The Retro-PES Corner

Remastered @wildwind , well said. World of Warcraft or Homeworld, which was remastered in digital graphics a couple of years ago to lead up the launch of a long awaited sequel.

And in addition to remastered and @mattmid 's idea of a super combination of
PES 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Finally, what about remastered, super combined and Master League expansion project. (I have said this before I admit).

Imagine starting a Master League campaign at Tier 11 of a Master League pyramid with the default squad dudes and transfers being impossible for at least three promotions due to two shillings being the ML points for a game win in non-league amateur football.

:BOUNCE::BOUNCE::BOUNCE:

@WhoAteMeDinner That would be a brilliant thing to do and the sort of things games in the past might well have come up with. No, we can't do it by half, it's 11 or nothing :LOL:

A complete football world and you start on the bottom rung with an even lower level of ML defaults. Some who can barely tie their own shoe laces, have beer bellies and an eye for the ladies rather than a goal.

@mattmid , Goddamnit matters mate, mind reading me again. It is getting creepy.:CONFUSE:

Was just thinking you probably could not expect to have players of the quality and good stats of Macco, Espinas or Burchet down at non-league tier eleven. Dial the stats back to maybe 50 to 60 range for all player stats and passing the ball in a light rain shower is impossible, just like PES 2.

The eye for the ladies thing never struck the Dinner as a negative mind you......

:D:D:D

I've got spreadsheets, flow diagrams and text documents planning out just such a game. 11th tier, simplified club business management and finances, stadium expansion with builder, complete youth system, transfers based on manager/club ethos, random events to mix things up etc. etc. etc.

Gameplay would be Sensi Soccer with better heading, tackling and short passing with a slower pace. Maybe 360 degree rather than 8 way and a stats system which affects manual, analogue inputs.

I could keep going, but I'm just torturing myself.

Well, that's true, but when you're getting relegated from D10 and your main striker's scored more off the field than on it that season it might be, even if it's not for him. :D

And isn't just that which has been missing from even our beloved Retro-PES games. You could finish bottom of Division 2 season after season with no penalty. Relegation is what gives football an edge.

Castolo, I can imagine would be a "prolific scorer in the wrong league."

;););)

I've got spreadsheets, flow diagrams and text documents planning out just such a game. 11th tier, simplified club business management and finances, stadium expansion with builder, complete youth system, transfers based on manager/club ethos, random events to mix things up etc. etc. etc.

Gameplay would be Sensi Soccer with better heading, tackling and short passing with a slower pace. Maybe 360 degree rather than 8 way and a stats system which affects manual, analogue inputs.

I could keep going, but I'm just torturing myself.

@sniglet , you are torturing nobody mate.
Just think what could be included in a game universe if all the My Club / FUT / Social media / Team Talk tosh from the modern games was dumped and the space it would leave. No more game coins either, only finances would be Master League points to pay wages, buy players, build a new stand.

The idea of random events, (remember those in games like Sim City or Tropico), is brilliant.

You could have dodgy builders ripping you off or a troublesome WAG making your star striker shoot blanks and the ever present threat of a nasty club chairman replacing you with the "full Big Sam management set-up."

The possibilities are boundless.......

True story: I was never that faithful to Castello/Castolo.

If you were to wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me to rattle off a ML team it'd be (4-2-1-3):

Ivanov; Valery, Vorlander, Daric, Eddington; Cellini, Iorga; Miranda; Baroja, Ximenes...

At it was over to Castello to oust Matt to the right wing spot. Burchet if he was a good boy, on red.

I'm not quite sure why, as I am (and was) aware that he was the best player. Maybe the young me was unknowingly prejudice against non-Europeans.

True story: I was never that faithful to Castello/Castolo.

If you were to wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me to rattle off a ML team it'd be (4-2-1-3):

Ivanov; Valery, Vorlander, Daric, Eddington; Cellini, Iorga; Miranda; Baroja, Ximenes...

At it was over to Castello to oust Matt to the right wing spot. Burchet if he was a good boy, on red.

I'm not quite sure why, as I am (and was) aware that he was the best player. Maybe the young me was unknowingly prejudice against non-Europeans.

Nah Flipper, I was exactly the same, more in PES 2 where Castolo was very unreliable. He was much more threatening in PES 3. The ball physics again put fizz even on his shots.

@slamsoze , me old pal, any thoughts ?

