The Master League adventures thread

Oh and i forgot another compatriot of me, but that's a long time ago. He's probably the best GK we've ever had (no not Pfaff): Christian Piot. GK of Standard and the national team in the 70's...but that's a long time ago.

PS: mods: sorry to be off-topic...

308fy3.jpg

Valenciennes win group and qualify for knock-out stages CL:

Juventus - Valenciennes 3-3
16' Camoranesi
22' Del Piero
42' Belmadi
56' Del Piero
74' Pujol
82' Pujol

Valenciennes- Man Utd 3-2
23' Bezzaz
36' Ishizaki
44' Saha
68' Louvion (own goal)
82' Pavlyuchenko

1 Valenciennes 11
2 Juventus 9
3 Man Utd 6
4 Newcastle Utd 5

133.jpg

Pavlyuchenko, the man who scored the qualifying goal for Valenciennes.

EMPOLI NEWS.....EMPOLI NEWS.....EMPOLI NEWS....EMPOLI NEWS....

TRANSFERS

OUT
Alvaro Saborio (Parma)
James Troisi (Reggina)
Lino Marzoratti (Palermo)
Ignazio Abate (IFK Gothenburg)

IN
Daniele Corvia
Bernardo Corradi
Luca Vigiani
Peter Czvitkovics
Karim Bridji

AZZURRI FINISH 10TH

Empoli finished the 2009/10 domestic season in 10th place. The Tuscan side couldn't close the gap on the European places and will therefore not participate in any European competition next season.

PODOLSKI STRIKE ENDS EMPOLI EURO ADVENTURE

UEFA CUP Round 1, 2nd Leg
Empoli 0
Bayern Munich 1 Podolski 23'
(agg 2-1)

Lukas Podolski's 23rd minute strike dumped Empoli out of the UEFA Cup, as the Germans advanced to the quarter-finals. Bayern went on to the lift the trophy, beating Everton FC 3-1 in the final.

Hi Prof, i bought Corvia in my Atalanta ML in PES6.
He was a forward that never fiited in the team...i guess his playing style (otr the way Konami "made" him) dit not suit me...

The beauty of the ML (and i say this without cynicism) is that he might be fantastic for you...

Hi gerd. It's early days yet. He got an assist in the first game, but was dissappointing in the next. I wonder if he'll work for me. I've got good competition between strikers now, so if one doesn't cut it, there is always another waiting to take his place.
I've said it before, but i'd like to see a 'trial' feature in the off-season perhaps. Then those friendlies (and even training) would have another use.

Forgot to mention. I tried to sign Maccarone again, but i wasn't allowed (despite Siena getting relegated). I might try again in the mid-season window, now that they are in Div 2 and see if they'll open negotiations this time. If Corvia isn't doing well by then, they can have him. :-pp

Gerd. Having played seven games of the new season now, i can say Corvia is a bit of a mixed bag. He's scored three so far, but has missed a hatful of chances, including some real sitters. Volpato has really stepped up his game, in the absence of Pozzi and has scored seven in seven :w00t:

The Hungarian, Péter Czvitkovics, looks to have been a shrewd signing too.

Three goals in seven matches is not bad...i remember him as a very clumsy striker...i think he hardly ever scored a goal for me...in fact he was one of the worst signings i've ever done...but that is very subjective...when i played with national teams, i never could play well with Zidane either...

True, three goals isn't bad, but he has been quite frustrating too. Do you ever have those moments where you're man makes an unbelievable miss in front of goal and you have to pause the game and take a moment :SS :ROLL:
His best of the three so far was a great header from a corner, running in, unmarked. I don't score enough headers from corners. I remember back in the day, Vorlander used to steam up and head a good few from the back, but that was several PES ago.

I have plenty of those moments in my current ML with Valenciennes on PSP.
Shooting and defending in the PSP version are somehow (at least for me) quite different than what i'm used to.
When shooting, the ball goes too high very often...the number of chances i miss is astonishing.
Defending is another weak point, i just can't defend with the PSP...when i play on PS2 or PS3 i usually have the best defense in the league (or one of the best) and don't score that often.
In my PSP ML with Valenciennes i have the worst defense of the league (and last year Valenciennes were champions !!!). Of course i score most goals too...Yesterday i played the northern derby against Lens (Lens being 4th in the league). Valenciennes won 4-3, the match before that was against Caen. Valenciennes totally outplayed Caen wich resulted in a 6-4 win (this is unusually high, but 4-3 is pretty common). I guess it's not that realistic but i enjoy this ML enormously. Mostly Valenciennes' opponents score the first goal...that makes it fun...

