The New FIFA (not by EA)

2k games should make the new FIFA. I really like 2k approach to NBA games.

I'd be surprised if we ever actually get a new FIFA that's not a mobile game or something. The barrier to entry is super high with the licensing fees. The FIFA license itself is largely pointless beyond a name & the World Cup every four years. 2K would find it near impossible to compete with EA for licensing. EA have everything major & Konami have the best of the rest. Hard to see them investing any sort of money to then try and sell a game with fake teams.

As crazy as this sounds, I think FIFA should try to come to agreement with Sports Interactive. FIFA has already reached out to SI at least once as the question was asked in an interview with Miles Jacobson, studio head of SI, and here was the response:

"So if we had had conversations with them, I wouldn't be able to talk about them," Jacobson said. "But we're not in the business of making action games," he explained - with "action games" here referring to the controllable action of games like EA's FIFA and Konami's Pro Evolution or eFootball. "That doesn't mean that we won't, or couldn't be in the future," Jacobson continued, "but if you look at FM and you look at our match engine, we are a simulation of football, we're not an arcade version of football. So I can't imagine people wanting to sit there and play in 90 minute matches, which they would need to do in our engine - whereas in some of the other football titles, if you play the 90 minute match, imagine what the scoreline's gonna be right? So our engine in Football Manager is just not suited to be an action game."

I bolded a specific quote for emphasis because with the move to Unity for 2025 and beyond, there is a chance this may already be in the works. I think this may be the case because SI's Project Dragonfly has been doing research and development with different engines for multiple years, so they'll have a good idea of what the Unity engine is capable of.

Again, probably crazy, but sounds good in my head (makes me sound crazier lol).

As crazy as this sounds, I think FIFA should try to come to agreement with Sports Interactive. FIFA has already reached out to SI at least once as the question was asked in an interview with Miles Jacobson, studio head of SI, and here was the response:

"So if we had had conversations with them, I wouldn't be able to talk about them," Jacobson said. "But we're not in the business of making action games," he explained - with "action games" here referring to the controllable action of games like EA's FIFA and Konami's Pro Evolution or eFootball. "That doesn't mean that we won't, or couldn't be in the future," Jacobson continued, "but if you look at FM and you look at our match engine, we are a simulation of football, we're not an arcade version of football. So I can't imagine people wanting to sit there and play in 90 minute matches, which they would need to do in our engine - whereas in some of the other football titles, if you play the 90 minute match, imagine what the scoreline's gonna be right? So our engine in Football Manager is just not suited to be an action game."

I bolded a specific quote for emphasis because with the move to Unity for 2025 and beyond, there is a chance this may already be in the works. I think this may be the case because SI's Project Dragonfly has been doing research and development with different engines for multiple years, so they'll have a good idea of what the Unity engine is capable of.

Again, probably crazy, but sounds good in my head (makes me sound crazier lol).

What would the benefit to them be besides a licensed World Cup? I suppose the brand recognition but is that really worth such an investment? The “FIFA” license is essentially just a name in a non World Cup year.

What would the benefit to them be besides a licensed World Cup? I suppose the brand recognition but is that really worth such an investment? The “FIFA” license is essentially just a name in a non World Cup year.
It would likely result in a huge, up front cash infusion for SI. Plus, SI then gets access to all the major corporate sponsors of FIFA like Adidas, Coca-Cola, etc. From there, they could develop an action football game (EAFC, PES, etc.) that utilized a lot of the database and simulation infrastructure already in place. With the correct people, they could make a simulation football game though could be tied with FM for even further integration. Think of how FIFA 16 works with that free manager game that's like FM (can't remember link, but it's in the FIFA 16 thread).

Again, pie in the sky.

It would likely result in a huge, up front cash infusion for SI. Plus, SI then gets access to all the major corporate sponsors of FIFA like Adidas, Coca-Cola, etc. From there, they could develop an action football game (EAFC, PES, etc.) that utilized a lot of the database and simulation infrastructure already in place. With the correct people, they could make a simulation football game though could be tied with FM for even further integration. Think of how FIFA 16 works with that free manager game that's like FM (can't remember link, but it's in the FIFA 16 thread).

Again, pie in the sky.

I agree with most of what you’re saying except for the cash infusion. FIFA aren’t giving anyone money, they want developers to pay them a huge sum to license the name.

I think a move into a sim game would be very risky for SI. The major licensing is already with EA & Konami so they’d be already starting so far behind. Would be interesting nonetheless.

I agree with most of what you’re saying except for the cash infusion. FIFA aren’t giving anyone money, they want developers to pay them a huge sum to license the name.

I think a move into a sim game would be very risky for SI. The major licensing is already with EA & Konami so they’d be already starting so far behind. Would be interesting nonetheless.
Unless they got funding from elsewhere to try and make a dent in EA’s domination of the market…

There’s really no chance of that. EA has such licensing dominance that nobody can really compete. Konami have to throw serious cash at Barcelona just to keep up.
That’s true. Ever since Konami started to get some licenses more recently after they lost UEFA, it seems EA chucked a lot (more) money at clubs/leagues. (eFootball seemed to upset partners too)

There’s really no chance of that. EA has such licensing dominance that nobody can really compete. Konami have to throw serious cash at Barcelona just to keep up.
Only a couple of the licenses EA have are exclusive and I think those are only specific clubs, not leagues. Besides, the only super important license is the FIFPro license, which I think SI already has.

