The Retro-PES Corner

Anyway suffice to say it turned out to be one of the best days out at football I've ever had, better than the FA Cup final when we were big favourites and playing with a team of internationals. I came away thinking that's why I go to football, for days like that. All those defeats you watch, the awful performances, away games of old, getting soaked in an uncovered stand, getting beaten 3-0 and a 150 mile drive home to come. Days like that final are the reason you do it and make it all worth while.

And I think @Chris Davies might have just had one of those :D Congratulations!

I think it was Barney Ronay in the Guardian who wrote a piece arguing that the reason that football is so good is because it can be so bad. That's true, whether you're partisan or a neutral.

@slamsoze , glad to be able to agree as always mate. The Division One and Two Cup ties are definitely coded differently or something more difficult than league games by Konami as the COM teams all play like the Bianconeri after a trip to the pharmacy....

:DD:DD:DD

If you guys think Div1/2 Cup matches are that special on retro-PES games, you should try those types of matches out on PES PSP. In decades of ML saves, I don't think I've ever had at least one cup match per season that didn't end with outrageous scorelines like 3-4, 4-5, 6-2, and the like. I just knew the match of the season would always be a cup match, those were always much more intense and spectacular than the typical league/WEFA encounter. Scripted? Probably, but they're also the most memorable for me.

@miguelfcp, that is possibly not scripted miggy, as it just might be the teeny PSP screen making play additionally brutal hard. For example, have regularly taken a crushing aggregate cup tie defeat scoreline of 4-5 and 5-6 against Europort or Anhalt, and was left shell-shocked.

I would agree the WEFA Championships was always easier to progress far. And the Masters Cup a bit tougher being pure knock-out. That for me is more about a better squad later into a Master League campaign too.

@WhoAteMeDinner: But those scores I mentioned were not the aggregate score, I was talking about a single match! It was absolutely crazy. The tiny screen does have an impact but I tried the PSP PC emulator with a bigger screen and the gameplay is still as challenging as on a physical PSP.

Great goal @jajabinx35 I don't think anyone can top the legendary Shearers bazooka from that kind of range!

I uploaded both legs of the quarter finals this weekend, I'll get the semi finals up during the week and the final on Saturday to get you all in the mood for Liverpool's Champions League homecoming that evening... :BOP:

1st Leg:

We are down to our final eight which includes underdogs Rosenborg, Former champions Porto, Heavy favourites Barcelona & Juventus and last years runners up, AC Milan.Who will get the edge in the first leg of the Quarter Finals?

2nd Leg:

so i just re-playd that first random match which was turkey vs romania (me) yesterday on different diff. from 3* to 6*, the only difference i noticed was on 6* the com playing faster and being more risky like some long shots, but it was not harder, 3 to 5 was all the same pretty much, now i dont know on which level to start the ML :OOOH:

@MafiaMurderBag That Barcelona match was epic (2nd leg). I reckon they'll go all the way now!

@miguelfcp really great to see this. Would love to see many members uploading their videos.

Can anyone see my vote? - I selected the 'spoiler' option, but can't seem to see it unless I edit my post :(

my vote goes for @MafiaMurderBag. Great free kick by Henry

Last edited:
If you guys think Div1/2 Cup matches are that special on retro-PES games, you should try those types of matches out on PES PSP. In decades of ML saves, I don't think I've ever had at least one cup match per season that didn't end with outrageous scorelines like 3-4, 4-5, 6-2, and the like. I just knew the match of the season would always be a cup match, those were always much more intense and spectacular than the typical league/WEFA encounter. Scripted? Probably, but they're also the most memorable for me.

I have all the PES games on the PSP, and I noticed that in the 2009 version and later, the games felt more scripted(especially the cup matches). Not sure if you noticed this or not as well??

The 2008 version is my go to version now. Seems to have the best gameplay with the least amount of scripting.

Yes, I noticed that also. Other than cup matches, it even happens in master league. Like if I am 2nd in the league and if a lower rank team is playing really well, it normally means the team that is 1st in the table is either drawing or losing

@mattmid: I got caught tying to steal your goal! :LOL: just corrected the post, and to be clear, my goal is the one scored by Van den Berg.

