The Retro-PES Corner

@mattmid , matters, I totally agree spitting is horrible but then again what happens on a football pitch is always a bit out there. An elbow in the face or someone grabbing your bits and bobs would be shocking on the street. But in football it is all "part of the game".

Thanks to Vinnie Jones and Claudio Gentile.

If he's not one of us then he really should be here in the retro thread! Hopefully the article is true regarding Konami and they are beginning to realise they need to sort out the offline side of the game and get back to concentrating more on that.

@WhoAteMeDinner

Can't really argue with that apart from the spitting, think that's disgusting as it was when in that Germany v Holland game. No need for it at all.

I've not really seen any of the women's world cup bar a bit of highlights here and there. I'd imagine France or USA would win it from what I have seen.

As to the comments from Neville, I'm sure they could find some old clips to show him :)

Seriously? :LOL: They sound like the sort of people we have now who get offended on other people's behalf. The sort that will say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas in case they offend another religion (who actually aren't in the least bit bothered about it!). Or the one's who go on twitter to complain in absolute outrage that a shop doesn't have a blue sweater for their little girl. So go shop somewhere else then.
Don't you just those people.
Humanity is going backwards,remember being young and rebellious?
Nowadays it's all about being offended left and right.
Remember when Ricky Gervais "Derek" was up for discussion "omg they're making fun of a mentally challenged person...shame on you" obviously making those comments without seeing the show first!
Which turned to be a fantastic portrayal of a man with challenges etc!

Or,"you can't make fun of women/gay/straight/people of colour,of course you can,otherwise they're excluded,or put on a fucking golden shelf!
People you know...

She's been boycotting them for a while right?
I trust them to win anyway (hopefully)
We've got fucking Germany ,you know the saying "football is a game yada yada yada and in the end Germany wins"

Yes she stopped playing for Norway in 2017 over pay equity and stress.

Chin up though for Sweden my friend. The German women's team are not quite the same as their male counterparts......yet.

Guess that inner sense of superiority takes a while to grow.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

She's been boycotting them for a while right?
I trust them to win anyway (hopefully)
We've got fucking Germany ,you know the saying "football is a game yada yada yada and in the end Germany wins"

That's almost what we say only we end it "on penalties" :NO::LOL:

As to the other point, you're right, that's the whole point of jokes (joke being the operative word, people(!) ) to poke fun at something whatever it may, stereotypes, men, women. Here's a briliant clip about being offended, health and safety and political correctness.

That's almost what we say only we end it "on penalties" :NO::LOL:

As to the other point, you're right, that's the whole point of jokes (joke being the operative word, people(!) ) to poke fun at something whatever it may, stereotypes, men, women. Here's a briliant clip about being offended, health and safety and political correctness.

Spot on!
People need humour/comedy as a safe heaven for the bad stuff.
I know the first comedians in NY started making jokes on 9/11 pretty much the same day,just as a good way to grieve etc

Yes she stopped playing for Norway in 2017 over pay equity and stress.

Chin up though for Sweden my friend. The German women's team are not quite the same as their male counterparts......yet.

Guess that inner sense of superiority takes a while to grow.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:
Sure does,they haven't been Uber impressive (Germany ) yet.
Did you see Holland v Japan ?
Stunning game.

WYC19 - Matchday#7 - Brazil vs. Netherlands

nlc8k9r.png

What a disappointing performance !!!
So many wrong individual decisions, missed passing opportunities, Zirkzee did practically nothing. My midfielders were trying to dribble instead of passing. We conceded a joking goal due to GK's individual error.
I was afraid I'll leave them much space in our defense but the big problem was that we gave the space to them in the midfield, the area that we were supposed to cover perfectly.

Quick question for everyone. What is the most you have spent on a Smartphone game ?

:OT: (Well sort of but this question stems from a discussion we had here about the causes of the death of grand and epic video games in the mid-2000s and not just PES, but RTS and strategy games too. Was it just the new online intensive console generation of the Xbox One and PlayStation 3 or did the arrival of the IPhone in 2007 deliver the fatal blow to our gaming world).

Your thoughts welcome comrades.....

Lol @rockstrongo , dude, the lack of self-awareness of some very privileged white people is almost absurd and funny. But also deeply offensive to developing countries in Africa and elsewhere.

Remember we once called it the third world and yet some forget that women footballers have none of the support, training and facilities in Africa that are taken for granted here in Europe.

A certain poodle-haired German player once spat at Frank Rijkaard. And the use of an odd elbow in most men's professional games is frankly routine.

Guess you get an outrage pass if you are white and blonde.

:TD::TD::TD:

Wait, Rijkaard and Völler? Was it not the other way round? Twice?

