The Retro-PES Corner

Thanks for that slamsoze, I was not at all aware of the state of the edit mode in modern-PES. I actually thought it was much better than the retro ones, as it'd only be natural if that was the case. In a game like PES6 you're able to use, what, 400 hairstyles - not counting the generic ones?
Yeah. Possibly due to licensing, they keep locking everything, especially the officially 3D scanned players. Since PES 2017 you cannot edit the hairstyle of a player with a scanned face. Since 2018 you cannot even edit at all face and hairstyle of scanned players. To give you examples, i am trapped for eternity, with a platinum-blond (Marylin Monroe style) haired Messi and Neymar in PES 2017 and a Madonna-blond Lewandowski in 2018.

Also pre-2014 the scanned faced and the generic faces built in game-editor were on par or close enough in quality. Since 2015 the faces built in game editor look so bad (with only some exceptions). Also you cannot use the face database as it worked in PS2 PES games, at least on consoles, all official faces are locked.

Check how Saint-Maximin looks after a decent attempt in face editor (imagine that the default generic face+hairstyle on game release was even worse)

And how he looks with an original scanned face. After 05:32

Last edited:
Match Day 13

Greece v England

Greece (4-5-1)

GK Christogeorgos
CB Gotzamanidis
CB Boskouidis
RB Lyratzis
LB Galoupis
DM Alexandropoulos
CM Athanasakopoulos
CM Vraka
SM Emmanouilidis
SM Marinos
CF Serpezis

England (4-3-3)

GK Okonkwo
CB Panzo
CB Medley
RB Eyoma
LB L.Gibson
DM Oakley-Boothe
AM Smith-Rowe
AM Foden
RW Sancho
LW Hudson-Odoi
CF Griffiths

If double barrelled surnames counted for anything England would already be assured of winning the World Youth Cup.

England made a really good start to the game and Griffiths might have scored had he shown more composure. Greece settled down a bit after that and began to pose a problem or two. After that early flurry of chances the Greek defence got on top of the England attack and were giving up very little. A few fouls led to three yellow cards as frustration got the better of one or two. Foden and Oakley-Boothe going into the book along with Galoupis of Greece. Greece had a good shot for a penalty but didn't get it. Then on 42 minutes a free kick out by the left touchline for Greece led to the firsit goal. Oakley-Boothe completely switching of as Papdopolous who ironically had just come on for the injure Serpezis (fouled even more ironically by Oakley-Boothe!) nipped in front of him to poke the ball home into the roof of the net! A hard side to break down at any time England had now made their life doubly difficult.

Half Time and Greece had 6 shots to England's 3.

The second half started with England on top but unable to really get into the Greek box to cause any problems whilst Greece had one attack that led to a header over the top by Papadopolous. The England manager had seen enough, hauling off the ineffective Sancho for Brewster on 56 minutes. Almost immediately England were level. Hudson-Odoi clipped a nice ball over the top to Griffiths, who played a lovely 1-2 with the post before prodding home the rebound! A minute later and things got worse for Greece. Griffiths played in Brewster down near the corner of the box. Galoupis, caught out of position, rushed back and slid in recklessly, bringing the Englishman down. He knew right away what he'd done and could only hold his head in his hands as the referee ran over waving a yellow card swiftly followed by a red.

The timing could not have been worse with England having just got themselves back in the game. England began to build pressure on the Greek defence. On 64 minutes Greenwood came on for Hudson-Odoiwho had been quiet apart from his assist. Brewster switched to the left. Within seconds Brewster got the ball on the half way line. He turned and saw Griffiths making a run. He flighted a lovely ball over the top and Griffiths was in! Could he finish? In a word, yes! Emphatically smashing it past the keeper. 2-1 England. On 68 minutes Smith-Rowe got Greenwood away down the right, he beat his man and whipped in a cross. It was headed out but although going to Alexandropolous his touch was heavy. Smith-Rowe nipped in on the loose ball and fed it into Griffiths near the penalty spot. He turned and buried it! 3-1! A 12 minute hat-trick for Griffiths!! In the space of 12 minutes England had gone from a goal down to a man advantage and a 2 goal lead.

Greece had clearly lost heart now and soon England were in again. Greenwood getting clear down the right from Griffith's ball. He tried to square it back to him but it got blocked but only as far as Brewster who hit it first time but could only guide it just past the post.

72 mins Smith-Rowe won the ball again in the centre circle played it in to Griffiths who spotted Brewster's run as he turned and clipped the ball over the Greek defence. Brewster was clear and bearing down on the area. He took it early and placed it nicely into the right hand side of the goal. 4-1!

77 mins a poor clearance played it straight into Brewster's path and he was away down the left hand edge of the penalty area. He pulled it back towards Greenwood but he got a poor connection on it and shot straight at the keeper.