I wonder how the knock-out stages of the "CL" will go...if you can't keep the "nil" in home matches, that's not very good...and cosidering that teams in the CL are stronger than in the league..i will face a quick exit...

My defending isn't great in 08, but i think that could be due to the computer in this edition. It's too easy for players to dribble and evade defenders. I had a classic annoying moment yesterday. The one where a player dribbles in a straight line, all the way from his own half (and nobody can tackle him, in fact, some defenders even run away) and then he fires past the keeper to score. Needless to say, i introduced my controller to the floor at high velocity, upon conceeding. :MAD::rant::MAD:

I have that all the time in the PSP version...players who come down the centre and score, it's like the Trd sea open for them...

His best of the three so far was a great header from a corner, running in, unmarked. I don't score enough headers from corners. I remember back in the day, Vorlander used to steam up and head a good few from the back, but that was several PES ago.
Quite a good percentage of my goals with Kickers have come from corners. That was the primary reason why Christian Muller managed those 14 assists, and why current playmaker Peter Perchtold (great name) has just equalled that hefty tally this season. Do you remember to send your big centre backs up in the set piece settings?

Speaking of this season, it has been an unexpected romp for OFC; the aim was to compete for promotion but in the end we've just run away with the division like I didn't think we were capable of. Top of the table at the halfway mark, then a ridiculous streak of more than ten consecutive wins left everyone else trailing, and Perchtold has lifted the D2 trophy with fixtures still to play.

I picked Perchtold up after he was released by Stuttgart a couple of seasons ago, thinking he might be a handy player to rotate in the midfield, but he's really emerged as a central lynchpin and inspirational figure. A bit like Ballack, he's tall but slow, strikes a good dead-ball, and can score as well as create. He might attract the attention of other teams this summer, but as the club's popularity has sky-rocketed from D to B over the course of this year it puts me in a good position to hang on to him for once.

Hey gerd, Corvia is turning out to be not bad. He's grabbed 7 league goals in half a season. Volpato's stats are going nuclear now. He's got 13 goals in the same time frame. He's currently league top scorer too.

EMPOLI SEAL BATUHAN LOAN DEAL

22377_hp.jpg

The striker will be on loan until the end of the season

Empoli FC have completed the loan signing of Turkish starlet Batuhan Karadeniz from Besiktas, until the end of the season. Empoli are currently in fourth place in Serie A, at the mid-season point.

Fourth is great for a team like Empoli Prof...
It seems you have strikers enoough in your squad or am i wrong ???

I have four strikers: Savidan, Pujol, Gouffran (who can also play as SMF) and Pavelyuchenko.

Good for you that Corvia is doing well...i never had that luck (well maybe the manager never used him correctly...).

You're right gerd, i have a few strikers on the books now. I normally go with four, but have added an extra element with Batuhan (190cm), the fifth. He's known for his heading ability from crosses and i have decent crossing players.

Saudati, Volapto, Corradi, Corvia and now Batuhan (loan). Corradi is 34, so he won't last much longer. I wasn't going to sign anyone in this window, but i feel if i can keep a good pool of strikers, it might help me get the goals/wins i need, to finish as high as possible.

I was disappointed to miss out on Europe, so a top 6 is a must this time. I was also dumped out of the cup in the first round via an injury time goal (otherwise i was through). This means i am only in one competition and i'm going for it. Winning Serie A is very unlikely, what with Milan and Inter up there, but i'm trying. I have never won a Serie A (Div1) ML.

I have won Serie A twice: once with Parma (won the treble with that team, the only time i managed that) and with US PALERMO.

If i do remember well Corvia was also a very good header...

INTER HALT EMPOLI WINNING STREAK

10csnx3.jpg

Ibra-cadabra: 1-0

Inter Milan put a stop to Empoli's fine winning form of late, with a 1-0 win at the stadio Carlo Castellani. Ibrahimovic's deft lob from 18 yards beat Kujovic to his goal line and separated the sides in the first half.
The loss saw the end of an incredible seven game winning streak for the Tuscans, who have raced up to third place in the league as a result. The run included a 3-1 win over AC Milan at the San Siro, which saw Daniele Corvia score with a bicycle kick. Had Empoli managed to overcome the Nerazzurri, they would have claimed second place in the league.

