The Retro-PES Corner

I installed PES 5 and 6 again last week, played some matches back to back of both versions, can't believe how much they simplyfied everything for PES 6, the physical contact completely gone, ball physics and first touch too

did they try to make it more Arcade on purpose, or because they also had to make the Xbox 360 version that year

Great stuff again Miguel. I don't have much a clue about basket ball but i do remember how popular those NBA 2K games where on modding boards, What i also remember was how god damn immersive it looked both animation wise and the broadcast feel.

Even to this day they've nailed that Monday Night sports feel better than any game franchise i know of. I envied this series so much. The only one i actually played was NBA 2K15 i think and that was only because it was free on PS+. Still had fun with it even though i didn't really know what i was doing.

---
Finally up to the knockout stages my my Champions League!

It's February 2006, The winter break is over and The Champions League resumes with the hotly anticipated knockout stages! Find out what went down in the first leg of all Eight, Round of 16 fixtures!

I installed PES 5 and 6 again last week, played some matches back to back of both versions, can't believe how much they simplyfied everything for PES 6, the physical contact completely gone, ball physics and first touch too

did they try to make it more Arcade on purpose, or because they also had to make the Xbox 360 version that year

@kovy , found the same with playing more than ten ML seasons with PES 6 last year. The pure fizz on the ball is gone and as you say, doing a cynical and almost homicidal professional foul is made impossible by the mad new slide tackle that is very inaccurate.

PES 6 needs loads of playing time and commitment, it gets enjoyable after seven or eight ML seasons when your default and youth list players develop into top class footballers, but it is a hard slog.

How is it possible that sensei Kazuki Ito would not steal the spotlight? :P :D :)
The irony is that when the retro games were not retro, back in the days in our college pes 1vs1 or 2v2 parties & toyrneys, we used to watch the whole entrance scene, it was like a friends ritual, just until the screen that show who refs the match. When this was Kazuki Ito we used to blame and damn everything, or even restart the game!!! In case we played it, we played very conservative game, like a different PES, where we just made cautious passing game in defense until the clock run!! :P In any different case the match used to become a Rodeo, where mr. Kazuki Ito used to get all the lights, and most time the game was interrupted by elimination, cause someone's team was disqualified due to 5 red cards!!!

In today's PES and every modern or latest PES, specially after 2010, where the referees are nerfed, resulting to games without any fouls or penalties, and hardly one yellow card every 2-3 games, i really miss Kazuki Ito. Each time i launch a retro version i always pick Kazuki Ito as the game referee, to feel the magic again!!! :)

The result is , as bad and unwanted he was in the golden era, the more necessary he is in today's games!

Yeah PES 5 was the un-apologetic, experimental simulation attempt by Konami. They understood at the time of release that it was going to be polarizing, but it was going to be authentic. I think PES 6 the result of feedback that the game was too frustrating and less accessible for casual players and thus they toned it down.

This is basically a less severe precursor to the PES 2014 vs PES 15 - present u-turn Konami took after fan pressure. Difference being is that PES 6 is still a superb game grounded in a balance of fun & reality in it's own right..

When I was trying to decidide between PES 5 and PES 6 to start ML, I tried PES 6 for two reasons:
I love the R2 close control feature added in it.
I felt the ball physics more free.

But I'm curious with the PES 5's depth. When I've enough with the PES 6's adventure, I'm going to go back one year more.

The more and more I play the Golden Era titles the more and more PES3 pulls away from the rest.

Matches are so much more competitive and compact. Although it's all preference at the end of the day, and maybe PES3 simply suits my style of play better.

Funny, upon release I was so happy with the introduction of the long press 'man over' pass. Now I think PES was no worse off without it.

When I've enough with the PES 6's adventure, I'm going to go back one year more.
That's the beauty of having so many classic games to choose from. You don't have to "commit" to one for a whole year until the new one comes out to "improve" a couple of trivial things. You can take these games as they are, that they all have pro's & cons and that none of them are perfect but they're really, really great in small doses and you get some healthy quality time with each title before the relationship becomes strained and you see the flaws. Kind of like women...

Funny, upon release I was so happy with the introduction of the long press 'man over' pass. Now I think PES was no worse off without it.
At the risk of looking foolish, can you explain what is mean't by the "long press 'man over' pass"? I feel a bit dumb but i don't think i've heard this term before, is it not the lofted throughball?

That's the beauty of having so many classic games to choose from. You don't have to "commit" to one for a whole year until the new one comes out to "improve" a couple of trivial things. You can take these games as they are, that they all have pro's & cons and that none of them are perfect but they're really, really great in small doses and you get some healthy quality time with each title before the relationship becomes strained and you see the flaws. Kind of like women...

At the risk of looking foolish, can you explain what is mean't by the "long press 'man over' pass"? I feel a bit dumb but i don't think i've heard this term before, is it not the lofted throughball?
I think he means , when you hold the pass button pressed for more time than a single tap and the ball goes to a player further than you aim.
Imagine you are the RB in a 4-‘man d-line RB-CB-CB-LB.
If you press once (X) the ball goes to the CB five meters near you. If you press the pass and you keep the button pressed it goes to the other CB the far one, ten letters from you.
Iirc it was introduced in pes4 or 5?

@slamsoze Yeah that was introduced in PES 4. But if that's the case then i don't understand how PES would've been no worse off without it as introduced more range in your passing and is a welcome and crucial addition.

@slamsoze Yeah that was introduced in PES 4. But if that's the case then i don't understand how PES would've been no worse off without it as introduced more range in your passing and is a welcome and crucial addition.
That’s something the OP knows what he meant.
Btw will you make series of a more @modern” game? Assuming that you have a high-end pc, based on your beautiful modes and the way you use the camera modes and cosmetic, plus the crazy commentary, I think a 2011/12/13/14 or 15 would look brilliant.Although newer games are more “hostile” to the way you play competition (play all games style)

That’s something the OP knows what he meant.
Btw will you make series of a more @modern” game? Assuming that you have a high-end pc, based on your beautiful modes and the way you use the camera modes and cosmetic, plus the crazy commentary, I think a 2011/12/13/14 or 15 would look brilliant.Although newer games are more “hostile” to the way you play competition (play all games style)
I definately will, i'm working my way through them. After my CL i'll do WC 2006 on PES 6 then i'll move onto the other ones. I've got them all installed on my PC haha.

I was thinking about doing Euro 2008 on PES 2008 but i've got more chance of shitting in the Queens handbag than finding the patch files for that online sadly.

It is indeed what I meant. Follows on from what I said previously regarding style of playing. I don't lament the inability to play the longer pass as I'm happier with the shorter one. Plus I find the AI teammates' movement more intelligent in PES3, and the controls more reliable in picking out the pass.

I've found my pattern of play is a little samey in PESes 4-6. Because of that long press pass I can work it out to the wing too easily and too quickly, getting in behind the defence. I need to be more savvy in PES3.

I fear this may give the impression I don't rate 4-6. They are incredible and I still have tremendous fun playing them.

That's the beauty of having so many classic games to choose from. You don't have to "commit" to one for a whole year until the new one comes out to "improve" a couple of trivial things.

You make a great point here. It's a wonderful banquet, a buffet of classic games. I'd very much include the PS1 games in that as well. I've played ISS Pro Evolution (and 2), PES 1-6 and PES 2019 in the last few days. That you can probably get a PS1, PS2 and all the former games for the same price I paid for the latter (and weakest of all nine) - what a time to be alive!

It is indeed what I meant. Follows on from what I said previously regarding style of playing. I don't lament the inability to play the longer pass as I'm happier with the shorter one. Plus I find the AI teammates' movement more intelligent in PES3, and the controls more reliable in picking out the pass.

I've found my pattern of play is a little samey in PESes 4-6. Because of that long press pass I can work it out to the wing too easily and too quickly, getting in behind the defence. I need to be more savvy in PES3.

I fear this may give the impression I don't rate 4-6. They are incredible and I still have tremendous fun playing them.

