The Retro-PES Corner

Only Pes 6 ATM mate,which in my opinion is a mixed feeling,like the good stuff,but to me it's linked to much to my old Pes 6 days (20-25 seasons on it,so I'm not really biten yet.
Gonna give Pes 3/5 a spin
Not been playing much football games lately.
Banging Red dead and racing games.
I'll get the itch again when I'm tired of gunfights

@rockstrongo , funny that, my PES 6 Default Originals Challenge leaves me with mixed feelings too. We should compare thoughts going forward as we are both playing the Playstation 2 version. It can be a very annoying game at times, the dribbling and the dodgy camera angle options that have forced me into playing in the eye-wrecking Birds-Eye camera angle, which is more Sensible Soccer or Kick Off from the 1990s than PES. The players are the size of ants.

:THINK::THINK::THINK:

@rockstrongo , funny that, my PES 6 Default Originals Challenge leaves me with mixed feelings too. We should compare thoughts going forward as we are both playing the Playstation 2 version. It can be a very annoying game at times, the dribbling and the dodgy camera angle options that have forced me into playing in the eye-wrecking Birds-Eye camera angle, which is more Sensible Soccer or Kick Off from the 1990s than PES. The players are the size of ants.

I hate that cam,I've moved tw closcloser to the pitch in almost all my games,what you lose in seeing major parts of the pitch Vs being close to the opponents when dribbling etc.

The funny thing with Pes 6 is that it represents a good football experience for me,at least back in 2005 and all the way up to Pes 2011,didn't buy or play any other football games back then
So it feels a bit weird being back at it,and it really doesn't represents what was a magic time back in -05.

But it's a damn good game even to this date

@rockstrongo It can be a very annoying game at times, the dribbling and the dodgy camera angle options that have forced me into playing in the eye-wrecking Birds-Eye camera angle, which is more Sensible Soccer or Kick Off from the 1990s than PES. The players are the size of ants.

You need to make an exception for PES6 and break it open on the PC :DD

Choose any distance you like for the camera, 3840*2160 resolution and no dodgy dribbling.

pc.jpg

You need to make an exception for PES6 and break it open on the PC :DD

Choose any distance you like for the camera, 3840*2160 resolution and no dodgy dribbling.

View attachment 7315

I can't disagree with you there @mattmid . It looks incredibly good as all PES games do on the PC.
But as I said, the PC for me is the home of RTS games, cat videos and racist comments on youtube.

:COAT::COAT::COAT:

@mattmid: That photo reminded me of something I read a few days ago: NBA will soon allow users to buy just the 4th quarter of a game (NBA basketball has 4 quarters of 12 minutes each) on its streaming service for 1,99$. Translating it to football, it's as if that guy on the pic had arrived to the stadium around the 75th minute to watch the match :DD

Guys, we're forgetting our tradition: to give a warm welcome to new users on the thread (not necessarily new Evo-Web users)! Welcome to the Corner @PRO_TOO, @cosmo and @Walker™, enjoy your stay!

@PRO_TOO: Your concern is a common one among players who're considering "going retro", be it exclusively or as a complement to newgen gaming. I said it here at one point, you have to have an appropriate mindset in order to enjoy it, the mindset of a guy who's just wanting to have a great experience, accepting the retro game as it is and have fun with it. If for example you fire up a game like PES3 and start comparing it (even if just in your head as you're playing) to PES19 or FIFA19 I'll tell you rightaway, you're not going to like it. 100% guaranteed. Maybe here and there you'll find a few things that are actually done better than new football games, but PES3 will always lose the competition overall. It's only natural, it's a 15-year-old game and technology has evolved a lot.

Personally, I only started to enjoy retro-PES when I decided I was going to play the game as the game comes, not wishing it were better, not wishing it had better graphics, just play it as it is. Then, freed from comparisons, these games really do hold up pretty well. Some retro-PES are more exciting and arcade-ish, some are endless midfield battles with lots of fouls, some have a decent balance between the two...but each and all of them provide great sessions of football gaming. There's truly a retro-PES game for everyone's taste (and mood), and most of them - particularly the PS2 era ones - will hook you up for a long time, it's hard to get tired of those.

Well, I speak for myself obviously, but I've been solely playing retro-PES for years now and am far from tired from it, whereas I see lots of people buying the new PES and selling it a couple of weeks later...

@mattmid: That photo reminded me of something I read a few days ago: NBA will soon allow users to buy just the 4th quarter of a game (NBA basketball has 4 quarters of 12 minutes each) on its streaming service for 1,99$. Translating it to football, it's as if that guy on the pic had arrived to the stadium around the 75th minute to watch the match :DD

Dialling in on the complete lack of attention span of today :TD: This ties in with another thing of football and admittedly this is hardly new, but people who leave early. I don't even mean if your team is 6-0 down (not that I've ever left a game before the final whistle regardless of the score), I mean when the game is still in the balance. I wonder if they go to a movie and leave 5 minutes before the end? :NO:

Dialling in on the complete lack of attention span of today :TD: This ties in with another thing of football and admittedly this is hardly new, but people who leave early. I don't even mean if your team is 6-0 down (not that I've ever left a game before the final whistle regardless of the score), I mean when the game is still in the balance. I wonder if they go to a movie and leave 5 minutes before the end? :NO:

I remember years ago when i used to be a betting man. I went to watch Spurs v Marlow in the FA cup. I had £10 on them to win 4-1 at odds of 14-1. I left the stands at 4-1 with only a few minutes left to go to the betting shop in the stadium with my betting slip in my hand. I was watching on the screen for the final whistle and then Nick Barmby scored and made it 5-1 :BRICK:

What the hell happened ?

