What have you done Konami? (very disappointed by PES 2008 demo)

what the hell was it with the trailer then? they promised to give moving kits and hair this year, I can't believe it could possibly be another lie, another broken promise, another step down... Konami, what have you become?

I see fluidly moving jerseys, not too sure about hair though, but in my replays, the jerseys definitely adjust with player's bodies.

LOOOOOL

it's hard to accept but the sad truth is:

Seabass is clearly heading towards FIFA-like arcadish gameplay with the WE/PES series.

but dont be too depressed due to the fact that good next-gen versions of sports video games in general (also refering to NBA Live 08/NBA 2K8) will only be released from next year, fall 2008, on.

this year, 2007, they all simply wanted to give us the overwhelming experience with their games but fact is, they got stuck in something too complex for them to handle, let alone all the collision detection/locomotion type of problems with the upcoming titles.

true next-gen we will see next year.

and people who want tv-realistic video games even have to wait until PlayStation 4 comes out.

dont be mad, go out and play some real-life footie with your friends, and as the weather sucks by now, you can always go to the gym and play there.

peace

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

because this is the first nexgen title shouldn't be an excuse for a crappy game... can't compare this one with the step taken towards PS2... at the incredible tehnology that game programers have in their hands today and with konami's experience in gaming... this game should've been a winner, not a fifa look a like.
and futher more... remember the old saying 'don't fix it if it ain't broken'.
why in the hell did they have to change the ball physics? and other related engine parts.
and you thrully believe that everything in this game is nextgen? do you think they made everything from the ground? anyone who believes that is a fool.
and those ugly ice skating moments that the palyers often do... how the heck can u excuse that?? how is it possible that in the year 2007 you see bugs like that in the game that should have been the greatest football simulation ever??for me this is inacceptable...it just shows either that konami has zero testers or that they just don't give a crap anymore.
and to be able to play this game at high level u need SM 3.0?? come on man.. this is just lame... this ain't bioshock or crysis or unreal tournament 3 or something where SM 3.0 can make a difference.. it's just a freakin football game!!!!
for me being someone who bought a very expensive graphic card a year ago that has only Ps 2.0 it's verrrry frustrating that i can't play this crap at high details. even PES 5 or 6 looks 10 times better in high than this PES08 at medium.
it's obious that this year konami screwed up big time with the PES series but none the less there will be plenty fifa fanboys that will buy this game cause they will get bored with fifa pretty quick so the sales will go well, konami will make a lot of money doing a crappy game.. again and next year will release another PES that's even crappier and so on.
Konami should be ashamed!!!

I think some of you guys are looking far to deep into what is a demonstration version of the game. People are even giving "reviews" of the game based off the demo. Seriously, games change quite a bit over the course of just a few months and this demonstration version was made before a convention a couple months ago.

Have a wee bit of faith in Konami and wait until the full version comes out.

I think some of you guys are looking far to deep into what is a demonstration version of the game. People are even giving "reviews" of the game based off the demo. Seriously, games change quite a bit over the course of just a few months and this demonstration version was made before a convention a couple months ago.

Have a wee bit of faith in Konami and wait until the full version comes out.

I do agree with you but features like moving kits, hair, other graphical issues or even mandatory gameplay features ought to be implemented in the demo version just to make buyers sure of what they're gonna buy, but giving a review is not acceptable.

I do agree with you but features like moving kits, hair, other graphical issues or even mandatory gameplay features ought to be implemented in the demo version just to make buyers sure of what they're gonna buy, but giving a review is not acceptable.

Well the graphical features are there. And overall, the game is very nice looking and plays well, but I wouldn't expect some of the more labor intensive, time consuming details to be in the demo version, as they would still be in the tweaking stages at the time that the demo was built.

u just dont get it people dont u??? this is a freakin demo...it's not a beta version...so the full game won't change much cause the last few months are spent fow tweaking, fixing bugs and shite... but this game need more than tweaks and bugs fixed... that why people are riviewing it beacause the full version will play the same way.
why in the world would Konami release this crappy demo in the first place if the full version will be different?? i tell you why.. because it wont be different.
i'm just curious how the game will play on PS3... after all play station is its native console... cause the gameplay videos that i've seen from the GC in Leipzig were verry smooth and promissing... much better that this demo on PC and x360.

