The "Should FreMM get a 360" thread

Should Fre buy a 360?

• Total voters
While I'm here, three things the new 360 owners club could do with knowing. Jumberto, FreMM and winston, listen up.

Most importantly, make sure your NAT is okay. When you connect to Xbox Live, go to the last tab (or "Blade"), go to Network Settings and run the first test in the list. This will do various things, but what's most important is the last bit. The NAT bit needs to say "Open" or you will encounter lots of disconnection problems when trying to play online.

The way to fix this is usually to open the router settings and make the Xbox Live ports open to your 360 (CLICK HERE FOR 360 PORT INFO), or if this doesn't work, to set your Xbox 360's IP as a DMZ (in other words, all traffic will be allowed in and out of the console without being interfered with). If you don't know how to do this on your router, don't ask, because there's a million different routers with a million different setups. Use PORTFORWARD.COM, find your router in that list, and hopefully the rest should be self-explanatory.

There are of course some other things that can cause a wonky NAT depending on your router (for example, I have to set manual DNS server addresses on my 360 but automatic IP addresses or otherwise my router restricts it's access - I have no idea why but I have a crappy router forced on me by my new ISP). But the above two fixes solve NAT issues 99% of the time.

Secondly, when you're asked what "gamerzone" to pick, if I were you, I wouldn't pick "Pro" or "Underground". This is what the kids pick, which means when you're online the pool of players you will be drawn against will include masses of 10-year-olds who like to shout "GAY" and demonstrate their knowledge of racist remarks. "Recreation," whilst the most boring-sounding of the lot, contains less kids. Unless you're jaygrim, that can only be a good thing.

Finally, if you want the best video quality, buy a HDMI cable. If you don't have a HDMI port, or you're using it for something else (mine is being used for the PS3), buy the official VGA cable - and I can't stress "official" enough, I bought two non-official ones and both produced ghosting, the official VGA cable produces a fantastic picture. The component cable, official or otherwise, provides a blurrier picture than you can get through the VGA cable. Massive difference on most TVs I've connected 360s up to (Toshibas and Samsungs mostly) - with the component cable everyone looks like they're made of fluff, with a blurry edge to them, but with the VGA cable it's pin-sharp. Even better than HDMI on some TVs.

"Better than HDMI? Jack Bauer you're a crazy fool, I pity you." No word of a lie, but it depends on the TV. If your TV can cope with a 1080p picture signal, then you're a lucky bastard and I hate you. HDMI will look great through that. But, I have a Samsung LE26R74BDX, which is less than two years old. Via HDMI it can only produce a 1080i picture, and having bought a newer-model 360 last year purely to use a HDMI cable, I was shocked to see that the picture quality was actually slightly worse via HDMI. With a VGA cable (the TV can produce a 1360x768 picture via VGA, some can produce higher), the picture is pin-sharp. Via HDMI, the picture is ever-so-slightly softer. It may not be common, but it is certainly the case with my Samsung.

See you online soon, don't forget to sign up to the FIFA league. ;)

Last edited:
Jack, thanks for taking the time to type up all that information and advice. I don't think I'll bother buying one :LOL: (joking).

Seriously, I'll probably pay a visit to a few of the stores around town during the next week or two and see what sort of deal I can find. My usual on-line shops don't appear to be offering anything cheaper than just going into Comet or Curry's. I might wait for Euro08 to come out and see if I can get it in a bundle.

Hopefully, within the next few of weeks, I'll get online for some matches with all you diamond geezers.

With a VGA cable (the TV can produce a 1360x768 picture via VGA, some can produce higher), the picture is pin-sharp. Via HDMI, the picture is ever-so-slightly softer. It may not be common, but it is certainly the case with my Samsung.

It may be obvious but just thought of a reason for that to happen. Via hdmi you either have 720 (1280x720) or 1080 (1920x1080) which means that you cant get the box to output the native resolution of the hd ready tv (1360x768) via hdmi. Which means the 1280x720 needs to be scaled by the tv which leads to the softer edges.

Oh, and I would get a 360............and I'll offer you 190e for your ps3. I'll even drive down to pick it up! ;)

It may be obvious but just thought of a reason for that to happen. Via hdmi you either have 720 (1280x720) or 1080 (1920x1080) which means that you cant get the box to output the native resolution of the hd ready tv (1360x768) via hdmi. Which means the 1280x720 needs to be scaled by the tv which leads to the softer edges.
I knew there was a technical reason but I'd forgotten what it was - cheers for that. :thumbup:

Again, they shouldn't have year-old stock. Google "pro 360" and everything says they have HDMI ports now.