@jihado86 Yes, what a poor performance from Zirkzee! I expected big things of him. I bet the penalties were nerve wracking!

Feel free to pick a new team though :)

@jihado86 I know what you mean! Ok, Italy, Norway, England Portugal, Russia and Scotland are the one's taken from what's left to play this round. Anyone else is up for grabs :)

:LOL: Ok well there's no squad to pick but there as a wrong player in there - just uploading OF for you now with correct players. There's no squad to pick cos there are only 23 in the game! Will PM you in a minute with the link.

COM teams for whatever reason, algorithims or lack of human spontaneous decisions and instant control input always look a bit slow and predictable. Always endless four yard passes.

Honestly, @jihado86 , your imaginative 1930s inspired information with two "half -backs" was betrayed on the pitch by the players.

Let's be honest, the superb match reports by all you guys are what makes this fun.

Quick question for everyone. What is the most you have spent on a Smartphone game ?

:OT: (Well sort of but this question stems from a discussion we had here about the causes of the death of grand and epic video games in the mid-2000s and not just PES, but RTS and strategy games too. Was it just the new online intensive console generation of the Xbox One and PlayStation 3 or did the arrival of the IPhone in 2007 deliver the fatal blow to our gaming world).

Your thoughts welcome comrades.....
My first spent was in a KONAMI's free mobile-app, trading card game (yu-gi-oh). Basically i had not any serious intend to spend on the game, as it was a typical KONAMi mess, buggy single player with app-crashes, ultra-buggy online pvp and almost no support or application updates and fixes after the initial months.
I just put 7€ cause i wanted to test out a digital pre-paid card i had created back then and it was the minimum amount i could spend. A STRANGE observation i made was that, in-game there was a shop with loot boxes, that you could spend in-game currency points acquired from battles, where the RNG drop rate was very poor, it used to give the worst cards in free spins. AFTER i spent the 7€, the next 5-10 free spins in loot-boxes, gave some of the most rare and powerful monster cards. I assume a similar algorithm works in PES/FIFA "surpise boxes!!!" This was a total waste of money although.Thumbs up KONAMI!!! :) :P

My second purchase worth my money 1,000%. I gave 4€ for a DS emulator, which is the only one i have found for ANDROID without any slowdowns. Unortunatelly Nintendo DS code emulators are usually very messy , even in powerfull PC, this 4euros emulator i paid worked for every game that the free DS-emuls failed to run without dramatic slowdowns.

Except the first test money to KONAMI :( and the second decent purchase i have spent ZERO money to anything. I only regret for a turn-based RPG i have on my smartphone Android, Summoner WAR-SKy Arena, cause i play it since 2014 and it is decent RPG and has cery good support, although the last 2 years i can't play it due to lack of time and it needs daily attestation. If i continued to play daily, i would give them maybe 5 or 7 euros, not for the loot-boxes, but to support their good job as a developer company. Their name is Come2us.

Last edited:
@mattmid, matters mate, expected as much from yourself. Not distracted from the true path.

Let us pray....:PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:

I read that as smartphone! :LOL: Smartphone game - bugger all, I have never bought one. I have no inclination to play a game on my phone, why play on a tiny screen when you can play on a full size tv? I guess if you travel a lot then it's something to do but not for me.

My first spent was in a KONAMI's mobile-app, trading card game (yu-gi-oh). Basically i had not any serious intend to spend on the game, as it was a typical KONAMi mess, buggy single player with app-crashes, ultra-buggy online pvp and almost no support or application updates and fixes after the initial months.
I just put 7€ cause i wanted to test out a digital pre-paid card i had created back then and it was the minimum amount i could spend. A STRANGE observation i made was that, in-game there was a shop with loot boxes, that you could spend in-game currency points acquired from battles, where the RNG drop rate was very poor, it used to give the worst cards in free spins. AFTER i spent the 7€, the next 5-10 free spins in loot-boxes, gave some of the most rare and powerful monster cards. I assume a similar algorithm works in PES/FIFA "surpise boxes!!!" This was a total waste of money although.Thumbs up KONAMI!!! :) :P

My second purchase worth my money 1,000%. I gave 4€ for a DS emulator, which is the only one i have found for ANDROID without any slowdowns. Unortunatelly Nintendo DS code emulators are usually very messy , even in powerfull PC, this 4euros emulator i paid worked for every game that the free DS-emuls failed to run without dramatic slowdowns.

Except the first test money to KONAMI :( and the second decent purchase i have spent ZERO money to anything. I only regret for a turn-based RPG i have on my smartphone Android, Summoner WAR-SKy Arena, cause i play it since 2014 and it is decent RPG and has cery good support, although the last 2 years i can't play it due to lack of time and it needs daily attestation. If i continued to play daily, i would give them maybe 5 or 7 euros, not for the loot-boxes, but to support their good job as a developer company. Their name is Come2us.