Was our lovely evoland attacked by a hacking bot net ? It can't be our little Russian bot friends as they are happily part of our family.

My money is on the font of all evil and target of much and justified criticism on here: FIFA :R1:R1:R1

What the hell happened ?

Was our lovely evoland attacked by a hacking bot net ? It can't be our little Russian bot friends as they are happily part of our family.

My money is on the font of all evil and target of much and justified criticism on here: FIFA :R1:R1:R1
It was for sure a sabotage from FIFA scums who can’t stand that PES 2019 is the best of the best football SIM of the universal time space,the best footie ever created and that “The King is back”, “The pitch is ours ”, “We control reality “! :BY:

I usually use the maximal stars for each one.

Yes but for those new to these high difficulty settings, max stars means, be warned, that most good players will have either one or no star transfer acceptance potential beside their name, and this means you will have to settle for lesser players, which is good fun in a long ML campaign.

:shiver::shiver::shiver:

I think my Pes 17 is starting to be as important and enjoyable as any of my retro games has been,now and then,back when Pes 6 wasn't a retro game.

God knows how many ML seasons I've had so far,must be pushing 15 by now.

Just played the Derby Vs Inter,this being my 7th ML season on this save.
Cracking game,6 yellow cards for Inter,7 for me,plus a sending off (Me)
Both teams finished the game with 10 players,me because of a sending off for Montolivo,them because Icardi got brutally chopped down.
2-0 victory Vs my bitterest rivals,also securing my 3rd scudetto with this win,7 points clear of Juve with 2 games left.
Lovely little game this
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq77vWpPnL8DggmJ4HzbImVXYQeb

Ps sorry couldn't upload it directly,probably fifa blocking...

Yes but for those new to these high difficulty settings, max stars means, be warned, that most good players will have either one or no star transfer acceptance potential beside their name, and this means you will have to settle for lesser players, which is good fun in a long ML campaign.

:shiver::shiver::shiver:

I think when you get to win the first division, or the WEFA cup, you can buy most of the good players logically. Well, it takes a bit of time, but it is possible.

I think my Pes 17 is starting to be as important and enjoyable as any of my retro games has been,now and then,back when Pes 6 wasn't a retro game.

God knows how many ML seasons I've had so far,must be pushing 15 by now.

Just played the Derby Vs Inter,this being my 7th ML season on this save.
Cracking game,6 yellow cards for Inter,7 for me,plus a sending off (Me)
Both teams finished the game with 10 players,me because of a sending off for Montolivo,them because Icardi got brutally chopped down.
2-0 victory Vs my bitterest rivals,also securing my 3rd scudetto with this win,7 points clear of Juve with 2 games left.
Lovely little game this
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq77vWpPnL8DggmJ4HzbImVXYQeb

Ps sorry couldn't upload it directly,probably fifa blocking...

Amazing number of fouls there. Overall, i thought PES2017 was the best in the new era (2014-2019), even though individuality don't stand out as much as the PS2 PES.

I think when you get to win the first division, or the WEFA cup, you can buy most of the good players logically. Well, it takes a bit of time, but it is possible.

Amazing number of fouls there. Overall, i thought PES2017 was the best in the new era (2014-2019), even though individuality don't stand out as much as the PS2 PES.
For my personal taste PES 2017 had all the facts to be really good game. I could say a masterpiece but i have stopped comparing the newer games to older ones ps2 golden era cause i get disappointed easily.
Only two problems keep it of being a game that could be re-played for the next 5-7 years.

1)
The ultra speedy pace to gamespeed-animations-passes etc everything seems so explosive in game speed 0 and in -1 it is so laggish, like the ball is floating in the air in some cases.And the problem was not only in offline, i tried some ONLINE DIVISION games witch some small Chinese and Chilean Clubs and a MyClub game, just to claim some achievements, last APRIL before servers closed ,and the game tempo was a freaking rocket-power paced up&down all out attacks-all out defence. And because it was APRIL 2018 and me and my human opponent had both mastered the gameplay, there was slightly midfield battle we created 20~15 shots on goal both.Extremely end to end. VScpu there is more midfield battle.

