The Retro-PES Corner

@Flipper the Priest I don't think they have a lot of quality players compared to some of the other teams or at least not enough of them. Philiponeau seems to be the most consistent and the CB's and keeper seem fairly decent.

I also think the physical side of things doesn't help them, Atalanta for example are a very strong team in comparison to some, physically that is. Which does make a difference at these ages as we know. Marseille seem quite 'frail' in comparison.

So all in all I wouldn't worry about the 'We want Flipper out' chants :LOL: Seriously though I think you have the weakest team so it's not a real shock they are bottom.

@geeeeee

Thanks, I'll take a look :))

@MafiaMurderBag @Madmac79 I must give the pc 2008 version another try. Originally of course I went into off the back of loving 3-6 and just couldn't take to it at all. Not helped by the awful main menu as well. I did try it briefly last year but to be fair I think I still went into biased and only played a game or two. I need to give it a fair go without a pre conceived mind set.

@geeeeee Just loaded up the editor and I see it's like the original 5 and 6 one's in that it doesn't have a csv import option. :( @juce added a csv import option to the pes6 editor which @PeterC10 then added more to. If someone could add that import option into the 5 and 2008 editors then every single PES6 patch option file could be quickly converted by exporting the csv from there and then importing it into the other two Editors. This would then open up a load of different playing patches due to the different pes versions they'd be played on. For instance I'd love to see how the Amador file would play on PES5 and PES2008.

Going back to the global edits I always thought it was a bit odd that there was an option to exclude a team rather than to select a team instead - that would have been a workaround for you in this instance even if it did mean doing it team by team it's still a huge time saving than individually.

@MadbaLL Hey, Probably haven't played PES 2008 for a while, wondered as seeing as you're a bit of an expert with internal resolutions - Have you tried playing this one in 2160x3840?

I have and it looks amazing, But the issue is and only seems to affect 2008, Is that the with the higher internal resolution, The gameplay camera zooms in or is stretched so you can't actually see the goal, corner flags or touchlines at the bottom of the screen, even on the widest camera.

I've never actually had this issue with any of the other retro PC versions in 4K but can't figure out how to stop the in-game screen from zooming in?

Did you find a fix for this @MafiaMurderBag ? Just installed 2008 to give it another go and I'm having exactly the same problem. Same resolution as you were trying, looks wrong graphically as well plus like you said you can't seee the bottom touchline or even the goal in some situations. Driving me mad at the moment trying different things! Guess I'll try it on 1980 for now.

Last edited:
@geeeeee I was just searching online seeing as the pes2008 editor appears to only be for ps2 option files and there seems to have been an editor called pes-arg 2008 editor that I think worked with pc option files. Anyway what it also mentioned was being able to import the player row from a csv dump. However I can't find any working download link at the moment. Don't know if you know of it or if any else has it.

@geeeeee Just loaded up the editor and I see it's like the original 5 and 6 one's in that it doesn't have a csv import option. :( @juce added a csv import option to the pes6 editor which @PeterC10 then added more to. If someone could add that import option into the 5 and 2008 editors then every single PES6 patch option file could be quickly converted by exporting the csv from there and then importing it into the other two Editors. This would then open up a load of different playing patches due to the different pes versions they'd be played on. For instance I'd love to see how the Amador file would play on PES5 and PES2008.

Going back to the global edits I always thought it was a bit odd that there was an option to exclude a team rather than to select a team instead - that would have been a workaround for you in this instance even if it did mean doing it team by team it's still a huge time saving than individually.

I thought that would be the case. I checked today and realised that I could only Export and not Import :(

Yeh it is strange about excluding one team only. I wonder if it is a typing error and that if you select it it includes that team only.

@geeeeee I was just searching online seeing as the pes2008 editor appears to only be for ps2 option files and there seems to have been an editor called pes-arg 2008 editor that I think worked with pc option files. Anyway what it also mentioned was being able to import the player row from a csv dump. However I can't find any working download link at the moment. Don't know if you know of it or if any else has it.

