The Retro-PES Corner

Wish that Pes 16 were playable,I tweaked the goalies up to 90-95 ovr and they're still rubbish,and no freekicks,l played that game a lot when it came out and it's a game that has great player movement etc.

I can agree on Pes 17 being to fast on zero game speed,but that's Pes,make one good thing but add something else that's weird and/or horrible.
when I went back to play Pes 6 it was fast as a mf,still didn't ruin my experience with it.
Really don't agree on shooting on Pes 17 @slamsoze ,I score tons of different goals on manual an TP in this game.
Otherwise I wouldn't have had almost 15 seasons on it

Different game speaks to you right?
One game can be strange for one player but to someone else a perfect match.
Just like some like FIFA,is it a better game than a random Pes game,not to me,it just feels off for me.
Some things are tolerable,some aren't!

@WhoAteMeDinner: Sousa, I remember him from my PES08 PS2 ML! Had him too and he was a class act. The only issue with him was his sub-par shooting ability, but overall he's great. A decent substitute for Minanda, although not as charismatic!

@Hexafairy: Hey man, you were Orhainmalz weren't you? Welcome back!

@miguelfcp , great point about his shooting and that his why I don't position him as an attacking midfielder. He has as good a right foot for set-pieces as Jaric has a left foot. Sousa took six consecutive inswinging corners in a league game yesterday. COM team could not clear his crosses.

@WhoAteMeDinner: You could train him to become a better shooter, using that pre-season training option and focusing all of his training on shooting. However I didn't do this, it'd take a long time for him to develop that particular set of skills to reach an "acceptable" level at least. I see him more as a kind of Pirlo, a deep-lying playmaker. Still he was very good at getting himself in attacking positions, often scored at least a couple of goals each season because of his high football IQ (amazing Teamwork stat he has!) and Attack stat.

Wish that Pes 16 were playable,I tweaked the goalies up to 90-95 ovr and they're still rubbish,and no freekicks,l played that game a lot when it came out and it's a game that has great player movement etc.

I can agree on Pes 17 being to fast on zero game speed,but that's Pes,make one good thing but add something else that's weird and/or horrible.
when I went back to play Pes 6 it was fast as a mf,still didn't ruin my experience with it.
Really don't agree on shooting on Pes 17 @slamsoze ,I score tons of different goals on manual an TP in this game.
Otherwise I wouldn't have had almost 15 seasons on it

Different game speaks to you right?
One game can be strange for one player but to someone else a perfect match.
Just like some like FIFA,is it a better game than a random Pes game,not to me,it just feels off for me.
Some things are tolerable,some aren't!
It has concerned me that I am the only one annoyed by the shooting/heading variety in 2017.
Don’t know maybe it is an issue of “SuperStar” difficulty,as to be honest is the only level I am playing from 2017 until today.
That’s why I said personal taste,as I know it has not been mentioned as a problem for anyone else.For sure everyone has different expectations.
Either way one of this days I will be finished editing my pes 2018,it is close to perfect for my standards just more 10% effort.After that I will revisit my ML save in 17 and do a re-check.It is always different when I come back from a newer one,18/19.

It has concerned me that I am the only one annoyed by the shooting/heading variety in 2017.
Don’t know maybe it is an issue of “SuperStar” difficulty,as to be honest is the only level I am playing from 2017 until today.
That’s why I said personal taste,as I know it has not been mentioned as a problem for anyone else.For sure everyone has different expectations.
Either way one of this days I will be finished editing my pes 2018,it is close to perfect for my standards just more 10% effort.After that I will revisit my ML save in 17 and do a re-check.It is always different when I come back from a newer one,18/19.
We all see different things and feel different stuff in games,so neither you or I are right,were right in how we see it of course.
I felt the same way you do when playing my first ML campaign,but now that I know the game inside out,and most importantly, my players,pretty much had the same squad for 5 seasons,you experiment more in setups tactics and obviously how you play.
I was very trigger happy with the sprint button before,now I hardly use it,except when I really need it,and the game responds to that well,game slows down a lot etc.

