The Retro-PES Corner

And we have the Women's World Cup and Copa America too.

Thanks for these mate, i do appreciate it. I've got a Euro 2008 patch, found some kits for the 16 teams too and a seperate option file, the only thing which i can't seem to track down is working links for the Stadiums used in the tournament sadly. I don't know if it's possible to convert PES 6 Stadiums to PES 2008 either, I've asked about but no one seems to be getting back to me haha.
I consider yourself lucky, since you found even this.PES 2008 next-gen got so kuch hate, including me, that seems as a miracle that people worked on patches for this.
Remember readin a Seabass interview, can't find link now, stating how rushed the game was, he even asked more time for development, but KONAMI demanded an instant catch up of the PS3 release.
They tried to achieve many different objectives that year, nextgen, online, refreshing content and due to rush they failed hard. Especially having an improved FIFA 08 on the other side, a PES 5/6 predecessor and a PES6 engined pes2008 in your other platform ps2, which did much better .
It's a shame cause, at least in ML they really tried very hard, with innovative ideas to refresh the concept, Player fame/reputation
etc. and staff thst we muss even today unfortunately in 2019. It was all digges in the underground with the collapse of PES franchise since then.

Women's World Cup and the Copa America are at least legitimate international tournaments and not FIFA or UEFA contrivances to make football a year-round television and advertising slugathon designed to drain the last drop of passion and class from our game.

And why the hell is the European Cup Final now held in June ?

:RANT::RANT::RANT:
What European Cup Final?

And i agree about the integrity and prestige of the tournaments being compromised for the sole purpose of broadcasting rights and more games. Euro 2016 was a slog as well as more inferior teams playing poor quality football who didn't really need to be there. Not to mention the 3 teams qualifying from a group rule diminished most of the drama of the group stages too.

you are welcome.

btw, could you re-upload that euro 2008 patch? the links for it are all gone.
I got it from here. There's actually updates for the patch from the creator Carlvalho7 on other websites but the links are dead. Those are the ones that feature the stadiums.

https://www.pesoccerworld.com/descargar/uefa-euro-2008-patch-by-carvalho7-2478.html

I consider yourself lucky, since you found even this.PES 2008 next-gen got so kuch hate, including me, that seems as a miracle that people worked on patches for this.
Remember readin a Seabass interview, can't find link now, stating how rushed the game was, he even asked more time for development, but KONAMI demanded an instant catch up of the PS3 release.
Yes, and those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It's exactly what happened with PES 2014, it was clearly unfinished and they were pressured to ship it as is anyway rather than debuting the fox engine on '15 instead.

It also explains why PES 6 Xbox 360 was such rushed, bare bones port because Konami wanted to get a product out to compete with FIFA 07 that year. The result was that both games were barren of features and modes.

Was this post by @Titch where all the salary cap, default only, default and youth list only squad Master League challenges began.

Now a left-footed only squad would be really interesting I think ?

(Page 1 thread post from Titchifer).

:THINK::THINK::THINK:

Last edited:
What European Cup Final?

And i agree about the integrity and prestige of the tournaments being compromised for the sole purpose of broadcasting rights and more games. Euro 2016 was a slog as well as more inferior teams playing poor quality football who didn't really need to be there. Not to mention the 3 teams qualifying from a group rule diminished most of the drama of the group stages too.

I got it from here. There's actually updates for the patch from the creator Carlvalho7 on other websites but the links are dead. Those are the ones that feature the stadiums.

https://www.pesoccerworld.com/descargar/uefa-euro-2008-patch-by-carvalho7-2478.html

Yes, and those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It's exactly what happened with PES 2014, it was clearly unfinished and they were pressured to ship it as is anyway rather than debuting the fox engine on '15 instead.

It also explains why PES 6 Xbox 360 was such rushed, bare bones port because Konami wanted to get a product out to compete with FIFA 07 that year. The result was that both games were barren of features and modes.

@MafiaMurderBag , the Dinner does not recognise arbitrary commercially motivated name changes.

:NONO::NONO::NONO:

Now a left-footed only squad would be really interesting I think ?

We tried a right footed only one due to injuries in the first play off leg. That didn't work. Then again neither did it last night with both! Although we could still be playing now and not have scored yet.

@MafiaMurderBag , the Dinner does not recognise arbitrary commercially motivated name changes.