2)
The one-dimensional scoring potential with headers.OK, you can score with shooting but it must follow specific route, being with ~70% power gauge, aiming strictly the corner of the goalpost and you must create around 15~20 chances to create one goal while through crossing and heading the score ratio can go 1 goal every approx. 3 headers. After 100 games it becomes too dull, when you can score with a slow floaty header from the penalty area and if you try from the same position, a bicycle kick ala Zidane in Champions League final against Leverkusen in 2002 the goalkeeper will block the ball easilly, at least in superstar.What bothers me more, and is present in 2018 and 2019 too, is that when you shoot while running the animation of goalkeeper and the ball are magnetically attracting each other, like it is predetermined that the ball will go to keepers hands and the keeper is moving in the air magnetically too, so the two of them are meeting to a common point.

If the 2 above "problems" where fixed someway back then , or were tweaked to be more human like it had the potential to be a classic PES game that could be replayed for years, as the rest gameplay wise, physics,positioning,defending,fouls,passing game are all above average to pretty good.

PES17 is the only one I have from the modern era and I agree with that @slamsoze. The other things I don't like are the way the keepers will sort of slow motion dive in the air to claim a loose ball as if it's some 30 yard screamer that's just been hit at them and the amount of 'fancy' goals the strikers score, flicks and so on. They'd be great if it was just now and then but you almost get one every game. Plus one on one's are so easy to score, the striker just tucks them away with the keeper rooted to the spot, something it seems they haven't rectified two years later. It seems like there's a great game in there somewhere trying to get out but being Konami they manage to shoe in some game breaking stuff.

The other thing that drives me mad and is absolutely ridiculous is the 'slide tackle' and I put it in brackets because it's not a slide tackle it's a full on two footed jump tackle/assault. Almost a guaranteed red card if you connect with the player.

Oh and the menu's, the f***ing menus! Trying to set up a custom cup is a nightmare of backwards and forwards, scrolling up and down. It's as if they sat down to design it and thought, ok what's the most annoying way we can set this up. Set up a random cup, ok what we'll do we'll throw in club and nationial teams together because that's obviously what most people would want to do, right? NO, Konami, it isn't! How come 15 years ago a simple, club/national/all teams option was available and now it isn't!? Thanks Konami I obviously want a random cup with the likes of Barnsley, Albinoleffe, Guinea and Portugal in it together. Particularly when it's going to take about two minutes to change it and then I have to pick them myself anyway!

True,I'm loving that game,even though PS2 era had better individuality

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge Season Seven Update:

This could be the season where things really start to happen for Sampdoria Defaults and Youth players squad. The start of the season of a win, two draws, a loss and an away leg cup tie score draw has been the best start so far. @miguelfcp , there is a youth player list signing I made four seasons ago, called Sousa (CMF), a Portuguese central midfielder that now has amazing all-round ability stats. He and Sasaki, the left sided defensive midfielder partner of Sousa are the best players in my squad by far.

Will attempt to dribble around a goalkeeper again this evening, as yet in several hundred ML games, the COM teams and my team have never done this. It is bizarre and until I either concede a tap-in one-on-one goal or score one, I remain very annoyed by this dribble gameplay flaw. If this was not in PES 6, it would be excellent all round.

Hey, it's been a while. I was previously participating in this place a while back (the birthdate I set should give away who I am), and then forgot about the place for some reason, so ended up registering a new account here.

Anyhow, I just got PES 2008 in the mail, completing my collection of PS2 PES that I am interested in (1-7 and ISS ProEvo 2 on PSX), so will be playing that in a bit. I also have the PSP version, and in fact I bought 2008 solely to take my Master League and Edit data between the two versions!

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge Season Seven Update:

... He and Sasaki....
Will attempt to dribble around a goalkeeper again this evening, as yet in several hundred ML games, the COM teams and my team have never done this. It is bizarre and until I either concede a tap-in one-on-one goal or score one, I remain very
This "Sasaki" sounds more like a yu-gi-oh monster card!!! :P :P No doubts since KONAMI distributes both PES and yu-gi-oh TCG!! :D :P

This "Sasaki" sounds more like a yu-gi-oh monster card!!! :P :P No doubts since KONAMI distributes both PES and yu-gi-oh TCG!! :D :P
They also named one of the PES United players "Metelger", after Metal Gear :D - plus I love how they made the Japanese referee (Kazuki Ito, the one in your profile image) the strictest, haha x')

@slamsoze , mate, he is a monster of midfield hard man and he can pass, cross and shoot too. I always suspect that Konami don't just boost the stats of Inter Milan players, but also their own Japanese players as alot of the youth player list players from Japan are very good.

Banzai.....:RSCARF::RSCARF::RSCARF:

@slamsoze , mate, he is a monster of midfield hard man and he can pass, cross and shoot too. I always suspect that Konami don't just boost the stats of Inter Milan players, but also their own Japanese players as alot of the youth player list players from Japan are very good.

Banzai.....:RSCARF::RSCARF::RSCARF:
You are right but no need to suspect as it is a fact. Since you are a console-man, you may have missed this discovery by PC editing community, that JAPAN national team in PES 6 had some "secret stats" that other teams and player didn't have.No doubt that they did this to every Japanese player in pes 6 database.

Back
Top Bottom