The Retro-PES Corner

The latest remaining default players I have usually are Ivarov as a second or third keeper, Ruskin, Jaric but as a DM and Dodo, all but the first are starters for a relatively long time and I tend to not sell them.

Agree with Castolo, at first I tend to use Huylens, works the best for dirty goals, and Hamsun I use as a holder only, sometimes even as a deep AM, to have some time on the ball.

And I don't like Foque at all! :NO:

It's end of the journey then. The team looked solid but that's football. This time my players felt and acted as the stronger side, maybe that's what put some pressure on them, something that wasn't there in the previous games.
Anyways, I think I contributed in building a team for the future. This team will win WC 2022 in Qatar.

WYC19 Quarter-finals recap

The Quarter-finals of the World Youth Cup 2019 comes to an end. Check out both the match reports and some of the broadcasted matches.

Match #1: Belgium 1-0 South Korea
Match #2: Ireland 0-1 Serbia
Match #3: Germany 4-0 Poland
Match #4: China 0-1 Austria

Everything comes to an end.

The exciting stories of some of the WYC19’s trademark underdogs have been closed as they’ve gotten a reality check by a few stronger teams and have ultimately been written out of the tournament.

South Korea were the first to go. They ascended to stardom after having beaten a probable title winners Portugal early on, yet they were unable to stop a potent Belgium side – though they only lost 1-0. Belgium sure looks like one of the top contenders at this point with their strong midfield built around workhorses Baiye and Masangu, who support creatives Patoulidis, Openda, Leoni and Cuypers.

Ireland were supposedly one of the weaker teams of the 32 that participated in the tournament, yet they quietly managed to get to the quarter-finals. Serbia was however a much more evolved beast as they completely dominated the match and forced Ireland to spend the whole match in its own midfield. The Irish were undoubtedly brave as they prevented Serbia from scoring up until the last five minutes – a 1-0 loss in the end wasn’t at all humiliating for them, given Serbia had scored five goals in just two matches before this encounter.

Poland had eliminated Spain in the Round of 16 in order to be drawn up against…Germany. Talk about bad luck…! This time around, the Germans made sure the underdog shenanigans didn’t happen on their watch and bulldozed Poland with an undeniable 4-0 win. Germany’s looking like one of the most competent (if not even themost solid) contenders at this point, even if they have yet to find a truly threatening striker to aggrandize their already powerfully dynamic offensive process.

Ultimate underdogs China (which were seen as the undisputed worst team of the competition before the WYC started) had shockingly eliminated mega-favourites England in the Round of 16 and were facing Austria on the quarter-finals. Well, that has to be a favorable draw, huh? Not so much: Austria relied on their already trademark defensive solidity and though they couldn’t do much on the offensive side, Schmid appeared out of nowhere to score the winning goal and ultimately lead the Austrians to a surprising semifinals presence. China, on the other hand, played beautifully as ever up until the very end and will surely be missed as they were playing one of the most exciting and provocative brands of football seen in this tournament.

Now, it’s time for Belgium, Serbia, Germany and Austria to show us what they’ve got in the upcoming semifinals. Who will win it all?

WYC19 Quarter-finals recap

The Quarter-finals of the World Youth Cup 2019 comes to an end. Check out both the match reports and some of the broadcasted matches.

Match #1: Belgium 1-0 South Korea
Match #2: Ireland 0-1 Serbia
Match #3: Germany 4-0 Poland
Match #4: China 0-1 Austria

Everything comes to an end.

The exciting stories of some of the WYC19’s trademark underdogs have been closed as they’ve gotten a reality check by a few stronger teams and have ultimately been written out of the tournament.

South Korea were the first to go. They ascended to stardom after having beaten a probable title winners Portugal early on, yet they were unable to stop a potent Belgium side – though they only lost 1-0. Belgium sure looks like one of the top contenders at this point with their strong midfield built around workhorses Baiye and Masangu, who support creatives Patoulidis, Openda, Leoni and Cuypers.

Ireland were supposedly one of the weaker teams of the 32 that participated in the tournament, yet they quietly managed to get to the quarter-finals. Serbia was however a much more evolved beast as they completely dominated the match and forced Ireland to spend the whole match in its own midfield. The Irish were undoubtedly brave as they prevented Serbia from scoring up until the last five minutes – a 1-0 loss in the end wasn’t at all humiliating for them, given Serbia had scored five goals in just two matches before this encounter.

Poland had eliminated Spain in the Round of 16 in order to be drawn up against…Germany. Talk about bad luck…! This time around, the Germans made sure the underdog shenanigans didn’t happen on their watch and bulldozed Poland with an undeniable 4-0 win. Germany’s looking like one of the most competent (if not even themost solid) contenders at this point, even if they have yet to find a truly threatening striker to aggrandize their already powerfully dynamic offensive process.

Ultimate underdogs China (which were seen as the undisputed worst team of the competition before the WYC started) had shockingly eliminated mega-favourites England in the Round of 16 and were facing Austria on the quarter-finals. Well, that has to be a favorable draw, huh? Not so much: Austria relied on their already trademark defensive solidity and though they couldn’t do much on the offensive side, Schmid appeared out of nowhere to score the winning goal and ultimately lead the Austrians to a surprising semifinals presence. China, on the other hand, played beautifully as ever up until the very end and will surely be missed as they were playing one of the most exciting and provocative brands of football seen in this tournament.

Now, it’s time for Belgium, Serbia, Germany and Austria to show us what they’ve got in the upcoming semifinals. Who will win it all?

I can reveal that Germany can be removed from the list of potential winners. :P

@mattmid After watching the training session I have decided to start Matazo in place of Masangu due to the accumulation of yellow cards. Matazo lacks the defensive grit that Masangu has but I believe Baiye will step up and help Matazo protect the back 4.

And I don't like Foque at all! :NO:

giphy.gif

Been playing a bit of PES 2013 on Wii this week, there's something cathartic about one of the last builds of the legendary PS2 engine PES's tucked away in Pandora's box, that there's an entire contingent of PES fans that recall the golden era ending with PES 5/6 that have no idea a small team kept developing that engine.

The Wii version seems strangely superior to the PS2 sequel which leads me to believe there must've been 3rd dev team? Let's consider how many versions/Ports there existed at this point.
  • PS3, Xbox 360 & PC
  • PS2 & PSP
  • Wii & DS
That's 7 different ports but 3 different versions, visions if you will for the game. While of course the PSP & DS versions are further stripped back and pillaged in terms of content, The engines for PS2 & Wii are quite different as well as mechanically.

The Wii benefited from higher resolution graphics & textures for a start as well as nicer shaders which on an emulator, gives it a nice HD remaster feel to vintage engine. It also has it's own unique ball physics that just aren't present in the PS2 version. Then there's obviously the gimmicky motion controls, which i don't use (I stick with the controller) but it's implementation for full control over passing clearly calls for a freer passing range, as a result it's abolished the 8 directions of dribbling (& presumably passing with the motion controls). I'm couldn't say whether it's true 360 movement or rather 16 directions like in PES 2010.

Then there's this formation screen. It serves it's purpose as a less intimidating, light hearted approach to line up selection for what i can only assume is the casual demographic the game is marketed towards. It's kind of cool, If there was a way to make the models smaller and it didn't affect performance, I'd take this over the artistically inconsistent mess we get in '19/'20.

Also, It's nice to see retro stadiums i thought would never see the light outside of the PS2 versions on another console in 2013, I don't even think these made it into PES 2014 on PS2!

It reminded me of @miguelfcp recognizing that either stadiums that have been knocked down in The Delle Alpi and Rasunda or fictional ones such as Amerigo Atlantis & Nakhon Ratchasima are immortalised on those discs, Time capules in a way of the virtual playgrounds we once inhabited.

Been playing a bit of PES 2013 on Wii this week, there's something cathartic about one of the last builds of the legendary PS2 engine PES's tucked away in Pandora's box, that there's an entire contingent of PES fans that recall the golden era ending with PES 5/6 that have no idea a small team kept developing that engine.

The Wii version seems strangely superior to the PS2 sequel which leads me to believe there must've been 3rd dev team? Let's consider how many versions/Ports there existed at this point.

• PS3, Xbox 360 & PC
    PS2 & PSP
    Wii & DS
That's 7 different ports but 3 different versions, visions if you will for the game. While of course the PSP & DS versions are further stripped back and pillaged in terms of content, The engines for PS2 & Wii are quite different as well as mechanically.

The Wii benefited from higher resolution graphics & textures for a start as well as nicer shaders which on an emulator, gives it a nice HD remaster feel to vintage engine. It also has it's own unique ball physics that just aren't present in the PS2 version. Then there's obviously the gimmicky motion controls, which i don't use (I stick with the controller) but it's implementation for full control over passing clearly calls for a freer passing range, as a result it's abolished the 8 directions of dribbling (& presumably passing with the motion controls). I'm couldn't say whether it's true 360 movement or rather 16 directions like in PES 2010.