The Dinner is to be commended on this :BEER:

Not to mention the Cup Final starting at 5:30 these days. :R1

The Copa, yet again is on an obscure channel here called Premier so I won't be seeing any of that again I guess. Been ages since I've seen that and it's one of the best tournaments usually. South American national teams seem to be the last one's who actually remember that the idea of the game is to win, rather than not to lose. Although guess who are an invited team this year? Qatar! Hmm wonder why. :THINK:

Last edited:
We tried a right footed only one due to injuries in the first play off leg. That didn't work. Then again neither did it last night with both! Although we could still be playing now and not have scored yet.

The Copa, yet again is on an obscure channel here called Premier so I won't be seeing any of that again I guess. Been ages since I've seen that and it's one of the best tournaments usually. South American national teams seem to be the last one's who actually remember that the idea of the game is to win, rather than not to lose. Although guess who are an invited team this year? Qatar! Hmm wonder why. :THINK:

Japan as well.

Thanks @mattmid , and matters mate, that Premier Sports channel is certainly obscure. It is in fact a remnant of the old Setanta Sports. The Copa America used to be on Eurosport for a while and like you, what always struck me about all the games was how the South American teams always went all-out to win every game. No cagey and over cautious European football bollox.

Would love dearly to see the South American World Cup qualification games too. All ten continental nations play in one massive group that takes two and half years to sort out the four plus one qualifiers. Tim Vickery (football journalist based in Brazil) often speaks warmly of how relative football minnows like Ecuador or Bolivia regularly give the big boys a real going over in high altitude stadiums on their own turf.

If some passion is coming through in this post, can't help it as football's heart for me still beats in far off lands, while in Europe, money has destroyed our game.

Having now played PES 6 for several months now (due to being tired of the PES 19 scripting and being stuck with a bad laptop), I have come to realise that I have worn nostalgia goggles all aloung! The state of the game was even worse back then than it is now!

The constant clumsiness shown by the players, the shooting controls making no sense, the amateurish goalkeepers, I absolutely cannot stand that old piece of garbage anymore!

The only times I concede goals are due to insane freekicks, ridiculous headers and idiotic goalkeeping (my goalkeeper once litterally punched a goal that was going out back into the field so the opponent's striker could score). Meanwhile, the opponent's defence is absolutely godlike while their goalkeeper makes saves that my goalkeeper wishes he could make.

Seriously I cannot stand watching Modric fumbling around like a goof when colliding with other players. I cannot stand that the moment I finally get a shot on goal the player shoots the ball into space. I cannot stand that most games end up 0-0 because the whole game is build around being as hard as possible to score goals, making it really an anti-fun experience.

It is especially the awful controls that makes me want to put the game away for good. I am actually thankful to go back to playing PES 19 now. PES 6 might have been good for its time, but now it is absolutely laughable.

I would love to be enlightened by PES 6 defenders explaining to me how the game is better in any way than newer PES games.

Having now played PES 6 for several months now (due to being tired of the PES 19 scripting and being stuck with a bad laptop), I have come to realise that I have worn nostalgia goggles all aloung! The state of the game was even worse back then than it is now!

The constant clumsiness shown by the players, the shooting controls making no sense, the amateurish goalkeepers, I absolutely cannot stand that old piece of garbage anymore!

The only times I concede goals are due to insane freekicks, ridiculous headers and idiotic goalkeeping (my goalkeeper once litterally punched a goal that was going out back into the field so the opponent's striker could score). Meanwhile, the opponent's defence is absolutely godlike while their goalkeeper makes saves that my goalkeeper wishes he could make.

Seriously I cannot stand watching Modric fumbling around like a goof when colliding with other players. I cannot stand that the moment I finally get a shot on goal the player shoots the ball into space. I cannot stand that most games end up 0-0 because the whole game is build around being as hard as possible to score goals, making it really an anti-fun experience.

It is especially the awful controls that makes me want to put the game away for good. I am actually thankful to go back to playing PES 19 now. PES 6 might have been good for its time, but now it is absolutely laughable.

I would love to be enlightened by PES 6 defenders explaining to me how the game is better in any way than newer PES games.

Ehhhh....I guess you should try PES 3.

Since we have the fa cup final now live, who like me prefer the old wembley stadium design to this one..i love the open top a lot more than this new design it is hiding a lot of lighting and feels claustrophobic, i used to love playing in wembley in Iss pro 2002

It is better in the way of "class". If pes2019 will be edited and played in 2031, then we can compare them in a common base.

It is better in the way of "class". If pes2019 will be edited and played in 2031, then we can compare them in a common base.

Ahhh well said @slamsoze , me old pal. PES 6 took a long time to grow on me as alot of what @Worm199 , said about very difficult COM defenses to break down and insane keeper errors like punching the ball into their own net all too often.

