The Retro-PES Corner

@miguelfcp What is the difference of regen or newgen? Are both listed in the same Newcomers group?
What difficulty are you playing PES2008 PS2?

Streaming some Master League ML Defaults...

I only have 3 matches left, and it could be Game Over

https://gaming.youtube.com/user/Matt10L/live

Good game @Matt10 , I had not realised how similar PES 5 was to PES 6, amazing how much the games had changed from PES 3 and PES 2, much more passing and midfield slugathons, and harder to get shots on goal.

Can't believe how clean and cultured all you guys play PES, watched a few videos here and nobody else boots the opposition around as much as I do or put in countless crosses, (every games is a mini battle of Santiago, card count is always four or five).

Guess I am a caveman.:Y1

Good game @Matt10 , I had not realised how similar PES 5 was to PES 6, amazing how much the games had changed from PES 3 and PES 2, much more passing and midfield slugathons, and harder to get shots on goal.

Can't believe how clean and cultured all you guys play PES, watched a few videos here and nobody else boots the opposition around as much as I do or put in countless crosses, (every games is a mini battle of Santiago, card count is always four or five).

What do you mean about that ? For me it's the other way around, i have most of the time a lot more chances in pes 5/6 games, especially pes 6. PES 5 was a bit better in that regard, but then there is this harmless cpu when in possession of the ball...

What do you mean about that ? For me it's the other way around, i have most of the time a lot more chances in pes 5/6 games, especially pes 6. PES 5 was a bit better in that regard, but then there is this harmless cpu when in possession of the ball...

That is what I mean, lots more possession football in PES 5 and 6, harmless is a good way to describe it alright. But I admit I only own four PES games after PES 3 and have not played enough of the later games maybe to get really good.

My seventh season in PES 3 master league Division 2, club is Lombardia (Inter), and half of the team are still default players.

Results from five games and a cup tie.

ML Divsion 2: Pld 5 W 2 D 2 L 1 GF 3 GA 4
Div 2 Cup: Draw 3 - 3 away.

Goals mainly headers and pens. :((

@Titch Only 147? Lightweight. Don't forget the preliminary rounds too:LOL: Would be great to read how that plays out.

@miguelfcp That first save was incredible wasn't it! He is in inspired form. I'm sure for a reasonable fee he'd be open to a move (He's willing to change his name to Ivarov if necessary :SHHH: ) It was interesting that Rosenborg's first dropped points were away to bottom placed Lillestrom, a blip or a sign they are not invincible after all? We shall see. Not sure when I play them, but it's not next and that only leaves 6 more after that until half way so it's got to be fairly soon.

Look forward to the new ML. I think you should have a side goal, to try to get Minanda to play on until he gets to his 40's. He can have 15 min cameo's as a sub :D I wonder what game logic is used for retiring, whether it's random weighted by their age or whether things like how much they play the previous season are taken into account as well.

I had a cup idea based on a book I read last year. This guy went to a game in the very first preliminary round of the FA Cup and from there on followed which ever team won all the way to the Final, going to each game along the way. So drawing on that idea I think I might draw out a big World Club Cup from all the default PES6 teams. Pick a game at random and then if I win I continue with them, if I lose I continue in the next round with the team who beat me, all the way to the final. I'll have to have a preliminary round to get the numbers down to 128 so I'll pick the weakest few teams for that and start there. Hmm, I think I might run that alongside the Norwegian thing, I'd like to get started on that.

maybe you should take on the old Wimbledon team :D

The first round has L1, L2, NL and 8 from the previous round. The bottom tier in PES has 24 teams so I'll have to do a weird preliminary round with group games.

@Titch Actually the NL enter in the last (fourth?) preliminary round. Only L1 and L2 come in at round one and the 32 qualifiers from the last preliminary round.

I just downloaded that autohotkey. I'd never used it before. That'll save a ton of time entering player and team names. Just done a little test with it and it renamed all the teams in the pes editor in about three seconds. Glad I got on board with this so early :NO::LOL:

Last edited:
@wildwind: A 'regen' is a player that after retiring, appears again in the save as a 17-year-old. A newgen is a fake, created player specifically for the ML that is also spawn as a youngster. In PES2009 they do appear in the same newcomers group, I still didn't check in PES2008.
I'm playing in Top Player.

@WhoAteMeDinner: To me the style of play I employ depends on the kind of players I have. With the ML defaults I try out quick and incisive counterattacks whenever possible, and will only keep possession if I understand that there's no longer space to be taken advantage of in the counter.

@mattmid: Ivarov is a bad luck charm, better not use that name! I can't complain though, he's been playing very well since my test-ML, still I get flashes of good-old Ivarov when he fails to grab a simple, weak shot...

I'm curious to read your impressions about your matchup with Rosenborg, I want to know what makes them so powerful.

That's the beauty of this challenge, we're forced to come up with ideas on how to enjoy the same players throughout the seasons. I definitely want Minanda to stay as long as possible, and in my test-ML save in PES2009 he was already a 39-year old (and still playing regularly) so I'm positive I'll get him to the big-40. His only decent replacement is Ettori but he'll have to fight for the CMF position as well so that opens up even more space for King Minanda.

I don't about the logic of player retirement. Huylens was a 37-year-old who played a few matches with me, got a contract renewal but didn't play a single match the following season, retiring afterwards. But then again I kept Iouga until he was like 36, didn't play more than 5 minutes in a season and still kept going, asking and getting a contract renewal. I wonder how long could I keep Minanda if he's playing the vast majority of matches...

That's an interesting idea, which makes me think if there'd be enough material out there to build a Scenario Vault like the one we have for the ML but this time for the Cup/League.

@miguelfcp Yes, I'm looking forward to playing Rosenborg (I think!) to see what they are made of. I did play against them once while I was testing before completing the Eliteserien and starting it. I can't remember who I was now but I remember I lost, it would have been either Brann, Valerenga or Lillestrom as those four were the first one's made and I remember that's when I first had a couple of test games with them. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Lillestrom. Anyway, I have a feeling Opdal will need to be on his game (yet again!).

Yes, I like that Scenario Vault if we get enough material. Hmm, thinking on that, we could even set up part season saves. One idea that just came to me... Play a league through on 5 minute games or something making sure you lose all the games, so if it's at 70 minutes and it's still 0-0, score an own goal just to make sure you lose then halfway through the season re set the match time etc in general settings and the Scenario is to start from there and save the team from relegation. Perhaps not exactly like that but you get my drift. Get part season's in a particular situation, be it avoid relegation, win the league and so on.

@mattmid: Situational scenarios, that's great! Always had a blast with football videogames that had scenario modes, sadly it's not a thing anymore.

I don't know if it's because I played Pes5/We9 for a decade, but as of now I really can't get into it again at all. I tried to start several ML but to no success, I just can't get hooked.

Pes 3 on the other hand.. I've started a ML with the defaults on my beloved Lazio and I feel like it is a much more balanced and satisfying experience until now. As I already wrote in the main topic of Pes 3, the way this whole game moves feels so harmonic and true to a real match, I indeed really love the rhytm and the ball physics, it all brings me back to the soccer of middle 2000 and I'm starting questioning if this really wasn't a better game than even Pes5 at all.

I just had a wonderful game in which I was losing against none other than Pes United (!), that scored with a magnificent scissor kick in my box after an even match, only for me to find an equalizer at 5 minutes to the end with really nice header by Stremer on a cross from behind by Minanda, after the rebound of a corner. The same Stremer that saved a goal on the line just a moment later and helped me kept the draw.. it felt a lot exactly like the kind of spontaneous emergent storytelling that used to come out from older ML :D.

@Titch Actually the NL enter in the last (fourth?) preliminary round. Only L1 and L2 come in at round one and the 32 qualifiers from the last preliminary round.

I just downloaded that autohotkey. I'd never used it before. That'll save a ton of time entering player and team names. Just done a little test with it and it renamed all the teams in the pes editor in about three seconds. Glad I got on board with this so early :NO::LOL:
Yeah they do. Only thing is there aren't enough teams in game to do proper qualifiers. Essentially the 48 non league teams that would be in PES would need to become 32 to enter the first round. Unless there is a way to play with more teams...

@Titch I suppose you could use 2 option files. Have the non league one first for a round of 64 then you'd have to transfer the 32 winners over to the other option file. A bit of extra work but on the other hand think of the extra faffing around that would bring :))

Hmm yes I've worked out I would have to play over 700 games. Not including replays...

Might have to simplify stats. Seems daft spending time making teams when I'll probably only play with them once or twice. It's all about the results and reports.

Might have to simplify stats. Seems daft spending time making teams when I'll probably only play with them once or twice. It's all about the results and reports.

Yes that's true. Maybe you could do it with that fictional one you're working on. Allocate the players randomly as you said and then play it all out. If you use 128 teams you can start from there right down to a final with no messing around. And being fictional teams with randomly selected players there's no expectations.

Actually I really like that idea of yours to randomly assign the original pes players to new fictional teams

Norway Round 9

Eliteserien

Start, bouyed by their win at Sarpsborg and now unbeaten in three with 7pts out of 9, have an even tougher task on their hands as they travel to 2nd placed Stromsgodset. Incredibly Start could get to within a point of their hosts if they can pick up a win. However a loss and wins elsewhere could also see them drop to 11th.

Team News: With Salvesen not really hitting the heights of his first couple of games, the fit again Finnbogason returns to the starting line up in an otherwise unchanged team. Sandberg, a potential key man who has been missing since the third game of the season, is now just 2 weeks away from a return.

Second top scorers, Stromsgodset, field their top scorer Pedersen and Nguen who have 6 goals between them but Andersen and Gjerstrom who have three apiece have to settle for a place on the bench.

First Half:

Both strikers show their threat inside the opening 10 minutes. First Nguen muscles past Kack before dragging his shot wide and then Pedersen turns Lowe superbly before firing a fierce shot just wide. A blocked shot from Wichne and another from Segberg, this time blocked by his own man! are Start's only attcaking contribution to the first 24 minutes before Pedersen is left unmarked in the box but heads wide! Then on 24 minutes, a good move from Start find Segberg free on the edge of the box, he lets fly and scores! 0-1! Three minutes later the ball falls to Aremu who finds himself in space about 30yds out. He steadies himself and rifles a shot straight into the top corner! It's 0-2, the travelling Start fans can't believe what they are seeing. Then on 34 minutes Finboggason gets open in the box, he fires a shot in but this time the Stromsgodset keeper is equal to it and puts it out for a corner. A scrappy bit of play in the Start box on 34 minutes with defenders dwelling on the ball instead of getting rid of it ends with a goal for Nguen and it's 1-2. Just before half time Aremu finds himself in space again, steadies himself, eyes the goal... and puts it 15yds wide! Then just before the HT whistle Nguen gets free and drifts a shots that lands on the roof of the net with Opdal beaten. Almost an equaliser right on half time. HT 1-2

Second Half:

An early Start move finds them work space for Segberg, who hits a decent shot at goal but one that just goes over the bar. Then Stromsgodset get forward, the ball finds Jardi the AM, he gets past Lowe far too easily and for once Opdal is unable to bail his defence out as Jardi tucks home a neat finish. 2-2! On 57 minutes Berger hits an early ball into the box. Finboggason, under pressure, throws himself at it but can only get a glancing contact and it's easy for the keeper. A couple of minutes later the normally solid as a rock Larsen gets underneath a cross but it appears to catch Pedersen by suprise and his header is well wide. Skaanes then fires in a shot but again it's easy for the keeper. Then Stromsgodset are almost in as a through ball sees Pedersen clear and racing to get on the end of it, but Opdal gets there first to gather. End to end stuff. A ball across the six yard box evades Opdal and every one else until Berger is there to hack away at the far post. Then Pedersen works a bit of space and strikes a shot just wide although Opdal appeared to have it covered. Stromsgodset send another shot wide before a long ball from Skaanes finds Finboggason who flicks it on towards goal but it's saved. Then a good run from Pedersen ends with him finding fellow forward Andersen who has come on as a sub. Fortunately he's not even close to adding to his three goals this season and steers the chance well wide when well placed. Into the last ten minutes. Then Mos of Stromsgodset hits a first time shots that zips just wide. Bringaker, on for Wichne, hits a free kick but it's comfortable for the keeper and then in stoppage time it's almost heartbreak for Start. Stromsgodset get it in the area, a firm shot is blocked by a sea of bodies, the rebound falls to Pedesen with his back to goal and Kack hassling him. Pedersen goes down and the Start players hold their breath waiting for a whistle as Kack clears it into touch. The whistle does go but it's for FT. FT 2-2.

M.O.M Aremu 7.5, Skaanes 7.0, Segberg 7.0.

An absolute end to end game from start to finish, 16-18 in shots. Pedersen fortunately could not find the target which ultimately cost them the game I think.

Elsewhere Rosenborg won a tight game with Stabaek 1-0 as they return to winning aways, Kristiansund win 3-2 in Haugeund, one of four away wins, with Valerenga, Sarpsborg and Tromso collecting the other three. Molde beat Lillestrom as their point with Rosenborg becomes a distant memory. Ranheim and Sandefjord drew 1-1 in the remaining game.

With Stromsgodset held by Start, Rosenborg extend their lead to 8pts at the top. Stromsgodset are joined on 17pts by Molde who have been creeping quietly up the table after a shaky start. Valerenga, Sarpsborg and Tromso are all tight in behind on 16. Start are 8th on 13pts along with Ranheim. Lillestrom are still yet to win after 9 games although they have drawn 4 and are still only 3 pts from safety so time yet to turn things around.

Top Scorers are Rosenborg on 19 and best defence is also Rosenborg with 6. A recipe for success if ever there was. Start are 3-4-2 10-7. At this stage a combination of Opdal and Larsen, together with a recent run of a lot of shots going wide from opponents is keeping the unbeaten run going. Molde are now 6 games unbeaten 4-2-0 and have played Rosenborg already (2-0 loss away)

Five players are now level on 5 goals for the season.

