The Retro-PES Corner

I actually think they lack solid experience AND leadership on the field. It was evident in the WC that once they conceded, Their heads dropped, They lacked belief and usually went on to lose and they very nearly did against Columbia. It was a miracle they even stole it against Tunisia so even that wasn't a very convincing performance against weak opposition.

Yeah that's a good point actually. The passing out at the back is a recipe for disaster as well, particularly when Stones is involved who has always seemed like an accident waiting to happen with that to me. I know they say risk and reward but how many goals are scored by playing it in those sorts of positions, to chances given up by losing it there? Don't know the stats but I wouldn't say it was that positive. It's not so much that I'm against it just that it seems to be the new trend that teams must do, rather than do it when it's worth doing. Much like this really high line at free kicks now, that's now the in thing to do.

Bloody hell what a game!

It was such an enjoyable game!
Russia really gave everything and even watching from a neutral perspective I was willing them on by the end. When Germany missed the first penalty I thought, Come on! Ready to take on another team for this round or want to wait until the 2nd round?

@geeeeee: Long time no see! Glad you're still editing your PES08 OF, that's a kind of valuable work that's worth being continued. I thought you'd like to know I'm still playing my PES08 PS2 ML, eleven seasons later, and loving the game as always. Truly a lost gem, and a game I can't get tired of - actually the more I play it the more I love it :D

I can't answer your question, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was hardcoded instead of freely variable...

About the L1 + triangle passing in PES5/WE9LE, it's certainly not that great. It's got a weird trajectory which is not very useful for the kind of passes both the player and CPU want to pull off. The strange thing is, PES4 nails it as well as PES6, so what the hell happened in PES5?
---
Last night I played a bit of ISS Pro Evo 2, started an International Cup with...Portugal, of course :DD. I don't think I've ever been able to rob the CPU as shamelessly as I did on the three group stage games.
First match vs. France, they completely dominated us, Vidigal was sent off thirty minutes before the end...but all it took was a long free kick, Nuno Gomes headers it to Joao Pinto (or P. Vieira, according to Konami..) and he scores. France tied it later on, and the game would end 1-1. The shot count was 20-3 :D

Then, vs. Nigeria. Should've been an easier one, right? Well, again I got completely outclassed and they even had more clear cut chances than France on the previous game. Thanks to Baia, we kept a clean sheet. Five minutes before the end, Pauleta scores. 0-1 Portugal wins it, I couldn't help but laugh. 20-something shots vs. 4 or 5 of mine!

Last match vs. Denmark, a draw would suffice to go through. Again we were dominated by the opponent...and just a couple of minutes after the halftime, Pauleta scores after a great through pass by Nuno Gomes. 0-1, we win it, 11-4 shot count again favouring the opponent, and I honestly can't remember us having any other decent chance besides the goal we scored.

After 3 red cards in just 3 matches, God knows how many yellow cards; and after trying to play actual football but always failing at it, Portugal's current gameplay is the following...
Step 1 - give the ball to Paulo Sousa.
Step 2 - press :square:
Step 3 - either Nuno Gomes or Pauleta will try to header the ball
Step 4 - if Step 3 is successful, than give the ball to Figo.
Step 5 - ??? profit.

So far it's working, even if barely.

Needless to say, this game is fantastic. It kicks your ass like few other football games do. This game has a particular quality: often, while you have the ball on a crowded midfield, you get that feeling that can only be translated as 'holy sheet what do I do with the ball someone help me aarrrggghhh there it is I lost it'. I can't remember many football games in which I felt this. Either you're fast and clever enough, or even with the likes of Figo and Rui Costa, you'll lose the ball more often than not.

Needless to say, [ISS PE2] is fantastic. It kicks your ass like few other football games do. This game has a particular quality: often, while you have the ball on a crowded midfield, you get that feeling that can only be translated as 'holy sheet what do I do with the ball someone help me aarrrggghhh there it is I lost it'. I can't remember many football games in which I felt this. Either you're fast and clever enough, or even with the likes of Figo and Rui Costa, you'll lose the ball more often than not.
My absolute favourite PES and always will be, I think. I played WE6FE to death, and WE7 to WE9 a little less, and I even enjoy some of the modern games (PES 2017 gave me the longest Master League since the PSX days)... but every time I play ISS PE2 I feel joy.

Probably because of childhood nostalgia, I'll admit - but the noise of the crowd, the waving flags, the drum being thumped by the crowd when you score, even the pause menu's "da-ding"... Every little piece makes me happy.

@geeeeee Thanks :)

I've often wondered if the team's slot has any kind of 'bonus' based on who the original team was. I've never really edited PES2008 thanks to not enjoying the PC version, but it's something I have thought about with previous versions. I've never really tested it out though so I can't really say there is. It is Konami though so anything is possible.

I suppose one way to test it would be to put a load of poor players into a top default team and see?

I spent quite a few hours with the Youth OF and ML salary and after many ID swaps and curses of Konami and just what the hell kind of algorithm they use for it, I eventually got the top end looking really good and avoided any of those rogue 5000's!
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/project-odyssey.80094/page-3#post-3397347

Yeh the good thing is that if you make a good player over a high valued player then his value is quite realistic. I managed to find an earlier post (literally took me about 20mins) here... The Retro-PES Corner

I will probably do what you said and put some poor players in Barcelona and see what happens.

@geeeeee: Long time no see! Glad you're still editing your PES08 OF, that's a kind of valuable work that's worth being continued. I thought you'd like to know I'm still playing my PES08 PS2 ML, eleven seasons later, and loving the game as always. Truly a lost gem, and a game I can't get tired of - actually the more I play it the more I love it :D

I can't answer your question, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was hardcoded instead of freely variable...