I totally agree with the creator of this topic What have they done to the Beautiful Game?. I care mostly about the gameplay, its all good having licences and having everything nice and proper but LOL who cares about if a player hasn't got the correct boots or if his hairstyle is a bit off. Its about the GAMEPLAY, and i must say its extremely disappointing. The game just feels to rigid and bogged down. Ive hardly played the FIFA series since the Megadrive version LOL so i don't know if PES 2008 is heading that way. I hope not , i was hoping for the experience when i first played WE7, WE7fe and WE8 where the games really showed evolution.
Of course this is based on the demo and the final game will be better but by how much?. As the previous post stated , Demo's generally don't differ to much from the final version.

If the game is like the demo i will be avoiding a PES game for the first time

im quite impressed about the graphics. kits, faces etc... couldnt make any impressions as of yet but at least the PREDATOR ABSOS (CL & WHITE BLUE), TUNIT III's and NEW NIKE MERC VAPORS are in the game... although i must admit it hasnt swept me off my feet first time i played it as opposed to say when i got my 1st copies of pes5 or 6... oh well, maybe it will grow on me once the full version comes out... ill still be playing pes rather than fifa :)

im quite impressed about the graphics. kits, faces etc... couldnt make any impressions as of yet but at least the PREDATOR ABSOS (CL & WHITE BLUE), TUNIT III's and NEW NIKE MERC VAPORS are in the game... although i must admit it hasnt swept me off my feet first time i played it as opposed to say when i got my 1st copies of pes5 or 6... oh well, maybe it will grow on me once the full version comes out... ill still be playing pes rather than fifa :)

wow dude ur such a geek.

u just dont get it people dont u??? this is a freakin demo...it's not a beta version...so the full game won't change much cause the last few months are spent fow tweaking, fixing bugs and shite... but this game need more than tweaks and bugs fixed... that why people are riviewing it beacause the full version will play the same way.
why in the world would Konami release this crappy demo in the first place if the full version will be different?? i tell you why.. because it wont be different.
i'm just curious how the game will play on PS3... after all play station is its native console... cause the gameplay videos that i've seen from the GC in Leipzig were verry smooth and promissing... much better that this demo on PC and x360.

demo is of just 5mins and it not enough to judge a game completely. within 5mins one can just watch graphics, slight movements, not AI, not overall environment or tension it develops during a period. .or in other words gameplay.

demo is of just 5mins and it not enough to judge a game completely. within 5mins one can just watch graphics, slight movements, not AI, not overall environment or tension it develops during a period. .or in other words gameplay.

You can change the time on the demo now, and its still disappointing

Id just like to give my opinion on the demo after using the time extender (20min game).

PES2008 is much, much less repetitive than PES6. PES6 gameplay can become fairly dull after a while because of the simplicity of the player movement. PES2008 resolves this, the players move around much more realistically. This makes defending very hard especially because of how easy it is to give away fouls now and how once your past a defender unless your very slow they wont catch you. The movement is very accurate and quicker than PES6.

Secondly defending has been improved. I've given away plenty of fouls so far with the basic tackle and i hardly ever think about sliding as it almost always leads to a yellow card unless done perfectly. Defenders now try to get the ball in different styles rather than just kicking the ball or magically gathering it from another players feet. There is real physics involved here when the defender sticks or stamps his foot on the ball which makes tackling not as back and white as it is in other games.

The overall speed of the game is almost perfect. However long ball speed and trajectory is nowhere near accurate. Otherwise running, passing, even shooting speed is OK. I also like how player momentum and position is now even more important when recieving a pass as its quite easy to lose control on your first touch.

AI seems fine, nothing special really but i've seen some neat things so far like the CPU diving in my box, or taking a very smart free kick chip to a player at the near post for a soft volley. Diving is also pretty sweet, ive managed to do it once outside the box when the CPU was pulling on my shirt.

Overall im pretty happy with PES2008. Give it time is all i can say, it is better than PES6. Its a much more realistic game (apart from long balls) even if it takes a while getting used to.

PES2008 is more a simulator than previous versions for sure. BUT it has some major bugs that are really dissapointing.

Major bugs (I´m sure I forgot a couple):

- Goalkeepers :shock: they actually HELPS you to convert goals!!!
- "Iceskating", simply unacceptable in a next-gen game.
- Some Collisions are totally wrong.

KONAMI should set some priorities:

1st- GAMEPLAY (goalkeepers are included)
2nd- Whatever they want...