Are you editing players/teams on 18 or other stuff?
I really liked 18 when I returned to it a month or so ago.
Feel free to share if you have some pointers on it mate.
I probably return to it soon again.
Ps it was no dig at you mate ,just me explaning how I see the game,hope you didn't see it that way

Had a quick go on a Euro 2008 patch for PES 6, Semshov scored this cool goal from range against me that left Casillas flapping and resulted in a tremendous upset.

vqZdHWs.gif

Also something minor, must be my memory but i don't think I've ever seen a keeper collide with a striker to send them flying? I think the keeper always beats them to loose through balls and the striker just stops and yields or jumps over them.. Nonetheless, think I've a case for a penalty?

zhr6AFN.gif

Will attempt to dribble around a goalkeeper again this evening, as yet in several hundred ML games, the COM teams and my team have never done this. It is bizarre and until I either concede a tap-in one-on-one goal or score one, I remain very annoyed by this dribble gameplay flaw. If this was not in PES 6, it would be excellent all round.

scored an abundance of it with mutu as the sole striker with romania :THINK: friendly matches, as i liked there 4231 and sticked mainly with em for national friendlies, in fact i think its too easy :BORED:

maybe the ps2 version is broken? :WOOT:

ps
regarding ML, its the same, i remember with cavenaghi it was not that bad either

btw i cant quite get in with pes 3 or 4 because of the mentioned r2 mechanics, im a pes 6 burned child, help me :((

I was very trigger happy with the sprint button before,now I hardly use it,except when I really need it,and the game responds to that well,game slows down a lot etc.
well of course, if you do not sprint its slower ha xD
this is what i meant earlier with the playstyles in newer games, one shouldnt need to restrict oneself in playing to get a somehwat good experience, thats very bad game design

Nonetheless, think I've a case for a penalty?

nope :D

Last edited:
We all see different things and feel different stuff in games,so neither you or I are right,were right in how we see it of course.
I felt the same way you do when playing my first ML campaign,but now that I know the game inside out,and most importantly, my players,pretty much had the same squad for 5 seasons,you experiment more in setups tactics and obviously how you play.

Are you editing players/teams on 18 or other stuff?
I really liked 18 when I returned to it a month or so ago.
Feel free to share if you have some pointers on it mate.
I probably return to it soon again.
Ps it was no dig at you mate ,just me explaning how I see the game,hope you didn't see it that way
No problem not digging at all.I like having constructive discussions about pes gameplay.It is my third favourite activity about PES ,while my first is playing it of course and my second is editing it.Especially with people like you or the most people here,that agree at some fundamentals, I like when we see some aspects different and we disagree because that’s what makes gaming move forward and give some hope, cause after that I am going back and replaying or making tests to check and this circle keeps the titles fresh.
As for my 2018 editing I started after September fixing the summer transfer,after I fixed duplicates players my OF had mostly in Latin America and after that I started fixing the Brasileiro players, cause the OF creator of the OF I used last year messed a lot with some Brazilians ending up having some created players over original players with preset faces etc.
After that mess that I fixed on a week of hard editing and studying between pesmaster,transfermarkt,psd I finally ended up the most work and started an ML cause I have some duties pending , as win a domestic league or win a European competition.
The last part of my editing,which fortunately can be done while playing my save,is fixing the players likeness for players that cannot be fixed with game face editor ,by base copying a players that has already scanned face and reverting to default everything after.E.G.: Moises Kean has a cyber face and looks similar to Coman of Bayern. I basecopy Kean over Coman and then I edit everything except for face and hairstyle which is locked for preset players.If it was not Coman but a player that exists already in database ,it is far more easy as after base copy you just revert every separate details one by one and you have the player to look as you want.

No problem not digging at all.I like having constructive discussions about pes gameplay.It is my third favourite activity about PES ,while my first is playing it of course and my second is editing it.Especially with people like you or the most people here,that agree at some fundamentals, I like when we see some aspects different and we disagree because that’s what makes gaming move forward and give some hope, cause after that I am going back and replaying or making tests to check and this circle keeps the titles fresh.
As for my 2018 editing I started after September fixing the summer transfer,after I fixed duplicates players my OF had mostly in Latin America and after that I started fixing the Brasileiro players, cause the OF creator of the OF I used last year messed a lot with some Brazilians ending up having some created players over original players with preset faces etc.
After that mess that I fixed on a week of hard editing and studying between pesmaster,transfermarkt,psd I finally ended up the most work and started an ML cause I have some duties pending , as win a domestic league or win a European competition.
The last part of my editing,which fortunately can be done while playing my save,is fixing the players likeness for players that cannot be fixed with game face editor ,by base copying a players that has already scanned face and reverting to default everything after.E.G.: Moises Kean has a cyber face and looks similar to Coman of Bayern. I basecopy Kean over Coman and then I edit everything except for face and hairstyle which is locked for preset players.If it was not Coman but a player that exists already in database ,it is far more easy as after base copy you just revert every separate details one by one and you have the player to look as you want.
Impressive mate,I get tired just by setting tactics to Serie A and B.
Id wish I could import files from my Xbox to a pc and edit via a tool.

