The Official Name Pronunciation thread.

The most annoying is Gilardino.... most people out of Italy say gilardinIO.... as if he was brazilian.

Also .. not really a team but people who say AC instead of Milan.... you're English you should know better!

Cannavaro should be Cunn ah v ah row..... Zambrotta should be Zahm Brott tah.

Milanista said:
The most annoying is Gilardino.... most people out of Italy say gilardinIO.... as if he was brazilian.

Nope, that's mainly a kind of mispronounciation done by english speaking folks.

Portuguese, Spanish, French, i dont think any of these pronouces his name like that. I'm sure Portuguese dont.

Milanista said:
Also .. not really a team but people who say AC instead of Milan.... you're English you should know better!
Here is common to use the "AC", but only before Milan... as "A Se Milán", others put the most entonation in "Mi" as "A Se Mílan".

airjoca said:
Portuguese, Spanish, French, i dont think any of these pronouces his name like that. I'm sure Portuguese dont.
In Spanish is always "Yilardino", with the "G" pronounced as "Y", the same for the first "G" of Gennaro Gattuso, as "Yenáro Gatuso".

One name it's really difficult here is Yoann Gourcuff, actually I always listen as many different forms, "Yojan Gorcuf", "Yoan Gorcuf", "Yojan Gurcuf", "Yoan Gurcuf", "Youan Gourcuf", "Yon Gorcuf", "Yon Gurcuf", "Yoan Yorcuf"...

I've always wondered why in the rest of the world they just don't adopt the names of "Milan" and "Inter" for AcMilan and Internazionale FC. That would be much more simple than saying "AcMilan" and "InterMilan".
Guess that's habit now, so it can't be changed.

So, the "U" in Kuyt is actually pronounced as a "O"?

One pronouciation which has always bugged me is Oliver Neuville, Germans pronouce it Ner-vill, here in England we say Noy-vill and I presume French speaking countries call him call Ner-veel, can anybody enlighten me as to how it is actually pronouced? This lead to quite a serious debate in the pub the other night. :(

Mana Cerace said:
I've always wondered why in the rest of the world they just don't adopt the names of "Milan" and "Inter" for AcMilan and Internazionale FC. That would be much more simple than saying "AcMilan" and "InterMilan".
Guess that's habit now, so it can't be changed.

So, the "U" in Kuyt is actually pronounced as a "O"?

Its always been "Milan" and "Inter" in italy. Milan is called that way, instead of AC Milano, because of its English roots. They wanted to keep the English name of the city.

Do Czech people know how to pronounce Nedved? Is it NyejVed? And is Cech meant to be Check? And Rosicky - Rosinsky?

Milanista said:
Its always been "Milan" and "Inter" in italy. Milan is called that way, instead of AC Milano, because of its English roots. They wanted to keep the English name of the city.

Yeah, I know, I'm italian :lol:

I just think that, abroad of Italy, it would be better to adopt italian names , "Milan" and "Inter".

I'll always remember, when I was a kid and I was on vacation in England (didn't speak english at the time) I told someone I was a "Milan" supporter and he said "oh, eisimilàn?" It took me the whole day to figure it out :D

Milanista said:
That's a bit stupid. People who do that I mean.

I haven't seen anybody do it myself though. Every commentator I ever listened to and everyone I know calls him as they should: GilardinO not "Dinio".

Where did you see people calling him that? :-s
They must have been a few idiots probably, not most people out of Italy. I don't think so...

Glavisted said:
One name it's really difficult here is Yoann Gourcuff, actually I always listen as many different forms, "Yojan Gorcuf", "Yoan Gorcuf", "Yojan Gurcuf", "Yoan Gurcuf", "Youan Gourcuf", "Yon Gorcuf", "Yon Gurcuf", "Yoan Yorcuf"...
I don't think this one is too difficult actually. Mainly because you pronounce it almost the same way it's spelled. So no big trick or anything.