I can’t give it up because i am still playing my competition with my brother. I should post the results as we have finally reached the Round of 32.

That’s great to hear you are still playing it. I will hopefully start a new one in a few months time.

@slamsoze: :LMAO:that would be retro-PES blasphemy! No, I mean using :square: on your own midfield, also known as the 'hail-mary button'. An aimless 'long-pass' (if you can call it that...) for the front duo delivered by the team's Quarterback...erhm...I mean, Tom Brady...ahm...Paulo Sousa. :COOL:

@Chris Davies: ISS Pro Evo and ISS Pro Evo 2 have something. Is it the passing, or the shooting, the ball physics...? I have no idea. I just know they have it - whatever "it" means. It's something that pulls you in and before you know it you've played an entire group stages. Like a great building, these two games are architectural wonders - regardless of how they build it or whatever materials they used to do so, the whole building just works so well.

Not to distract you from your excellent WC. ;)

Some of you guys may remember that i was posting the scores of a competition that my brother and me play on PES2008 PS2. We use every team in my Option File and draw them out. Every time we meet up we play about 8 games. So we got to the Round of 32 last week and amazingly having played 148 games the scores between us was 74 wins each, we are so evenly balanced and that is why we continue to play this fantastic game.

Here is a link to PDF file with the results so far. The draw for the Round of 32 is right at the end. After playing the first two games of that round he is now winning 76-74.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:1f97d468-a68a-4120-87bf-07cb2d312bc8

Hopefully the link works as i have never posted a PDF file on a forum before :P

@slamsoze: :LMAO:that would be retro-PES blasphemy! No, I mean using :square: on your own midfield, also known as the 'hail-mary button'. An aimless 'long-pass' (if you can call it that...) for the front duo delivered by the team's Quarterback...erhm...I mean, Tom Brady...ahm...Paulo Sousa. :COOL:
Gotta 100%.Used it pretty much in PES 3 . Back in 2004, i once won a local PES 3 tournament on World Cup, in local café , using Poland and my only viable strategy after quarter finals, was this high "old-British style pass" with :square: from DMF to Olisadebe. It didn't work only in final against a guy using France, but hopefully i kept 0-0 and i won on penalties.
Shame that since PES4 you can't use due to different ball physics.
PS: i will ignore that in most recent PES, it is so broken, that you can't even clear the ball from your defence!

Was it PES 3 or PES 4 that had handballs? Has anyone got any vids of it in action, or a screenshot of the little blue hand icon that popped up? Also, while I'm here, which version was it where the crowd booed if you didn't put the ball out if a player was down injured? It was around a similar time I think.

Was it PES 3 or PES 4 that had handballs? Has anyone got any vids of it in action, or a screenshot of the little blue hand icon that popped up? Also, while I'm here, which version was it where the crowd booed if you didn't put the ball out if a player was down injured? It was around a similar time I think.
Handball=pes3
Booo for non fair play= pes5

PES 6 has hand balls but only against the attacking team, you can't concede a penalty for handball.
Are you sure? My memory is fading, but im quite sure it was only pes3. There also an animation that the opponents raise their hands and do a hand clap move, to show that the ball hit the hand. About the execution i remember it was always limited. Even if you did a handball with your defender in your penalty box, it was a freekick for your goalkeeper.

Last edited:
@miguelfcp , and @slamsoze . That :square: long ball "hit and hope" has a very long football game history. Pretty sure the original ISS Pro had it, Sensible Soccer had it and Taito and TEMCO arcade games also had a "shoot from anywhere" when you pressed the shoot button even in your own penalty area.
Definitely very effective in pre-PES era of the 1990s where the many long ball and crossing options just did not exist.

Nostalgia......:CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Thanks very much!
You are welcome dude.Seems the handballit is debatable still. Whoever can contribute from Retro playing or good memory is welcome.

PS: Can anyone suggest a WE9LE patch from Sany's topic that has the original seasons rosters? After trying dozens of newer patches, i concluded that it feels more touching, to play the old games with their original players.

Are you sure? My memory is fading, but im quite sure it was only pes3. There also an animation that the opponents raise their hands and do a hand clap move, to show that the ball hit the hand. About the execution i remember it was always limited. Even if you did a handball with your defender in your penalty box, it was a freekick for your goalkeeper.

Yep, most often I see it from a corner, the attacking player hits it with their arm (usually because they made a mess of the header), someone on the defending team makes the handball signal to the ref and the defending team gets a freekick.

You are welcome dude.Seems the handballit is debatable still. Whoever can contribute from Retro playing or good memory is welcome.

PS: Can anyone suggest a WE9LE patch from Sany's topic that has the original seasons rosters? After trying dozens of newer patches, i concluded that it feels more touching, to play the old games with their original players.

I was convinced it was from either 3 or 4. I found an article on eurogamer mentioning it in PES 3 but wondered if it was still in or was removed from 4. I don't remember it from 6 at all but then it may have just been super rare. PES 3 had the little symbol in the corner of the screen though didn't it?

I was convinced it was from either 3 or 4. I found an article on eurogamer mentioning it in PES 3 but wondered if it was still in or was removed from 4. I don't remember it from 6 at all but then it may have just been super rare. PES 3 had the little symbol in the corner of the screen though didn't it?

Might be a lot more rare in PES 6, its the one I've played by far the most, also use to run a league in PES 6 on another forum where it was CPU vs CPU but with users as the manager. So probably played/watched thousands of hours. :D

I thought the handball was in PES4 as well? As @peterc10 says it is still in PES6 or at least it still hits the hands but you never get an attacking free kick from it. The other one I see from time to time is the when a player has been fouled and an opponent bends over him as if having a go at him. I've never managed to record it though!

5. Kicking the ball out for an injury.

Back
Top Bottom