@slamsoze , thanks for the feedback my old pal. What drew my attention to this topic was the increased power of smartphones that are now packing enough processing power to run PC or Nintendo DS games from fifteen to twenty years ago, as you mentioned, the new phones can run emulators at full speed too.

There are now full version of games like Z Steel Soldiers for sale on Android phones and Final Fantasy series games from the early 1990s being flogged for a whopping 16 euro to squint at on a tiny phone screen.

So gentlemen, here is the big media corporations master plan at work. Make older PC games from the 2000s unplayable on the newest and mandatory OS for Windows. Then start selling the same games back to us for a six inch smartphone screen, to blind us and mug us at the same time.

Nice one Google, Microsoft, Sony and all....

:R1:R1:R1

Matchday #8 preview - Northern Ireland vs. China

Northern Ireland

Hyper-defensive and straightforward: Northern Ireland's 5-4-1 formation leaves no doubt about the team's priority, which is to stay solid at the back. That shouldn't be the hard part; now creating attacking chances should be the main issue - for that, they'll rely on their midfield engine comprised by two never-yielding CMFs and on God's good grace, because that's more realistic than relying on their offensive talent.

It is tough to predict who shall be Northern Ireland's keeper, because neither of them look particularly solid. Perhaps sixteen-year-old L. Hughes, the most balanced of them, will end up getting picked by manager David McCrosoft.

Now, one of N. Ireland's strengths is their centreback duo, Black and Finlayson - particularly the latter, who we'll discuss further on, stands out from the pack. Since McCrosoft typically uses a five-men back line, the question now is who shall be the third centreback - A. Nelson or A. Kelly. Kelly's faster - but that's really his only acceptable skill - and Nelson, despite being clearly a weaker individual than the other two starting-11 centrebacks, should play alongside them anyway.

It'd be a huge surprise if O'Kane and Maxwell weren't the chosen sidebacks. O'Kane is pretty much a winger as he can't defend, while Maxwell is much more stable on that regard - yet he still goes forward a lot.

Palmer and Galbraith should play as the CMF duo - and watch out for this one. They're a couple of box-to-box midfielders who should definitely control the midfield in this match with the dynamic they always show down the middle. Galbraith, particularly, should stand out as Northern Ireland's main creative force with his ability to effortlessly and accurately take over the team's play and lead the offense.

Out wide shall start Haughey. The left sidemidfielder is not at all talented in any area of the game - besides taking free kicks - but he's a man of character, alright. Our bet is on sideback O'Kane's twin brother, J. O'Kane to start as the other side's SMF. You might have the unique footballing opportunity to watch twin brothers playing for the same team...on the same side of the pitch! Jay is a bit faster than his brother, and nothing else really stands out in his skill set.

When you're playing a 5-4-1 formation like the one adopted by N. Ireland, perhaps it's not that wise to start a 168cm individual up front. I mean, you'll likely be pumping balls left and right during the whole match - such is to be expected when you're absolutely all alone up front - and you need to be able to use your aerial ability to fight for the ball up in the air with the opponent's centrebacks. So, I wouldn't be surprised if 185cm McKee started. He's definitely a decent striker; the thing is, football for him is a mere pastime. I'm not at all troubled by that, given McKees are known for to enjoy other more artistic ventures, and this particular McKee doesn't have either the energy or the mentality to play professional football. McKees, stick to playing the guitar, please.

Still, I'd very much rather watch the 168cm striker I had began to describe.

His name sounds like that of a co-star Hollywood actor in one of John Wayne's movies. Part-time cowboy, part-time one-liner heart-breaker, full-time striker: his name is Johnny Mullen. He's not as lethal as the "Duke" but you bet his shooting is not that bad either, pilgrim! Mullen's more talented as a striker than McKee, though his lack of stature might be a problem.

Key Player: Finalyson. Look at this man.

AywLpA0.png

Look him in the eyes. Do you feel fear yet? You should. "Fin" in Spanish means "end". "Layson" means "of your career". Ah, I'm joking about the latter one. Still, he'll put a "fin" to your career if you're not careful. Finlayson is a brute of a centreback, yet he's one of the most talented when it comes to actually defending and not just breaking the opponent's legs. He combines that superb defensive ability with the mindset of an experienced and brave warrior; Finlayson is the pillar of this Northern Ireland squad and I wouldn't be surprised if you heard this name many more times in the future of this competition.

