The Retro-PES Corner

Gents, can PSP PES games really be as good as PlayStation Two original versions ? Given it the PS2 game engine ? Maybe the pick up and play nature of the portable game just is a nice pace change ?

Oh and way back, @MafiaMurderBag , Soccer America International looks amazing for that time, as dynamic as PES 3. Only almost too much movement, the camera seems to jerk around each time a player receives a pass. You would be puking up after a couple of hours play for sure.

im playing pes2013 psp on my phone and it works really well as a quick game to pick up and play

im playing pes2013 psp on my phone and it works really well as a quick game to pick up and play
Why not pes 2014? (I know it's not much of a difference), but that's the last release of the classic pes games.

@WhoAteMeDinner

Pes PSP is pretty much the same apart from the graphics as it's downscaled (e.g. The crowd sprites are static). And I think it runs on 30fps, but is playable.

I've moved on from playing it on the psp to my android phone (I have the Asus ROG phone, which makes it very playable with the l and r triggers it offers). Through emulation, the graphics are very sharpened.

Also here's a latest update to my 1989 mod:

In total 44 teams out of 128 have been retro'd....that doesn't include the international teams (what do you guys say, should I include international kits from the 80's?)

The other day I was considering maybe to find someone to do the commentary for the game as I have managed to rip the audio file, this makes it possible to attempt making realistic commentary over the Oxford English jon champion provides but this itself would be a big project (not to mention Jim beglin also has lines in the game) and there are countless audio files to go through. There's two ways of doing, it can be possible to only record the main commentary. Or record the main commentary and the player names (which will have to be players from the 80's and this is where it would be a massive project)

Anyhoo, am keeping a pace of doing one team per day and on the weekends trying to do at least 6. If I keep up with this pattern, I expect the kits to be done by 15 weeks (have added in contingencies). After this, the next steps would be to edit the rosters (through a hex hack)...then it will be ready for beta testing.

You could even ditch the co-commentator in favour of more comments by the main commentator.
Don't think I've ever heard commentary in a football game that sounded like actual commentary in a real game.

Anyone want to take a chance with the commentary? I'll post back soon to really find out the number of audio files involved.

I hate the sound of my own voice lol. Might even come back in the future to work on the commentary

If it's anything like the regular pes's there'll be thousands. I've looked through pes6 before and for most things there's 5 different variations of the same thing, such as hits in a low cross, sends it in low, crosses on the floor, a low cross, drives it in low - all variatiosn for a low cross, and so on. I guess as it's a handheld there would be less though?

There's a couple of good computer voices online but the trouble is there's no context to their speech, it's just a normal spoken word. It would probably work fine for player names but anything where there's a bit of excitement in the voice in the real commentary would sound flat and lifeless.

@WhoAteMeDinner I know Zamenhof wouldn't have :LOL: That's if he was even available to play. Really pleased it was Kompany that got it, seems a real nice bloke and deserves that moment.

If it's anything like the regular pes's there'll be thousands. I've looked through pes6 before and for most things there's 5 different variations of the same thing, such as hits in a low cross, sends it in low, crosses on the floor, a low cross, drives it in low - all variatiosn for a low cross, and so on. I guess as it's a handheld there would be less though?

There's a couple of good computer voices online but the trouble is there's no context to their speech, it's just a normal spoken word. It would probably work fine for player names but anything where there's a bit of excitement in the voice in the real commentary would sound flat and lifeless.

@WhoAteMeDinner I know Zamenhof wouldn't have :LOL: That's if he was even available to play. Really pleased it was Kompany that got it, seems a real nice bloke and deserves that moment.

@mattmid , yeh Kompany is a real leader and an old shool pro. Like a Paul McGrath or a Steve Bruce.

@WhoAteMeDinner: I know I can't pull you away from your dear PS2, but if you set up a PC PSP emulator and play a PSP PES game, you'll see why I always say it's one of the best retro-PES experiences - you could try it on an actual PSP, but both the smaller screen and the dreadful "analog" "stick" (more like, sliding thingy that's as unergonomic as it gets) could hinder your experience with it.

Oh, and Ivarov would totally save Kompany's shot, but on the next play he'd let in a much simpler shot. :DD

@jajabinx35: I have thought about undertaking such a project, despite how much work it'd take. I can't help you with english commentary as my spoken english isn't quite as good as that (yet), but one day I'll certainly come up with my portuguese commentary for a PES game.

@WhoAteMeDinner: I know I can't pull you away from your dear PS2, but if you set up a PC PSP emulator and play a PSP PES game, you'll see why I always say it's one of the best retro-PES experiences - you could try it on an actual PSP, but both the smaller screen and the dreadful "analog" "stick" (more like, sliding thingy that's as unergonomic as it gets) could hinder your experience with it.

Oh, and Ivarov would totally save Kompany's shot, but on the next play he'd let in a much simpler shot. :DD

@jajabinx35: I have thought about undertaking such a project, despite how much work it'd take. I can't help you with english commentary as my spoken english isn't quite as good as that (yet), but one day I'll certainly come up with my portuguese commentary for a PES game.
Well, there is a Portuguese commentary in the version I'm modifying lol. Will look back on this as the mod progresses

Aaaand yep, it's a huge project. - There are just over 6000 audio files. Sadly, they are all mixed (so I can't really locate the main commentary and leave out the players name).

Still might look into this though in the future. - Would be fun to do.

There are actually lines in the game I've never heard before. I'm sure I remember reading about one where Brackley and Brooking start arguing or something.

Liverpool's victory does have a taste of retro-Pes.. doesn't it? Back in the days, big comebacks didn't feel scripted!

It sure did @Madmac79 , PES 3 again was legendary for completely random comebacks and you could never anticipate whether any ML league game would be scoreless draw slug out or a crazy goal bonanza.

And btw, has anyone ever got one of their centre-backs in PES-retro games
to blast in an outside the box screamer like Vincent Kompany did ?

That is what makes the old PES games so great, they were often even tougher than reality in terms of difficulty.

Oh and using Der Kaiser as a central defender does not count.....

:NONO::NONO::NONO:

Last edited:

Thanks miggy mate.

:OT:

Guys, have a thought for our British Retro-PES comrades this week. In particular poor old @mattmid .
How is his mattness expected to fuel up the Matt Maserati for an epic five and a half our journey to Sunderland (at max speed), when yet another royal baby has appeared on the blue blood welfare benefits scene ? The British public financial burden is massive as all these royal types live to about 120 these days.

Poor guys, they could at least call the baby Wayne.

:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Hi everyone! After reading @miguelfcp articles in retropes website, and after viewing some @MafiaMurderBag videos.
I decided go back to PES 6 and start a ML a few months ago. Nice choice after being annoyed with PES 2019 this season. I've had really exciting retro moments. I will share a goal compilation soon.
Go on with RetroPes, guys!
Welcome to The Retro Corner! Always nice to have another fellow gamer recognize that games don't have expiry dates and that great games are timeless.

:SHHH::SHHH:
:OT:

Guys, have a thought for our British Retro-PES comrades this week. In particular poor old @mattmid .
How is his mattness expected to fuel up the Matt Maserati for an epic five and a half our journey to Sunderland (at max speed), when yet another royal baby has appeared on the blue blood welfare benefits scene ? The British public financial burden is massive as all these royal types live to about 120 these days.

Poor guys, they could at least call the baby Wayne.

:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

He's going to be watching it on Sky instead! Heresy perhaps but needs must.:SHHH:

:SHHH::SHHH:

He's going to be watching it on Sky instead! Heresy perhaps but needs must.:SHHH:

@mattmid, mate, you would almost think that was the plan with scheduling all the EFL playoffs at "telly time" in the late evening instead of football fan time in the afternoon.

But surely not, I mean it's not like Sky have ever done anything underhand before like say, hacking a broadcast competitors set-top box and publishing the hacked access codes on the web.

Get ready for the EFL playoffs next season taking place in Qatar.

:shiver::shiver::shiver:

@amartingil: The retro-PES legion grows! :PIRATE: Your post reminded me, we should bring back the Retro-PES Goal of the Week challenge. It was a hit here a while ago.

New on the Retro Sports Club:
- The Defaults: Part III
- 50 cents
- The Master League World
- Season One
- ML United: The Squad
Some more fantastic articles Miguel. I must've missed Matt's post about the form arrows, it's a novel concept and can't believe i never thought of doing it myself and i may do so on my next session. I would usually pick players based on their stats even if i knew they were on blue or grey, and take them off if they were truly struggling or fatiguing rapidly during a game.

As from my logic, sometimes you've just got to give a star player the preferential treatment as even if their on a grey arrow, it's still counterbalanced by being a phenomenal & influential player generally.