I like editing by hand though,even if it's tiring,I remember creating kits on my 360,that was when you could create badges and chest logos,so stupid that they removed that option from Xbox.

Good luck with your editing mate

I have no clue on how many hours I've clocked on old Pes games.
But was going through some of my modern ones today
This stood out
Pes 17
Screenshot_20181015-202018.png
394 hours!
Compared to a normal work week,that's 11 work weeks.
Bet that my clocked Pes 6 hours back in the day were insane!

i did another retro stream the other night, play some winning Eleven 6, it was great fun.

Here is a link to my discord, if you are interested in watching or chatting about pro evo and all other kinds of things.

I will do another Ps2 pes/WE stream this week....brings back so great memories, playing these classic games again.

https://discord.gg/XdWRdrN

http://bayimg.com/f1f1bf7ff631f94853cf27986390f998d7b3c10c.jpg

here's my PES 6 vanilla, only kitserver and downsampled from ~ 6k to 4k screen output resolution, 16x aniso filter is enabled via grafix driver, wide cam slightly further away, in-game settings winter + night so its a bit dull

shot via windows bitmap (print button) and saved as jpeg with quality slightly reduced to not have such big file, resoluton is kept as "4k" same as output

just as comparison and to see what now is possible thx to kingsley

Your second pic doesn't show @MafiaMurderBag

It's showing for me, anybody else having issues seeing it?

PES 6 hours I can only begin to imagine.

I know it's never going to happen but if only PES 5, 6 & WE9LE were officially available on Steam for the sake of future preservation and ease of access to players who may not be aware of how damn satisfying these are to play. Sad to think there'll be a future generation of Football connoisseurs who will have no idea such magical games exist.

We can only hope they are preserved through file sharing and the few physical discs that remain in the wild for the PC versions and that they are passed down from one generation to the next.

Some form of respect mate,like chopping a tree down using your head
I think this is both the best post ever made on this forum, and the most accurate description of how it feels playing modern-day PES, rolled into one...

It's showing for me, anybody else having issues seeing it?
I couldn't see it when you posted it originally, but it's working now.

@WhoAteMeDinner: You could train him to become a better shooter, using that pre-season training option and focusing all of his training on shooting. However I didn't do this, it'd take a long time for him to develop that particular set of skills to reach an "acceptable" level at least. I see him more as a kind of Pirlo, a deep-lying playmaker. Still he was very good at getting himself in attacking positions, often scored at least a couple of goals each season because of his high football IQ (amazing Teamwork stat he has!) and Attack stat.

@miguelfcp , yep, teamwork, mentality, technique, these are the stats that are the kind of glue that bring all the others together and make a top class all-round footballer.

I know it's never going to happen but if only PES 5, 6 & WE9LE were officially available on Steam for the sake of future preservation and ease of access to players who may not be aware of how damn satisfying these are to play. Sad to think there'll be a future generation of Football connoisseurs who will have no idea such magical games exist.

We can only hope they are preserved through file sharing and the few physical discs that remain in the wild for the PC versions and that they are passed down from one generation to the next.

That would be great wouldn't it. What would be even better were if Konami were to release the source code, then someone could make a better fist of improving from there!

I would pay to watch that on youtube. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Maybe your Irish Champions League channel could pick it up to play between the thirty third and thirty fourth repeat of Marseille v Besiktas or something?

Three Lions on a shirt,
UEFA Nations League still gleaming,
Thirty years of hurt,
Never stopped me dreaming.

Well..........:SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

:LOL:

That would be great wouldn't it. What would be even better were if Konami were to release the source code, then someone could make a better fist of improving from there!

Maybe your Irish Champions League channel could pick it up to play between the thirty third and thirty fourth repeat of Marseille v Besiktas or something?

:LOL:

@mattmid , don't think so, as it is too much fun and they only like showing.....

upload_2018-10-16_14-19-14.jpeg

I think this is both the best post ever made on this forum, and the most accurate description of how it feels playing modern-day PES, rolled into one...

I couldn't see it when you posted it originally, but it's working now.
Ha ha you're spot on Chris.
Things should never be easy I guess.
My motto is "never drink drinks that tastes good,it always end up bad"
Somehow the quirky things are to ones we tend to keep for the long haul.
Thanx mate

Back
Top Bottom