Out of the ones mentioned above, I unbolded and resized the one that I think is most proper and one I heard since he broke through Rennes' first team.

tuta77 said:
Well, there's no "o" sound in his name at all. It's different. It's An" and not "Ahn" or "Ohn" or "Ene". Like that :mrgreen: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frc3P-LXAE
HhAhhaAHAHAHahahahahaaaa

Drunk fans are priceless. :lmao: :mrgreen:

Yes, Gourcuff is pronounced almost the same as his name is written. The only thing is that that the u gets pronounced as german ü (betwen u and i).

prso.jpg

Dado PRŠO

Since his move to Rangers, big Dado's second name has caused the Scottish commentators nothing but trouble. He's been called everything from "Purse-o," "Prüsho" and "Pur-cho" amongst others.

The caron above the S indicates that a 'sh' (almost 'ch') sound should be made and no 'u' sound should be present.

Or you can just call him Big Dado. And that's Dahdo. Not Daedo! ;)

Mana Cerace said:
Here Internazionale is always "Inter de Milán".

curswine said:
Oliver Neuville
For me is "Niuvíl". :mrgreen:

total said:
Yes, Gourcuff is pronounced almost the same as his name is written. The only thing is that that the u gets pronounced as german ü (betwen u and i).
I'm not sure how pronounce the german "ü", probably as in the example of PLF, I suppose the first is mute.

foxtrot said:
Dado PRŠO
Here definitely is "Dado Perso". :)

A question to a german, how do you pronounce the "ß"?, for example in "Stephan Kießling". Here, as this letter doesn't exist is always writed as a double "ss" or "b": Stephan Kiessling, and is pronounced as "Estéfan Quísling".

"ß" is ss and is in no way "b". So Stephan Kießling is pronounced "Shte-phan Kiss-ling".

And the "ü" letter is pronounced like something betwen "u" and "i".

I actually meant "Kees-ling", but I always write "i" since I forget that our pronounciation of it isn't the same as in English. :o

But you're right, it's more "Keez-ling" than "Kees-ling".

Always I hear Angel pronounced an-Gel, when it should be an-hell....that one's so obvious though, I dunno how reporters always get it wrong!

for the german letters with umphlauts on the end (two dots) they should be prononuced like an e on the of it so Thomas kAEssler

Thats the easiest way for english speaker to understand.. imagine an E in front of it. In fact a lot of people write them as UE or AE when they do not know how to type it in a keyboard... like me!

Jussie > The "e" sounds like é (Cissé or Koné)
I know somebody already explained but his name is fuckin funny. Sometimes confused with Juce :lol:

What about Pennant somebody can explain me is "peeeeenant" long E or "pennant" with "e" like Senna?
And Vayrynen too.

curswine said:
I presume French speaking countries call him call Ner-veel
Why the sound "er" ? For us, it's simply Neuville with the sound of the french letter E (not same as english e sound). Exactly the same as Karembeu. So : Neuh-vil.

total said:
What about Itandje? Is it "Ee-tan-dzhe"?
It's Ee-tan-ge (same "an" in Henry :D and "ge" from "orange").

Last edited:
Yeh I'm a bit surprised at some of the names being mentioned now.

I thought Itandje, Neuville and Pennant are relatively straight-forward.

Jussie on the other hand can be a bit tricky. :p

I know it took me a while to get it right and to be honest I'm still not sure quite exactly how to pronounce it despite two different Brazilian friends kindly trying to explain it to me thus far. #-o :mrgreen:

tuta77 said:
It's Ee-tan-ge (same "an" in Henry :D and "ge" from "orange").
Thanks for that. I always thought you have to stick that "d" when pronouncing it. So that made it a bit tricky for me.

PLF said:
Yeh I'm a bit surprised at some of the names being mentioned now.

I thought Itandje, Neuville and Pennant are relatively straight-forward.

Jussie on the other hand can be a bit tricky. :p

I know it took me a while to get it right and to be honest I'm still not sure quite exactly how to pronounce it despite two different Brazilian friends kindly trying to explain it to me thus far. #-o :mrgreen:

They are straight forward, just really which languages pronouciation you are using though, I know for sure that the German and English pronouciations are different for Neuville and sice he is of Swiss-French origin I wasn't sure maybe that way of saying his name was the correct version.

I know this one is straight forward I just wanted to be 100% certain:
Mido is it Mee-doh or My-doh as Alan Shearer was saying on Match of the Day earlier, personally I say Mee-doh

One other which I can't work out is Kahê for Mönchengladbach.

Back
Top Bottom