Hmm... no I have not heard of that before. I will search for it also. Thanks again for your efforts Matt. :)

@geeeeee I've just found another editor by W!ld for PES 2008, it loads in the pes2008_edit01.bin that you get from saving in the edit section. I guess that is there in the PS version? Does that save that file? If so if you can then get it onto your pc and assuming the editor loads the PS edit01 file (it loads the pc one) then you can get your players into the editor.

From there, there is an option to import a csv into the editor ( not directly but you can then import players individually from it). I tried it by doing a csv export from the editor you uploaded with your file. That successfully loaded into this editor and I could, one player at a time then import players. A fairly long process but it would work. However the editor also has a global edit AND it has the ability to select it by team :) So you could do one team, start a ML and make sure none of those other players are showing up before going on to do the other teams. Again a bit of a lengthy process but workable. I guess it would makes sense to do a global edit on all teams first in the hope that it works using this editor without causing the other players to then appear in ML.

That's all assuming you can save and export the edit01 file of course!

It will also load in a pes6 csv it says, going to try that in a minute.

Did you find a fix for this @MafiaMurderBag ? Just installed 2008 to give it another go and I'm having exactly the same problem. Same resolution as you were trying, looks wrong graphically as well plus like you said you can't seee the bottom touchline or even the goal in some situations. Driving me mad at the moment trying different things! Guess I'll try it on 1980 for now.
I had to take the compromise of altering the gameplay camera in kitserver and using camera value 999 in the cfg file. I've posted my config in the spoiler.

[bootserv]
online.enabled = 0
random.enabled = 0

[bserv]
random.auto = 0

[camera]
angle = 999

[fserv]
online.enabled = 0

[kload]
dll = zlib1.dll
dll = libpng13.dll
dll = lodmixer.dll
dll = afsio.dll
dll = kserv.dll
dll = fserv.dll
dll = bootserv.dll
dll = stadium.dll
dll = bserv.dll
dll = afs2fs.dll
dll = sched.dll
dll = rwdata.dll
dll = camera.dll
dll = time.dll
gdb.dir = ".\"

[kserv]
use.description = 1

[lodmixer]
aspect-ratio.correction.enabled = 1
controller.check.enabled = 1
lod.switch1 = 0.005
lod.switch2 = 0.005
screen.aspect-ratio = 1.77730
screen.height = 2160
screen.width = 3840

It looks crisp in 4x internal res but because the game was never designed with even 1080p in mind it clearly won't scale in an even higher res. With the right camera value you can see enough of the goal but still lose the bottom touchline and corner flag.

@geeeeee I've just found another editor by W!ld for PES 2008, it loads in the pes2008_edit01.bin that you get from saving in the edit section. I guess that is there in the PS version? Does that save that file? If so if you can then get it onto your pc and assuming the editor loads the PS edit01 file (it loads the pc one) then you can get your players into the editor.

From there, there is an option to import a csv into the editor ( not directly but you can then import players individually from it). I tried it by doing a csv export from the editor you uploaded with your file. That successfully loaded into this editor and I could, one player at a time then import players. A fairly long process but it would work. However the editor also has a global edit AND it has the ability to select it by team :) So you could do one team, start a ML and make sure none of those other players are showing up before going on to do the other teams. Again a bit of a lengthy process but workable. I guess it would makes sense to do a global edit on all teams first in the hope that it works using this editor without causing the other players to then appear in ML.

That's all assuming you can save and export the edit01 file of course!

It will also load in a pes6 csv it says, going to try that in a minute.

That’s great Matt!

Hah hah I am so confused but it sounds amazing! I will have to give it a go hopefully tomorrow.

Do you happen to have the link please?

Thanks

Been watching a YouTuber I liked back in the day doing a PES 2014 master league.

the game looks much better than I remember. I wish that I’d given that game more time. I think the PS4 was released a month or so later with FIFA 14 and it sidetracked me.

I do remember we could have custom soundtracks, I loved loading my music into the game and seeing the names of the tracks pop up it was so cool.

@MafiaMurderBag Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. I've got it at 1920*1080 at the moment and it looks surprisingly good doesn't it.
Yup, That's the art direction of the game that shines. What i liked about these older games was that they weren't hyper realistic looking like PES 2020, But the visuals and player models are stylised yet recognisable.

Thanks to time and the progression of technology we can restore they way these games were intended to look. PES 2008 is one of those games most people remember playing behind a blurry low res laggy experience on console.
Been watching a YouTuber I liked back in the day doing a PES 2014 master league.

the game looks much better than I remember. I wish that I’d given that game more time. I think the PS4 was released a month or so later with FIFA 14 and it sidetracked me.

I do remember we could have custom soundtracks, I loved loading my music into the game and seeing the names of the tracks pop up it was so cool.
I went through a massive phase playing PES 2014 earlier this year, Like PES 2008 it was one of those games that's often referred to as a dark PES moment in the franchises history but once again, In hindsight, You can appreciate that it had some very interesting ideas and mechanics and is one of the only prototypes in the franchise for a pure simulation.

I tried Pes 2008 (on pc, with kitserver) and it's indeed very different from what I remember. What is striking me the most is the pace and the animations, that are the better out of maybe all the sequent games until (imho) 2012. I'm playing with the first out broadcast view (the one without big angles) and it looks, and feels lovely.

AI is not the mess I remember either. Do the official patches change something significant? It's been more than ten years and I can't remember installing them back in the days, while now I put in 1.10.

I tried Pes 2008 (on pc, with kitserver) and it's indeed very different from what I remember. What is striking me the most is the pace and the animations, that are the better out of maybe all the sequent games until (imho) 2012. I'm playing with the first out broadcast view (the one without big angles) and it looks, and feels lovely.

AI is not the mess I remember either. Do the official patches change something significant? It's been more than ten years and I can't remember installing them back in the days, while now I put in 1.10.

Yeah as far as the pace, this is one of those slower ones. I always had a theory that starting with PES 3 (I haven't played 1 & 2 on the PS2 since they were released) Konami alternated between slow & faster, Sim & more accessible gameplay each year.

3, being slow, 4 being fast, 5 was slow simulation, 6 was faster, 2008 was slower & so on. Call me crazy but in the simplist terms I think Konami simply rotated gameplay philosophy year on & year off.

I'll have to check what version I'm on, I'm using the Virtua Red patch so they might be using the latest official patch anyway but I'd be surprised if the tweaked the gameplay back then. If anything it might have been for functional things like menu improvements or online support.

Anyway, It's time for some knockout football!

It's Quarter Final time! Co-hosts collide as Switzerland literally host Austria, World Champions Italy take on underachievers Spain, Favourites face off as Germany challenge Portugal and former European Champions France battle dark horses Sweden.

Got PES3 to work albeit in a terrible resolution and without kitserver so bad camera as well. This is impossible. This fucking game is sixteen years old, and it still - STILL - beats new PES. Simple and efficient. Almost minimalistic, and yet shooting, especially shooting, seems light years ahead of what we've got now.

I need a better machine to play this beauty in 1080p like last summer. Oh. My. God!!!!!!!!!

Got PES3 to work albeit in a terrible resolution and without kitserver so bad camera as well. This is impossible. This fucking game is sixteen years old, and it still - STILL - beats new PES. Simple and efficient. Almost minimalistic, and yet shooting, especially shooting, seems light years ahead of what we've got now.

I need a better machine to play this beauty in 1080p like last summer. Oh. My. God!!!!!!!!!

It truly is brilliant.
On some levels better than PES 5/6
Anyone played PES 4 recently?
Wondering how it holds up.

PES 4 is definitely least favourite of mine, I don't know it seemed somewhat too quick and all over the place, then again it would be worth checking out, gotta look for PES 4 installers in Sany's thread!

I remember trying to recreate WIsła Kraków's logo in PES4 ML logo editor. Good luck 11 years old me :LMAO:

5db838802e39b.jpg

It truly is brilliant.
On some levels better than PES 5/6
Anyone played PES 4 recently?
Wondering how it holds up.
I played 4 a few weeks ago, It's still a fun game in its own right, it's obviously the arcady turn in the simulation/arcade order of PES releases.

