The Retro-PES Corner

Good stuff and quote of the week :) Jaric: The new Mihajlovic, as his mother calls him.

@mattmid, mate, you would almost think that was the plan with scheduling all the EFL playoffs at "telly time" in the late evening instead of football fan time in the afternoon.

But surely not, I mean it's not like Sky have ever done anything underhand before like say, hacking a broadcast competitors set-top box and publishing the hacked access codes on the web.

Get ready for the EFL playoffs next season taking place in Qatar.

:shiver::shiver::shiver:

Given the temperatures I'd assume the play offs would take place in Nov/Dec in the middle of the season. Sounds like just the sort of thing tv might come up with!

Hello guys, i hope i'm on the right place to ask about this, but as much as i liked a lot in PES 2019 i really can't enjoy ML because of scripting in higher difficulties, not entering in details, but most of people already know about that.

Which PES do you guys think that is the most balanced between challenge/fairness in that regard? I don't mind graphics, i just want a balanced and fun experience and if possible with patches for updated/real teams, but no problem if there's not. Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking - from the golden age - PESes 3, 5 and 6 are held in the highest regard.

For me it's PES 3. For most purists it's probably PES 5. And because it's the most-patched there's still a very strong PES 6 community.

I was PES-daft back in said era and I've been revisiting them, and this forum, only recently. This thread is great. It has loads of PES and Winning Eleven titles available to download as standalone games. Would be a great place to start!

Last edited:
Generally speaking - from the golden age - PESes 3, 5 and 6 are held in the highest regard.

For me it's PES 3. For most purists it's probably PES 5. And because it's the most-patched there's still a very strong PES 6 community.

I was PES-daft back in said era and I've been revisiting them, and this forum, only recently. This thread is great. It has loads of PES and Winning Eleven titles available to download as standalone games. Would be a great place to start!

From what i saw i really need to try PES 5/6 as i don't remember so much, played in my childhood A LOT :D; And a more recent one from what i remember and saw people saying PES 13 had great features in ML/BAL and good gameplay too, i will try them all, thanks mate!

From what i saw i really need to try PES 5/6 as i don't remember so much, played in my childhood A LOT :D; And a more recent one from what i remember and saw people saying PES 13 had great features in ML/BAL and good gameplay too, i will try them all, thanks mate!
The most content for ML quality wise is in PES 2010 and PES 2011, which is more ergonomic . The most content by quantity locates in ML of PES 2012, scouting, cutscenes,team talk, budget allocation, club staff, graphs and stats for everything.

Last edited:
Just replace the word "RSC" with "evo-web" and it's good to go.
Welp, in that case here's my submission. Boukhari's Cross/Shot against Arsenal from Episode 2 of my Champions League!

You know, it feels unreal. It's like we've cheated the game or something. I see countless people putting in time, money and energy onto these microtransaction platforms, only to get more frustrated the more they play. On the other hand, here we are, having fun and being genuinely entertained with games that run on every PC, cost almost nothing and only seem to get more entertaining as they age. Plus, you don't have to spend more money on microtransactions, just PES Points! :DD
...and you have more than 20 years of game iterations to play!
Maybe we're the crazy ones, who knows...? :LOL:
I think the government are moving in close on a legislation to ban loot boxes (Or at least ban minors from purchasing them, which is about as effective as stopping minors playing GTA). I get it, dev's want to make an income after the game has shipped yadda yadda but it's the ethics of it.

There's not only a culture of if you don't play this and ain't following the online culture of gaming and maximizing your online position, then you're not a trendy person but also that there's a lot people out there who don't have the rationale to consent to paying for this shit. A lot of young people especially who don't have the foresight to fathom the long term consequences of buying loot boxes, UT and myClub packs. It's often been hand waived over the last 5 years in terms of seriousness because it's under the bezel of being "Gamez" and "nothing serious" But what we all know is that it's a form of gambling, which is of course dangerous and addictive.

Just imagine we are a generation that will become elderly eventually but we won't be knitting jumpers, reading books
or feeding ducks in the park, we'll still be playing video games but as our motor skills and hand eye co-ordination deteriorates, spending more money then ever online to gain any sort of advantage over the competetion online.

The most content for ML quality wise is in PES 2010 and PES 2011, which is more ergonomic . The most content by quantity locates in ML of PES 2012, scouting, cutscenes,team talk, budget allocation, club staff, graphs and stats for everything.

That looks good, damn i will need to try them all to discover my favorite :DD, thanks for the suggestions

Can this part of the internet not become political, please? It's inescapable everywhere else, and this is an escape from the cloud of it all. Also, political talk is banned here.

I was really aiming my fire at those people who expect games on their smartphones, tablets and laptops to be free and then complain loudly about in-game ads, loot boxes, card packs or other tat being offered as micro-transaction purchases.

I don't understand the younger generation of gamer (some not all), who want a free cup of coffee and expect it be made of beans excreted out the ass of a civet cat and then roasted by blind monks at the top of a mountain.

Games used to cost a tonne of money, forty, fifty or sixty quid, depending on where you lived.

We wonder why proper gaming died ?

