UEFA Champions League 07/08: Group Stages

no you can say barca is a candidate of winning the title but its clear that after ranger losing you chose an early winner which is no suprise Barca :8):

Indeed. Because tonight they were at their best. They could have ripped us apart if they wanted to. They can rip anyone apart. Credit to our 'keeper and 'weak' defence for only conceding the two goals. :8):

Fenerbahçe 2-0 PSV Eindhoven

Fenerbahçe flourish with first-half flurry

Two goals in three first-half minutes took Fenerbahçe SK within sight of a place in the UEFA Champions League knockout rounds for the first time as they moved four points clear of PSV Eindhoven in Group G.
Four-point gap
Kazım Kazım's shot was turned into his own net by PSV defender Dirk Marcellis on 28 minutes, and Semih Şentürk swiftly finished off a fine move to seriously dent the hopes of their Dutch rivals. A win at FC Internazionale Milano or at home to PFC CSKA Moskva would be enough for Fenerbahçe to banish memories of four group-stage exits.

Fan factor
The Fenerbahçe fans relished their usual noisy pre-game warm-up, and the home players were suitably inspired as they started the brighter, hoping for a repeat of the performance which defeated Inter on Matchday 1. However, PSV caretaker coach Jan Wouters had stated that his team's first task was to silence the crowd, and they were certainly blunting Fenerbahçe's forward moves. Roberto Carlos waited 23 minutes to take a free-kick, but when he did his low effort zipped just past the post.

Quickfire goals
All PSV's good work was undone in a two-minute spell leading up to the half-hour. First Semih and Alex worked the ball right to Kazım Kazım, and the English-born forward's shot from the corner of the penalty area deflected in off Marcellis. The celebrations went up a notch two minutes later as a fine exchange of passes with Alex set up Semih to break into the box and shoot past Heurelho Gomes.

Alex effort
It was a fine reward for some hard work by the striker, leading the line in the absence of perhaps Fenerbahçe's star man of the campaign so far, Deivid, suspended along with Lugano and PSV's Eric Addo following the goalless draw in Eindhoven a fortnight ago. Still the attacks came as Alex chipped just over, although at the other end Timmy Simons got on the end of a free-kick and forced Volkan Demirel to save.

Gomes saves
Wouters sent on Mike Zonneveld for Jan Kromkamp at half-time in a defensive reshuffle, but Fenerbahçe were not about to give up the initiative. After a one-touch passing move akin to those that made the first two goals, Kazım Kazım produced another fine angled effort that Gomes was able to parry, and the goalkeeper then smothered Mehmet Aurélio's follow-up.

Close again
Alex, as always, was the fulcrum of Fenerbahçe's forward moves and a curling free-kick just past the hour drew another save from Gomes. PSV, with Danny Koevermans now added to the attack, were not giving up, but nor were they really troubling the home defence. Semih's menace had not diminished, though, forcing a flying Gomes stop and from the resulting corner Alex headed over.

Omens
A Gökçek Vederson effort flew past the far post, but Fenerbahçe's job was done. The two previous occasions PSV have come to Fenerbahçe in the European Champion Clubs' Cup, the home team have won but not gone through. On this evidence, that could be another run coming to an end.

KonuOku.aspx

2007-11-07_psv2.jpg

2007-11-07_psv3.jpg

2007-11-07_psv4.jpg

2007-11-07_psv5.jpg

Last edited:
Did he played for Dutch national team?
never , he was already moroccan international before even going to netherland . I tell you he played in U20 world cup with morocco and went to netherland 2 years later for the first time .

We didn't deserve to lose but it changes nothing for Marseille. We still have to do a great game against Liverpool. And with a bigger motivation now. I just hope Porto won't lose its last game.

And great crowd in Istanbul ;).

Last edited:
We didn't deserve to lose but it changes nothing for Marseille. We still have to do a great game against Liverpool. And with a bigger motivation now. I just hope Porto won't lose its last game.

And great crowd in Istanbul ;).

why not? if you win your game and we win in porto then both teams are in the next round. :)

that was not one of the best performances but we needed this win, the porto match will be like a final.. and i doubt our chances.. but everything can happen in football, right?

We were awesome tonight. It's a shame this wasn't enough to guarantee us a victory. There were so many clear chances for us that it's still hard to believe the final result was 1-1. Milan were better than us during the first quarter of hour, but from then on we dominated the game. They were awful when it came to defending, hence the abnormal amount of shots at goal we had, but the truth is that we wasted way too many clear chances.

Well, the truth is that our future wasn't going to be decided by this match. We can only blame the 1-0 losses against Shakthar and Celtic. Those were the matches that costed us this year's Champions League. I just can't understand why we didn't play the same we played tonight back then.

Anyway, even though it's impossible for us to go through the group stage, we still have good possibilities to join Sporting in the UEFA Cup thanks to the late goal Donati scored tonight. All we have to do is to beat Shakhtar in two weeks. It won't be easy, but we'll have nothing to lose.

As I said a few weeks ago, Celtic are the team I'll be suporting from now on. Actually, Celtic and Porto if they don't screw things up in the next fixture... O.o

Speaking of Porto, I still can't believe how come conceded three goals in roughly 10 minutes.

I'm off to watch tonight's highlights.

Damm... we are the team with most oportunity of goal and playing with a young players and I can't believe that we couldn't beat Milan at home!

By the way I still proud of my team, I'm sure my team can do much better next year, peharps if we mantain the same players and the same manager I believe that we'll make a better CL season than 05/06 with Ronald Koeman.

It's so unfair, I hope we could qualify to the UEFA Cup and show some quality attacking football.

:cry:

Good luck Benfica, all of Celtic are shouting you on. :applause:

Honestly think your a better team than them, they seemed long ball merchants and do a lot of play acting.

Great result for Celtic after a dodgy start. We didn't play well although did dominate the match and missed 3 absolute sitters. One of the few games I can remember where I wasn't biting my nails at the other team attacking as they never did.

FD

I can't ignore the success of our neighbour's CL team, Olympiakos
I really appreciate their away match performances, they defend their own goal great and attack the opposition well
Hope they can qualify

Great to get through again considering the tough group.

Did think Benfica could do it, as what I saw of Donetsk I did feel Benfica where the better team. Some goal from Cardozo with the header.

FD

Well at last we are in the UEFA CUP...

Shakhtar Donetsk's coach Mircea Lucescu said "Benfica showed us how to play in the Champions League tonight." and then "If the Champions League started today [yesterday] I'm sure Benfica would be qualified to the First Knockout Round."

Well at last we are in the UEFA CUP...

Shakhtar Donetsk's coach Mircea Lucescu said "Benfica showed us how to play in the Champions League tonight." and then "If the Champions League started today [yesterday] I'm sure Benfica would be qualified to the First Knockout Round."

True. The 1st game with Milan we weren't the Team we are now.

What a shame for OM !!!!
Worst game this season by far ! why versus Liverpool ????
Torres is like a crazy dog vs playmobil

Marseille's technical level is sh*te. Liverpool has an amazing passing system that destroys us. There's not a lot of english players but this team is excellent ;).

But 3rd place is good.

Well chuffed with that. Cracking result.

Torres is playing with such joy. He's really making the most of his dream to play in the CL!

Great possesion football from Marseille but no real cutting edge. Carra and Hyypia imperious. Held a great line, great positioning.

Mascherano doing what he usually does. Kewell very impressive. Kuyt getting back to his best.

Back
Top Bottom