You make a great point here. It's a wonderful banquet, a buffet of classic games. I'd very much include the PS1 games in that as well. I've played ISS Pro Evolution (and 2), PES 1-6 and PES 2019 in the last few days. That you can probably get a PS1, PS2 and all the former games for the same price I paid for the latter (and weakest of all nine) - what a time to be alive!
You know dude , PES3 except for its movement animations, which are limited cause of 2003’s technology limits, to tiny motion clips, has a very unique technology. It is like the urban legend about the iPhone (that it was alien technology discovered in the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico) :P :P :P
I have the same theory about PES3, it was an alien artifact discovered by KONAMI, that’s why after on 4-5-6 they tried to copy it, with similar but not equal success!!!! :D :D
I am kidding obviously, but it has a unique physics system that they could not reproduce again 100%. In a hyperbole I could say that that ball physics go as PES3>We9LE=PES 2019, or at least PES3=we9le=PES2019.
I posted again, that back in 2004 if you read old forums, the majority PC players used to complain,about its slowdowns, cause despite it was a bad ps2 port for PC, it overconsumed the CPU and GPU sources, having god-tier technology requirements for that epoch.
Even today in my 2014 laptop , it is the only old PES, that in some cases it drops FPS by 50%, proving how demanding its engine is.

@MafiaMurderBag: Another great episode of yours. My FC Porto still has good chances to go through! I remember we played with a 3-3-4 formation in that season, though mostly on domestic matches, with Bosingwa - who back then was just a winger, recently adapted to the RB position - as a...centreback! Our manager was Co Adriaanse, a guy who expelled McCarthy from one of the team's training sessions because he appeared on the pitch with dreadlocks :LOL:

About the NBA2K series, I don't think the common PES/FIFA fan is aware of how incredibly subpar both football games have been so far when compared with NBA2K, particularly that game's versions of the early 10s decade. It's on a league of its own. One example of this: I've been able to play full games of 48 minutes each (the whole length of a real-life NBA matchup) as early as in NBA2K10/11, having not only a realistic gameplay but realistic team/player stats as well; while on PES and FIFA, ten years later and we're still clinging to the typical 10/15 min. match length - so we haven't evolved at all since the ISS days. We haven't even pushed this boundary of innovation onto, say, the 30 min. match length, let alone a full 90 min match.

@mattmid: It's too good to be true, I think Zamenhof photoshopped his head in Ivarov's body in that pic. Probably to impress a lady...

Interesting take. I don't feel too guilty about it as long driven passes to further away players or out wide are a part of real football anyway and i appreciate the freedom to be able to do that. I play on the highest difficulty i can anyway so even if my winger was unmarked and available on the flank and i get to him, he's likely to be pressed as soon as the defense realizes where the pass is going.

And yes we really are spoiled for choice and being contempt is a wonderful feeling.

You know dude , PES3 except for its movement animations, which are limited cause of 2003’s technology limits, to tiny motion clips, has a very unique technology. It is like the urban legend about the iPhone (that it was alien technology discovered in the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico) :P :P :P
I have the same theory about PES3, it was an alien artifact discovered by KONAMI, that’s why after on 4-5-6 they tried to copy it, with similar but not equal success!!!! :D :D
I am kidding obviously, but it has a unique physics system that they could not reproduce again 100%. In a hyperbole I could say that that ball physics go as PES3>We9LE=PES 2019, or at least PES3=we9le=PES2019.
I posted again, that back in 2004 if you read old forums, the majority PC players used to complain,about its slowdowns, cause despite it was a bad ps2 port for PC, it overconsumed the CPU and GPU sources, having god-tier technology requirements for that epoch.
Even today in my 2014 laptop , it is the only old PES, that in some cases it drops FPS by 50%, proving how demanding its engine is.
I'm really looking forward to playing more of PES 3/WE7, You guys do a great job selling it that's for sure. Iv'e played small bits of it over the last couple of weeks and it's interesting, On the pitch - it doesn't even feel like a primitive, predecessor; It just feels like a totally different project. The fundamentals of PES are all there but the weight and responsiveness of the players and of course the ball physics, It's a totally different experience and you can't play this game the same way you play PES 5 or 6.