Then there's this formation screen. It serves it's purpose as a less intimidating, light hearted approach to line up selection for what i can only assume is the casual demographic the game is marketed towards. It's kind of cool, If there was a way to make the models smaller and it didn't affect performance, I'd take this over the artistically inconsistent mess we get in '19/'20.

Also, It's nice to see retro stadiums i thought would never see the light outside of the PS2 versions on another console in 2013, I don't even think these made it into PES 2014 on PS2!

It reminded me of @miguelfcp recognizing that either stadiums that have been knocked down in The Delle Alpi and Rasunda or fictional ones such as Amerigo Atlantis & Nakhon Ratchasima are immortalised on those discs, Time capules in a way of the virtual playgrounds we once inhabited.

I have reposted that i was always feeling that Nintendo , given their target group on Wii platform, family gaming etc, and in the previous consoles N64/gamecube, gave always an extra freedom to KoNAMI, to try things on their ports that they were feared to try on mainstream "hardcore" platforms PC/xbox/ps. Like the second "visible" fatigue bar, below stamina gauge and other things. As for the gameplan screen, it is obviously inspired ftom the wiiverdr/miiverse staff from Nintendo, but it looks sweet, artistically brilliant and it leaves me a sweet swent of some footballers figures,we had when we were kids, which were subuteo-style but with big heads.

As for the ports, the DS ports remind me more of the KCEO iss series code, to be honest.

About the Nintendo creativity freedom again, you will be surprised as me to know that EA sports, has created also a Fifa2010 WC for Wii, which in contrast with EAs "strict" profile, is over the top arcadey, with auras, power ups, superpowers etc. It fascinated me that EA in 2010 created a game more for fun of families and kids and less for hardcore SIM-loving players. And given how well-developed was the fifa2010WC version for ps3 and xbox360!!
@MafiaMurderBag since you have a wii emu, i would suggest you to try it and give us feedback, whenever you have time and the mood.

Well that was a tense game to watch as manager! Both goals were sloppy one's to concede. What on earth he was doing trying to nod the ball down instead of away I don't know and then the keeper couldn't gather it either! Can't blame him too much though after two great saves in the first half. I love Djerlek, reminds me of Modric the way he kind of glides around the pitch with the ball. Kusopovic showed with his finishing why Markovic starts - if only Markovic could get in the same positions Kusopovic does though! Openda was running my defence ragged in the first half, finally showing what he is capable off. I think we definitely benefited from Masunga not being there, it gave Djerlek more room without a doubt. Good game though and easily could have gone either way.

Well played Serbia! I think you will give Germany a good run, (assuming they win tomorrow). Good to see Openda finally live up to his promise, though it meant Leoni disappearing this game. Tough to say how much we missed Masungu, as our defense did look a bit shaky.

Cuypers hitting the bar on the first penalty shot made my stomach sink...

Well played Serbia! I think you will give Germany a good run, (assuming they win tomorrow). Good to see Openda finally live up to his promise, though it meant Leoni disappearing this game. Tough to say how much we missed Masungu, as our defense did look a bit shaky.

Cuypers hitting the bar on the first penalty shot made my stomach sink...

My heart sunk when Cuypers got clean through but Gordic got out so quickly to block and again when Openda got in. Yes typical isn't, Openda shows up and Leoni goes missing.

WYC19 Semifinals Match #2 - Germany v Austria

As expected, Germany plot their way to the final. They were much the better team and but for an inspired goalkeeping display by Hedl, in the Austrian goal, it would have been much more confortable. However for all that, Edelhofer will be having nightmares tonight about his missed chance. A chance that given his keeper's heroics in the opening 90 mins could actually have seen his side through to the final. A great ball across the box evaded the German defence and Edelhofer arrived perfectly to smash a volley agonisingly past the post, glancing the side netting on its way through. Had it been on target it was in, Fruchtl would never have been able to reach it. Germany though can rightly claim they deserved the win. Time and time again they troubled the Austrian goal. Hedl produced 2 or 3 world class saves, a couple at full stretch, to deny the German attack. Eventually it was from another Germany shot that there was little he could but block the ball fired in at fairly close range. Unfortunately his defence was not there to help with the loose ball and sub Hartmann pounced for what proved to be the winning goal.

M.o.M Many of the German players played well but it has to go to Hedl. But for him it could easily have been another 3/4-0 for this powerful German side.

Down Edelhofer. He'll be reliving that moment for some time.

So, Germany reach the final and will go into it as favourites. The Serbs could well cause them problems at the back but do they have enough to contain the German attack? We shall find out.