I'll never forget waiting for the new issue of Official PlayStation magazine for the world exclusive demo, being so excited yet so confused... My first introduction to "just because you're good at the previous game, Don't mean you'll be good at this one immediately".

Just played few games on WE7 International with Wendetta (look up Sany's thread in PES6 for installer) and it seems to be some sort of PES 3 and 4 mix. A lot faster, which I don't mind! Also I can't get over the fact that AI actually attempted long balls which made sense given I played against Korea with big ass 2 meters Seol Ki Hyeon at the front :D

@Flipper the Priest are there any good external editors for PES3/WE7I? I would not mind fiddling around with this game myself. Last summer I did ML with fake Polish team Commonwealth, I could make some gud teams :D cheers!!

ps2 pes best!

Playing as Brentford v Arsenal, Arsenal dominating until Ceballos got a straight red in about the 35th minute.

Then the game changed and we were taking advantage of the extra man. We went 2-0 up with about 10 mins left and Arsenal made a change...

1572736389769.jpeg
Not sure if i have seen such an extreme change before. :DD

We got a third on the break. Great stuff.

Been playing a fair bit of PES 2011 over the last couple of days. Still a great game. I remember adoring '11 - '13 so much when they were relevant.

The ball physics can be a little floaty on '11 but can be pretty satisfying at times too. It was a breath of fresh air when Konami started modernising the mechanics at this point while still retaining that classic PES feel.

Also, I'm down to the semi finals of Euro 2008

We're down to the final four! Underdog's Switzerland continue their fairy-tale Euro odyssey against "underachievers" Spain who blew away world champions Italy in the quarters, Then favourites Portugal take on dark horses, Sweden!

PS3 PES is so difficult to wrap head around for me. There is something, something very weird. The most infuriating thing is camera, I totally despise angled cameras, I remember going through tons of editors trying to fix it. It was painful. And games had that something yes but animations were heartbreaking at times.

Maybe a WC 2010 series on PES 11 would change my mind? :D Think about it. I loved Uruguay '10 and wanted them to win so badly. Give them another chance!

PES3 Is a blast. I really want to start ML but I'm forced into awful resolution and a very closed up camera, kitserver crashes the game on Linux :( Otherwise its phenomenal. I am literally looking into buying a proper gaming laptop so that I can play and record it with absolutely max graphics possible :D

Is anyone playing PS2 PES with intergrated graphics card in a laptop? Any opinions?

Anyway yeah enough of that playing is believing trash, we back home bois!

PS3 PES is so difficult to wrap head around for me. There is something, something very weird. The most infuriating thing is camera, I totally despise angled cameras, I remember going through tons of editors trying to fix it. It was painful. And games had that something yes but animations were heartbreaking at times.

Maybe a WC 2010 series on PES 11 would change my mind? :D Think about it. I loved Uruguay '10 and wanted them to win so badly. Give them another chance!

PES3 Is a blast. I really want to start ML but I'm forced into awful resolution and a very closed up camera, kitserver crashes the game on Linux :( Otherwise its phenomenal. I am literally looking into buying a proper gaming laptop so that I can play and record it with absolutely max graphics possible :D

Is anyone playing PS2 PES with intergrated graphics card in a laptop? Any opinions?

Anyway yeah enough of that playing is believing trash, we back home bois!
Yeah the camera angles were the worst thing about those games, That was when Konami had a real fetish with giving the user a lack of cosmetic choice, forcing a high camera angle on us and not allowing us to disable the radar. If you were on the PC you could liberate your self from this but i can't imagine how stifling the experience must've been on console.

So i was making a deep look on the most recent , PES catch-phrases, you know the promo-quotes, that stay with the game's trailer and the whole year usually. They came true when KONAMI adapted a more west-minded marketing strategy, the only case is that the quotes-marketing was more a 2000~2010 think and they adopted it in the decade 2011~2020, but that's KONAMI after all. So starting by memory:

1) The King is back!

2) The Pitch is ours!

3) We control reality!

4) Where legends are made!

5) Playing is believing! (this is the most new one, i think)

:BY: :BY: :BY:

Back
Top Bottom