Does that relate to my post about Lootboxes too?
For now, no, but in the past a poster has taken exception to the idea that gambling should be controlled, even if it's clearly aimed at kids (because it should be parents, not governments). When you get to this level of discussion, it immediately becomes political. So we're best to avoid it. Especially when it's something that can easily escalate (I have a very strong opinion on this one - but the trouble is, so do a lot of people, and this isn't the place for that).

@MafiaMurderBag: I just read this article, and without getting too political, instead focusing more on the gaming side of it, I don't understand why we came down to this. There's hundreds, if not thousands of sports games that anyone can play at any time, some even are dirt cheap nowadays. Probably this is a problem of mindset. People want to fit in, join the latest fashions, feel included. I just don't care, I'll play whatever game I feel like playing and enjoy the most, regardless of it being older or more recent, but indeed the majority of people are not like that.

This is how the world works though. If for some reason we got the most famous twitch/youtube PES streamers to play and broadcast PES3 for a week, the price of the game would skyrocket for it'd suddenly become cool, socially accepted to play it.

Hello guys, i hope i'm on the right place to ask about this, but as much as i liked a lot in PES 2019 i really can't enjoy ML because of scripting in higher difficulties, not entering in details, but most of people already know about that.

Which PES do you guys think that is the most balanced between challenge/fairness in that regard? I don't mind graphics, i just want a balanced and fun experience and if possible with patches for updated/real teams, but no problem if there's not. Thanks in advance!

2nd Gen: WE7 International/PES 3 is at the top. PES 4 is a close second choice and PES 5 a decent 3rd choice.
3rd Gen: PES 2012.
4th Gen: PES 2014 and 2015 as second choice.

1. pes 3/we 7i
2. pes 6
3. pes 4/we 8i

@MafiaMurderBag: I just read this article, and without getting too political, instead focusing more on the gaming side of it, I don't understand why we came down to this. There's hundreds, if not thousands of sports games that anyone can play at any time, some even are dirt cheap nowadays. Probably this is a problem of mindset. People want to fit in, join the latest fashions, feel included. I just don't care, I'll play whatever game I feel like playing and enjoy the most, regardless of it being older or more recent, but indeed the majority of people are not like that.

This is how the world works though. If for some reason we got the most famous twitch/youtube PES streamers to play and broadcast PES3 for a week, the price of the game would skyrocket for it'd suddenly become cool, socially accepted to play it.

Nah miggy, they would whinge about how tough it is and the lack of Myclub or some other bollox.

BTW, PSP PES play you have told me about. Is that the PSP Vita ? That one has analogue sticks I think.

@WhoAteMeDinner: No, it's just a PSP - the PS Vita came out later on but sadly it didn't get any dedicated PES games for it. While the Vita has two analog sticks which are very similar to the one on a PlayStation controller, as you can see in that picture, the PSP only has one - and my god, is it unergonomic...

@WhoAteMeDinner: No, it's just a PSP - the PS Vita came out later on but sadly it didn't get any dedicated PES games for it. While the Vita has two analog sticks which are very similar to the one on a PlayStation controller, as you can see in that picture, the PSP only has one - and my god, is it unergonomic...

@miguelfcp , thanks mate. So are the Vita versions of early PES titles direct ports from
the consoles of the time ?

The analogue stick issue is a breaker for me playing PES, have not used a d-pad ever. The Vita analogue sticks look like proper ones unlike the PSP you mentioned.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Only the PSP has PES games, the Vita didn't get any. And yes, the PSP versions are practically indistinguishable from the PS2 versions, except for PES5 and PES6 which didn't have a lot of the features of PS2 PES. And the PSP version only got more than one stadium available to play in after PES2010 or PES2011, can't quite remember.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Only the PSP has PES games, the Vita didn't get any. And yes, the PSP versions are practically indistinguishable from the PS2 versions, except for PES5 and PES6 which didn't have a lot of the features of PS2 PES. And the PSP version only got more than one stadium available to play in after PES2010 or PES2011, can't quite remember.

Thanks man, not for me then.

Good luck today and in the 2nd leg @mattmid, hope you are not too disappointed either way dude.

:THINK::THINK::THINK:

Thanks M'Dinner. I reserve the right to change my mind come thursday evening :LOL: but no, the more I've thought about it as much as it'll be great if we can win the play offs, if we don't then we should have another season of being up and around the top few again with a bit of luck which makes for an enjoyable season. These last four years have made a nice change challenging for promotion in Lge 2 and then Lge 1. Particularly after many years of final day escapes during the 90's when it would often go to the wire. If we go up then I can see it being another one of those! I was saying to @miguelfcp the other day, the day I will always remember was at Bradford in 1998 when we won 3-1 there on the final day to stay up and in the process sent a certain club called Man City down to League 1. Wonder what ever happened to them? :LOL:

2nd leg? @mattmid, are you playing for a local team? Love hearing stories like these.

No, he just meant my team :)

I as usual agree totally matters mate. Can we ever find something to fight about ?
:NO::NO::NO:

Oh and given how EFL League One and Two look like the old Division One back before 1992. Pompey are in good company.

Back
Top Bottom