Only a couple of the licenses EA have are exclusive and I think those are only specific clubs, not leagues. Besides, the only super important license is the FIFPro license, which I think SI already has.
I believe for leagues, EA has some exclusivity for EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga. I'm not sure about Serie A, although interesting to note in eFootball, only partner clubs have official kits, logos etc., so possible that EA has that also

I believe for leagues, EA has some exclusivity for EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga. I'm not sure about Serie A, although interesting to note in eFootball, only partner clubs have official kits, logos etc., so possible that EA has that also
Enjoy Kane scoring 45 a season :CRY: :CRY: :CRY:

This is incorrect. EA have Premier League, EFL, Bundesliga, La Liga, MLS all exclusive. Some clubs from those leagues are in eFootball but only a few.

They have the Serie A branding exclusively but the teams are a bit more complicated. Ligue 1 is technically not exclusive but they are the only ones with the broadcast overlay & they have four stadiums.

All the UEFA competitions are EA exclusive also. I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think of them right now. EA typically go for whole leagues exclusive rather than just individual teams.

Last edited:

Not just some. Those leagues are all EA exclusive. eFootball only has Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Barcelona & Bayern.

Like others said not true.

Also Fifpro doesn't mean you can do fake clubs for every league with the real players.

See Bundesliga, there is a reason it hasn't been in PES for years, since even Fake teams with the real players would get you into trouble with Bundesliga.

So having Fifpro wouldn't mean a big amount of leagues.

And especially on consoles league licenses do matter.

You always have to remember that casual players don't want to get into the hassle of editing leagues or importing graphics with an USB stick and so on, especially on consoles.

If there is a game with the FIFA name I only see 2K doing it since they might think it is worth having the brand.

But in the end the FIFA license just means: spending a whole lot of money on a license that doesn't really get you many positives.

Because you don't get the sponsors with it, you will still have to negotiate with each one and on the negative side: FIFA would want a say on what you do, meaning certain Sponsors you can't work with, they might get involved in how you represent certain things in the game, you would have to get their go ahead on features etc.

So you pay a lot for a lot of hassle.

Because you don't get the sponsors with it, you will still have to negotiate with each one and on the negative side: FIFA would want a say on what you do, meaning certain Sponsors you can't work with, they might get involved in how you represent certain things in the game, you would have to get their go ahead on features etc.
I never said they get the sponsors with it. I said they get access to the corporate sponsors...that's a big difference as one is a deal and the later is access to the right people to start negotiations if they desire.

What's not true? Looks like SI has a lot of licenses to me: https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2023-licences
For football Managment games, they wouldn't transfer to Simulation Games.

For example they couldn't use their Bundesliga license if they make a sim game.

So please don't confuse licenses and how they work.

They would have to renegotiate every license for a Sim game.

And wouldn't have access to a lot of them like Champions League, Bundesliga etc

For football Managment games, they wouldn't transfer to Simulation Games.

For example they couldn't use their Bundesliga license if they make a sim game.

So please don't confuse licenses and how they work.

They would have to renegotiate every license for a Sim game.

And wouldn't have access to a lot of them like Champions League, Bundesliga etc
According to the Bundesliga / EA partnership announcement, the license is for "rights to match simulation". Sounds the same to me. So unless the contract/binding agreement spells it out different, not sure there is a difference.

I never said they get the sponsors with it. I said they get access to the corporate sponsors...that's a big difference as one is a deal and the later is access to the right people to start negotiations if they desire.
They have that access now you don't need FIFA for it.

Because if you think FIFA would help you with those sponsors or to negotiate or even give you the key names to talk to: no they won't.

And like I said instead every sponsor you have, every thing you want to add to your game, would have to be greenlighted by FIFA. Sounds like fun.

According to the Bundesliga / EA partnership announcement, the license is for "rights to match simulation". Sounds the same to me. So unless the contract/binding agreement spells it out different, not sure there is a difference.
Believe me there is a difference.

So no you wouldn't see Bundesliga in a Simulation Football game by SI, not even with Fake Teams.

For Football Managment games it is fine but as soon as it is a game where you play actively you can't have Bundesliga.

Last edited:
As has been stated before, this doesn’t carry over to simulation games where you control the on field action. That’s why Konami doesn’t have Bundesliga. We’re not making this up for our own amusement lol 😆
There's a huge difference with Konami because they don't have any Bundesliga license whereas SI has something (we just don't know what it covers exactly). All we can do is speculate.

There's a huge difference with Konami because they don't have any Bundesliga license whereas SI has something (we just don't know what it covers exactly). All we can do is speculate.
Dude it is not speculation ;)

Do you really think EA would talk about an Exclusive license if SI or any other company could create a Simulation Game (where you actively play) with Bundesliga?

I think you are just being a bit stubborn to arguments right now.
Also it has been reported by different sources (Kicker for example) that the license for Match Simulations had some demands by DFL which were that Football Managment games are allowed to have Bundesliga, which was considered a win for Sega and SI.

At the same time EA had made it clear with DFL that any game where you play actively will not be able to have the Bundesliga license hence why it is exclusive to EA Sports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom