WE9 - Post your complaints and disappointments here!

I don't know if this exists in previous WEs, but for me this has got to
be the biggest complaint I have.....
You are only allowed to change the Difficulty setting for ML in the Off-season.
I finished my 1st season, and for the friendlies, I realised it was too
time-consuming, so i just set it to 1* and 5 mins, to get it over with...
cue the new season and I cannot change it back to 3* which I was using
in the previous season.........there goes my ML and all the transfers...
what a waste of time.

Been playing WE9 for a week straight now, and the only thing that really pisses me off BIGTIME, is the referees intolerance to shoulder challenges. Really really really fed up with being fouled at almost every fkn time i do an x+[] challenge. R2 challenges are better than ever tho. Another thing is the L1+triangle..way too powerful most of the time, wish there was a powerbar for it.The game is close to perfekt, and more real than ever. All i hope is for PES5 to correct the annoyances.

I love the game tho, cant stop playing. Just need to "unlearn" what i have learned about all previous PES games. Months from now ill look back and just laugh of the so called annoyances :)

winston said:
This is good advice and I can confirm it works. I've barely turned it on in the past few weeks and am growing to like it.

Tbh so have I, I only turned it on the other day to edit the WEAmerica option file, but less WE = more happiness :)

Pere Ubu said:
The funny thing is that people say it at the wrong time.

In the old days, people would say "go play FIFA!" when someone complained that the kits were wrong, or the commentary was shit, or the music was lousy, something cosmetic that FIFA does better. It was still a lame thing to say - why shouldn't WE/PES have good music etc? - but it was making a point, which is that gameplay is the important thing, and if graphics mean more to you than gameplay you should maybe play FIFA instead.

Nowadays, someone says "it's terrible, I noticed something wrong in the ball physics" or "this sucks, it's too easy/hard to dribble past three defenders", all the kids start shouting "go play FIFA!" Yeah, because FIFA's gonna offer more to someone frustrated with the intricacies of WE9 gameplay?

Idiots. It's gone from being a way of saying "FIFA and WE/PES have different strengths and weaknesses, you have to make a choice and accept it", to just being a way to say "everything Konami does is great, I don't care if they take the piss with bugs, encryption or not properly coding the new additions to the game, I don't care if they fuck up Master League with stupid amounts of fatigue, I don't care if the first summer release version of each game is really just a beta for the final version the following spring -- give them all your money and never question anything."

Makes you sound like a bunch of George W Bush supporters. "So what if he's a dangerous lunatic gradually destroying the world and slaughtering half the Middle East? If you don't like it, go and live in China!"

well said mate. well said. :applause:

Still playing WE9 and still enjoying it :)

One area I really hope Konami tweak in the future is injuries and fatigue. To make the game more realistic, they should increase the frequency of injuries, with perhaps more longer term injuries, and reduce the impact of fatigue. I've finished my first ML season with no injuries but have to rest players after every 2-3 games (I can understand having to rest players if you have a league and cup game in 1 week but not when you're only playing 1 league match a week).

well said docomo. there aren't enough injuries and they need to bring back free transfers in the ML. and another thing, they need to vary the AI tactics - when playing the computer the games only really becomes open after the first goal. the AI tends to sit back until after it's behind.

question: we used to make tournaments among friends last year ( we8 ) but there is some problem at the strip selection and button configurations now (we9). sorry if it was mentioned before just got no time reading the whole thread. well, i can handle the lineup in the opening screen (formation settings) before each match and also the button configurations. BUT the strip selection before each match is driving me crazy. first match fine. you can modify them etc. but from the second match on 2nd player can't do nothin' (strip selection) and 1st player can just switch to home - home or away - away (no matter strip, shorts, socks or alltogether)! is there any solution for this - do you guys also have such things in the cup mode (with more players) and btw i do not use any kitpatch! plz help me ... ethem

I noticed a similar problem several times when playing with one of my friends. As expected, we play a freindly match where everyone of us has his team saved in him memory card. Now, when the match ends, the option of "play again" is completely dimmed (you can't select it!). So, now, we had to load the teams AGAIN everytime the match ends. It is so annoying. Imagine you keep selecting the same team and loading it from the memory card after every match.

What is so ironic is that the option was there, it is just for absolutely mysterious reasons, you can't select it.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm in WE9!

we9 single player experience is getting boring... they better improve the master league system or i'll quit winning eleven untill a better master league system comes up

Sarcasm aside, BK has a serious point. i've given this game a month or so now, almost all single player ML, and it really kind of sucks. More than any of the previous games anyway. Away matches are a joke:
Computer can tackle from behind. Little foot in tackles, from fully behind your player, at any speed. You on the other hand, cannot.
Computer will foul 90% of the time when you burn them on the wing. They'll just take you down, no cards. Same if you're breaking on a counter attack. I've given up questioning how sami hypia can catch ronaldo, but not only do they catch up, they just give a way a harmless foul, and no cards.
If the computer wants to score, and you can tell its about that time, just get out of the way and let it happen. It doesn't matter if they're real madrid or portsmouth, one of their central midfielders will rip your entire team apart, get in the perfect ball to the double marked 5 foot tall striker between your two giant centre backs and he will score. So just sit back and let them, and hope you can manage a few long range goals.
I paly 15 minute matches, and I'm fouled about 20 times a game. And after 3 seasons, I've never seen a red card. Its like every team is porto under jose mourinho, if they get the ball and look dangerous, just take em down.
Its painfully obvious that your stats are reduced and the opponents increased. Your players cannot turn when they receive a pass, their first touch is consistently terrible, while the computer can take the ball in stride every time. It doesn't amtter the matchup, your player will get knocked off the ball in a challenge, so no point in having a big man upfront, or a player like baba dioup in midfield, they'll lose out to the fearsome power of a paul scholes or the like.

I just find myself insulted by how stupid the cheating is getting. I realise thy're focused on multi player, but seriously, I would go play FIFA if it didn't suck. So go ahead and tell me to. All I can hope is someone else enters the market, whose of idea of challening AI isn't cheating, but smart passing, tight defending and equal chances for both teams. Maybe its impossible, but its pretty clear Konami have given up putting money into the single player AI.

joostebrood said:
Well BK, they heard your story at Konami and for you, and for you only, they're creating a brand new game.

really? i feel so honoured, what game is it? winning eleven BK edition?

Why is is that every god damn pass I make, wether its with X or /_\ , goes into the god damn space for the reciver? Ok, sometimes thats a good thing but more often its just screws up my whole god damn intentions. Scripted crap.

And, actually, the whole controll in this game is screwed up due to long stupid animations triggered by this and that I didnt intend. I just want to make a simple turn, THEN pass the god damn ball, stop dancing around you god damn idiot! I didnt intend that move! Where's the close controll? Where the feck did it go?

An uncontrollable, scripted mess is what this game is.

Dump those Kceo monkeys for christ sake. They're ruining the series!

The gameplay on 6* exhibiton is pretty sweet but in the ML, it becomes horrible. The physics becomes weird and clearly scritped, and the bias in favour of the cpu team is ludicrous.

I forced myself to play a whole season and you know, despite being fouled on average 10-15 tim4es per match, the cpu teams did not pick up one single booking in the entire season. What happened Konami? Did you forget to program it in?

I also noticed a trend of the cpu awarding itself free-kicks around my box and scoring direct from them. There was definitely a problem with previous version of the game where the cpu would virtually never score from a free-kick, but thump everything over the bar. Now, they taken it to the opposite extreme and there's nothing you can do to stop the script unfold.

But what makes it doubly disappointing is the way it will award itself the free-kick int he first place. You know it's coming, the cpu has gone into super-charged mode where all it's players are given 99 stats for everything, but is still struggling to break down your defence, so it just awards a free-kick for an off-the-ball collision with a guy you weren't even controlling....cue the scripted goal.

You know, I could live with the cpu super-charged mode it it played like that from the start.The problem is that it only ever happens late in games, every single match. Of course, you're guys are suffering massive fatigue at this time which compounds the imbalance. Please Konami, do something about this aspect of the gameplay. It's predictable, boring, unrealistic and in need of a rethink. Make some of the cpu teams play like from the start, then make some of them actually get tired, not faster.

Another thing, anyone ever noticed that they always beat the top teams in the ML quite easily, dominate possession, quite often score a few goals, yet when you play the team at the bottom of the league, invariably, it's a much tougher game? It's like there's some kind of algorithm where it balances out the stats of both sides, so if you play against a great team with great stats, it will allow you team to play with their full stats, but if you play against a crap team with crap stats, it lowers your stats to make it a more even contest, so your guys play like crap, they're slow, cannot pass, refuse to shoot on target.

I do hope Konami read this thread because they need to know that a lot of us recognise what they are doing and are disatissfied with the way they are currently doing things, particulary the scripted nature of the ML gameplay and cpu cheats.