Hardly enough time to catch up with forum reading these weeks. My schedules goes against me by any possible way.
Just a small thought. I used always to hope that, either KONAMI will make a game with a structure you described, a fully editable deep league structure with many divisions filled with generic players, Player01, Player02 etc, able to be heavy edited, OR the modding guys, after 13 years since PES6 was released, would be at a level, given the technology and applications leap, where they would have broken down the pes code to pieces, so we would be able to add as many teams as we like, or add extra divisions in ML etc, etc.
After checking the e-sports focusbof the modrrn pes, i stopped hoping on KONAMI. I only hope on modding guys. The problem is that after so mamy years and it is standard the addons we can have through kitserver, like balls, kits, stadium but not clcore things like extra leagues or divisions. While i do not know much about programming or creating mods, i believe that if it was possible, it would be invented by now.
But i still have a little bit hope on this.Like the GameBoy Advanced roms that were decrypted to their smallest piece and there was created modded games to a level, that they were closely new games. Of course a ps2 game code is not as simple as a GBA, but i hope ot will be in the future.

For whatever reason Castolo has never been a good player for me. The last ML I did which I posted up here Hamsun became the poster boy of the team. I played him early in the first season and he just kept getting better and better. He was like a one man battering ram up top, while Ordaz despite his better stats was the support act. In season 5 Macco suddenly emerged into an unstoppable goal machine as well for a season or two. Even Ruskin got in on the act in a LW role for a while.

@sniglet Sounds great! I always found sensible soccer way too fast. I really enjoyed it at the time but I never did very well at it because of how fast it was. At the time I preferred GOAL! on the Amiga.

In a small way it's kind of what we're attempting with our manager league idea. It's going to be sort of like a manual ML. There's going to be player growth and decline all linked to performances and age etc. Sort of a hybrid of the play by email football games but played out in PES with players evolving, fading and retiring. 8 team leagues with Promotion and Relegation if we can get enough players involved.

I was just thinking that FM for me has gone in a similar way to PES. In attempting to replicate football precisely it's lost the essence that made it what it was. It's become so in depth and so long winded that it actually is like having a full time job now instead of playing the game. The early versions were so much more enjoyable. I remember playing the first one I think 93/94 or maybe it was 92/93? Anyway for whatever reason I took the job at Wycombe Wanderers and stayed there 26 years taking them to the Premier. All that time ago but I still remember I had this striker called Holden and he scored 280 goals for the club over his career. He played about 16 seasons.

The last FM I really played for any length was 2012. I've tried demos since and had 2014 and it just doesn't seem to engage me any more.

For whatever reason Castolo has never been a good player for me. The last ML I did which I posted up here Hamsun became the poster boy of the team. I played him early in the first season and he just kept getting better and better. He was like a one man battering ram up top, while Ordaz despite his better stats was the support act. In season 5 Macco suddenly emerged into an unstoppable goal machine as well for a season or two. Even Ruskin got in on the act in a LW role for a while.

@sniglet Sounds great! I always found sensible soccer way too fast. I really enjoyed it at the time but I never did very well at it because of how fast it was. At the time I preferred GOAL! on the Amiga.

In a small way it's kind of what we're attempting with our manager league idea. It's going to be sort of like a manual ML. There's going to be player growth and decline all linked to performances and age etc. Sort of a hybrid of the play by email football games but played out in PES with players evolving, fading and retiring. 8 team leagues with Promotion and Relegation if we can get enough players involved.

I still go through phases of swos, generally as Cambridge United (Carlo Corazzin has always been a legend for me in swos), take them to the European Cup and then quit cold turkey for another couple of years.

It’s fast, but ridiculously direct in its controls and despite short passing not being great you can put some fun moves together. The curling/power system for long passes/shots is my favourite thing in any game tbh! Slowing it down and the players having a bit more intelligence would be a really interesting gameplay experience.

Football Manager introduced a simplified mode which harked back to the older games, but it still couldn’t draw me back in. Just don’t find it as fun as I used to, and I have less time to devote to games.

Hopefully the manager league kicks off so we can have at least a d1 and d2 of 8 teams. 14 games per season sounds perfect.

@sniglet That curling (after touch I seem to remember it was called?) was great, it was in Goal as well. I used to play Goal a lot with my brother and I hit the post so many times he started to call me Chippy. :LOL: Yeah I really did like Swos and as you say if they could have just slowed it down a bit it could have made it even better, it was just 100 miles an hour, you'd make a mistake and the ball was in the back of your net a second later!

It was when the team talks were brought in that started killing it for me as well, it became a game of guess the right thing to say and they'll suddenly play brilliantly, get it wrong and you have no chance. It seemed to have way too much of an affect on the match. Now there's even a twitter part in it where 'fans' comment. As if knee jerk twitter reactions aren't bad enough in the real world.

Yeah we're thinking of making 2 Divs anyway and start some teams off as AI controlled. There's a lot of really good youth teams in the file that could be added to Div 2 under AI control until someone takes them on like Ajax, Monaco etc.