@jajabinx35: Up until a while ago we had always at least half a dozen goals competing every week, it was a joy to behold.
No, your spoiler doesn't show, but if you're having trouble with it, you don't necessarily have to use the spoiler function to vote.

@Special4988: Oh, definitely. I haven't played a 2008 PSP ML in a while but I don't recall witnessing the CPU on God Mode as it does on 2009-2014. If PES08 PSP had more than just that one stadium, I don't think I'd ever abandon that version for the later ones, the gameplay is spot-on.

@MafiaMurderBag: Can one watch this and not want to play PES5? It might be flawed, but I can't help but love that game with a passion.
Porto...once again, they were far from brilliant, but onto the semifinals we go anyway. :BSCARF:
Juve's Emerson called, says he wants to participate in the Retro-PES Goal of the Week :D two powerful goals indeed. Then, as Barça manages to tie it on the 2nd leg (with the help of a certain 18-year-old who I bet will make it big someday...), seconds before the end, penalty for Barcelona, 3-0, they win!
What about Milan's Stam, who practically offered Man Utd a goal early on, only to score the goal Milan needed to win the match on extra-time? Epic!

Now a Porto-Barcelona...if Messi, Ronaldinho, Larsson, Eto'o, Xavi, Deco and Puyol don't play, I guess we'll have a chance to win it :LOL:

@miguelfcp Yeah it's a shame the 2008 version was lacking in a lot of key areas for the PSP.

- Only 1 stadium
- No commentary, (well other than a few phrases after a goal or something)
- Lag if lots of players around the box

But the gameplay makes it worth it for me. I try to play the 2014 version, which looks great and has full commentary, but just doesn't jive with me in the gameplay department.

"The most lucrative soccer game in the world takes place today". (CNN).

He who knows the price of everything does not know the value of anything.....

:TD::TD::TD:

@Special4988: That's the thing, the gameplay is so good that after a while you just don't give a crap about those issues.
In fact, it's still being updated these days. I played the retro version of that OF, a full database of classic teams and players, and it's by far one of the best edits I've ever played.

OMG :SHOCK: I didn't know they were still updating the 2008 version! I guess I never even bothered to check... Now I will have to start over my Master League so I can have Kane, Son, Erikson, and Dele. Haha, this made my day.

Silly question, it is possible to have 2 different option files for the PES 2008 game on my PSP? I like the updated 2008 teams, but also want to have the newest updated team sheets as well. Trying to figure out how to switch back and forth...

@MafiaMurderBag That Barcelona match was epic (2nd leg). I reckon they'll go all the way now!

my vote goes for @MafiaMurderBag. Great free kick by Henry

Thanks for the vote and yeah that was a pretty crazy match!

[USER=231745]@MafiaMurderBag
: Can one watch this and not want to play PES5? It might be flawed, but I can't help but love that game with a passion.
Porto...once again, they were far from brilliant, but onto the semifinals we go anyway. :BSCARF:
Juve's Emerson called, says he wants to participate in the Retro-PES Goal of the Week :D two powerful goals indeed. Then, as Barça manages to tie it on the 2nd leg (with the help of a certain 18-year-old who I bet will make it big someday...), seconds before the end, penalty for Barcelona, 3-0, they win!
What about Milan's Stam, who practically offered Man Utd a goal early on, only to score the goal Milan needed to win the match on extra-time? Epic!

Now a Porto-Barcelona...if Messi, Ronaldinho, Larsson, Eto'o, Xavi, Deco and Puyol don't play, I guess we'll have a chance to win it :LOL:
[/USER]

Couldn't sum it up any better myself. So much diversity across each fixture in this competition, each match tells it's own story. After a long, playing, recording & editing session making these vids, i'm exhausted and don't want to touch another football game for another week haha but then i watch them back and can't help but smile at how immersive and how dramatic these games can be, it's ridiculous. So much fun.

[SPOILER="I didn't watch the 03-04 Champions League as it happened as i just started watching football when Euro 2004 started, obviously we know how influential Mourinho and his players were but how convincing were Porto in that CL campaign? Where they performances worthy of winning the CL or was it more like Portugal in 2016 where they kinda stumbled through and took it one close game at a time? I've seen the scores on Wikipedia but they don't really do the story of a tournament justice on their own.

Also, the Stam mistake and redemption in the Man Utd game reminded me of a similar story when Thuram scored an own goal against Croatia in WC '98 semi final then atoned for it by scoring the match winner."][/SPOILER]

[QUOTE="Special4988, post: 3391428, member: 150501"][USER=231745]@MafiaMurderBag

I love that layoff to Strand in the first half in the first leg. He really ran onto it and hit it sweetly. If he scored, that would be my vote for goal of the week![/QUOTE] That's the beauty of these games that scoring glorious goals isn't guaranteed and the setups for historic goals are so rare that you clench your fist and go "Arrrgh nearly, maybe next time" then when the unthinkable happens, you punch the air and it feels so satisfying because your player usually carries out your command exactly as you instructed. These days it seems you could tap square from 30 yards out with your eyes closed on PES 2019 and it flys in the top corner, just seems so unrewarding and anti-climatic.

@MafiaMurderBag mate I actually get excited when I see the next part to this series is ready lol, fantastic stuff. Inspired me to do my own champions league playthrough (18-19 season) on PES6 controlling all the teams.
Thanks, that means a lot and makes it worthwhile that people actually look forward to it! Good to know i'm not the only one who does this either, I basically used to do it all the time as a kid & would commentate to myself and keep tables and all sorts so i guess i'm just reliving out my childhood through these games!

recently playing pes 2008 and 2009 (both pc). from this time perspective, they were good games.
Yeah PES 2008 in hindsight really isn't bad at all, just wasn't the contemporary leap the fans were expecting when FIFA took the initiative to modernise their game. Thing is, You occasionally read people, (Who obviously hasn't seen the light that is Retro PES) reminisce and say they'd long for a "HD" version of PES 6, yet not only could they do that on PC if they know about downsampling... But PES 2008 was practically that - The classic PS2 engine albeit with a few tweaks with HD assests, 3D crowd and new player models. And it's fine as exactly that. Just the console version is a bloody abomination performance wise but it's 60FPS and looks pretty sexy on the PC at 4K.[/user]

Where the apparently rebranded "Frank Lampard's Derby" lost. Also rebranded last season were "Steven Gerrard's Rangers"[/QUOTE,

@mattmid , Wonder what kind of mental strain players told they are playing in a 170 million pound game are under ?

And when Zico, Cruyff or Beckenbauer turned to management, were the clubs rebranded in their name ?

(I know Der Kaiser was the closest to that but he did invent an entire football position and style of play.)

Last edited:
@MafiaMurderBag , in terms of historic goals and a thousand near misses, rebounds off the woodwork and outrageous COM keeper saves. PES 3 is yet again renowned for the hyper-sensitive shooting controls and almost impossible to score from volleys.

And yet, Arellano would score one flying volley or sideways scissors kick goal a season and make it look simple...

:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

@mattmid , Wonder what kind of mental strain players told they are playing in a 170 million pound game are under ?

And when Zico, Cruyff or Beckenbauer turned to management, were the clubs rebranded in their name ?

(I know Der Kaiser was the closest to that but he did invent an entire football position and style of play.)

I would also wonder how many of them will soon find out they are surplus to requirements as the cash gets splashed on other players.

So, only one third placed team got promoted (Charlton). In many ways I don't like the play offs but I can also see the value of them in terms of keeping the season alive and meaningful during the last few weeks, rather than turn up to the last five games to watch teams with nothing to play for. Our game against Peterborough in the second last game had them having to win to stand a change of getting into the play offs and us having to win to have a chance of going into the final day with a chance of automatic promotion. What a game it was. End to end, wide open, both teams desperate to win with a draw being of no use to either. If only all games were like that! In the end they came out on top 2-3.

I do think the play offs should be a bit more weighted in favour of finishing position though. The National League went a step nearer that with 2nd and 3rd only having to win 2 games compared to 3 for the other four teams.

I think it should be like this: All one leg. 5th at home to 6th. Winner away to 4th. Winner away to 3rd. That way third place has one home game to win to get promoted, where as 6th has to win three away games against 5th, 4th and 3rd. If they do that then fair play, they'll have really earned the promotion.

Back
Top Bottom