@MafiaMurderBag: Another great episode of yours. My FC Porto still has good chances to go through! I remember we played with a 3-3-4 formation in that season, though mostly on domestic matches, with Bosingwa - who back then was just a winger, recently adapted to the RB position - as a...centreback! Our manager was Co Adriaanse, a guy who expelled McCarthy from one of the team's training sessions because he appeared on the pitch with dreadlocks :LOL:

About the NBA2K series, I don't think the common PES/FIFA fan is aware of how incredibly subpar both football games have been so far when compared with NBA2K, particularly that game's versions of the early 10s decade. It's on a league of its own. One example of this: I've been able to play full games of 48 minutes each (the whole length of a real-life NBA matchup) as early as in NBA2K10/11, having not only a realistic gameplay but realistic team/player stats as well; while on PES and FIFA, ten years later and we're still clinging to the typical 10/15 min. match length - so we haven't evolved at all since the ISS days. We haven't even pushed this boundary of innovation onto, say, the 30 min. match length, let alone a full 90 min match.
Thankyou Miguel. Porto have been struggling since their perfect start against favorites Inter on MD1 but their slowly getting there. Even though this is post Mourinho exodus, they still have a fun squad of memorable players and the reminder of the curse of Brazilian & Argentine players not fulfilling their full potential is captured in a time capsule in this game, with Diego & Lucho Gonzalez present in the teams and a pre Lyon Lisandro Lopez. I've never heard the dreadlock story, I do remember him having braids and in this patch he's depicted with a shaved head, would that have been accurate - Was that his response to his managers angenda on the dreads? :LOL:

It's funny how far players personal appearances have come since then, if Benny's dreads where about as wild as it got, how would he have coped with the Instagram players of today more concerned about their fashion and hair dye then their duties to their clubs? I remember when Pogba returned to Man Utd, he even got an announcement trailer with the budget and production quality of a Marvel Superhero movie!

Love the immersive look of those NBA2K games, This isn't retro it's 2K19 but i was scrolling through twitter and if it wasn't for the HUD and player icons, i would've thought it was footage from a real fixture.

Well i think the reason why we don't have 90 minute matches on Football games is because their not designed to condense the ebb & flow of a match into 90 mins, it's designed to be a compromise for 10-12 minute matches. I've tried playing matches with the highest match time the games allow and they usually just end up being high-scoring affairs as the games don't replicate the way players slow down and tire realistically. Very few football matches are end to end for 90 minutes and devs just don't want to convey that in the average 12 minute match.

The only way you can kind get the slower, plodding feel of a football match on the longest match time currently in my opinion, is playing on full manual, with another human, as the AI won't be manual and will always have the unrealistic edge over you in this environment.

But like most of us i imagine i don't have any friends that give a shit about realistic football so i've got more chance of having a threesome with 2 other hot J-Pop singers than experiencing the pleasure of manual football with another human being with my own eyes in this lifetime.

pes 3/we 7i, pes 4/we 8i and pes 6.
What, no WE9:LE!?

Interesting take. I don't feel too guilty about it as long driven passes to further away players or out wide are a part of real football anyway and i appreciate the freedom to be able to do that. I play on the highest difficulty i can anyway so even if my winger was unmarked and available on the flank and i get to him, he's likely to be pressed as soon as the defense realizes where the pass is going.

And yes we really are spoiled for choice and being contempt is a wonderful feeling.

I'm really looking forward to playing more of PES 3/WE7, You guys do a great job selling it that's for sure. Iv'e played small bits of it over the last couple of weeks and it's interesting, On the pitch - it doesn't even feel like a primitive, predecessor; It just feels like a totally different project. The fundamentals of PES are all there but the weight and responsiveness of the players and of course the ball physics, It's a totally different experience and you can't play this game the same way you play PES 5 or 6.

Thankyou Miguel. Porto have been struggling since their perfect start against favorites Inter on MD1 but their slowly getting there. Even though this is post Mourinho exodus, they still have a fun squad of memorable players and the reminder of the curse of Brazilian & Argentine players not fulfilling their full potential is captured in a time capsule in this game, with Diego & Lucho Gonzalez present in the teams and a pre Lyon Lisandro Lopez. I've never heard the dreadlock story, I do remember him having braids and in this patch he's depicted with a shaved head, would that have been accurate - Was that his response to his managers angenda on the dreads? :LOL:

It's funny how far players personal appearances have come since then, if Benny's dreads where about as wild as it got, how would he have coped with the Instagram players of today more concerned about their fashion and hair dye then their duties to their clubs? I remember when Pogba returned to Man Utd, he even got an announcement trailer with the budget and production quality of a Marvel Superhero movie!

Love the immersive look of those NBA2K games, This isn't retro it's 2K19 but i was scrolling through twitter and if it wasn't for the HUD and player icons, i would've thought it was footage from a real fixture.