Next game Home to Haugesund

Last edited:
Hey guys, great thread. Back to the good old days when offline was the only choice. I do regret trading in my ps2 slim all them years ago for a fat ps3 along with most of my glorious pes collection, expect pes 2. Especially considering my original ps3 died many years ago leaving me without backwards compatibility. How I miss those games and especially building youth which I would do into the we hours of the morning. Van Gogh being my greatest success and becoming a cult hero amongst my friends. Eddington was always our captain and another fine specimen of a man with his glorious balding head, the Scottish Roberto Carlos with the stats of a donkey but always performed like a boss. All with fictional back stories to make the fake seem real and loved dearly for it. The father of Stanely. Ahhh the good old days of pes %D.

I was wondering if anybody by any chance knows of a place that has pes 1, 2, 3 and 4 player stat database? It would be greatly appreciated.

@Madmac79: I haven't tried PES5 in about a month but previously I spent a few weeks on it trying to win the world cup with a smaller NT (Latvia, Venezuela...). Like yourself I tried to start a ML save but after a few matches I lost interest, then I tried that WC challenge and I was hooked rightaway. I find that PES5 is absolutely ideal for short-term competitions such as that, particularly if you play 20 min. matches. If you haven't yet, I recommend you and all of you who's reading this to try it out for yourselves.
But honestly with PES3 you'll be served with a fantastic simulation, no doubt. For me, a PS2-era top 3 would be PES3, PES5 and PES2008, in no particular order. Just get all of them and play those three games as much as you can and you're good to go.

@mattmid: Rosenborg 8 points away? My god, give the other teams a break! You're to blame though, with that electrifying match against Stromsgodset...what a joy must've been to witness such spectacularity!

@Titch: 700 matches? If this doesn't prove that our Retro-PES Corner is the most hardcore place on Earth, then I don't know anything anymore. Good luck there titch!

@h777: Hello man and welcome to our little corner, appreciate your words. Yeah, funny thing, I had a few PS3 that either died or had some kind of fundamental problem through the years, and yet my good'ol PS2 slim is still going strong - even though I blame my younger self for unconsciously doing all he could to shorten its lifespan...those things are built like mini-tanks or something!
I can't help you with your question though.

I've started another project to run alongside Norway once I set it up. Based on Titch's idea of re allocating all the original players.

What I've done is do a csv export of the original pes6 players from the pes editor. From that i've removed all the team a,b..... players, all the classic/ml and shop players. Then from the rest I listed them by Reg Pos and then DEF rating. Then I've got the club rankings from footballdatabase (no particular reason other than that was the first one I clicked on when searching for them) and this order of teams (if in original pes6) will be the order they get their players.

So in the list the first batch are keepers ranked by DEF stat, top to bottom. Top player goes to team 1 and so on down to 120, then repeat until we have less than 120 left, these will be free agents. Then, same again for CB, SB, WB, DM and so on.

The Twist? AM/WF/SS/CF are also listed by DEF Rating. I thought this would be a nice twist as it will mix up the best attackers rather than having a stacked 11 for the best teams. So some teams may have iffy defences but top strikers, others the opposite. Should make for an intriguing mix. I've just done the first four ranked teams, Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and Juventus. Some interesting squads already.

Real Madrid have the likes of Buffon, Maldini, Thuram, Makelele, Smertin, Cocu, Recoba but also have players from the likes of Charlton, Sedan, Sparta Rotterdam, Nancy and so on. So a strong spine but fatigue, injuries and they could be weakened heavily.

What I then plan to do is for the first challenge, take the 71 best ranked teams with 65-71 in Div 2 and let the ML Originals loose on them :D Not sure which way I'll go but I think definitely first season I will make no transfers in or out, originals all the way. Depending how it goes I'll either continue with that or start to allow transfers but only from free agents.

@miguelfcp Yes I have inadvertently helped Rosenborg! It was a fantastic match, I meant to save Aremu's goal but clicked out of it by mistake then forgot to record the highlights afterwards. Pedersen had some really good chances but fortunately put them all wide.

Last edited:
Hey guys, great thread. Back to the good old days when offline was the only choice. I do regret trading in my ps2 slim all them years ago for a fat ps3 along with most of my glorious pes collection, expect pes 2. Especially considering my original ps3 died many years ago leaving me without backwards compatibility. How I miss those games and especially building youth which I would do into the we hours of the morning. Van Gogh being my greatest success and becoming a cult hero amongst my friends. Eddington was always our captain and another fine specimen of a man with his glorious balding head, the Scottish Roberto Carlos with the stats of a donkey but always performed like a boss. All with fictional back stories to make the fake seem real and loved dearly for it. The father of Stanely. Ahhh the good old days of pes %D.

I was wondering if anybody by any chance knows of a place that has pes 1, 2, 3 and 4 player stat database? It would be greatly appreciated.
There used to be a great site that even went back to PES1 but it's been down for a few years now :(

Thinking about it I can't imagine that I've even played 700 games in all the PES games combined! Will be a proper challenge.

Back
Top Bottom