UEFA Champions League 07/08: Group Stages

UEFA investigate Celtic case

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Celtic FC following Wednesday's UEFA Champions League Group D match against AC Milan in Glasgow.

Thursday hearing
The Scottish club will have to answer charges of lack of organisation and improper conduct of supporters (Articles 6 and 11c of the UEFA disciplinary regulations). The Control and Disciplinary Body will deal with this case at its next plenary meeting on 11 October. In addition, UEFA is seeking clarification from AC Milan on the reason for the substitution of their goalkeeper Dida following Celtic's second goal in the match, which Celtic won 2-1.

:lol:

Looks like both clubs could be in trouble.

I really hope Dida gets disqualified. What he did is worse than diving!

LYON captain Juninho will escape punishment by UEFA for his blatant dive in last Tuesday's remarkable Champions League match - because it did not have a serious effect on the match.

The Brazilian midfielder conned Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo at a crucial stage in the game when he dived as Davie Weir went to challenge him just outside the box in first half injury time.

Ovrebo not only awarded a free kick, he issued a yellow card to Weir. Juninho then took the free kick and came within inches of levelling the match as his shot hit the underside of the bar.

UEFA have insisted that they are trying to eradicate "simulation" from the game but they have told rangers.co.uk today that they will only take action in a more serious situation - ie when a penalty is awarded as a result of deception.

This happened recently, of course, with the two-match suspension handed out to Hearts player Saulius Mikoliunas for his blatant dive to earn Lithuania a penalty - which they scored - in the 3-1 Euro 2008 defeat by Scotland.

Weir has no avenue of appeal against his caution - even although it has been proved to have been issued as a result of deception - but he had the last laugh as Rangers humbled the French side with their historic 3-0 victory.

A UEFA spokesman told rangers.co.uk today: "There will be no case according to a preliminary analysis by a Disciplinary Inspector.

"The player's action did not detoriate the regularity of the match as it resulted in a yellow card, which cannot be protested against, as well as a free-kick. Only serious acts of deceiving the referee are prosecuted such as diving resulting in a penalty."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is annoying and a poor descision from UEFA. Basically, diving will only be punished if the score is changed. It also means David Weir's booking will stand as a result of the blatant dive which is entirely unfair and could cost Rangers later on.

Well done Fenerbahce. :applause:

They're playing marvellous at these days. Looks like they'll qualify the second stage if they keep their performace like that.

Well, Champions League over for Liverpool now IMO. We deserve it too with the kind of football we are playing.

Cardozoooooooooooooooooooo!

We just scored but fuck, I'm streaming the match so I checked the Uefa site to see Porto's match result and then read Cardozo had scored. That was 5 seconds before he "actually" did. It really ruined the whole feeling. :cry:

Robinho turned it on in the 2nd half of the 2nd half, if only he'd play like that every week.

Cardozoooooooooooooooooooo!

We just scored but fuck, I'm streaming the match so I checked the Uefa site to see Porto's match result and then read Cardozo had scored. That was 5 seconds before he "actually" did. It really ruined the whole feeling. :cry:

Gutted but at least you scored. :D

Hell yeah, it was amazing though. We missed so many clear chances it was unbelievable. Celtic barely had the ball in the second half. :)

We still have a chance to go through, woo hoo! :p

Besiktas JK 2 - 1 Liverpool FC :applause:

Well done Besiktas. They didnt play very well but supporters were great tonight and they made a high pressure on Liverpool and then they took 3 points. Lets see what'll happen at Anfield Road.

Good result for Marseille. We did not well in first half when Porto was way better but then we managed to keep the ball more often and scored with a bit of luck. I'm not so sure Mandanda touches Lisandro on the penalty. But Porto is nice to watch with a great passing from the midfielders.

Thank Godness...

CARDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZO! :cry:

What a hell of a match, Cardozo, Di Maria, Freddy Adu, Rodriguez and Rui Costa trying to scoring goals and that "dick head" (with all respect!) Boruc defended everything and doing some impossible saves. :shock:

Great football match and amazing atmosphere, Celtic fans always perfect and gentleman as ever! :applause:

DSC00203.JPG

What a night last night! Heroic backs-to-the-wall performance from Rangers. The Barca fans gave us a nice applause after the final whistle too. :applause:

My god...Kaka can dismantle any defense he wants with the ball. Very unlucky night for him for not scoring.... considering he just came back from injury.

I've just watched the highlights of Milan vs Shakhtar. Oh God, Kaká was stunning. It's impressive how well he played and yet how unlucky he was. He could have easily scored a few goals if he had had a bit of luck.

Anyway, from what I could see, Milan played really well. I loved the constant high pace and quick counter attacks (the one Kaká somehow managed to miss was amazing). Seedorf's second goal was a cracker as well, great shot.

I'm not looking forward to play you guys again. :|

Hail Hail the holy goalie another terrific performance, we can be quite happy with our performance overall. McGeady had his best game, Naylor was good, Brown was good, Hartley was good, we created a few decent chances. If we had had a more attacking mentality I reckon we would have pushed Benfica back and possibly scored.

Gutted at the result but Benfica had three great chances before that, hitting the post, bar and Boruc's phenomenal save, but we had some good chances ourselves and with McGeady I always thought we could do something. He needs to do this more, in the SPL its fine beating 3 or 4 players but theres less space and he usually just runs into another crowd but in the Champions League he has so much space to just run at people. I think it helped that he was on the right.

I fear we are up against it now, we have to win our home games and hope Milan don't lose to Shakthar away, meaning we will need to draw/win at the San Siro in the last game. Something we have done before, and hopefully Milan will have qualified by then and won't need the points.:D However theres still the grudge match after that cunt Dida...

Foxtrot, good performance by the Rangers...
What i wonder about that photo you showed, the other side of the stadium made the year "1972"...why???
Was this the year Rangers won ECII???

Foxtrot, good performance by the Rangers...
What i wonder about that photo you showed, the other side of the stadium made the year "1972"...why???
Was this the year Rangers won ECII???

Yeah. We won the ECWC in Barcelona back in 1972. Before my time :mryellow:

The trophy had to be presented in the dressing room after the final whistle. Rangers fans and locals rioted againt Franco's fascist police regime and the players had to go inside. The locals must have liked it as they welcomed Rangers back the next season for a pre-season tournament. :)

Benfica vs Celtic.

Half time.

It's been a really balanced match. One deflected shot and Celtic are on the lead.

We're so unlucky. :cry:

Great game celtic v benfica so far, very open, benfica looking the more dangerous on the ball, but celtic still creating chances and got lucky with Aiden's shot but they all count

Back
Top Bottom