Well i think the reason why we don't have 90 minute matches on Football games is because their not designed to condense the ebb & flow of a match into 90 mins, it's designed to be a compromise for 10-12 minute matches. I've tried playing matches with the highest match time the games allow and they usually just end up being high-scoring affairs as the games don't replicate the way players slow down and tire realistically. Very few football matches are end to end for 90 minutes and devs just don't want to convey that in the average 12 minute match.

The only way you can kind get the slower, plodding feel of a football match on the longest match time currently in my opinion, is playing on full manual, with another human, as the AI won't be manual and will always have the unrealistic edge over you in this environment.

But like most of us i imagine i don't have any friends that give a shit about realistic football so i've got more chance of having a threesome with 2 other hot J-Pop singers than experiencing the pleasure of manual football with another human being with my own eyes in this lifetime.

I guess everything - including my preference for PES3 - might change as I move up the gears. Right now I'm playing on the middling difficulty settings and there's plenty scope for change as the CPU gets more challenging. I don't think I'll ever get to my back-in-the-day levels of ability (I'd have to leave my job and girlfriend for starters) but there's certainly room for improvement!

You're right about PES3 - it's a marked difference to both PES2 or 4. Loosely, I'd group PES1-2 and PES4-6 together with PES3 as a wholly different experience.

That's the first time I've seen NBA 2K19. Wow. Blows PES and FIFA 2019 out of the water for realism.

PES 3 is definitely the most difficult PES game to go back to after a long gap from playing it, @Flipper the Priest , and I doubt you will find any later PES game that comes close to the gameplay, player individuality and ball physics.

You should stick with trying to get up to the top difficulty level in the ML. It took me six seasons to win Division One at the hardest level when I returned to the game.

:OT:

And we thought that an odd number calendar year means no big international football tournament ?

Wrong, the UEFA Nations League Finals are coming up next month. The Dinner can hardly contain his excitement.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

not at all... that game has even worse CPU AI than pes 5. such a pitty, because gameplay was good.

btw, here are the best patches for pes 2008 i found so far with working links, so you can do video clips:

https://www.pesoccerworld.com/descargar/psw-option-file-v1-0-by-ingeniero24-2216.html
https://www.pesoccerworld.com/descargar/psw-option-file-update-v1-01-by-ingeniero24-2248.html

https://www.pesoccerworld.com/descargar/fkuyt-mix-patch-v1-0-2025.html

put all patch files in .img folder of kitserver, that's all (prior to that, you have to rename folders to, for example, cv_0.img)

https://www.pesoccerworld.com/descargar/kitserver-7-4-0-by-juce-2574.html

:OT:

And we thought that an odd number calendar year means no big international football tournament ?

Wrong, the UEFA Nations League Finals are coming up next month. The Dinner can hardly contain his excitement.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:
And we have the Women's World Cup and Copa America too.

not at all... that game has even worse CPU AI than pes 5. such a pitty, because gameplay was good.

btw, here are the best patches for pes 2008 i found so far with working links, so you can do video clips:

Thanks for these mate, i do appreciate it. I've got a Euro 2008 patch, found some kits for the 16 teams too and a seperate option file, the only thing which i can't seem to track down is working links for the Stadiums used in the tournament sadly. I don't know if it's possible to convert PES 6 Stadiums to PES 2008 either, I've asked about but no one seems to be getting back to me haha.

And we have the Women's World Cup and Copa America too.

Women's World Cup and Copa America are legit international tourments.

Thanks for these mate, i do appreciate it. I've got a Euro 2008 patch, found some kits for the 16 teams too and a seperate option file, the only thing which i can't seem to track down is working links for the Stadiums used in the tournament sadly. I don't know if it's possible to convert PES 6 Stadiums to PES 2008 either, I've asked about but no one seems to be getting back to me haha.

Women's World Cup and the Copa America are at least legitimate international tournaments and not FIFA or UEFA contrivances to make football a year-round television and advertising slugathon designed to drain the last drop of passion and class from our game.

And why the hell is the European Cup Final now held in June ?

:RANT::RANT::RANT:

you are welcome.

btw, could you re-upload that euro 2008 patch? the links for it are all gone.

Back
Top Bottom