China
The ultimate underdogs of this tournament, the worst team of them all, some say. China uses a 4-2-2-2 formation with two wingers disguised as AMFs and a tendency to try and remain solid at the back, get the ball back and try to build up with few to no risk of losing the ball. One man shall lead the show and the rest will watch hopelessly, leaving us the spectators wishing they'd have chosen any another profession - fortunately, they have a lot of time to come to that conclusion on their own.

Manager Hao Haidong has a tough one on his hands: will he play Ma Kunyue as China's keeper, or will he instead choose...Ma Kunyue? Well, one thing's for sure, both are much better than Ma Kunyue, who shouldn't be let anywhere near a goal. You see, the Chinese are so confident for this WYC2019 that they only bothered to take one goalkeeper to this tournament. Why? Well, if Kunyue is the best youngster keeper in China, it's probably for the best that they won't show us the 2nd or 3rd best...

But wait, there's more. China only brought two defenders! One of them is Li Jingrun, who's honestly one of the worst centrebacks I've had the privilege to watch. Kid, this is not personal, but this football thing is not for you. You're not that slow, so you might be able to make it in the 100-metre dash. Run, Jingrun, Run! Alongside him shall play Cheng Jinhao, originally a DMF who could fool you for a few minutes and make you believe he's a competent defender - even if he's still noticeably better than Jingrun (then again, who isn't?).

Choi Seung-In and Chen Shengnan should be the sideback duo. Neither are that good. The former won't surely ever be recognized for his footballing talent - because he has none -, rather he'll definitely be remembered forever as probably the first-ever Chinese man wearing dreadlocks on a football pitch.

C0vUOW2.png

High as a kite on photoshoot day, way to go Choi!

Shao Tianfa has to be one of the centre-midfielders - more on him later. As a complement to Tianfa's offensive-minded tendencies, and even at the cost of taking the place of much more talented individuals, either Jia Zhonglin or Jiang Wenhao will play: they're a couple of traditional defensive midfielders who exist solely for the purpose of defending - or at least they try to, often in vain.

It's not as if China has a glaring lack of options for its midfield, as manager Haidong brought 12 midfielders (!) with him. As such, the AMF role is up for grabs. Originally a winger, we predict Wang will insert himself in this already large bucket of alternatives as he's a fast, tricky and aggressive footballer; perhaps one of the few Chinese who could call himself that. The other AMF shall be 163cm tall Junwei, who makes up for his shortness with an admittedly impressive skillset - when compared to the vast majority of his teammates - I'm looking at you Jingrun. He's yet another winger who shall appear disguised as an AMF, but in the end be anything but that.

Up front, things don't look so good. Guo Hao will be one of the strikers as he's admittedly a decent finisher - even if he's tremendously unreliable. On a good day, and if his left eyebrow doesn't hurt, or if he can forget about the tensions in the Middle East for an hour and a half, or if he ignores the fact that someone, somewhere is hurting right now, the Chinese might have their main offensive threat in him.

Who shall team-up with Guo Hao? Good question. Here's to hoping one of the youngest players of the tournament is the chosen one: Liang Shaowen, a fifteen-year-old (!) who's showing enough potential to land him that ambitioned role. I'll go out on a limb and say it: in a couple of years, he'll be by far the best Chinese young striker. Ah, scrap that: in a couple of months.

Key Player: Shao Tianfa. Move over, lesser teammates, Tianfa is your daddy. He's the undisputed leader of this Chinese side because he relies on the fact that Shao actually has some footballing talent, unlike the others. His dribbling and particularly his passing would make you believe he'd actually be good enough to play for a top-tier youth side, however, that's pretty much what he has going for him. Still, the fate of this Chinese youth team will be defined by how well Tianfa is able to hide his flaws and just let him work his magic out there.

Last edited:
@slamsoze , thanks for the feedback my old pal. What drew my attention to this topic was the increased power of smartphones that are now packing enough processing power to run PC or Nintendo DS games from fifteen to twenty years ago, as you mentioned, the new phones can run emulators at full speed too.

There are now full version of games like Z Steel Soldiers for sale on Android phones and Final Fantasy series games from the early 1990s being flogged for a whopping 16 euro to squint at on a tiny phone screen.

So gentlemen, here is the big media corporations master plan at work. Make older PC games from the 2000s unplayable on the newest and mandatory OS for Windows. Then start selling the same games back to us for a six inch smartphone screen, to blind us and mug us at the same time.

Nice one Google, Microsoft, Sony and all....

:R1:R1:R1

I pay to use ExaGear Strategies to play CM 01/02 on my tablet. That's as close as I get. All the while stunned that whoever owns CM 01/02 these days isn't out there charging people more for the privilege.

Back
Top Bottom