What have you done Konami? (very disappointed by PES 2008 demo)

Lazar

Conference
6 August 2003
Switzerland
Just played the PES 2008 demo and can't recognize that I'm playing a PES/WE game, it's a totally different feeling and I don't like it at all (too fast and arcade gameplay).
Btw, dribbling and scoring (professional level) is so easy, there's absolutely no challenge when playing against the CPU.

I can't understand how Konami managed to ruin the PES/WE series, but with PES 6 and now PES 2008 they certainly did! What a shame...

I've been playing PES/WE games for years (since Playstation) but PES 2008 makes me want to try FIFA 08 (just like PES 6 made me try FIFA 07, but it also sucked), in fact I just started downloading the demo (I hope it will surprise me and be better than the FIFAs of the last years and PES 2008).
EDIT: well the FIFA 08 demo also sucked, but it seems that the PS3/XBOX360 version is much better than the PC, hopefully FIFA 09 on PC will be as good as on the next-gen consoles (yes I've lost faith in the PES/WE series).

Last edited:
lol lazar..fifa for pc is a lot poor than pes..i don't know on xbox and ps3 but on pc is the same thing with fifa07 ,+ that they copied from konami switching the player with Q and one more thing i don't remember now,...i think at throw-ins to throw with s

I agree, it just doesn't feel like PES. You don't seem to have as much controll over your players like you had before, shooting is muck, they haven't bothered to add new shooting animations, they're adding stupid crap diving to make it more "realistic"...ok then, why not add 20 team leagues or fix the ridiculous collision detection!! How many years do Konami need?

The following months will be full of people suggesting things for the next version of this game, but what's the point, they never listen to the fans and after the disaster that was PES6, this isn't looking good either.

The trouble is, Fifa is just awfull, so theres no alternative.

lol lazar..fifa for pc is a lot poor than pes..i don't know on xbox and ps3 but on pc is the same thing with fifa07 ,+ that they copied from konami switching the player with Q and one more thing i don't remember now,...i think at throw-ins to throw with s

Have you tried FIFA 08? I heard good things about it...

Anyway, I'm very disappointed by PES 2008 and will give FIFA 08 a try.

Last edited:
I agree with you Lazar. I don't play longer this demo. It is just FIFA'08?

And I don't want to buy a new graphic-/videocard for this. Because in the replay's he goes very slow.

(Sorry for my english)

Same here.... a little disappointed with PES6, but VERY DISAPPOINTED with PES2008.... it really reminds me of FIFA 05,06 & 07....

my case...very happy with pes...new menu..great menu and GUI and i like also the gameplay..maybe if it would be a little slower would be perfect

How long are you playing PES/WE games?

Maybe PES 2008 won't disappoint the "new" players (comming from the FIFAs or new to soccer games), but for ppl playing PES/WE for years it will be a huge disappointment, at least it is for me and the ppl I usually play with.

I think it's brilliant. Thought it was good on the 360, but love the PC version even more. The pace of the game is much better now. Just need to sort the resolution situation and I'll be sorted!

The demo is superb. I noticed a big difference with A.I. The forwards actually try and stay onside for a change. I've been playing since ISS on nintendo too. :D

I can see how some people won't like it because it's harder to score by simply giving the ball to Adriano, running past everyone with defenders bouncing off him, and scoring from 30 yards. That spoiled PES6 for me bigtime.

I play a passing game, trying to beat offside and i'm very impressed with the gameplay.

Graphics have blown me away, i bought a new graphics card for this and i will definately get my money's worth. I think the replays are better, longer to show more build-up.

Overall, i think it's a step in the right direction. I just hope to god that the no online 2v2 rumours are false as KONAMI have not said it themselves.

This thread is a DISSAPOINTMENT.

Seriously, PES08 is the best PES series of them all! People just have so much high hopes. It's fine how the game is.

I really love the game. At first it was so-so, but that's getting used to the new gameplay and graphics. And it's very, very good! I love the game. Glad I've bought some new pc-components for the game. Can run it at high quality now! Seems like you guys played a different demo.

I love this demo. And I was expecting not to, after comparing videos of both PES 2008 and FIFA 08.

Seriously, FIFA looks a lot better this year graphically (although yet again, not close up - FIFA's player models are seriously ugly), and I was beginning to think that the gameplay looked like it might just have caught up or overtaken PES. Now I am not so sure. I absolutely loved playing this demo - finally, attacking players are doing what I always wanted them to do, ball control is precise, free kicks aren't impossible anymore. The movement still looks very robotic (which is where FIFA wins) - but I can live with that for another year, because the game is just so much fun.

I was starting to really regret spending £400 upgrading my PC instead of buying a new console. Now I think I probably did the right thing, especially when the patches start coming out for the PC version.

I think, given time to get used to it, this version might come good. Not too sure at the moment though. It does remind me slightly of last year when I got PES 6 on the 360, looked nice, wanted to like it, gave it a chance, and eventually gave up on it, deciding it was pish. Thankfully the PC version measured up and has been keeping me going since. Now I havent seen the 360 demo (as my machine is broken AGAIN!, cheers M/soft), but with the 360 controller options in the setup, is this not just a lazy port of that version? As with the PS2 versions in the past. Best to wait and see when the full game comes out, then decide.....surely.

I can see how some people won't like it because it's harder to score by simply giving the ball to Adriano, running past everyone with defenders bouncing off him, and scoring from 30 yards. That spoiled PES6 for me bigtime.
Harder to score?
I find it much too easy to score in PES 2008 (professional level): just take the ball on a side of the pitch with a good dribbler, go towards the penalty point and shoot when you are close enough... that's it! (it works very good even if you are running vertically before shooting)
It was already a problem in PES6, but it's even worse now and there will be lots of funny scores in tournaments and online games bcs of this.

Last edited:
dissapointed with this version of the game , played pes and iss since day 1 , it seems to be getting like fifa , i did have a slight problem and that was replays and video action was slow/jumpy but thats prob my pc , game i didnt think was upto much but will probably buy it and see how it goes as i love pes and have done for many a year, really want to like this 1 but sadly im willing myself to like it , damn shame , let down konami !

just played the demo ..
and i really get sick from it ..
it's a totally different feeling and I don't like it at all ..
i will play more games , and i hope i change my opinion !!!!!!
also formation setting sucks !

Last edited:
yes i don't like pes 2008 too... graphic is good, but the rest?!... never... no simulation, just arcade... very poor, Konami... sry...

i love the game too.i just had a go on the demo for an hour none stop and im loving it better than pes6. the transitionf rom pes5>pes6 was a step back but this is game is a HUUUGE step forward. the pace is perfect, the A.I has improved dramaticly. you actualy have to pass the balla round to score instead of using adrinao has one person mentioned!

This game is fuking amazing and with patches and mods this game will be absolutely stunning and this coming from a person who has played this game since the ISS days.

it runs fine on my agp system with a 7800gs card aind a p4 3.2ghz cpu. the only thing im worries is thereplays seem to drop my fps a heck of a lot and during corners or when there is a big cround of players, the fps dips to the 30's but most of the time it stays at 60.

anotehr thing to consider is that if the game is patched with HD kits, chants, stadiums etc, this came could run a bit more slower than normal has what happened when you patched the pes6 game.

all and all a truely breath taking game that im definietly cant wait to play the full version

Mhhh i dont Like it very much, graphics are Ok( but it gets better on PC)!

Its a port of the 360 version, i dont believe that the final version will be changed, but if someone of konami reads this i hope they do it:

1. some Bad animations (running)
2. The graphics of the Crowd( Supernintendo Sprites look better than this)
3. The Pitch looks terible ( this can be patchesd i hope)
4: Gameplay

I dont like that the passing is to slow sometimes, players need a litle time to react the AI not! I dont like tis ping Pong feeling in front of the Box when Ai is defending and the same defender blocks 3(!!!!) Times a shot (super defender in Turkish Team played on Proffesional)!

The shots himsels are more controlled (direction) but where is the Power??
The Ball feels heavier and shooting sometimes like my Grandma Kicks the Ball! and my Friends i Play this Seria from the beginning! and no i am not a Fifafanboy!

But i cant believe that konami bring out this Game, I dont need perfekt Faces in Short ingamevideos after a foul, i see my players from widecam, running, kicking and playing! i want ecxellent Stadium, good animationa, nice Pitches( Like some Patchers do)!

But this Demo is for me to say it nice : Not what the PES series needs!

The Series is now a Big market Player and wants to sell to all the Guys who play football on every console and every PC, it has nothing to do with the games they have started!

Konami goes EA.............!

Alot of people have waited a long time for this and on the whole its not too bad, there are just a few bad points.

The main concern i had with the demo was the graphics, it didn't look 2 bad overall there was just a bit of slowdown when choosing your kit and the shirts looked a bit worse for wear. Seriously what is up with the replays?, don't get me started with them. The game play wasn't as bad as most people make out: i liked that the ball has a bit more weight other than just floating away every other time, the crosses have been improved somewhat as have the chips(I scored a beautiful chip with ronny-dinho ;)).

One of the funniest things is the diving, its going to be way to much fun using that when the real game comes out.

Overall i think its going to be really good when released, just wish they had kept the odd thing from pes6. But anyhoo roll on October 26th \\:o/

I actually like it. PES6 was disappointing but PES 2008 is actually quite an improvement. Some might say fake dives are stupid, but I think they really add to the atmosphere. The game is a little bit faster. One of the things I didn't like in PES6 was the pass-speed, which is considerably better in this version. Lovely crossballs and tight passing...awesome. Shots are a bit soft so far, but I might be doing something wrong. I'm used to the previous PES settings where you should only press for like 0.1 second or it goes over. Anyway, I'm gonna play again and try some of the new moves. :P

I have the same indifferent feeling I had after playing the demo last year. Not completely blown out of the water by the demo but I can respect the changes that have been made and I know I'll adapt to them given time.

I've played 3-4 hours on a variety of settings so far and I can't say that I've been dominating the computer on 'Top Player' the way I normally would on PES6. Majority of my goals have come from crosses or goalkeeping errors. Highlights so far have included a Ronaldo volley from an Adriano 'flicked through ball', a 30 yard effort from Mascherano that went in off the post and Tiago nipping in at the front post to volley home a Deco free kick from a wide position.

The complaints I keep seeing about the graphics amuse me. What were people expecting? Something that looks like Crysis? Compared with last year the graphics have seen massive improvements. The graphical user interface looks clean and crisp and deserving of a place in a PC game. The in-game models look sharper and on a whole the colours look a lot more vibrant and stand out than before. I'm a little dubious about the faces and the kits right now but if the option arises to edit those in a similar manner to previous versions then I can't see there being any problems there. My major concern is what they have done to the goals themselves. Not keen on the new style of nets. They look more like something you'd see in a local park than at a football ground but if that's how they are going to be then I'll have to accept that.

My only real gameplay complaints are the same ones I raise every year. The computer covering itself when you expose it by forcing you into playing a bad pass or delaying the run of a striker to stop you scoring what should be a certain goal. It isn't anything major but a simple pass across the 6 yard box being messed up is not something you see too often at a high level of football. There doesn't appear to be a lot of power behind shots but I'm judging that on those taken when a player is running with the ball. I did notice the Ronaldo volley moving at a fair pace and I've seen Henry give the ball a good thump towards my own net a few times. The usual goalkeeping mistakes have cropped up as well. Ricardo punching backwards against his own bar allowing Anelka a free header and then minutes later Coupet gathers the ball, slides into the post and releases it for Deco to score. Hopefully all little niggles that won't appear in the full release.

So far the game seems to play steady with everything turned up. (8800GTS, 2GB RAM) I feel I'll need another few days with it to fully feel comfortable with the game but it's looking good.

Back
Top Bottom