First though Belgium meet Austria tomorrow for the Third Place Play Off

Last edited:
WYC19 Semifinals Match #2 - Germany v Austria

As expected, Germany plot their way to the final. They were much the better team and but for an inspired goalkeeping display by Hedl, in the Austrian goal, it would have been much more confortable. However for all that, Edelhofer will be having nightmares tonight about his missed chance. A chance that given his keeper's heroics in the opening 90 mins could actually have seen his side through to the final. A great ball across the box evaded the German defence and Edelhofer arrived perfectly to smash a volley agonisingly past the post, glancing the side netting on its way through. Had it been on target it was in, Fruchtl would never have been able to reach it. Germany though can rightly claim they deserved the win. Time and time again they troubled the Austrian goal. Hedl produced 2 or 3 world class saves, a couple at full stretch, to deny the German attack. Eventually it was from another Germany shot that there was little he could but block the ball fired in at fairly close range. Unfortunately his defence was not there to help with the loose ball and sub Hartmann pounced for what proved to be the winning goal.

M.o.M Many of the German players played well but it has to go to Hedl. But for him it could easily have been another 3/4-0 for this powerful German side.

Down Edelhofer. He'll be reliving that moment for some time.

So, Germany reach the final and will go into it as favourites. The Serbs could well cause them problems at the back but do they have enough to contain the German attack? We shall find out.

First though Belgium meet Austria tomorrow for the Third Place Play Off

Looks like giving your team some attacking instructions actually helps, who knew?! Slight brown trousers moment when THAT chance for Austria went wide, but looked pretty comfortable. Always felt like the lads would score eventually.

Firing your old coach just before a semi final and replacing him with a coach who has been knocked out in the same competition is unorthodox, but the Germans just don’t care it seems.

Looking forward to a hotly contested 3rd place game and a fair final. Unusual for a competition organiser to coach a team, hopefully there won’t be any shenanigans ...

Well deserved win for Germany, even if it was far from easy to beat Austria's trademark rock-solid defense. Though Germany had many more chances, Edelhofer could've had scored early on while it was still 0-0 - but then again so did Abouchabaka when he hit the post. I was already writing down Hedl as a strong candidate to the WYC Best Goalkeeper award but he didn't look good on Germany's winning goal...

Looks like giving your team some attacking instructions actually helps, who knew?! Slight brown trousers moment when THAT chance for Austria went wide, but looked pretty comfortable. Always felt like the lads would score eventually.

Firing your old coach just before a semi final and replacing him with a coach who has been knocked out in the same competition is unorthodox, but the Germans just don’t care it seems.

Looking forward to a hotly contested 3rd place game and a fair final. Unusual for a competition organiser to coach a team, hopefully there won’t be any shenanigans ...

Particularly when appointing an English manager as well! I don't know what you could possibly mean about the organisers. :D Chairman Miguel oversaw the glorious China win in the 2nd round but also allowed watched Austria beat them in the Quarter Finals. Meanwhile no money changed hands for the Serbia games, although it appears my players did channel their inner Nemanja Vidic during the game, picking up four bookings! :D

Really though it's destined to be like most tournaments I remember, everyone goes into it with hope and at the end Germany win it. :LOL:

Particularly when appointing an English manager as well! I don't know what you could possibly mean about the organisers. :D Chairman Miguel oversaw the glorious China win in the 2nd round but also allowed watched Austria beat them in the Quarter Finals. Meanwhile no money changed hands for the Serbia games, although it appears my players did channel their inner Nemanja Vidic during the game, picking up four bookings! :D

Really though it's destined to be like most tournaments I remember, everyone goes into it with hope and at the end Germany win it. :LOL:

Hah, an English manager of all things! Any suspensions for the final? No accumulated yellows? ;)

Chairman Miguel ... I love it. We should petition a mod to change his username for as long as his avatar bet goes on for!

Hah, an English manager of all things! Any suspensions for the final? No accumulated yellows? ;)

Chairman Miguel ... I love it. We should petition a mod to change his username for as long as his avatar bet goes on for!

Yes! Chairman Miguel will be overseeing trades in the MIMA League as well. A 20% surcharge as a gift to the homeless fund (wink,wink) should seal the deal.

The entire first 11 of Germany have been hit with retrospective red cards for 'always getting to the final' :D No, no accumulated card bans or injuries in either squad. I got lucky as Tedic was on a yellow but he didn't get one of the four cards in the semi final!

@Special4988 Any changes for Belgium in the third place game? Cuypers needs a goal to get the outright Golden Boot that he currently shares with Griffiths.

Back
Top Bottom