I tend to agree with bulldrig. The gameplay is a bit of a scritped mess at times, particularly in ML.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to see how the ML is controlled more often by AI scripts.
Certain games I can seem to control my players much easier and able
to play well.
Other games, the scripting is so obvious, nothing I do will work out.
Every pass is labored, some moves have weird animations....and
the CPU will just do it's weird super-accurate 40 yard through balls
and amazing crosses into the box.
Nothing to do with fatigue, as my players are normally pretty well
rotated.
I'm into my 2nd season in ML, and this season it is very obvious that
there is a lot of scripting to the play.

Like Classic said in the ML thread, why dont they give you a game
which will reward good play, and not try to control your own players.
But the scripting is there to add some randomness, where in fact it
is becoming too predictable.

The other thing I've lost count is the number of times I get hacked down
when clear on goal, no card, forget even a yellow.
It's amazing, how they could program something like this.

ML is pretty sad, with all these scripts.

mathewsss said:
I'm beginning to see how the ML is controlled more often by AI scripts.
Certain games I can seem to control my players much easier and able
to play well.
Other games, the scripting is so obvious, nothing I do will work out.
Every pass is labored, some moves have weird animations....and
the CPU will just do it's weird super-accurate 40 yard through balls
and amazing crosses into the box.
Nothing to do with fatigue, as my players are normally pretty well
rotated.
I'm into my 2nd season in ML, and this season it is very obvious that
there is a lot of scripting to the play.

Like Classic said in the ML thread, why dont they give you a game
which will reward good play, and not try to control your own players.
But the scripting is there to add some randomness, where in fact it
is becoming too predictable.

The other thing I've lost count is the number of times I get hacked down
when clear on goal, no card, forget even a yellow.
It's amazing, how they could program something like this.

ML is pretty sad, with all these scripts.

Yeah, we all dont have to like it, but need to accept it else stop playing ML or WE althogether.

I do feel though that CPU players should be carded more. But then, I received tons of cards when I started palyin WE9, becoz I was defending wrongly. Now I hardly give away fouls, and also stop racing blindly into CPU. So they foul me less too. For me, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass (keep the ball moving) is the way to go.

Cheers

the option is not to play ML/WE, but that's the only decent football
gaming we can get in the market.
So I will continue to play it.

This version reminds me a bit like WE6FE, I don't know if you remember ...
but there was a thread in the archives .."is WE6FE cack?".
The CPU plays very similar to WE6FE, they pack the penalty box and
use long-balls and long through-passes to attack you.
In that game, there were similar flaws, like the lofted-through-ball
not working, simple passes going bad, scripting....
It was the worst WE I had ever played.
WE9 is better, but it does remind me of WE6FE to some extent.

I think it was WE6FE that had the player spasms, where the guy you were "controlling" would sometimes go into a weird routine where he would flicker between two postures for a few seconds, like he was having a fit, and you couldn't move him until it stopped.

It would tend to crop up when you were just about to do something crucial, like kick the ball into an empty net, and lo and behold, your guy would lock and start flickering for a few seconds until the ball had rolled passed him, and only then could you move him again.

It was like Konami's code was having a crisis dilemna, knowing you were pressing forward and kick but also knowing if it allowed it, you'd score, and it didn't want you to score at that moment. Unforunately, this dilemna was played out visually before your eyes as user input, and thus gameplay, closed down until the coast was clear.

I think it was on seeing this ridicuous spasm occur an a number of instances that I began to realise what the game engine was really all about in terms of creating "challenge" by gently scripting certain moments to prevent the logical and inevitable from happening and replacing it with scripted "amazing bad luck", after all, amazing bad luck sometimes happens in real life, right?

Since then, I've noticed more and more of these cheats, as have many people, and whilst the crudeness of the WE6 spasm is now gone, Konami's "cheating" philosphy is still flourishing, to the point where it has all but suffocated the gameplay in ML.

Last edited:
one thing that I find annoying, is when the CPU puts a through ball
or long pass, you switch control to the defender nearest to the
CPU player, the first thing that happens is that he moves away
from the ball, giving the CPU player a good advantage to run
away.

Of course, I could go on and on about the advantages the CPU has,
like rebounds from a collision, rebounds from a corner always
going to the CPU player.

The reason Konami has these scripts in is to make the
game **harder** and seem more of a challenge...

...sometimes I forget, it's just a computer game.