But the class you mention in PES 6 shines through after many seasons of player development and squad additions. Then the errors and tough defenses are equal on both teams in a game and the beautiful graphics like the winter conditions snowy pitches and bright red ball are very cool.

Last edited:
@Lobbedball , I know what you mean. All the ultra-modern football stadiums look like upside down cereal bowls. Too much roof cover for all the corporate boxes, no floodlight pylons or moats around the edge of the stands.

The old Olympic Stadium in Munich was my favourite real world and Gran Chaco in PES.

Highbury and Wembley (PS1) where sublime for me.

@Worm199: Even though I don't think PES6 is the best PES of all time, its greatness is self-evident because here we are, 13 years after its release, talking about it - some keep on enjoying the game, some don't, but it's still a kind of ghost that never stops haunting the latest PES releases, as people keep comparing those with that game every time a new iteration comes out. I hope I'll be around to find out whether by the time PES2032 is released, we'll still be comparing it with PES2019 and playing PES2019 instead of PES32.

I couldn't write that last sentence with a straight face, though. And given the tendency, it's much more probable we'll be comparing PES32 with...goddamn PES6. :DD

As for the subject of directly comparing a 13-year-old game with one that is two console generations apart, if you feel the need of comparing both, then you already lost. Retro-PES isn't for you at all, you'll only be wasting time on it, and you'll have no satisfaction in playing anything but the modern game. You're comparing apples with oranges, and because the comparison makes no sense, you'll get no satisfying answer for it.

For me, this is simple: like the game, play it; don't like it, don't. You can talk about the modern games' 4K graphics, XPTO engines, Ultramegamodern technologies, 567 leagues and gazillion players; logically, you're correct, any retro-PES game always loses that comparison. But none of that matters when you're playing. You rather care about having a fun, entertaining and challenging experience every time. I get that with PES6 - among many other retro-PES games. You could write me a list of a thousand things you find wrong about that game, I'd certainly agree with most, but I'd keep playing the game anyway.
Why though? Is it for the game's own merit? Nostalgia goggles as you call it? Me being a dumb f*ck who thinks 8-directional player movement is enough?...
...then again, who cares? I play the game, I like playing it, so I play it again.

In saner times this would be an obvious idea, but I guess it's almost a revolutionary mentality in an age where cognitive dissonance is king, where the audience spends a whole year bashing the newest sports game because they're having a horrible experience with it; yet for some reason they keep on playing it and next year, there they are buying the following iteration, and the cycle never ends. It would go a long way if people stopped buying/playing sports games as if they were investing on the stock market and just sat down, looked at their banquet of available sports games to play and thought to themselves: "what do I feel like playing today?".

Old man rant over.

well, i know from where you got it :), but like i told you earlier, that link doesn't work anymore.

can you please reupload?
Oh sorry, guess i was lucky to grab it when i could, here you go!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1mpqgp10004gw7/UEFA_Euro_2008_Patch_v1.0.rar?dl=0

I think Retro PES may not be for you in that case and you're either better suited to trying something from the '11-'13 era or maybe even PES 2017 which is in my opinion, the best of the fox engine versions.

I appreciate you didn't have a good experience with the game but PES 6 really isn't as bad as you say it is though, that's just a fact. Yes it's aged mechanically compared to what we have now, of course but that's the entire point of retro gaming. It isn't going to have the luxory of 15 years of gaming evolution we have now. You might aswell just compare the PS2 to the PS4 as well in that case, why?

Appreciate these games for what they were, they're literally time capsules which represent a time when developers were ambitious and passionate about merging gaming with the philosophy of the sport. What Konami accomplished is nothing short of tremendous on PS1 & PS2 tech. They could've put out another football toy like Actua Soccer or FIFA like others were doing at the time but instead had the vision that gaming could transcend the stereotype that it was a distraction for kids and adolescents.

There's a reason so many people reference that golden era of PS2 PES games. They replicated the emotions, drama & dynamics of a football match on that tech. Not many PES games after wards had you punching the air when you scored. They we're challenging, but they were also responsive and rewarding.

I'm surprised you said so many games ended in 0-0's, PES 6 was actually a game where you could have a lot of high scorelines because they re-balanced the game after the notoriously difficult PES 5. As far as variety in goals and AI?
Go check out my 2002 World Cup series I made for the game, The creativity and unpredictability in some of the goals from the CPU had me out of my seat.

@Lobbedball , I know what you mean. All the ultra-modern football stadiums look like upside down cereal bowls. Too much roof cover for all the corporate boxes, no floodlight pylons or moats around the edge of the stands.

The old Olympic Stadium in Munich was my favourite real world and Gran Chaco in PES.
Yeah i brought this up a little while ago that whilst i understand these grounds are decades old and renovation is necessary and sometimes even knocking them down and building new grounds, it also makes me sad that a lot of these venues where iconic, unique and instantly recognisable and they've been replaced by the same template it seems now. Almost every new stadium either looks like the Allianz or Emirates stadium. And pretty soon, they'll all be named some variation of that too.

I miss the character of White Hart Lane, Highbury, Munich's Olympic Stadium and Vicente Calderon, now they've all got that bird nest bowl look going for them, they're corporate playgrounds now.

@Worm199: Even though I don't think PES6 is the best PES of all time, its greatness is self-evident because here we are, 13 years after its release, talking about it - some keep on enjoying the game, some don't, but it's still a kind of ghost that never stops haunting the latest PES releases, as people keep comparing those with that game every time a new iteration comes out. I hope I'll be around to find out whether by the time PES2032 is released, we'll still be comparing it with PES2019 and playing PES2019 instead of PES32.
Perfect post. I'm also interested in @Worm199 history with the series, if he grew up with PES 5 & 6 too as i imagine it might be difficult going to an older game with no point of reference other than current tech. You've got to have expectations and an understanding that you can't play PES 6 the same way you'd play PES 2019. The main appreciation is how well these games replicated football with the tech available then they had any right of doing. It's also something typical of sports games that an older title has a long lasting legacy too. It's not just PES, I understand that NHL 2004 is still beloved, supported by the community and modded with current rosters today, it's the PES 6 of NHL. Miguel, you could probably speak on what the NBA 2K equivalent is and of course in Wrestling games, No Mercy is often credited as being the best wrestling game of all time, that's a bloody N64 game, worse hardware then the PS1 for it's limited cartridge space.

But yes, you're right about thing though. Just play what you want to play and enjoy what actually gives you satisfaction. Just because something is popular with other people doesn't mean you have to force it down your own throat either. It's ok to not enjoy what others like or not understand why it's so critcally acclaimed. If that was the case, i'd be throwing my wages at Fortnite, myClub & Black Ops 5 with Game of Thrones and The fucking Walking Dead season 8 streaming in the background just because they're culturally popular right now.

@Worm199 Are you sure you aren't mixing up Pes 6 with Pes 5? Although I wouldn't of course agree with the negative terms you described the game with, it would be consistent with the many 0-0 and the hard defense. At the opposite, in Pes 6 it's definitely not that impossibly frustrating to score with a medium team.

By the way, if you can't play old Pes because you can't stand old engines/game structures compared with new ones I respect your view, but IA and variety wise any random title of that gen (even Pes 6 which I don't particularly love) just eat alive Pes 2019 and, well, that's the simple, main reason why me and the guys from this thread still play them.

Anyone remember the club Matra Racing? (Big team back in the days)....well, just added them into the pea 89 mod. Nearly completed french liga, will move into the Italians soon

@Worm199 Are you sure you aren't mixing up Pes 6 with Pes 5? Although I wouldn't of course agree with the negative terms you described the game with, it would be consistent with the many 0-0 and the hard defense. At the opposite, in Pes 6 it's definitely not that impossibly frustrating to score with a medium team.

By the way, if you can't play old Pes because you can't stand old engines/game structures compared with new ones I respect your view, but IA and variety wise any random title of that gen (even Pes 6 which I don't particularly love) just eat alive Pes 2019 and, well, that's the simple, main reason why me and the guys from this thread still play them.
It's exactly what I was thinking. PES 5, as much as I love it, is synonymous with low score lines & difficulty in scoring. Not to say high scorelines are impossible either. I got thrashed as Barcelona by Werder Bremen in one of my episodes. But like I said before, there's a different flavour of Retro PES for a different day of the week and that's the real gift.

But yes, you're right about thing though. Just play what you want to play and enjoy what actually gives you satisfaction. Just because something is popular with other people doesn't mean you have to force it down your own throat either. It's ok to not enjoy what others like or not understand why it's so critcally acclaimed. If that was the case, i'd be throwing my wages at Fortnite, myClub & Black Ops 5 with Game of Thrones and The fucking Walking Dead season 8 streaming in the background just because they're culturally popular right now.

It comes down to what I say all the time: we can choose. There are more than 20 iterations of ISS/PES alone, the many FIFAs, and many more. Some have great graphics, some have great shooting mechanics, some have plenty of fouls, there's always something for everyone's taste. If there isn't a single game on that extensive list that one enjoys playing, not a single one, then he might have to consider the possibility that the problem is his, not the games'. Every year I see countless people complaining that the current year's PES/FIFA is/are crappy, so they panic because "they don't have any football game to play".
Really?

(...) Miguel, you could probably speak on what the NBA 2K equivalent (...)
The series has evolved massively on all areas, and real-life NBA basketball as a sport is much different now than it was almost ten years ago; but it's like we say here all the time regarding the classic retro-PES titles: if you fire up a session of NBA2K11 and just focus on the experience you're getting with that game, you can't help but love it. That game had "it", that elusive and unique magical feeling you can't quite explain what it is but it's there and you feel it. That thing that makes a game shine above all others, a cut above the rest.

Oh and about the stadiums discussion, I wholeheartedly agree. One of the great things about retro-PES is that you get to play on classic stadiums like Highbury and Olympiastadion, Delle Alpi, Rasunda or Velodrome. Some have even been demolished and don't exist anymore, others have been modified recently.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Gran Chaco is the stadium of the antichrist, man. There's a freaking inverted cross on the top of at least one of the buildings that appear on the outside of the stadium. Konami's literally satanic :DD

Oh and about the stadiums discussion, I wholeheartedly agree. One of the great things about retro-PES is that you get to play on classic stadiums like Highbury and Olympiastadion, Delle Alpi, Rasunda or Velodrome. Some have even been demolished and don't exist anymore, others have been modified recently.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Gran Chaco is the stadium of the antichrist, man. There's a freaking inverted cross on the top of at least one of the buildings that appear on the outside of the stadium. Konami's literally satanic :DD

@miguelfcp , and don't forget the rutted pitch and slope, not to mention the home to the dream crushers Pelopponisos (Olympiacos).

It is in the real world Boca's La Bombonera.

I have to agree re the stadiums although having been to both the old Wembley quite a few times to watch England and the new Wembley to watch Pompey I have to say admit the new one is a brilliant stadium. The view from anywhere is excellent and high up you are almost looking for the controller to control the players :) But seriously it gives a cracking side on/overhead view of the play without being a mile away.

However the soulless bowls that many teams have now are just awful. Often stuck in the middle of an industrial estate. Well I say awful, I guess in their own right they are ok but they are just a cut and paste job it seems from site to site and so quickly become featureless and mundane with little to no character. When I first went to the Emirates I thought it was a great stadium, but then it just became one of many.

That said about new stadiums I wouldn't mind a cup draw against Spurs. :)

At the old Wembley I remember a really cold night back in 1992. It was England v Cameroon (god knows what they made of the cold weather!) The concrete in the stadium was even freezing, I think it was about -4 (not that cold in itself although cold for here) but there was a biting wind as well. Stuart Pearce meanwhile was down on the pitch in short sleeves :LOL: A man who could have found a place in the ML defaults, slotting in nicely at left back. Removing the legs of any winger who dared to stray into his corner of the pitch.

One of my favourite things about the classic games is the unique grounds we grew up playing in, digitally. It's quite poignant when you put it like that, how they've since been demolished. That they only live on in archive footage and in these games. Theses discs are effectively time capsules.

Not to mention a glimpse into simpler times on the licensing front too. most major teams across Europe had their ground in the game under a fake name, Once we moved onto the generation, those 42 stadiums very quickly became 15 with about 9 of those usually being generic.

thank you mate, i really apperciate it ;)

i did a quick test and there are few things that bother me:

- patch from late april 2008 without bundesliga? :)

- menus don't fit full hd resolution;

- scoreboard is messed up.

Well at least there's a Premier League but and maybe other patches would've had A Bundesliga, but i didn't play PES 2008 on PC back in the day so i can't really remember what the vitality of the editing community was like, I imagine from what i've seen that it wasn't great, there doesn't seem to be much support for PES 2008 at all. Most of the work from creators seems to be lost to the sands of time as i don't think many people probably imagined some of us would be playing these annual installments 10 years later. People have only just started the preservation efforts for PES 5 & 6 Patches now and some for PES 2010-2014.

I think that Scoreboard bug seems to be an issue with resolution. We're playing at a much higher resolution then the game supported in 2008 or what patch makers would've been using back then. It's another faucet of the way's in which these games were made and technology has evolved.

PES 3 still has frame rate and resolution issues now matter how powerful your PC is in 2019, It just wasn't verywell optimised and i think Konami didn't have the experience with the PC version they later developed.

Back
Top Bottom