As the clock ticked down Foden had a free kick for England a fair way out. He struck it well but it was routine for the keeper. With time just about up Greece suddenly got in as Ntoumanis hit a ball over the England defence for Papadopolous. He raced after it whilst Okonkwo tarted to come out as well. Papadopolous just got their first but Okonkwo stayed big to block the shot

Full Time

Greece 1 England 4

The sending off was the key moment without a doubt, although England had just levelled things up. They really made the extra man count in a 15 minutes spell, scoring four good goals including the tournamenent's first hat-trick as Griffiths goes into the lead for the Golden Boot in the space of 12 minutes. Eclipsing even Ruiz's 2 for Spain in a 5 minute spell. The Greeks had done very well in the first half, having the most of the chances and taking the lead as well as having a very good shout for a penalty. Had that been given and they'd gone in with a 2-0 lead then who knows what might have happened.

M.o.M Has to be Griffith's for his clinical finishes and chipping in with an assist as well. We've seen a lot of strikers fluff their lines so far but not today.

Worthy Mentions: Brewster did exceptionally well when coming on for the last half hour or so grabbing a goal and an assist. Smith-Rowe played well throughout and got an assist as well as having a hand in another as well.

Disappointments: Sancho had a poor game and Hudson-Odoi was quiet as well although he set up the first goal. With Griffiths, Brewster and Greenwood linking up well, albeit against ten men, the manager might have some selection headaches for the next round.

In England manager @sniglet's post-game interview he praised both Brewster and Griffiths saying, "We had hoped Rhain would start the game for us up top today as he's been doing well in training, but he turned his ankle slightly in the warm-up. Luckily, Reo stepped in and took his chances well. Seeing Rhian come on and grab a goal for himself was a great moment. Triffic, just triffic."

On the performance as a whole he said: "We are pleased with the result. I think the lads were a bit complacent in the first half and you could see their frustration at times. I just reminded them of their quality at halftime and told them to up their game and their second half performance was a credit to them and my management abilities. To say that the red card helped us is ridiculous; the game was headed in our favour before that incident and downplays my role in the win."

On his recent and public spat with Phil Neville, @sniglet was characteristically blunt: "Phil Neville shouldn't be trusted to manage a pound shop, never mind an English national team."

Thanks for that slamsoze, I was not at all aware of the state of the edit mode in modern-PES. I actually thought it was much better than the retro ones, as it'd only be natural if that was the case. In a game like PES6 you're able to use, what, 400 hairstyles - not counting the generic ones?

@miguelfcp , you would think so but the contemporary world seems to have much less variety and creativity in many areas.
@slamsoze , the newer games force you to have a photo-realistic scanned face of Wayne Rooney and you can't give him some hair, face mask and goggles.

Waynaldo should sue Konami....:R1:R1:R1

Match Day 13

Greece v England
What a game, Dodgy start but they turned up the heat and blew them away. I liked Greece's finish from the corner. Tidy reaction, I don't think the scorer was anticipating that reaching him at the far post and it was refreshing to seem him volley it (The diving headers are really gratuitous on PES 6)

Gotta love Englands equalizer. The manager was about to scream at his super sub for amusing himself with an impromptu crossbar challenge before correcting himself on the rebound and all is good in the world. Ahh RetroPES.

@geeeeee , buddy, still down today for me too. PES Neoseeker and PES Master are working at least.

Along with evoweb it is one of my most used sites. I didn't realise how much i would miss it. :SHOCK:

PSD should be up soon, can't tell when, we're having some error with the server we're trying to fix

Sorry to hear that you are having problems but good news that it will be up soon.

Thanks for the update matey much appreciated :))

Always thought both Neville and Southgate were on their way to do toastmaster stuff...
They sure look the part

@rockstrongo , The English FA and alot of the fans always fall under the spell of some dude in a morning suit alright. Capello, McLaren, Southgate, Neville.

Must be that English deference for the upper classes or something.

The Dinner is getting the tuxedo dry cleaned and applying for a Dukedom........

:BEER:

@rockstrongo , The English FA and alot of the fans always fall under the spell of some dude in a morning suit alright. Capello, McLaren, Southgate, Neville.

Must be that English deference for the upper classes or something.

The Dinner is getting the tuxedo dry cleaned and applying for a Dukedom........

:BEER:
If you fancy an assistant,I'll sort the tuxedos out
Screenshot_20190703-212115~2.jpg

I must be a complete idiot,but the can't set up my ML for Pes 5 (pc)
I pick a team and I end up in div 2 (which is fine) but how do I set up up all other Div 1s?
Can't see any edit button on my the ML screen?
IMG_20190703_213624.jpg

@rockstrongo I think you have to unlock it in the shop with the pes points if I remember right, you do in 6. If you use the pes5 editor and load the option file into it you can unlock everything.

