The Retro-PES Corner

I found some PS2 in a good condition that is sold for around $25. But some of them don't get 2 controllers (or even one). Is it worth it to buy?

@geeeeee: Thanks again for the warm reception :BEER:
@MafiaMurderBag: Hey there MMB! It sure looks so, I choose to believe everyone's too busy playing the retro-PES classics to post here!...
Very busy, At least for me. I actually even enjoy PES 2020 this year but i can't put down the classics. They are just so perfectly engineered. It helps my enjoyment of PES 2020 as i only manage a handful of games on it a week and i won't get fatigued with it or annoyed with it like most 2020 players would. In & out for me.

I don't know whether you've been lurking in here during your time away or if you've got lots to catch up on, But since you've been gone gave the bastard child PES 2008 a hardcore session and did a EURO 2008 play through on that and actually had a real good time. Giving the game a dedicated play through allowed me to comprehend that despite not being PES's finest hour at launch in 2008, It's still old school, dramatic & individually brilliant PES at it's core and that's why this thread exists. To celebrate the legacy of PES's incomparable and magical DNA.

I don't know whether you've been lurking in here during your time away or if you've got lots to catch up on, But since you've been gone gave the bastard child PES 2008 a hardcore session and did a EURO 2008 play through on that and actually had a real good time. Giving the game a dedicated play through allowed me to comprehend that despite not being PES's finest hour at launch in 2008, It's still old school, dramatic & individually brilliant PES at it's core and that's why this thread exists. To celebrate the legacy of PES's incomparable and magical DNA.

I really must give it a proper go on the PC. It's funny as soon as I start it up and see that awful scrolling menu the disappointment I remember from first playing it after 3,4,5,6 comes flooding back! I need to go beyond that and give it a fair go. You did that EURO 2008 on PC, right? What patch did you use for that?

Hey guys, it's been a while.
Despite real life hitting like a rock, I still haven't quit my infamous PES08 PS2 ML save with the ML defaults. I don't know for sure but I believe the save is probably almost two years old now, which makes it by far my longest ML save ever.

I can't remember what was my last update (if you're brave enough to read back on these 200 pages, you'll find it) but long story short, I've managed to bring the Defaults to world glory with the help of a few potent newgens like Jackson the centreback, Fredriksson the FK&xorner&PK taker goalkeeper (yes you read that right), and Matic the 205cm panzer up front.

Over the last two seasons, our dominance became just too brutal for the ML World, having conquered the treble two years in a row (League, Cup and WEFA Championships). In two league seasons I had only one defeat before conquering the title - after conquering it I'd just use the reserves on all the matches until the end of the competition, so inevitably I got me a few defeats as a result. I'm far from being that good of a player; the thing is that the team became too good stats-wise. Fredriksson became the best rated keeper in the world, Jackson the best CB, Matic one of the best strikers...and even the newgens that weren't first-team regulars became superstars - like Sousa, Khumalo, Delios, etc. Others like Espinosa rarely ever played and still evolved their attributes like crazy.

It was time to shake things up: decided to let go of almost every newgen I signed over the years. Only Delios remained: despite his potent statsheet he's a CB with 168cm, I can't let such an interesting, quirky player go.

To renew the team I decided to bring in a few PES and WE United players like Footyn, De Kaam, Chigrat, Kondelenan, Alnenda, and the like. Their statsheets are much more realistic and hopefully they won't develop as much as the ML newgens do.

I think this worked: I'm mid-season and currently am 5th, five points away from the 1st place in the league. The game is much harder now: I've now lost more points in just half a season than the whole of the last two beforehand.

//

As for the defaults, most have retired. Espimas, Ximelez, Ivarov, Minanda, Castolo and the like are long gone - Minanda's 'son' (his regen) is already 27 years old! In five seasons there won't be any ML default left, as all of them are on their late 30s now.

Check out a few of them below (spoilers!)

Yup, the team is old. Stein has been the team's captain for 15 years - and rarely misses a game. Gutierrez is by far the best Default ever at this point, he'll surely end up surpassing the 500-goal milestone and his match-count will hardly ever be beaten. Both have become two of my most iconic PES players in my experience playing this series.
Check out also Lothar, with a whooping 11 matches in 15 seasons. A true legend.
You should've seen my face when Stein finally scored his first goal for the club after more than 400 matches and countless horrible long-shot attempts in fifteen years.

I've tried quitting this save many times, in order to explore other ideas and to give these guys a well-deserved rest, but I'm finding it impossible, I just like this team too much. Here's to hoping Stein doesn't retire until he's 50 and that Gutierrez will be able to play alongside Minanda's grandson one of these days.

PS: the forum's looking good!
Nice having you back again Miguel

I really must give it a proper go on the PC. It's funny as soon as I start it up and see that awful scrolling menu the disappointment I remember from first playing it after 3,4,5,6 comes flooding back! I need to go beyond that and give it a fair go. You did that EURO 2008 on PC, right? What patch did you use for that?
You're not the only one, But i looked at it as a kind of charm really. Again, The menu's and their lag was more of an issue on PS3/360. On a PC 10 years later it's buttery smooth and of course thanks to kitserver, with laser sharp resolution. It's like restoring a retro movie, To be able to experience a game the way the creators intended.

It's still not the strongest PES in the series but certainly not as bad as people remember it being. It's a bit of an unfair exaggeration.

Here's the link to the patch, It's Virtua Red's 09 patch for PES 2008. It's mostly based on the upcoming 08/09 season but the Euro 2008 squads are accurate and it's the only patch online that has collected every stadium ever made for PES 2008 including the ones that would've been used for the now dead, Euro 2008 patches.

https://www.virtuared.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=2393

@IrfaN28: I'm far from an expert on the matter but my beloved PS2 has been through hell and back and is as good as new, always up for a couple of games after so many years...how expensive is 25 bucks where you live? If it was 25 euros here, and you say it's in good condition, I'd have bought it rightaway.

@rockstrongo: Thanks man :)

@MafiaMurderBag: Radical scenario here, but I'm completely convinced that if one suddenly woke up on a desert island and had only a game like PES3 or PES2008 PS2 to play, he'd happily play it forever. When a game's good, it's good; the passage of time is irrelevant.

PES08, now that's an odd one! Admittedly I played very little of it at the time, also because of how good FIFA08 was in comparison, and I didn't play the PC version at all...so it's definitely on my list.
Glad to know you're still making your videos, it's amazing content indeed. You pretty much have a world to explore through that concept: 'what shall I do today? a ML on PES2009? A cup on PES5? A J-League on J-League 08 PS2?'...the possibilities are endless. Keep going strong man :)

@sniglet: Hi there man, great to see you playing with the defaults as well. Are you keeping them all on your team? Jaric has shined as an almost unbeatable CB for me this time around, when usually he's much more useful when attacking. I'm ashamed to admit this but though he got to a 95 FK accuracy/swerve, he hasn't scored a single FK in 15 years.

To my shame all but one of the original squad have been shipped out - Jaric is the only one remaining and sits on the left of the back 3 and is still the first defender on the team sheet!

Just checked and I'm actually in 2015, way more than the 6 seasons I thought I'd completed ... time flies when you're having fun I suppose.

I have limited incoming transfers to ML Youth players, apart from Matt Taylor who was offered as a part-exchange for Minanda and I couldn't say no - he's been an assist machine from the LWB position!

Some of the ML Youth develop into ridiculously good players and my team feels too overpowered already. :D

Pro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.25---12.42.26.jpg
Pro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.25---12.42.51.jpgPro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.25---12.42.58.jpgPro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.25---12.43.04.jpg

Hey guys, it's been a while.
Despite real life hitting like a rock, I still haven't quit my infamous PES08 PS2 ML save with the ML defaults. I don't know for sure but I believe the save is probably almost two years old now, which makes it by far my longest ML save ever.

I can't remember what was my last update (if you're brave enough to read back on these 200 pages, you'll find it) but long story short, I've managed to bring the Defaults to world glory with the help of a few potent newgens like Jackson the centreback, Fredriksson the FK&xorner&PK taker goalkeeper (yes you read that right), and Matic the 205cm panzer up front.

Over the last two seasons, our dominance became just too brutal for the ML World, having conquered the treble two years in a row (League, Cup and WEFA Championships). In two league seasons I had only one defeat before conquering the title - after conquering it I'd just use the reserves on all the matches until the end of the competition, so inevitably I got me a few defeats as a result. I'm far from being that good of a player; the thing is that the team became too good stats-wise. Fredriksson became the best rated keeper in the world, Jackson the best CB, Matic one of the best strikers...and even the newgens that weren't first-team regulars became superstars - like Sousa, Khumalo, Delios, etc. Others like Espinosa rarely ever played and still evolved their attributes like crazy.

It was time to shake things up: decided to let go of almost every newgen I signed over the years. Only Delios remained: despite his potent statsheet he's a CB with 168cm, I can't let such an interesting, quirky player go.

To renew the team I decided to bring in a few PES and WE United players like Footyn, De Kaam, Chigrat, Kondelenan, Alnenda, and the like. Their statsheets are much more realistic and hopefully they won't develop as much as the ML newgens do.

I think this worked: I'm mid-season and currently am 5th, five points away from the 1st place in the league. The game is much harder now: I've now lost more points in just half a season than the whole of the last two beforehand.

//

As for the defaults, most have retired. Espimas, Ximelez, Ivarov, Minanda, Castolo and the like are long gone - Minanda's 'son' (his regen) is already 27 years old! In five seasons there won't be any ML default left, as all of them are on their late 30s now.

Check out a few of them below (spoilers!)

Yup, the team is old. Stein has been the team's captain for 15 years - and rarely misses a game. Gutierrez is by far the best Default ever at this point, he'll surely end up surpassing the 500-goal milestone and his match-count will hardly ever be beaten. Both have become two of my most iconic PES players in my experience playing this series.
Check out also Lothar, with a whooping 11 matches in 15 seasons. A true legend.
You should've seen my face when Stein finally scored his first goal for the club after more than 400 matches and countless horrible long-shot attempts in fifteen years.

I've tried quitting this save many times, in order to explore other ideas and to give these guys a well-deserved rest, but I'm finding it impossible, I just like this team too much. Here's to hoping Stein doesn't retire until he's 50 and that Gutierrez will be able to play alongside Minanda's grandson one of these days.

PS: the forum's looking good!

Busy past days, I'm reading it just now..

Mate, welcome back! So glad to see you post again!!

Maybe that's why these days I'm feeling a strong urge to play Pes 3 again.. here, in your honour:

@sniglet: Man, you do have a potent team right there! Huber and Kaiser are two classic newgens and they can't even make your starting-11...you must be consistently devouring trophies at this point, right?

@Madmac79: Hey Mad, thanks a lot. Retro-PES synchronicity, my friend, is what it is. I don't know whether I liked the goal more or the music!

I'm far from an expert on the matter but my beloved PS2 has been through hell and back and is as good as new, always up for a couple of games after so many years...how expensive is 25 bucks where you live? If it was 25 euros here, and you say it's in good condition, I'd have bought it rightaway.
Well, in euro currency, it is 22.5 euros

@sniglet: Man, you do have a potent team right there! Huber and Kaiser are two classic newgens and they can't even make your starting-11...you must be consistently devouring trophies at this point, right?

As I said, it's got a bit easy now ... I think I'll try and make a few more rules next time I start a master league. Once some of my players get on the ball there's no stopping them! My cash reserves have just got ridiculous now too.

Pro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.27---11.59.45.jpgPro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.27---11.56.20.jpgPro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.27---11.56.17.jpgPro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.27---11.56.06.jpgPro-Evolution-Soccer-6-Screenshot-2019.11.27---11.55.59.jpg

@IrfaN28: Yes, but is 25 bucks there considered "expensive"? If not, it's a pretty good deal in my view. I paid half of that just to have a PS2 controller a year ago - in superb condition though.

@sniglet: I was having similar win percentages in my save as yours in your latest years, before I shipped out all the potent newgens. And yes, here the money's also so abundant that I was able to give Lothar a 1000 PES contract.

For those who might be interested, the Retro Sports Club is now the Libero:
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/

And to really kick things off, here's a retrospective on the lost PES game that is the PS2 version of PES2008. Thanks to @geeeeee, if it wasn't for him I'd never have discovered this game.

(also when your OF is ready I'll gladly include it in the "Recommended Mods" section of the review)

Hope you enjoy it folks.

Just went through last Thursday all the PS2 titles for one game each. PES 2 player models are incredibly detailed! From PES3 it was such a downgrade however all the other models got upgraded in exchange. I have to say PES3 is the first incredibly varied footy game. Man the ball physics in that one is top notch. PES4-PES6 are just tweaks in terms of gameplay and style and ofcourse visual upgrades.

1030687200_909591_1533314564_sumario_normal.jpg
1034892000_892000_000029_album_normal.jpg

1067876100_876100_000001_album_normal.jpg

Last edited:
Just went through last Thursday all the PS2 titles for one game each. PES 2 player models are incredibly detailed! From PES3 it was such a downgrade however all the other models got upgraded in exchange. I have to say PES3 is the first incredibly varied footy game. Man the ball physics in that one is top notch. PES4-PES6 are just tweaks in terms of gameplay and style and ofcourse visual upgrades.

I still get more enjoyment out of PES 3-6 than PES 20 it seems....incredible games

And to really kick things off, here's a retrospective on the lost PES game that is the PS2 version of PES2008. Thanks to @geeeeee, if it wasn't for him I'd never have discovered this game.

(also when your OF is ready I'll gladly include it in the "Recommended Mods" section of the review)

Hope you enjoy it folks.

Thanks Migs (sorry to keep calling you that it’s just your name reminds me of a DJ called Miguel Migs :) )

I will give it a read. I will keep you updated regarding the OF. I was away for a week and when I got back it was kinda slow getting back into it. But getting back into the groove now.

So the fairytale of the Retro Pes,at least for me,is when we started the Pes 6 league and Atalanta's Kulusevski was dominating from the get go.

Me as a swede had no knowledge of him then,started to Google him prior to the start of this Serie A season and found out he's loaned out to Parma on a one year deal.

Great on Pes ,but could a 19 year old kid really dominate irl as well?
Pretty sceptical to say the least.
But boy was I wrong....
He's started all 14 games for Parma and has 3 goals and 5 assists as a winger in a mediocre team,and now Inter is gunning for him,also made his international debut a few weeks a go.
And when I didn't think I'd like him more,he went out in the media declaring his love for Serge junior (Hammarby) who took him under his wing when both playing for BP (Sweden).
Castolo-ish vibes to that story for me.

@rockstrongo: The World Youth League was one - scrap that, many - steps ahead of non-retro-pes-corner people :D What an amazing story there. Also, remember us talking about a certain norwegian striker called Haland back in June/July, when we were doing the World Youth Cup and he was, at least attributes-wise, the best player in Norway's NT and perhaps even of the best of the entire database? Well, look where he is now...one of the Champions League's top scorers this season.

@rockstrongo: The World Youth League was one - scrap that, many - steps ahead of non-retro-pes-corner people :D What an amazing story there. Also, remember us talking about a certain norwegian striker called Haland back in June/July, when we were doing the World Youth Cup and he was, at least attributes-wise, the best player in Norway's NT and perhaps even of the best of the entire database? Well, look where he is now...one of the Champions League's top scorers this season.
He's been absolutely tremendous,though I absolutely hate Red Bull and their businesses in football,they have a great youth academy.
Fun fact,Håland,is the son of former Nottingham Forest and Manchester City player Alf-Inge Håland.
Famous for having a career ending injury inflicted (on purpose) by Roy Keane of Manchester Utd.
Horrible "tackle" by Keane

@rockstrongo @miguelfcp

Haland is just about wanted by everyone as well! The irony too is that he begun at Molde, where of course Solskjaer was managing and Man Utd are rumoured to be one of those interested in him - would the Solskjaer link tempt him there - assuming he hasn't been sacked by then of course! What irony though if he ended up at United!

That's great about Kulusevski, I didn't know he'd got a full cap now as well! It's amazing how many of those world youth league players are starting to make a mark in the first teams now. I've noticed some of Lyon's are starting to get on the bench including 16yr old Cherki, who was on the bench in the Champions League the other night. I wonder if any more of that very strong Atalanta squad will begin to appear? Also a couple of your Torino squad have been in the match day squads.

Oh and Ricky, what do you make of Ibrahimovic buying (25% stake was it?) in Hammarby! I hear Malmo fans are extremely pissed off but I also read they said Hammarby fans weren't that pleased about it either but maybe that was sour grapes on their part?

Hope you enjoy it folks.

Excellent write up about PES2008 it was a really good read.:TU:

The only thing that I have to slightly disagree with is the reference to it being PES6 and a half but i am really biased.

I never really liked PES6 after the excellent 5. Lack of free kicks, overpowered shooting, cut back pass goals, and also (if i remember) i always won high ball goal kicks against the CPU wether i was taking them or the CPU. I actually gave it away and continued to play 5. So for me PES2008 stands on it’s own. But like i said am biased towards 2008 and never played 6 that much ;)

Last edited:

Hope you enjoy it folks.

What a great read on a great game. PES 2008 (PS2) really is a lost gem of a footy game - one that still plays better than anything on current gen.

I still prefer the ball physics of PES 5 but appreciate the extra sting the AI has in PES 2008 when attacking.

One thing that PES 2008 still has an issue with along with just about all the classic PS2 PES games is the lack of transfers offers in ML. Either I'm doing something wrong or I'm just not getting interest in any of my players - even when listed.

@geeeeee: Glad you liked it mate. The PES6-and-a-half bit is a kind of "sound bite" that doesn't really tell the whole story of course, it's just that when comparing the previous games with their predecessors (PES3 to PES2, PES4 to PES3, and so on), PES08 didn't change that much from PES6 - but the few small tweaks it had ended up taking the gameplay to a whole new level of greatness.

@reinelt97: Thanks man, and I'm suspicious about the transfers in the ML as well. I believe @geeeeee has had offers for his players on his PES08 adventures, but on my Defaults ML I just can't get any offers at all - which at this point it's natural given I've massively overpaid all of my players :P (Lothar on a 1000 PES salary says it all really...).

@rockstrongo @miguelfcp

Haland is just about wanted by everyone as well! The irony too is that he begun at Molde, where of course Solskjaer was managing and Man Utd are rumoured to be one of those interested in him - would the Solskjaer link tempt him there - assuming he hasn't been sacked by then of course! What irony though if he ended up at United!

That's great about Kulusevski, I didn't know he'd got a full cap now as well! It's amazing how many of those world youth league players are starting to make a mark in the first teams now. I've noticed some of Lyon's are starting to get on the bench including 16yr old Cherki, who was on the bench in the Champions League the other night. I wonder if any more of that very strong Atalanta squad will begin to appear? Also a couple of your Torino squad have been in the match day squads.

Oh and Ricky, what do you make of Ibrahimovic buying (25% stake was it?) in Hammarby! I hear Malmo fans are extremely pissed off but I also read they said Hammarby fans weren't that pleased about it either but maybe that was sour grapes on their part?
It's just so much fun seeing these youngsters being so good at this age,been a pleasure watching them this season.

Yeah the Z thing,a weird one at first really.
About 15 years ago we were in financial disarray,and being a 51% league we just didn't have any funds,and an American company AEG stepped in and bought 47% of our club,which is legal as long as the club is owned by at least 51% by it's members.

Thing is AEG isn't the most pleasant company to be co owned by,minimum effort etc,but it gave us the opportunity to get funds that way,plus the 47% of the club were run like a company which led to a cash flow (not necessarily by AEG) input,we could transfer player that way,having them owned by the 47% side.

I'd rather have us as a full membership co,but that's never going to happen, we've tried to buy the AEG shares for years,but they've been extremely hard to deal with.

So now that the news broke that Zlatan bought 50% of that share,I'm actually pretty pleased for a nr of reasons.
The day they our club put up our jersey with the nr 10 and Ibrahimovic on the back,the media exploded worldwide,and no one knew what it was about,playing for us?
No one knew.
The day after that and news came in that he'd be a co owner it was one of the biggest football story of that day,and the amount of pr coming our way?
Priceless!

I really think it's a good thing having him on our side,the name,the connections,the opportunities that opens up for us is massive.
We've been on a long journey,6 years ago,2nd Division,8 years ago almost 3rd division,now we've been a force to be reckon with,no team has had our attendance figures,not only here but for the rest of Scandinavia the past 7 years, unparalleled in our region
4th place last year,3rd this year (European nights baby) and like Zlatan said, Hammarby is the future,I really believe that.

The Malmö fans are a bunch of spoilt babies,serves them right:)
Just the fact that the "rocket scientists" tried to burn down a metal statue says it all.
I get that they're pissed, which makes it even more fun.
Just imagine Le Tissier buying in to Pompey and stating "Portsmouth is the future" bet you'd take that with a smile Matt:)

And now that Zlatan seems to be playing for Milan this season (January) we obviously expect them sending us Piatek/Donarumma/Suso etc as a token of their good will:)

Just imagine Le Tissier buying in to Pompey and stating "Portsmouth is the future" bet you'd take that with a smile Matt:)
:SHOCK:

Looks like it can only be a good thing then really. Maybe come the end of this season he might just end up at Hammarby for the rest of your season. I'm sure, given his ego, he would be well up for that! Imagine a late winner against Malmo to win the league. :LOL: Wonder if he'll end up going into management, in which case...

European nights... we had a couple of those once! Oh actually I'm forgetting the anglo-italian cup from the nineties. We actually played Fiorentina in that amongst others like Bari and Ascoli.

:SHOCK:

Looks like it can only be a good thing then really. Maybe come the end of this season he might just end up at Hammarby for the rest of your season. I'm sure, given his ego, he would be well up for that! Imagine a late winner against Malmo to win the league. :LOL: Wonder if he'll end up going into management, in which case...

European nights... we had a couple of those once! Oh actually I'm forgetting the anglo-italian cup from the nineties. We actually played Fiorentina in that amongst others like Bari and Ascoli.
I've only read about the Anglo-italian cup,sounds like a great idea,kinda miss stuff like that in modern football,like The inter toto cup (which we won ) playing against Utrecht and solid euro teams.
We had a thing called Royal League over here,played in the off months (dec-feb) Vs top teams from sweden,/Norway /Denmark always shitty weather and quite dynamic atmosphere in the stands.

Is it next year or the year after that they'll be watering down the European cups by adding a second Europa League.
Really a horrible idea imo,they should only have the league winners in the CL for starters,then a really competitive EL.
Uefa is such a strange organisation,just look at next year's Euro,played in god knows how many countries,not very fan friendly,one game in Dublin,the next in San Sebastian and a third in Bucharest type of deal

I've only read about the Anglo-italian cup,sounds like a great idea,kinda miss stuff like that in modern football,like The inter toto cup (which we won ) playing against Utrecht and solid euro teams.
We had a thing called Royal League over here,played in the off months (dec-feb) Vs top teams from sweden,/Norway /Denmark always shitty weather and quite dynamic atmosphere in the stands.

Is it next year or the year after that they'll be watering down the European cups by adding a second Europa League.
Really a horrible idea imo,they should only have the league winners in the CL for starters,then a really competitive EL.
Uefa is such a strange organisation,just look at next year's Euro,played in god knows how many countries,not very fan friendly,one game in Dublin,the next in San Sebastian and a third in Bucharest type of deal

Should go back to the old days. European Cup for the league winners, UEFA Cup for the next 2-3 then the Cup Winners Cup for the Cup winners. Oh and most importantly of all do away with the stupid group phases. Straight two leg knockout, you get knocked out, tough shit. Not oh we must do all we can to keep in the big clubs so we can generate as much money as possible for us and them.

As for knocked out qualifying stage teams and 3rd placed finishers in the group going into the Europa cup give me a break.

The Euro's seem ridiculous, playing them all over the place, how can you generate a tournament atmosphere when some teams are going to be playing at home, others playing all over the place and it going on in god knows how many countries. I honestly think their meetings must consist of coming up with the worst ideas possible and then implementing them.

Just found the Anglo-Italian cup results from the year we played Fiorentina . I seem to remember that it was a cracking game. http://www.rsssf.com/tablesa/angloit94.html

Should go back to the old days. European Cup for the league winners, UEFA Cup for the next 2-3 then the Cup Winners Cup for the Cup winners. Oh and most importantly of all do away with the stupid group phases. Straight two leg knockout, you get knocked out, tough shit. Not oh we must do all we can to keep in the big clubs so we can generate as much money as possible for us and them.

As for knocked out qualifying stage teams and 3rd placed finishers in the group going into the Europa cup give me a break.

The Euro's seem ridiculous, playing them all over the place, how can you generate a tournament atmosphere when some teams are going to be playing at home, others playing all over the place and it going on in god knows how many countries. I honestly think their meetings must consist of coming up with the worst ideas possible and then implementing them.

Just found the Anglo-Italian cup results from the year we played Fiorentina . I seem to remember that it was a cracking game. http://www.rsssf.com/tablesa/angloit94.html
Man that's a lovely fixture list for the Anglo-italian cup.
Yeah modern format on Euro cups are shite.
Winners =CL etc like you described.
The Euros next year is a god damn joke,not only the format,but keeping Bulgaria and Romania as venues after what happened there?
Should be banned straight away.
(Probably get an angry Bulgarian/Romanian on me now)
Then we have the lovely WC in Qatar...

What a great read on a great game. PES 2008 (PS2) really is a lost gem of a footy game - one that still plays better than anything on current gen.

I still prefer the ball physics of PES 5 but appreciate the extra sting the AI has in PES 2008 when attacking.

One thing that PES 2008 still has an issue with along with just about all the classic PS2 PES games is the lack of transfers offers in ML. Either I'm doing something wrong or I'm just not getting interest in any of my players - even when listed.
@geeeeee: Glad you liked it mate. The PES6-and-a-half bit is a kind of "sound bite" that doesn't really tell the whole story of course, it's just that when comparing the previous games with their predecessors (PES3 to PES2, PES4 to PES3, and so on), PES08 didn't change that much from PES6 - but the few small tweaks it had ended up taking the gameplay to a whole new level of greatness.

@reinelt97: Thanks man, and I'm suspicious about the transfers in the ML as well. I believe @geeeeee has had offers for his players on his PES08 adventures, but on my Defaults ML I just can't get any offers at all - which at this point it's natural given I've massively overpaid all of my players :P (Lothar on a 1000 PES salary says it all really...).

Sorry to quote myself but below is a short video of transfer offers I received for my 2 top strikers. I was playing as Brentford though and not with the ML defaults.

I had it on the middle transfer setting.

Also just finished the first season and it is good to see offers coming in for my 2 top strikers.

I believe the transfer system was broke in PES5 because it was rare to get offers for players.

Back
Top Bottom