I noticed that 5* is easier than 3 stars. I have been playing 3* for 5 seasons now and decided to try out the 5*. I find it hard to believe, but I noticed less fouls in 5*, and your opponent try to attack more often which leaves some space in his defense. It was rediculous to find teams i 3* just passin the ball around with no intention to attack.

cheating does happen, but I don't complain about. I think it is part of the game, and bedises, I do cheat sometimes :)

Last edited:
Observer_ said:
I noticed that 5* is easier than 3 stars. I have been playing 3* for 5 seasons now and decided to try out the 5*. I find it hard to believe, but I noticed less fouls in 5*, and your opponent try to attack more often which leaves some space in his defense. It was rediculous to find teams i 3* just passin the ball around with no intention to attack.

cheating does happen, but I don't complain about. I think it is part of the game, and bedises, I do cheat sometimes :)

Funny you say that....I've always been on 3* on WE9 thinking
I would progress to the next level after winning Div 1.
But maybe I should try 5* or even 6* in the next season
just to see how it goes.

It sounds hard to believe too, I know. But I score more goals in 5*, and I receive some as well. I noticed my players perform better too. As I said before, CPU players are more aggressive in attack in 5*. I scored 12 goals in 4 matches so far, which rarely happened in 3*.

The refree seems more in control of whistle too, less fouls.

Ofcourse, in 5* you cannot fail to notice the super duper through pass for the CPU player, crossing more than 40 feet through tens of legs. But again, it doesn't bother me as long as I score more than I conceive.

My only worry about 5* is that player transfers are going to be harder during the transfer period. That is the only thing that would upset me about it. Hope not!

Last edited:
Been playign we9 since it came out and also the pes5 beta. Both great games, but the one thing that bothers me(well there is more but ill stick to this) is that goals seem to be far more random now then in previous versions.

Example 1: Im playing a counter and see that the left winger has space so pass a long cross field ball to him. He runs past a defender and sees a striker alone up front. I cross low to the striker, he collects the ball and shoots........wide.

Example 2: Im attacking and cross the ball into a crowded box, defender heads poorly, but another defender collects the ball and tries to pass it out. It comes to a midfielder of mine and he shoots and scores.

In the previous versions the first example would be rewarded with a goal and the second more likely to miss. With the 2 new versions (we9/pes5) it seems its the other way round with most of my goals being fortunate ones and the well thought out, good passing/movements ones being missed. Ive played this game since iss on the super nintende, the iss on the ps1 and all the pes versions with the last 2 we versions thrown in. Yet these games seem to be the only ones were i feel luck plays a bigger part in scoring then quality play. Or mayby im a crap finisher but all the others i completed on the highest level (unbeaten ML season on 6*) (nowedays i start on 5* as lower is to easy). Anyone else notice this?

tiktiktiktik said:
Been playign we9 since it came out and also the pes5 beta. Both great games, but the one thing that bothers me(well there is more but ill stick to this) is that goals seem to be far more random now then in previous versions.

Example 1: Im playing a counter and see that the left winger has space so pass a long cross field ball to him. He runs past a defender and sees a striker alone up front. I cross low to the striker, he collects the ball and shoots........wide.

Example 2: Im attacking and cross the ball into a crowded box, defender heads poorly, but another defender collects the ball and tries to pass it out. It comes to a midfielder of mine and he shoots and scores.

In the previous versions the first example would be rewarded with a goal and the second more likely to miss. With the 2 new versions (we9/pes5) it seems its the other way round with most of my goals being fortunate ones and the well thought out, good passing/movements ones being missed. Ive played this game since iss on the super nintende, the iss on the ps1 and all the pes versions with the last 2 we versions thrown in. Yet these games seem to be the only ones were i feel luck plays a bigger part in scoring then quality play. Or mayby im a crap finisher but all the others i completed on the highest level (unbeaten ML season on 6*) (nowedays i start on 5* as lower is to easy). Anyone else notice this?

I have seen a LOT of this happen in ML, and I believe this
is scripting at work. I've had 3 or 4 chances where my striker
faces an empty goal and put it wide. Initially I thought
it was bad luck, but now I realize it's just another "scripting"
thing added by Konami. Each of these times I will be just
tapping the button, not pressing it too much.

There is a lot of scripting...in the sense that if you play a
low cross in and your striker hits it first time, most of the time
it will be a goal if the goalie is guarding the goal.

Complaints? The same complaints I have had since PES1 that are still yet to be fixed. Like not being able to cut out high balls properly. Not being able to move my player in the right position 'cos of the limited controls. It's barely any better than WE8LE. It's ridiculous really. It's a good game no doubt, but I wouldn't give it anything over a 7/10 at the most.

Complaints? Just had a game in ML, which admittedly is where most of my complaints come from. I had 14 shots on goal, they had 2, both from free kicks, I lost 2-1. Fairly common at this point, 5*s. Only way they can win. Match started and I knew I'd lose. Alan Shearer trekked back and made a couple side line running tackles against Ronaldo. I see that all the time in real footie...

Back
Top Bottom