It's like sending a still pissed from the night before George Best onto or shoving a coked up Maradonna out the player tunnel. Even when it's immoral and their inebriated, They're still from another planet and it's the best hope you've got.

How many goals can we submit? We need some ground rules!

Oh and 50c for PES 3? Staggering value, It's the incredible win-win incentive of retro gaming, not only retro football. Fantastic experiences, incredible games that stand the test of time and will go down in history as the mediums greatest pieces of art, at an arguably unreasonable cheap price. Even the PS3, the previous generations mainstream platform which would be considered "old" by the contemporary snobs and spoiled brats has some titles with a legendary legacy yet because "no one" plays with it anymore, the games are cheaper than a pint of beer.

Yet people feel obligated to hand over £100 for a deluxe version of a game or you're at a handicap online on launch day and still complain their game is a piece of shit...

@WhoAteMeDinner: You kid, but I heard somewhere that the Spanish supercup could be played in Saudi Arabia. The last Italian supercup was played there as well...

@MafiaMurderBag: Many thanks man. I think either I or @mattmid posted about it on the Odyssey thread, but it was in the midst of much more info centered around the Project Odyssey concept itself, so it kind of flew below most people's radars. We've been trying it out for a while and it's a fantastic experience, it forces one to pay even more attention to what's actually happening on the pitch, for to figure out who could be on form and who's not. It's like we took off the training wheels of the PES bicycle.

That's the thing; for example, a Burchet on a down arrow will still have a better Top Speed attribute than most Defaults, however, if the arrows are hidden, how do you know if he's on a down arrow, providing you'll still see him being rather fast as ever out there? It forces you to get to know your players really well.

About the Goal of the Week, I have the post saved on the RSC forums - fortunately, or else we'd have to go through the 158 pages of the Corner just to find it! We already had the challenge going for a few weeks (and, if I'm not mistaken, exactly with the rules I'm posting below).
The Retro-PES Goal of the Week

Welcome to the RSC Goal of the Week. This is the first-ever contest in which the AI is able to participate too. Seriously, we're avant-garde as sh*t, are we not?

How to play:
- post here on the thread a video or a gif of a goal that either a human player or the CPU has scored on your experience of playing whatever Retro-PES game you're playing.
- From every Monday to Friday, you can submit one or more goals, as long as that goal was scored in that same week.
- Over the weekend, we temporarily close the contest for everyone to vote on their favourite goals on Saturday and Sunday.
- After the winner is picked, Monday comes and it's a new week of more great goals to be submitted - rinse and repeat until we're old enough that our eyesight does no longer allow us to read.

Submitting a goal? Fortunately even for a technologically impaired guy like me, it has never been this easy to capture and upload videos/gifs. I use Streamable to upload my potato-quality ones, it's fast and easy, but I bet there are many other options out there too. As long as everyone's able to witness accurately how splendid your goal was, anything goes.

Submitting goals scored by the CPU? Yes, you can submit goals the AI scored on you too. The purpose of this is also to rub the bellies of those who will in the future enslave us, so we can fall in their good graces rightaway and see if we get out of it. You're welcome. But mainly, the priority is to watch great goals on great Retro-PES games, regardless of who or what scored, and whether it was RSC member X or Y submitting it.

Posting it on the thread:
Alongside the video/gif, do tell us:
- the player who scored
- the Retro-PES game and platform used
- further details about the goal, if you want.

Submitting more than one goal? Please add a number to your post, like "#1 Fouque, PES5 PC", "#2 Jaric PES6 PS2" for it to be easier for the voters to refer to the goal they're voting for.

To vote - and even those who submit goals are allowed to vote with no restrictions -, remember you can only vote over the weekend. Choose the one goal you prefer by referring to the user who posted it and the number of his submission (if he submitted more than one).
If we get many people participating, we can one day allow voting for a top 3, 4, 5...for now though, every user gets one vote to vote on one goal.
Just replace the word "RSC" with "evo-web" and it's good to go.

You know, it feels unreal. It's like we've cheated the game or something. I see countless people putting in time, money and energy onto these microtransaction platforms, only to get more frustrated the more they play. On the other hand, here we are, having fun and being genuinely entertained with games that run on every PC, cost almost nothing and only seem to get more entertaining as they age. Plus, you don't have to spend more money on microtransactions, just PES Points! :DD
...and you have more than 20 years of game iterations to play!
Maybe we're the crazy ones, who knows...? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom