The Retro-PES Corner

This the Cup competition that my brother and me play on PES2008 PS2 version.
I thought you may like to see the results so far. It will probably take about 2 years to complete as we only meet about once a month.

The Lews Cup 2017-?

A few points of note...

1. All teams in PES2008 from an option file of a couple of years ago.
2. Teams will change as i update the option file for next season.
3. Players may transfer clubs or even retire during the course of the cup as i update the file.
4. We roll two dice, the highest roll picks out and represents the Home team.
5. My team is indicated with a ‘g’.
6. My brother’s team is indicated with an ‘a’.
7. Amount of ‘shots’ in brackets.
8. Some player’s names may be spelt wrong or even missed out because of our excitement :P

Here are the results so far...
(Hopefully when you click on the picture the writing becomes clearer) ;)

@geeeeee Love it. You said you were well matched, loads going to extra time or penalties there! Great win for Burnley away to Russia, Sean Dyche has got to be pleased with that. :DD

Astounding start to season seven in PES 3 ML as Lombardia, my centre back, Porso has scored three headers in the first two league games, my style of play could well make him top scorer in the league this season and Arellano, the playmaker, top assist with all the corners and free kicks.

Arellano, btw, is my version of Minanda, the guy is gifted beyond belief, hardly a yellow number in his stats, but all his numbers are consistently good enough to make a complete midfield playmaker.

I think promotion and / or another Division 2 Cup are on the cards, the boys have a swagger to them lacking in past seasons. :BSCARF:

@WhoAteMeDinner Looking like a great season on the cards! Just got my first win in the 6th game of the season, a thriller of a 3-2 with Vardar Skopje. Was the 5th league game. My cup first leg I lost 5-1 including the two own goals by Lothar! Going to take some turning around away from home :LOL:

Inspired by @geeeeee i will share with you, me and my friend's competition format that we played for 7 years in PES 6 (PC) and each year before in PES 3,4,5 respectively. You can complete it in 4-5 hours if you have time and some friends that you can meet and play of course.
So i have format for 4 players that is complete obvious until knock-out stage, 3 players* format ( * which i can explain if someone is interested in) and the classic 2 players format. All competitions are played in KONAMI Cup, with Group Stage (only single matches) and Knock-out Stage, (also single matches). Like the classic World Cup and Euro cup. You can choose from only 2 groups like Confederations to 8 groups like World Cup. Club teams or Internationals is up to you.So let's go for demonstration :
We have two players A and B . We go to KONAMI CUP groups & knockout, 32 teams. Me and my friend used to have in a paper written the teams divided by Team-Power like the Champions League format so player A's Arsenal cannot be with player B's Chelsea in the group stage.This is up to you. You can do the group draw in any way you like. Me personally in the beginning used to cut pieces of papers and put them in a plastic bag or in plastic spheres like Kinder Surprise plastic spheres. After years i created a small .exe in Visual Basic for generating random numbers from 1~8. When you start you draw one team after an other i.e. player A picks Arsenal and draws group 1. You start building your tournament by putting Arsenal to group 1.Then player B picks Chelsea and draws group 1 again, he redraws to be in a different group, if you have limitations ,or goes with Arsenal in group 1, if you don't have. The same goes on and on: player A draws,then player B , then A, then B... etc,etc. Keep in mind that by this, Player A will have all teams with only odd number like P1,P3,P5,P7..P31 and player B with only even number like P2,P4,..P32.
The only limitation you must keep is that if a group has already 2 teams of yours you cannot place a 3rd team in the same group. So every group will be like/ GROUP 1: A1 team ,A2 team, B1 team , B2 team. ATTENTION : You cannot have a group like/ GROUP 2 : A3 team, A4 team, A5 team ,B3 team. ALL GROUPS must have 2 teams of player A and 2 of player B.

That's for setup the KONAMI CUP, now to the execution: Every game between Ax vs Bx is played normally you (A) vs your friend (B). In a proper draw, in every group you have to play 1 match against your other own team* (e.g. A7 vs A19) and 2 games against your friend. You will notice the only gray point is, how do you play the games between your own two teams? In our last version of Konami Cup format we used to do this. In group stage and knockout you do a rotation in both squads, if you want to rest players, and you start the match in 5 minutes time with DOUBLE SPEED. You leave the controllers assigned in 2 sides like opponents,so the CPU will not play the game. You choose which team you want to win and you put an own goal to the team you want to loose. Then let both controllers down, kick the ball and let the game and time past without moving anything, until the game ends, so you don't have random results plus you don't loose players from cards or injuries.(I know it is a lil bit painful process. The ideal would be if KONAMI had simulate match option, so you don't loose so much time). Our rule was in the first two fixtures of a group you can put 2 own goals. In the last fixture of the group you can put only 1 own-goal cause maybe goal difference effect the final group advancing results. In knock out phase you can put only 1 own-goal, as goal difference does not matter at all. If you are lucky enough and the skill gap between players A and B is not huge you can go until semifinals or even finals and have teams from A and B player, so you have a complete funny experience. In case that a player is eliminated the tournament ends and you decide who won it if you are the type of person that keep some records among your friends games! For example, if you reach semifinal and the draw is A3vsA17 and the other leg A5vsA29 the tournament is finished, at least according to our rules. There were many other variations we invented, but thats the last one, for now, and the best we invented, which is fair enough for both players and less time efficient.

P.S.: If you ask, "why KONAMI CUP" ? It is because it is the closest to CL with groups and knockouts,it is a tournament format so you can have suspended players, accumulated fatigue, injuries, extra time and penalties in knockout ties, like reality. Furthermore the game keeps the "record" of your proceeding so you are not forced to keep notes in notebook or notepad.
P.S.2: For PC at least, in PES~3/4/5/6, you can also have a CUP with home and away matches, but you can play only Knockout, without Group Stage, i don't know why, ask KONAMI! :P

That's all. Thank you if you have read until here and REALLY SORRY for the longest post ever!! :)

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner Looking like a great season on the cards! Just got my first win in the 6th game of the season, a thriller of a 3-2 with Vardar Skopje. Was the 5th league game. My cup first leg I lost 5-1 including the two own goals by Lothar! Going to take some turning around away from home :LOL:

@mattmid , hope you can turn that cup tie around, if you have not played yet, maybe try a full pitch press. I scored a Div 2 Cup tie goal against East London, by forcing the full back to pass a hospital job to poor David James. Dario Silva then forced both James and the ball into the net. NO FOWL. GOAL ALLOWED.

:BEER:

Last edited:
Inspired by @geeeeee i will share with you, me and my friend's competition format that we played for 7 years in PES 6 (PC) and each year before in PES 3,4,5 respectively. You can complete it in 4-5 hours if you have time and some friends that you can meet and play of course.
So i have format for 4 players that is complete obvious until knock-out stage, 3 players* format ( * which i can explain if someone is interested in) and the classic 2 players format. All competitions are played in KONAMI Cup, with Group Stage (only single matches) and Knock-out Stage, (also single matches). Like the classic World Cup and Euro cup. You can choose from only 2 groups like Confederations to 8 groups like World Cup. Club teams or Internationals is up to you.So let's go for demonstration :
We have two players A and B . We go to KONAMI CUP groups & knockout, 32 teams. Me and my friend used to have in a paper written the teams divided by Team-Power like the Champions League format so player A's Arsenal cannot be with player B's Chelsea in the group stage.This is up to you. You can do the group draw in any way you like. Me personally in the beginning used to cut pieces of papers and put them in a plastic bag or in plastic spheres like Kinder Surprise plastic spheres. After years i created a small .exe in Visual Basic for generating random numbers from 1~8. When you start you draw one team after an other i.e. player A picks Arsenal and draws group 1. You start building your tournament by putting Arsenal to group 1.Then player B picks Chelsea and draws group 1 again, he redraws to be in a different group, if you have limitations ,or goes with Arsenal in group 1, if you don't have. The same goes on and on: player A draws,then player B , then A, then B... etc,etc. Keep in mind that by this, Player A will have all teams with only odd number like P1,P3,P5,P7..P31 and player B with only even number like P2,P4,..P32.
The only limitation you must keep is that if a group has already 2 teams of yours you cannot place a 3rd team in the same group. So every group will be like/ GROUP 1: A1 team ,A2 team, B1 team , B2 team. ATTENTION : You cannot have a group like/ GROUP 2 : A3 team, A4 team, A5 team ,B3 team. ALL GROUPS must have 2 teams of player A and 2 of player B.

That's for setup the KONAMI CUP, now to the execution: Every game between Ax vs Bx is played normally you (A) vs your friend (B). In a proper draw, in every group you have to play 1 match against your other own team* (e.g. A7 vs A19) and 2 games against your friend. You will notice the only gray point is, how do you play the games between your own two teams? In our last version of Konami Cup format we used to do this. In group stage and knockout you do a rotation in your both squads. if you want to rest players, and you start the match in 5 minutes time with DOUBLE SPEED. You leave the controllers assigned in 2 sides like opponents,so the CPU will not play the game. You choose which team you want to win and you put an own goal to the team you want to loose. Then let both controllers down, kick the ball and let the game and time past without moving anything, until the game ends, so you don't have random results plus you don't loose players from cards or injuries.(I know it is a lil bit painful process. The ideal would be if KONAMI had simulate match option, so you don't loose so much time). Our rule was in the first two fixtures of a group you can put 2 own goals. In the last fixture of the group you can put only 1 own-goal cause maybe goal difference effect the final group advancing results. In knock out phase you can put only 1 own-goal, as goal difference does not matter at all. If you are lucky enough and the skill gap between players A and B is not huge you can go until semifinals or even finals and have teams from A and B player, so you have a complete funny experience. In case that a player is eliminated the tournament ends and you decide who won it if you are the type of person that keep some records among your friends games! For example, if you reach semifinal and the draw is A3vsA17 and the other leg A5vsA29 the tournament is finished, at least according to our rules. There were many other variations we invented, but thats the last one, for now, and the best we invented, which is fair enough for both players and a less time efficient.

P.S.: If you ask, "why KONAMI CUP" ? It is because it is the closest to CL with groups and knockouts,it is a tournament format so you can have suspended players, accumulated fatigue,injuries,extra time and penalties in knockout ties, like reality and do not have to play every match possible when you are only 2 players. Furthermore the game keeps the "record" of your proceeding so you are not forced to keep notes in notebook or notepad.
P.S.2: For PC at least, in PES~3/4/5/6, you can also have a CUP with home and away matches, but you have to play only Knockout without Group Stage, i don't know why, ask KONAMI! :P

That's all. Thank you if you have read until here and REALLY SORRY for the longest post ever!! :)

And the UEFA and FIFA competitions always looked tacked on awkwardly to all PES games, like you were entering a different computer game every Champions League tie, all UEFA branded tat.

I value a WEFA Championship, Masters Cup, Konami Cup or Division 2 Cup in my club's history log far higher.

Long live Winning Eleven and Pro Evo. :x::x::x:

@mattmid , hope you can turn that cup tie around, if you have not played yet, maybe try a full pitch press. I scored a Div 2 Cup tie goal againt East London, by forcing the full back to pass a hospital job to poor David James. Dario Silva then forced both James and the ball into the net. NO FOWL. GOAL ALLOWED.

:BEER:

:D Who got the credit for the goal, Silva or an OG? I might have to try that! I haven't played it yet been back to Norwegian Lge today. I still need another couple of thousand points to cover the first season's wages, I have to admit I'm wondering where the second seasons wage will come from! All part of the fun and challenge though.

I'm trying to give the young players as much game time as possible to get them improving but as soon as Valeny and Libermann aren't in defence it's not good although Jaric is doing ok and starting to develop. Ruskin and Giersen are getting good improvements each time they play as well. Lothar's spending more time picking the ball out of the net than picking up ability points :LOL: Burchet's been a bit of a revelation so far, even scored a nice goal to equalise in the 5-1 game, little did I know how it would go downhill after that! Espimas and Ximilez are doing well at WB but tire quickly but that is giving Ruskin and Giersen game time as well.

@geeeeee Love it. You said you were well matched, loads going to extra time or penalties there! Great win for Burnley away to Russia, Sean Dyche has got to be pleased with that. :DD

Yeh what’s good is that we both try to play good football too. The amount of times we pause the game to watch replays of efforts and goal mouth scrambles etc.. it’s great stuff.

We should be playing next week so i will post the latest scores soon.

@geeeeee: That is exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread: taking full advantage of retro-PES games, if possible doing so using new and different ideas. Amazing stuff!

@mattmid: That's what you get for playing Lethal Lothar! Two own-goals, what a mess. Honestly, I understand your choice given Ivarov's age and Lothar has an interesting defense stat but his GK skills attribute is so low (60-something, right?) that I never saw him as a decent replacement for Ivarov in the future. Also he can't jump, he's short for a GK...

@slamsoze: Excellent stuff, thank you for sharing (and here we absolutely love long posts, so nothing to be sorry about!). To me that idea is worthy of going to the Cup/League Challenge Vault as soon as we get enough ideas to put in there like I did with the ML Vault.

@WhoAteMeDinner: If you put a real-life competition in the game such as the CL, either you have the complete structure with the earliest of qualifying rounds, playoffs and then the group phase - and for that you'd have to have an FM-like gigantic database with every european country's top division or just like it happens in later PES games, it will always feel like something is missing. The WEFA competitions work so well because it doesn't need to emulate real-life.

Yeh what’s good is that we both try to play good football too. The amount of times we pause the game to watch replays of efforts and goal mouth scrambles etc.. it’s great stuff.

We should be playing next week so i will post the latest scores soon.

Yes I know exactly what you mean there, same here. The replays to see how the hell did I miss that, or to check whether the disallowed goal really was offside. Then when playing on the same side together, misplaced passes met with comments like, it's ok I'll go. :D My brother-in-law has a habit of not getting the up or down direction with the cross and it always happens in a strip along the inside of the box for some reason and we've come to call that strip the bermuda triangle because the ball disappears into the crowd!

I love to try and play good football too, the amount of times I'm around the box and then go all 'Arsenal' and try to walk it in only to lose it. :NO:

@miguelfcp Lethal Lothar, I like it! I just couldn't believe my eyes when the second own goal went in, I'd never ever seen two in one game by the keeper. The first one he virtually chucked in the net as he went to catch a cross under NO pressure at all! :LOL: You're right his stats are not good at all and for the moment the 'experiment' is on the back burner. I will return to him once I've got enough points to cover the seasons wages though and see where he can get to by the end of the season.

Interesting side note on GK skills though and something I have learnt recently, their other skills really do matter because the majority of the Norwegian keepers in my option file are in the 50's and 60's for GK Stat, in fact I think the Rosenborg keeper at 70 might be the highest. However other stats are much higher than Lothar's that's for sure. Agility and response for starters and of course jump. Anyway the point being they are still making great saves and I've seen very few mistakes even with the GK stat at that level because their other stats are decent, not high, but steady. Also of course the strikers are not at 80's+ either so that balances things out too. One thing I am seeing more of with this option file and I'm sure I don't recall seeing it that much before is keepers are coming out to claim corners and crosses more than I think I've ever seen. I had a keeper when testing with the South American teams and he claimed every corner in one match! Talk about take the pressure off. Of course there's been the odd dropped one in Norway though but that all adds to the realism.

Lothar is 67 GK, 80 response (he's very quick to collect the ball out of the net!) but 61 agility and 61 jump whilst only being 181cm as well. Maybe I should put him on the rack and stretch him.

Opdal is actually 63 GK, 79 response, 78 agility, 80 jump and 188 tall. So those other three stats plus his height really do count towards his overall keeper abilities which as we know is the great thing with these retro pes's, the stats matter.

Last edited:
Yes I know exactly what you mean there, same here. The replays to see how the hell did I miss that, or to check whether the disallowed goal really was offside. Then when playing on the same side together, misplaced passes met with comments like, it's ok I'll go. :D My brother-in-law has a habit of not getting the up or down direction with the cross and it always happens in a strip along the inside of the box for some reason and we've come to call that strip the bermuda triangle because the ball disappears into the crowd!

I love to try and play good football too, the amount of times I'm around the box and then go all 'Arsenal' and try to walk it in only to lose it. :NO:

My brother and me never really play on the same side. We prefer that competitiveness, especially as he is a Chelsea fan and me Spurs. On that note even if we draw out our opposite teams we still try our hardest to win for them.

Also i forgot to mention, in that last game of our competition. I was Liverpool and he was Borussia MG, it was 2-2 and in the 120th min of extra time, Mane was running through on goal. I shot but nothing happened and i realised my brother hacked me down just outside the box. His player got sent off, we missed the free kick, and he then won on penalties. I was gutted but it was so realistic, he had to bring me down before i shot and before i reached the penalty area. Good tactics by him :(

ML United - Season 1 - End of season update

Well, typically I'd be telling you guys how exciting my winter transfer window was, but since no default has retired yet, we can't do anything at all here. So my hopes of improving our record and escaping the bottom of the league remained unchanged, even if my changes to the starting eleven certainly made us a little less horrible on the pitch: but still we were unable to fight back whenever the opposition began to show their offensive potential and built momentum to score many goals on us...a competitive team would be able to push back, but the verdict is...we're just not good enough right now.

After an early elimination from the D2 Cup on the first round, all we had to fight for was to get out of the 8th place, the very bottom of the league. I think we spent at least 12 rounds on that last spot, but since the D2 is a competition where no team really has a clear advantage in terms of squad quality and depth compared to its competitors - except when compared to our ML United defaults - we never were too far from the top half of the D2. The thing is, even when we got points out of a match it was never enough for us to be able to climb out of 8th at least.
On the last fixture of the season, a win against Nancy - then the 7th placed - finally got us out of the bottom, finishing the season in 7th place with the same points as Nancy, 8th.

7th - ML United - 14 pts - 2W / 8D / 4L - 11 Goals/18 Goals conceded (3rd worse offense, worst defense)
Top Scorer: Gutierrez (5, second best of the league) Ordaz (3)
Assists: Ruskin (2, second best of the league)
ML United Analytics MVP (Only the players who played the most matches count for this award. Out of that list of players, the one with the best average match rating wins): Van den Berg (6.5) - Van den Berg is an analytics favourite, in my PES09 test-ML he was always one of the best rated. I don't think he had a great season (at a certain point Dodo replaced him in the starting eleven) but I got to say he's indeed consistent, even when he doesn't particularly shine on a match he rarely commits mistakes either on or off the ball.

-> I expected to finish last so...let's celebrate? Again, it's the same old glass half-full or half-empty dilemma: 2 wins in 14 matches, but just 4 losses in 14. We managed to force our opponents to a draw in more than half of the fixtures, which shows we were competitive.

Objectives for next season: (I like to set specific goals to understand clearly how the team is evolving)
- Finish 7th or above
- advance past the first round of the D2
- score at least 15 goals
- get at least as many Wins as Losses
- improve defensive and offensive record (get less than 18 goals conceded/get more than 11 goals)

Odds for next James Bond...ahem, next Default to retire:
Huylens: 1,30
Zamenhof: 2,75

Last edited:
It was back to OBAS Ligaen for me today and I decided to stay in the one league and then do the same with Start next time. It feels a bit better to play a run of games with the same team rather than alternate them.

OBAS Ligaen Round 10

Nest-Sotra 0-1 Aalesund

An early Aalesund goal when Fridjonsson broke clear and won a 50/50 with the keeper to tuck the ball into an empty net. Plenty of shots (19) for Nest-Sotra but unable to find an equaliser as Aalesund kept them largely to long shots and half chances. A fussy referee (21 fouls) didn't help the flow of the game either.

Elsewere big news at the top of the table as the stuttering Viking lost, losing 1-0 away to Notodden. The chasing pack, Ham-Kam, Strommen, Sogndal, Sandnes, Notodden themselves and Kongsvinger all won. All of which means that Strommen go above Viking to the top of the table! Strommen are unbeaten so far (6-4-0). Defeats for Tromsdalen and Floro again means no let up for them. Asane meanwhile... yep, they drew for the 7th time in 10.

Nest-Sotra drop to 13th just 2pts ahead of Mjondalen in 14th who occupy the relegation play off spot. With Floro three points further back but with their only win being over the hapless Tromsdalen, it would seem neither they not Tromsdalen will climb out of the automatic relegation places. Nest have only conceded 7 goals in 10 games but have only managed 6 goals themselves as they struggle to find a regular scorer up front.

Ibrahim (Kongsvinger) and Fredriksen (Sogndal) go to the top of the goalscoring charts on 5 goals. 8 players now share 2 assists.

OBAS Ligaen Round 11

Ham-Kam 0-2 Nest Sotra

A great win for Nest-Sotra. After a goalless first half with chances at a premium it was Nesse that broke the deadlock right after half time with a good finish. He followed it up with a second, heading in from a corner. Martinsen hit a post with a free kick late on as well as they almost placed a cherry on top.

M.O.M Nesse 8.5!

Elsewhere Mjondalen beat Floro meaning they would have gone above Nest had they lost their game. Kongsvinger drew with Notodden. There were wins for leaders Strommen as well as Viking who got back to winning ways beating Sandnes 1-0. Asane picked up a rare win instead of drawing, while Jerv beat Levanger

Table

Strommen 25 (7-4-0 13-5)
Viking 24
Kongsvinger 21
Notodden 21
Sogndal 17
Ullensaker 17
Ham-Kam 17
Jerv 17
Sandnes 15
Nest-Sotra 13 (3-4-4 8-7)
Asane 13
Aalesund 12
Mjondalen 11
Levanger 11
Floro 5
Tromsdalen 1 (0-1-10 2-16)

Ibrahim (Konsvinger) goes to the top of the scoring charts with 6. Nesse moves onto 4 for Nest-Sotra.

Sjolstad (Kongsvinger) finally becomes the first player to reach 3 assists with lots on 2, including Nergaard and Rodsand of Nest-Sotra.

OBAS Ligaen Round 12

Sondal 1-0 Nest-Sotra

Sogndal were well on top for most of the game and had they not been so wasteful could have won comfortably. Nest had their chances but no real clear cut ones and in the end were happy enough to get away with just a 1-0 defeat.

Elsewhere things close up yet again as leaders Strommen went down 1-0 away to Jerv, their first defeat of the season, while Viking continued to stutter losing at home to an improving Aalesund. Kongsvinger, Sandnes, Ham-Kam and Mjondalen also won, closing the gap to the top two, while Notodden and Ullensaker shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw. Tromsdalen lost yet again but did pick up their third goal of the season in a 4-1 beating.

Top Scorers

Ibrahim (Kongsvinger) 7
Fredriksen (Sogndal) 5
Stene (Levanger) 5
Troen (Strommen) 5

Player of the Season Race

Nesse 6.8
Cirak 6.3
Rodsand 6.2
Torset 6.1

OBAS Ligaen Round 13

Nest-Sotra 1-3 Asane

A second defeat in a row for Nest. A fairly even game and pretty tight with under 10 shots for both sides despite being a fairly free flowing game. In the end though Asane had more about them in the final third and scored with all three of their three shots on target.

Elsewhere Kongsvinger picked the right week to play Floro, as Strommen and Viking met in a 0-0 top of the table clash, they went top with a 2-0 win as Ibrahim scored again. Jerv also won as every other game bar one ended in a draw. That other game drew the big shock of the week as Tromsdalen won their first game of the season! Not only that but by a score of 2-0! Is there life in them yet?

The promotion chase heats up as just six points cover the first seven teams.

Best Attack Kongsvinger 16
Worst Attack Tromsdalen & Floro 5
Best Defence Viking 5
Worst Defence Tomsdalen & Floro 20

Top Scorer

Ibrahim (Kongsvinger) 8

Round 14

Tromsdalen 3-3 Nest-Sotre

M.O.M Nesse 8.0

Two points well and truly thrown away by Nest here in what turned into quite a thriller. 2-0 up at half time and 3-1 up after 74 they really should have seen the game out. Particularly against a side who had only managed 5 goals to date this season. However on the back of their 2-0 win last week perhaps this is a new side of Tromsdalen. They equalised on 85 minutes with a stooping header from a cross after a lot of late pressure.

Elsewhere Kongsvinger continued their good run with a 2-1 win away to Asane. Ibrahim in a rich vein of form with yet another goal. The leaders are now five unbeaten and on a three game winning streak. A still stuttering Viking side scraped a 1-0 home win against strugglers Floro, while Sandnes, Notodden, Mjondalen, Aalesund and Ullensaker all picked up wins.

Table

Kongsvinger 30
Viking 28
Strommen 26
Notodden 24
Jerv 23
Sandnes 22
Ullensaker/Kisa 22
Sogndal 21
Ham-Kam 21
Aalesund 19
Mjondalen 18
Asane 16
Nest-Sotra 14
Levanger 11
Tromsdalen 5
Floro 5

Top Scorers

Ibrahim (Kongsvinger) 9
Eriksen (Sandnes) 6

Assists

Oby (Kongsvinger) 3
Sjolstad (Kongsvinger) 3
Antwi (Asane) 3
Kachi (Sandnes) 3

Player of the Season Race

Nesse 6.9
Torset 6.4
Cirak 6.2
Rodsand 6.1

My biggest bugbear glitch of the classic PES games is the non-press passive play of the COM teams, even when they are a goal down. I passed the ball around at the back for a full 45 mins in successive ML games and the COM teams just ran about in front of my defenders.

Has this changed in later games, never tried it in PES 2010, that last game I have ?

:D Who got the credit for the goal, Silva or an OG? I might have to try that! I haven't played it yet been back to Norwegian Lge today. I still need another couple of thousand points to cover the first season's wages, I have to admit I'm wondering where the second seasons wage will come from! All part of the fun and challenge though.

I'm trying to give the young players as much game time as possible to get them improving but as soon as Valeny and Libermann aren't in defence it's not good although Jaric is doing ok and starting to develop. Ruskin and Giersen are getting good improvements each time they play as well. Lothar's spending more time picking the ball out of the net than picking up ability points :LOL: Burchet's been a bit of a revelation so far, even scored a nice goal to equalise in the 5-1 game, little did I know how it would go downhill after that! Espimas and Ximilez are doing well at WB but tire quickly but that is giving Ruskin and Giersen game time as well.

The way Dario Silva tackled the keeper was how no fowl was given and he was awarded the goal, (mind you, PES refs are a bit iffy as well :CONFUSE:), he got a knee on the ball before he shouldered David James into the onion bag for good measure. :D

ML United - Season 1 - End of season update

Well, typically I'd be telling you guys how exciting my winter transfer window was, but since no default has retired yet, we can't do anything at all here. So my hopes of improving our record and escaping the bottom of the league remained unchanged, even if my changes to the starting eleven certainly made us a little less horrible on the pitch: but still we were unable to fight back whenever the opposition began to show their offensive potential and built momentum to score many goals on us...a competitive team would be able to push back, but the verdict is...we're just not good enough right now.

After an early elimination from the D2 Cup on the first round, all we had to fight for was to get out of the 8th place, the very bottom of the league. I think we spent at least 12 rounds on that last spot, but since the D2 is a competition where no team really has a clear advantage in terms of squad quality and depth compared to its competitors - except when compared to our ML United defaults - we never were too far from the top half of the D2. The thing is, even when we got points out of a match it was never enough for us to be able to climb out of 8th at least.
On the last fixture of the season, a win against Nancy - then the 7th placed - finally got us out of the bottom, finishing the season in 7th place with the same points as Nancy, 8th.

7th - ML United - 14 pts - 2W / 8D / 4L - 11 Goals/18 Goals conceded (3rd worse offense, worst defense)
Top Scorer: Gutierrez (5, second best of the league) Ordaz (3)
Assists: Ruskin (2, second best of the league)
ML United Analytics MVP (Only the players who played the most matches count for this award. Out of that list of players, the one with the best average match rating wins): Van den Berg (6.5) - Van den Berg is an analytics favourite, in my PES09 test-ML he was always one of the best rated. I don't think he had a great season (at a certain point Dodo replaced him in the starting eleven) but I got to say he's indeed consistent, even when he doesn't particularly shine on a match he rarely commits mistakes either on or off the ball.

-> I expected to finish last so...let's celebrate? Again, it's the same old glass half-full or half-empty dilemma: 2 wins in 14 matches, but just 4 losses in 14. We managed to force our opponents to a draw in more than half of the fixtures, which shows we were competitive.

Objectives for next season: (I like to set specific goals to understand clearly how the team is evolving)
- Finish 7th or above
- advance past the first round of the D2
- score at least 15 goals
- get at least as many Wins as Losses
- improve defensive and offensive record (get less than 18 goals conceded/get more than 11 goals)

Odds for next James Bond...ahem, next Default to retire:
Huylens: 1,30
Zamenhof: 2,75

Yeh, you have done proper well as they say. Like me, you like a challenge and I have six decent signings in my squad to add some defensive metal and cutting edge to the defaults amd only in season seven in ML Division 2 is my team close to a playoff spot and I can't see my side winning that, still in ML points negative balance territory, so no more new players.

How many players have you signed. Hardly any I imagine ?

It's the winter transfer window in Div 2 not that I'll be getting involved in it. There is a bid in for Espimas but it will be knocked back.

A tricky first half of the season for Domzale. We went out 7-2 on agg in the 1st Rnd of the Cup and despite taking an early lead in the return fixture it wasn't the start of an amazing comeback. The first half of the season ended with a decent performance though albeit against bottom placed Go Ahead Eagles. Who strangely enough were the first team in a while in the league to not 'Go Ahead' against Domzale! Ordaz scored early on before the GA keeper made several excellent saves, two in one goalmouth scramble alone. Then a late sucker punch left it 1-1 at FT.

We seem to have found a system that suits, a 3-3-1-3, with the two wide in the 3 in midfield WB's but with the option as against GA Eagles with three suspensions and two tired WB's to change one of the WB to SM and slot in Castolo there where he actually did ok, his pace helping out if not his passing.

Burchett has been a surprise hit and slots in nicely at WF in the three up front when fit. Hamsun is improving quite nicely are Jaric, Giersen and Ruskin.

A fully fit squad will see this as the first 11 currently.

Ivarov; Valeny, Libermann, Stremer; Espimas, Stein, Ximelez; Minanda; Burchett, Huylans, Castolo

Jaric, Giersen, Ruskin, Hamsun and Fouque are all competing closely for a first team slot and once I get over my wage total, youth will start to be picked first. Another 1900pts required yet so that may take a while!

Results

Home
Lech Poznan 1-1
Lokeren 0-2
Heerenveen 0-4
Korona Kelice 0-0

Away (my score second)
Heracles 1-1
Vardar Skopje 2-3
Go Ahead Eagles 1-1

Cup

Heracles Home 1-5! Away 2-1 AGG 2-7

It's far to say that the Lothar experiment didn't fare too well with 9 goals shipped in 3 games, compared to 9 in 6 for Ivarov. Particularly as he scored two of them himself. Having said that Ivarov has also now parried two shots into my defenders that have rebounded into the net! Zamenhoff warming up as we speak :LOL:

Table
Heerenveen 16
Lech Poznan 11
Lokeren 11
Vardar Skopje 10
Korona 9
Heracles 8
Domzale 7 ( 1-4-2 6-11 )
Go Ahead Eagles 2

Given that GA Eagles are yet to win, I'd be disappointed not to finish at least 7th now and they were the poorest side I've played. Just 4 pts off 2nd place but realistically we're not going to get anywhere near that. Heerenveen look to have things sewn up at this stage as top scorers (11) and best defence (2)

Top Scorers

te Vrede (Heerenveen) 6
Balotelli (Vardar Skopje) 4
Nielsen (Lech Poznan) 4

Ximelez 2

Assists

Navratil (Heerenveen) 3

Burchett 2

Player of the season race

Ruskin 6.5
Minanda 6.4
Stremer 6.4
Burchett 6.2

Elsewhere Teodorczyk of Anderlecht leads the Golden Boot race on 17, five clear of Baros (Liberic) and his Anderlecht team mate Kabasele 12.

@mattmid: I keep hearing my scouts telling me about this guy Nesse, tell me Matt, is he as good as people say he is?
Great update about your Domzale season. It's interesting to see your reliance on older players, do you think it has been paying off?
Zamenhof is like Ceciu to me, just one of those defaults who I often even forget he's still there, part of the roster. Sometimes a team would make me a transfer bid for him that's when I found out he was still a player of my team. Still I believe out of the three keepers you'd be better served with Ivarov. Good thing about him is that if you give him lots of minutes he won't decline in the first few years of your save.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Indeed it's a hell of a challenge, it's by far the hardest one I've ever done in PES. To answer your question, I can only buy a player when one of my defaults retires - and it can only be a 17-year-old from the "newcomer" group made of regens and newgens - so it's impossible to buy players rightaway in the first season.

@miguelfcp I think the best compliment I can pay him is that I really miss him when he's not playing. His full name appears to be Nesse Stephensen but to big for PES spaces so I opted for Nesse (transfermkt had him as Nesse, flash scores have him as Stephensen). He is a cut above the rest on most occasions it seems, just more consistent at everything where as a lot of the others misplace passes and so on. Apparently he doesn't get on with Stremer though so a move's out of the question :LOL:

I'm trying to bring in the younger one's when I can and they've played their part but I want to just get past the wage total then I'll start playing them more to bring them on. That's been helped by a game I just had with Lech Poznan. A real PES classic game that'll live long in the memory. Burchet was immense. He scored two, had one saved with a brilliant one handed save from the Poznan keeper AND hit both posts! Most of this in the first half as well! At the same time the defence were superb, I got in so many blocks and last ditch tackles, Poznan were dangerous the whole game and I really defended well and Ivarov made two great saves as well, one a cracker with his legs. I saw out a 2-0 win and for the moment moved up to 5th as the top three won as well so I gained on the rest. I think fresh players after the break helped somewhat.

The Lothar experiment has left some of the younger players mentally scarred I think and me too. :LOL: Two own goals for god's sake!

Sorry to ask same question again, anyone played a COM team that really actively presses for the ball when you just kick it about among your defenders ?

@WhoAteMeDinner Just recorded a bit of play here, opponents pressing me all the time. PES6 with my own option file.

Just uploading it, I'll put it in spoiler once it's done.

@WhoAteMeDinner Just recorded a bit of play here, opponents pressing me all the time. PES6 with my own option file.

Just uploading it, I'll put it in spoiler once it's done.

Thanks @mattmid , I seem to remember that in PES 6 now you mention it. Must have been just an earlier edition thing, also the opposition I was playing were poor, will try against a better team next.

Anyone know if you get any points for 7th place in ML? I have one game left against fellow joint bottom team GA Eagles and I'm 1020 pts shy of paying the wages! So I need to win for 800pts and score 13 goals at this point :SHOCK: Fair to say the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords!

Back
Top Bottom