Reserve it, go and get it, but look at the back of the box and the side of the box before you pay. It will have the HDMI logo on the box if it has a HDMI port. If it doesn't, just tell them you're not paying for year-old stock and that you're shocked. But if it's called a "Pro" then it will have the HDMI, as that's the new name for the new 360s apparently.

See this from Amazon.com:

What's in the Box?

* Xbox 360 Pro console
* 20GB detachable hard drive
* Wireless controller
* Xbox Live headset
* High-definition AV cable
* Ethernet cable
* Detachable faceplate
* Xbox Live Silver membership
* HDMI port

Last edited:
What are the best games out now and in the near future for the 360?
Out now:
FIFA 08 - great game
Virtua Tennis 3 - great but ridiculously hard
Table Tennis - immense fun and cheap too
Gears Of War - incredibly atmospheric
Mass Effect - very deep game
Bioshock - eerie and funny at the same time
Call of Duty 4 - great online run-and-gun shooter, great offline too

In the future:
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (20th March) - great online tactical shooter where you must work as a team, very difficult to master
Unreal III (28th March) - mental online shooter, if you're into Unreal
Dark Sector (4th April) - is supposed to be great
Euro 2008 (18th April) - from what they say it's an improved FIFA 08 which can only be a great game
GTA IV (29th April) - no blurb neccessary
WSC Real 08 (2nd May) - snooker game with all official tournaments, love it
Too Human (9th May) - looks superb
Top Spin 3 (23rd May) - more serious tennis game, can't wait
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction (30th May) - sounds good
Alone In The Dark (30th May) - people are raving about this

And these are only the MUST-HAVES - games like Army Of Two are great as well (out now), and Battlefield Bad Company looks amazing (yet to be given a release date).

The cross-format titles I will always buy on 360 due to achievements, which makes you feel like you've earnt something when you've played a game, the friends features, I can press the middle button and send messages rather than having to quit the game every time, the amount of people you can play with, I know 100 people with a 360, and the pad, which is a lot better than the PS3 pad IMO.

Last edited:
Ok, this is gonna be hell...I have no more money left, just bought new soccer boots and have to pay a HUGE fine for speeding. However, I still want that 360 so so bad...What to do now? Anybody want a kidney?

Ok, Finally considering getting one but is there anyway to get online with a wireless connection as my modem won't be able to plug into the 360, also when is the Xbox 3/720 gonna come out, i don't want to buy this and then boom 2009 the new one comes out.

You can get online with the official 360 wireless adapter, around £50. There's no new 360 around the corner, or at least it hasn't been announced yet. I doubt there will be a new one any time soon, there's still a lot of games to come for the current one.

Secondly, when you're asked what "gamerzone" to pick, if I were you, I wouldn't pick "Pro" or "Underground". This is what the kids pick, which means when you're online the pool of players you will be drawn against will include masses of 10-year-olds who like to shout "GAY" and demonstrate their knowledge of racist remarks. "Recreation," whilst the most boring-sounding of the lot, contains less kids. Unless you're jaygrim, that can only be a good thing.

I never knew that had a say with who you meet on Xbox Live?! I have just changed mine to "recreation". Thanks for the info Jack! :)

EDIT: Jack, that VGA cable you're on about - REAL silly question but it's not the one that comes bundled with the premium 360 is it? Because if it's not, I will get one myself!

Last edited:
Nope, the one that comes bundled with the Premium 360 is a component cable if I remember rightly (five seperate coloured plugs).

You can get online with the official 360 wireless adapter, around £50. There's no new 360 around the corner, or at least it hasn't been announced yet. I doubt there will be a new one any time soon, there's still a lot of games to come for the current one.

You mean that the 360 isn't, by default, wireless enabled? :((

That, along with having to pay to play on-line....my enthusiasm for getting one is dwindling.

Nope, the one that comes bundled with the Premium 360 is a component cable if I remember rightly (five seperate coloured plugs).

Where would you suggest me buying one from mate? There is one on ebay for five quid but it looks fake to me:

88a5_2.JPG

One on the official MS site:

packagingxbox360VGAHDcable.jpg

Back
Top Bottom