:(),it sounds brilliant. I suppose this is an Impressions Impression here, so you'll hear nothing new from me!
Everyone seems to think it's quite different from WE8LE (though I haven't played that either!), the dribbling genuinely sounds great, regardless of people (person, anyway) who evidently bought Whining Eleven this year - dribbling is literally just moving with the ball, so I think it SHOULD be done just with the directional buttons/stick. If you don't like the fact they've actually gone and changed something in a new game then all we can do is ignore you and hope you'll go away.
It's also delightful to hear the crowd are much improved. Even if you can't see the crowd when in wide mode, as long as they can be heard reacting to everything in the game (the DivX videos definitely show them getting excited about counterattacks for one) you can feel them, and that's the main thing.
All this other stuff, fair play, animations etc is a joy to read/hear. I know we can't ask questions on here, so I won't.

If only someone could tell us about lobbed shots in detail ;)

Just made a few games and I must say I love it!
The animations are fantastic - the ball physics, that has always been the most brilliant part of the game are even improved. It just gives you the feeling of more "freedom".
But also pass-play is better, shots on goal are more realistic, dribbling is improved - too much to mention all.
The only bad thing imho is - its all japanese, so I can't wait for the patches :)

PEACE AND B WILD!

Back
Top Bottom