@rockstrongo I think you have to unlock it in the shop with the pes points if I remember right, you do in 6. If you use the pes5 editor and load the option file into it you can unlock everything.
Cool,thanks a bunch Matt,so rusty at this on pc,haven't done this since PES 6,10+ years a go.
Could I find the Pes 5 editor here (or I'll Google)

Feels like a sad day for me. After getting so bored of the latest FIFA and PES games, I decided to break out the old PS2 and fire up PES 5.

Sigh!

Played this to death up until a couple of years ago but I can't, I just can't anymore. Everything has moved on now and I no longer have a dedicated football game to play. It's actually very depressing.

@slamsoze: Well, given the series' modern audience, I think our generation will be the last ever to have set foot on the game's edit mode...so they won't probably miss the lack of editing options anyway.

@rockstrongo: no patch/OF for your PES5 save? Just like the Retro-PES Bible commands, is it not reverend @WhoAteMeDinner? Thou shalt not mess around with the natural balance of thy simulation, or thou shalt feel the wrath of The Lord Seabass. Just ask @mattmid. :PP

@bluewomble88: I don't know your situation but if you're coming from a long period of playing modern PES and FIFA and then try out PS2 PES out of a sudden, it's only natural to feel like you do. Eventually, after playing a lot of it you won't feel the need to compare the game with the modern one and you'll begin to just enjoy it for what it brings to the table.
But even if you can't have fun with it for some reason, you do have many more football games to play. From the ISS Pro Evo series to PES3, PES6, even - incoming retro-PES blasphemy - a modded FIFA16; in my mind it's impossible for a football fan not to enjoy at least one of these.

@slamsoze: Well, given the series' modern audience, I think our generation will be the last ever to have set foot on the game's edit mode...so they won't probably miss the lack of editing options anyway.

@rockstrongo: no patch/OF for your PES5 save? Just like the Retro-PES Bible commands, is it not reverend @WhoAteMeDinner? Thou shalt not mess around with the natural balance of thy simulation, or thou shalt feel the wrath of The Lord Seabass. Just ask @mattmid. :PP

@bluewomble88: I don't know your situation but if you're coming from a long period of playing modern PES and FIFA and then try out PS2 PES out of a sudden, it's only natural to feel like you do. Eventually, after playing a lot of it you won't feel the need to compare the game with the modern one and you'll begin to just enjoy it for what it brings to the table.
But even if you can't have fun with it for some reason, you do have many more football games to play. From the ISS Pro Evo series to PES3, PES6, even - incoming retro-PES blasphemy - a modded FIFA16; in my mind it's impossible for a football fan not to enjoy at least one of these.
How can i mod my fifa 16 on pc? Any suggestions much appreciated

Feels like a sad day for me. After getting so bored of the latest FIFA and PES games, I decided to break out the old PS2 and fire up PES 5.

Sigh!

Played this to death up until a couple of years ago but I can't, I just can't anymore. Everything has moved on now and I no longer have a dedicated football game to play. It's actually very depressing.

Hi bluewomble, long time no hear. Sorry you feeling that way. If i remember you only played international matches and not Master League on PES5. If that’s the case i really think you should try to give the ML a go. Try the challenges at the beginning of this thread and share your experiences.

I think once you start doing that you should get a bit of a feel for the retro PES again. :)

That CPU vs CPU league you used to do, is it still active? Or do you have a link to the old forum? I love the retro PES echo system where I only have minimal influence on the outcome of the game, (either as fixed player or managing only) so I would be curious to check that out.
Might be a lot more rare in PES 6, its the one I've played by far the most, also use to run a league in PES 6 on another forum where it was CPU vs CPU but with users as the manager. So probably played/watched thousands of hours. :D

That CPU vs CPU league you used to do, is it still active? Or do you have a link to the old forum? I love the retro PES echo system where I only have minimal influence on the outcome of the game, (either as fixed player or managing only) so I would be curious to check that out.

Sadly it stopped running a while ago. :( Was going from 2009-2015. It was first on the Colours of Football forum then migrated to a forum I hosted with everyone involved, but both are shut down now.

I still have all the info from the matches, league tables, players stats etc saved. Quite a lot of videos still on YouTube but a load of images I uploaded to ImageShack and didn't back up that are now lost forever sadly!

We managed about 5 full league seasons (also had a second division so promotion/relegation to make things more interesting!) along with various cup competitions and even a few international competitions. Was great fun just took too long to run. If I'm ever able to bring it back I will let you know. :)

Back
Top Bottom