Yes I think 14 games is the ideal number. Long enough to make it have lots of twists and turns and drama but snappy enough to get through the seasons nice and regularly. We will of course need money from you lot to buy the exclusive licenses :LMAO::COAT:

Oh yeah and did you want to take Germany on? We can't have the AI winning this thing! Although it may be nailed on for @jihado86 's China anyway!:CONFUSE::D

FM is going the wrong direction as PES. Each year, they add layer of layer of unrelated/minor stuff on top of the core game. Make it so complicated and waste hugh amount of our valuable time to due with the team talk, social media, team dynamic. I don't think any newcomer can start a new career successful if they didn't play FM before. Now, you really don't know which decision you made in order to keep the team win a football match.

With our limited time to devote to game now. The simplified manager league WYL is perfect for us and really looking forward to the season start.

Totally agree on league size of 8 to play 14 game a season. Can we all start from Div 2 and let AI team in Div 1?

Don't worry @mattmid AI Germany can't beat our beloved China.

Each manager propose a AI team to join Div 1. It can any good team or their real life rival, i.e. Arsenal, City, Dortmund. It may make our 2-tier league very interesting

@sniglet That curling (after touch I seem to remember it was called?) was great, it was in Goal as well. I used to play Goal a lot with my brother and I hit the post so many times he started to call me Chippy. :LOL: Yeah I really did like Swos and as you say if they could have just slowed it down a bit it could have made it even better, it was just 100 miles an hour, you'd make a mistake and the ball was in the back of your net a second later!

It was when the team talks were brought in that started killing it for me as well, it became a game of guess the right thing to say and they'll suddenly play brilliantly, get it wrong and you have no chance. It seemed to have way too much of an affect on the match. Now there's even a twitter part in it where 'fans' comment. As if knee jerk twitter reactions aren't bad enough in the real world.

Yeah we're thinking of making 2 Divs anyway and start some teams off as AI controlled. There's a lot of really good youth teams in the file that could be added to Div 2 under AI control until someone takes them on like Ajax, Monaco etc.

Yes I think 14 games is the ideal number. Long enough to make it have lots of twists and turns and drama but snappy enough to get through the seasons nice and regularly. We will of course need money from you lot to buy the exclusive licenses :LMAO::COAT:

Oh yeah and did you want to take Germany on? We can't have the AI winning this thing! Although it may be nailed on for @jihado86 's China anyway!:CONFUSE::D

I'll bring Germany under my wing, sure. Is the lineup/formation used so far the same as the OF I have?

Quarterfinals Matchday #4 - China vs. Austria

eZC95Iz.png

(tune in to the broadcast in a moment...)

The dream is over for China as Austria has eliminated them from the competition. This was no easy task at all and China did look as if they'd be pulling another "England vs. China" not unlike the previous Round of 16 fixture's amazing David vs. Goliath moment, particularly early on in the match as they got a few somewhat dangerous shots on goal. Austria balanced things out a good twenty minutes later and even if they didn't completely took control of the match, admittedly they ended up being a bit more offensively threatening than their opponent. Still, this match had more fouls than actual shots on goal, so if you're into brutal carnage and gratuitous violence, this might have been a perfect fit; for the more romantic football aficionados, not so much.

Austria is quietly paving the way for a shockingly positive exhibition in this competition as they reach a very much improbable presence on the WYC19 semifinals, therefore cementing their status as one of the ultimate underdogs of the tournament. As for the actual undisputed underdogs, China, it's sad to see them go after their stupendous participation - undoubtedly the first-ever footballing fairy-tale in the history of the World Youth Cup, and one that'll be very hard to beat for years to come.

MoM: Schmid. Austria's typically tricky midfield superstar's performances have been mostly disappointing so far in this tournament, and this match was no exception; however, he did what superstars are supposed to do even when they're not playing at their usual level: he carried the team on his shoulders by scoring the match's winning goal. After all, football is a game of goals and Schmid knows this.

Up: China. This team did not deserve to lose this one at all, and will surely be missed. They were as solid defensively as they were competent when building up play; only today they faced one of the most feared defenses of the tournament and couldn't create as many quality scoring chances as they did against England beforehand.

Up: Radulovic. Austria's midfielders ended the match with 9 interceptions (!) and was the team's main defensive element today, preventing the likes of Shao Tianfa from creating any palpable danger.

Down: Krienzer/Edelhofer. This striker duo was not at all as impressive as they've been so far. Edelhofer did try to have some influence on this match but his partner Krienzer was just absent today.

Down: The ref. It seems that the winning goal shouldn't have been allowed because of a foul that should've been awarded against Austria, moments before the goal was scored.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom