South American 10th Round

Bolivia 2-2 Uruguay
Paraguay 1-0 Peru
Chile 1-0 Argentina
Brazil 0-0 Colombia
Venezuela 3-1 Ecuador

tablamk5.jpg

Looked pretty close gerd.

I was "devastated" (in a manner of speaking), because our national team was splendid and Spain has really suffered.
They had only one attempt on goal in the second half: the 88th minute winning goal by Villa (which is class of course).
What makes it very hard is that a Fellaini goal (at 1-1) was disallowed for off-side...and that clearly wasn't an off-side goal...in the second half it looked as if there was only one team that would win that match...Belgium and then right at the end they loose it...it would have been a massive boost for our football.
We have lots of good young players (who are still making mistakes by a lack of experience...Spain's equaliser was a mistake by Fellaini, who otherwise played a fantastic match) and our team plays good football, but somehow things go wrong (bear also in mind that Dembelé, our player in form, injured himself at the warming-up...).
After Standard's (undeserved) elimination by Liverpool, this is another big deception for Belgian football...and we desperately need success, because our football is in crisis...

PS: Torres injured himself and had to leave the pitch immediately...he may be out for a while...

Yes Torres picks up yet another hamstring injury while playing for Spain :(

I hate internationals. Babel and Mascherano also unavaliable for a tough game against Wigan.

There's still a long way to go but it's encouraging to see how well the likes of Denmark, Hungary, Northern Ireland and Bosnia Herzegovina have been doing as of late. Although the result of the campaign thus far has to be Bolivia's 6-1 demolition of Argentina. Which is pretty hilarious considering Maradona campaigned for the Bolivians right to play at such a high altitude in La Paz.

There's still a long way to go but it's encouraging to see how well the likes of Denmark, Hungary, Northern Ireland and Bosnia Herzegovina have been doing as of late. Although the result of the campaign thus far has to be Bolivia's 6-1 demolition of Argentina. Which is pretty hilarious considering Maradona campaigned for the Bolivians right to play at such a high altitude in La Paz.

I can't say I didn't enjoy that. I didn't watch the Bolivia game and when I saw the result thought it was an April fool's day thing :LOL:

Maradona has not changed his mind just yet though. He remained coherent to his position and said nothing about the altitude. Instead, he admitted the Bolivians were superior and that was the most hilarious bit :LOL:

That is not hilarious rentboy, that is called fair play...contrary to your post.

And in my country we are less enthousiastic about Bosnia...

Bosnia thoroughly deserved their wins against belgium, ther eis nodoubt about that. But the first match could have gone the other way. Bosnia scored an early 0-1 and in the second half belgium equalised and was clearly the beter team when the Bosniac fans throw fireworks on the pitch...the match was interupted for 10 minutes and afterwards bosnia once again was the best team...this interuption clearly an advantage for Bosnia.

On the other hand a country that wants to organize a world cup should be able to prevent fans with fireworks in a football stadium...

Well at least the fact that this very talented team once again misses a major tournament has one major advantage, this very defensive coach will at last get the sack.

Last edited:
I think International football is quite poor right now. I dont think theres any outstanding teams like there were 5-10 years ago. Spain, Argentina, Germany and England(Yes there current form is as good as anyones) are probably the best 4 at the moment but all are pretty average on current form.

Obviously the first 2 have potentially got it to go into another gear in a tournament (like Spain did in the Euros) but teams like Brazil, Italy and France etc are pretty poor sides at the moment. Im not sure why this is but I think Club football is becoming far more important than playing for your country.

I disagree about Italy. We've won 4 and drawn 2, and played 87 minutes with 10 men last night. We win when it counts. Its still an important feeling and duty to play for the Italian national team.

I think the players now are more concerned with Club because they pay them....and it doesn't pay to play for your country. Many players don't see the honor and privilege of representing your country.

Thats why players like Beckham who chooses Country over Club is such a rarity.

But it has never been any different. The clubs were always the employers of the players.

Here's what I think is going on: Qualifiers. Simple as that.

Of course the players have more pressing matters on their minds right now. It's the decisive phase in all of the club competitions. They need to qualify, nothing more or less. Nobody cares if you won all matches 5:0 afterward, anyway. That, too, wasn't any different back in the days.

I can't believe we have managed to screw our chances so much. We are now 4 points behind Croatia. I think Turkey played well in both legs, but luck has a very important part in football as well.

I don't see why Terim is insisting on Emre. He was absent in both games. Also, Nihat ruined 2 100% chances. Very uncharacteristic of him but normal since he has been injured for a long time, and he is waaaaay out of form. But still doesn't make sense why Terim insisted on playing him for both legs.

I just hope we can make it to Africa. I don't want to see another WC without Turkey. We have so many young and talented players coming up, it would be a shame for us to miss out. But a tie with Estonia?! WTF!

I can't believe we have managed to screw our chances so much. We are now 4 points behind Croatia. I think Turkey played well in both legs, but luck has a very important part in football as well.

I don't see why Terim is insisting on Emre. He was absent in both games. Also, Nihat ruined 2 100% chances. Very uncharacteristic of him but normal since he has been injured for a long time, and he is waaaaay out of form. But still doesn't make sense why Terim insisted on playing him for both legs.

I just hope we can make it to Africa. I don't want to see another WC without Turkey. We have so many young and talented players coming up, it would be a shame for us to miss out. But a tie with Estonia?! WTF!

Croatia ??
:?

That is not hilarious rentboy, that is called fair play...contrary to your post.

And in my country we are less enthousiastic about Bosnia...

Bosnia thoroughly deserved their wins against belgium, ther eis nodoubt about that. But the first match could have gone the other way. Bosnia scored an early 0-1 and in the second half belgium equalised and was clearly the beter team when the Bosniac fans throw fireworks on the pitch...the match was interupted for 10 minutes and afterwards bosnia once again was the best team...this interuption clearly an advantage for Bosnia.

On the other hand a country that wants to organize a world cup should be able to prevent fans with fireworks in a football stadium...

Well at least the fact that this very talented team once again misses a major tournament has one major advantage, this very defensive coach will at last get the sack.

Fair play eh? It's so convenient for Maradona to sustain his opinion on altitude when he won't need to swallow his pride and change his mind about that.

Instead, he brings the all pressure over his players. Messi and others said that altitude played a big part. Of course it did, the Argentines arrived in La Paz only 2 hours before the match! I'd say he's not being fair with his own players.

So Maradona saying that an amateur match with the president of Bolivia and a bunch of friends is the same thing as a World Cup Qualifier, and getting hammered 6-1? That is indeed fuckin H I L A R I O U S.

And I don't know about Belgium and Bosnia, I've not been following. But fireworks on the field is hardly playing at 3.600 meters above sea level, is it?

No, I think I did Gerd. Regarding Argentina, I agree it is fairplay to admit when the other side was superior. But when Maradona sustains that altitude had nothing to do with it, he is throwing his players in the fire.

Let's face it, Argentina would never be defeated by that team in normal conditions.

Anyways, lets just leave it at that.

Well probably true; Bolivia's results:

Home: 6-1 4-2 3-0 2-2 0-0 0-2 so 3-2-1 (15-7)(Argentina and Paraguay beaten! :)) )
Away: 0-5 3-5 0-3 1-3 0-2 0-0, so 0-1-5 (4-18 !)

Well probably true; Bolivia's results:

Home: 6-1 4-2 3-0 2-2 0-0 0-2 so 3-2-1 (15-7)(Argentina and Paraguay beaten! :)) )
Away: 0-5 3-5 0-3 1-3 0-2 0-0, so 0-1-5 (4-18 !)

Exactly! And if Brazil keeps playing with the same "heart" as we've been seeing lately, we could be trashed there as well...

The sooner Maradona is removed the better.

His insistence that Heinze and Papa are up to standard internationally is a joke.

When you have great young defenders in the wings its makes no sense not to play them, Garay, Gonzalo Fazio and Forlin.

Defences win WCs nowadays Diego. No matter what the little genius can do upfront by himself.

The altitude was a factor. Masche was sucking in air after an hour and the Argentine game relies on movement off the ball.There was hardly any.

The last goal at normal altitude Carizzo would have saved but at that altitude shots are faster and it was beyond him. Pekerman managed to win there in 2005 with a reserve side.

Says it all about Diego. Greatest player of all time.Yes. Manager useless.

Plus di Maria decided to get himself deservedly sent off. And witness Brazil in Ecuador. But for the keeper and some awful finishing from Benitez that too could have ended up 5-1.

I expect Ramon Diaz to come in and manage the national team at some stage soon. It could be under the guise of "helping" D10s, but I think he could even step down and be replaced by Diaz.

I am surprised with the Czechs the most of any team. I have come to not expect anything from them anymore. Sort of like the Australian shaman curse.

I expect Ramon Diaz to come in and manage the national team at some stage soon. It could be under the guise of "helping" D10s, but I think he could even step down and be replaced by Diaz.

If he cocks it up in Colombia which is a distinct possibility then he must be removed.

Grondona will say you all wanted him . I gave him to you etc etc which is a lie ,as most Argentines who know their football wanted Bianchi .

The press were quiet too. No attacks from Clarin .Any other manager would have been chased until they quit.

The idol is untouchable but has feet of clay. :TD:

I cannot see Argentina despite all the exciting talent upfront (Higuain and Cavegol still not selected ),in the midfield (no sign of Aimar or Cuchu or Valeri) and great young defenders (Garay and Gonzalo (Diego has never heard of them)and this Forlin looks the business) and some of the best keepers in a while ie Romero at AZ and Carizzo (minus his dribbles) will struggle to get past the round of 16.

It will be 2002 all over again. :FAIL:

The AFA are inept. This is the organization that failed to send the team to Brazil in 1950 when they could still have fielded the likes of Labruna and di Stefano and the maquina system could well have produced a WC triumph.

Sorry, thought this would be the best place to put this question.

Does anyone know when the WC finals tournie actually starts next year? Is it early June?

FD

Cheers mate, it's just that I plan to go around the start of the world cup on holiday (like watching games when on hols). So if I get a date to aim for can plan from there.

FD

Back
Top Bottom