I think it´s better than PES6 anyway so at the end IT IS the best football game out. LET´S hope this major bugs are solved in final version (especially goalkeepers) [-o<

i am going to say this as simple as it can be said don't try to compare this pes 2008 to any other pes ever it's a new era a new gameplay a new style so either:
step your game up
or shut the hell up

besides it's only a demo i played the fifa 08 demo and the final game is much better than the demo so i think it's also the case here

Last edited:
i am going to say this as simple as it can be said don't try to compare this pes 2008 to any other pes ever it's a new era a new gameplay a new style so either:
step your game up
orshut the hell up

besides it's only a demo i played the fifa 08 demo and the final game is much better than the demo so i think it's also the case here

And I'm gonna suggest you better stop posting in large letters and let people express their personal opinions without having to "shut the hell up". Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
After my original kinda negative comments i must at least say that i'm starting to grown into the defending. I do like the fact that the cpu is penetrating my defense more easily than in pes6.

Still hate the running animations but they will look less funny from the wide view cam i suppose.
One thing that still give me problems while defending is that the control is in my opinion not tight enough. You move left and then try to turn the other way and the player keeps sliding to the left, as if he's standing on ice. Takes a lot of adapting.

Also i still do not like the long ball as i feel its way too fast and not enough arch to the ball. I used that a lot in pes6.

Gotta get some more games and see if ill grow into it

Pes 2008... just a poor arcady football game...
Too fast... no AI... just 2 pass and shoot...goal! very pathetik game.. :(

This is the TRUE end of serie... thank you M. Seabass...

For me : the best PES so far. Much less arcade than PES6. Maybe a little too fast and has some bugs but the more i play the more i love it.
The ball is no more super glue attached to players' legs.

lol, just played a 20 Minute Match against the CPU on Toplevel, 1:1 only, chances over chances, but both Teams were too dumb to score or hit the bar...then Penalty Shootout, the new Camera Angle looks pretty cool, after all i won 8:7 in the Shootout, my first 3 Players had to shoot once again ^^

After all, from Game to Game, im looking forward to the 25th October :)

The more I play it, the more I like it. The 10 or 15-minutes matches make it definately more playable!

Allright, keepers make some mistakes. But they have also great saves and act really cool when someone comes 1 on 1 with them (make themselves big, are agressive etc.) Also I'm appreciating more and more the details, like the dribbling style of C.Ronaldo (just like his dribbling running style) and the stunning graphics. And what about the new crossings from the sidelines. Sometimes they swerve over the keeper, you can bring them in from any place. Very realistic, and it plays better and better! :)

In the first case, I was a bit dissapointed too (just like I was when PES6 came out). I think it's just a case of 'getting used to it', when you get used to it, you never want to go back to an older PES! :applause:

The AI is definitely a great addition. I used to play pes with sliding tackles all the time, and it continuously worked. Now after 5-10 sliding tackles, the defenders tend to slow their dribble and walk it round me if i slide. It definitely makes me have to step my game up.

The more I play it, the more I like it. The 10 or 15-minutes matches make it definately more playable!

Allright, keepers make some mistakes. But they have also great saves and act really cool when someone comes 1 on 1 with them (make themselves big, are agressive etc.) Also I'm appreciating more and more the details, like the dribbling style of C.Ronaldo (just like his dribbling running style) and the stunning graphics. And what about the new crossings from the sidelines. Sometimes they swerve over the keeper, you can bring them in from any place. Very realistic, and it plays better and better! :)

In the first case, I was a bit dissapointed too (just like I was when PES6 came out). I think it's just a case of 'getting used to it', when you get used to it, you never want to go back to an older PES! :applause:
Totally agree, looking forward for the release of the game.:D

Couldn´t agree more. I never liked playing against machine, but it´s not cheating THAT much in demo. I think it´s a lot , and I mean A LOT closer to realism that previous versions and that FIFA´s demo. Keeping the ball with Riquelme it´s awesome, passing is awesone, the way your teammates and opponents moves is great, "men marking" is a lot better that it was in PES6.
Like Henrik said, it´s just a matter of "getting used to it". The more I play it, the more I enjoy it...

Anyone complained about the refs? I think it is the biggest flaw in PES2008. They tend to give red cards for fun when you tackle and you have to be really lucky to avoid a yellow as well. 89% of tackles get booked, I think they need to fix that by release. It must not be difficult.

I tried tackling at first and got 3 consecutive yellows, but now it is rarity,20%, not because I've stopped tackling, but I do it only when I am very sure of it.

Back
Top Bottom