Valenciennes qualifies for semi-finals of CL:

Valenciennes - Real Zaragoza 4-1
Aimar
Pavelyuchenko
Pavelyuchenko
Pujol

Real Zaragoza - Valenciennes 3-3
Aimar
Pujol
Aimar
Pujol
Milito
Pujol

080116_gregory_pujol.jpg

Gregory Pujol: Champions League top scorer

In the semi's Valenciennes play AC Milan.

Horrible, my internet was dead for almost a week!
Nice to see you goign steady Prof. And Gerd of course too. A question; how many minutes do you play your games on?
Brugge isn't doing that good. Halfway the team was struggling in the last positions. But at the end of the season I managed to get a winning streak of 8 games! That was mainly cause I was able to buy Donovan! Unbelievable he wanted to sign for Brugge. I had to offer lot of money, even with the chance I would be game over end of the season. But Donovan did great. He really helped to bring Capon in position upfront. A lovely striker I may say. He isnt that special in real life, right Gerd? Another question, do you play a mixed league? Prof, you arent playing mixed?

Well prof, Valenciennes scores quite easily...
The fact that they rarely end a match without conceding goals is rather ominous considering the fact that Milan is their next opponent...
In League 1 Valenciennes are cruising once again. They have a six point lead on Olympique Lyonnais and the rest are more than 15 points behing. So CL football next year is as good as certain...and even if Valenciennes loose against Lyon, they still will have a 3 point lead. That looks good.
Pavelyuchenko is turning out to be a wonderful player...scores goals galore, is very good upfront and can play wonderful as a target man if i play a "christmas tree" formation (which never did before). Valenciennes is quit strong with that formation: Pavelyuchenko upfront, right behind: Bezzaz and Belmadi as AMF and then 3 CMF's (Defour, Doumeng, Sanchez).

If i paly 4-4-2, i have Savidan or Pujol with Pavelyuchenko or Gouffran upfront and Ishizaki and Bezzaz as SMF.

GFK:

I play matches of 15 minutes.
Capon is a young player who played one or two matches last year and played well enough. I think he will not play much this season unless Brugge have lots of injuries.
I think it would be good for him if Brugge would loan him to another club.
I see you are an AZ fan...i have an AZ player in my Valenciennes team: Sebastien Poccognoli. How is he doing in Alkmaar??? I quite like the 3 Belgian AZ players: Dembélé (big talent IMHO), Martens and Poccognoli (and isn't there a fouth Belgian player this year???).

Hi GFK, i also set matches to 15 minutes. It feels the right amount of time to me.
My league is all Italian, but when i started, i had to add a few foreign teams to Div 2, who occasionally come up (and often go back down): Osasuna, Mallorca, Almeria and Monaco.

Gerd, Pavelyuchenko is a high profile signing for Valenciennes. You must have enticed him with a big wage :))

Yup Prof, Pavelyuchenko to Valenciennes is perhaps not too realistic for real life Valenciennes. But since my Valenciennes were champions an thus play CL it might have be possible...but the truth is, since seeing him at the Euro i couldn't resist.

I'm also a huge fan of Arshavin and Modric, but that would have been over the top...

Since i'm a bit of a Spurs fan (but i also will support WBA next season, let's hope that i have a team top of the table and a relegation struggler, but with Spurs it might aswell be two relegation strugglers)and since Modric now plays for Spurs... i'm tempted to play a ML with Spurs in PES 2009 (i want to play a ML with Spurs for years now and i remember starting one but somehow loosing the memmory card after a couple of matches...i'm glad a PS3 does not need memory cards...).

I can see you winning the treble with Spurs gerd :DD

I'll most likely go with a Serie A ML again, possibly a Tuscan side again. I've been wanting to play with the eastern teams for a long time now, but the mixed up league which you have to play in, isn't as appealing.

EDIT: Oh gerd, i forgot to say, Corvia is certainly a hit. He's on 12 or 13 goals so far this season.

Well Prof, it's possible that my next ML in PES2008 could also be an Italian.
I've been reading a couple of good books about Italian football and i have learned that in terms of budget Sienna are an absolute underdog in Serie A and that it's a miracle that they 've stayed up for some year's now...that's tempting. But i also have fond memories of ML's with Palermo and Atalanta. I consider them my favourite Italian teams (it's weird that i have 2 favourite teams for certain leagues...).

Off-topic (but who cares): do you think Spurs will do well this year in the Premiership??? I would love to see a couple of teams breaking in the top 4 (or should i say "top 3" because IMHO there is quite a difference between Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal on the one hand and Liverpool on the other). I would love to see teams like Everton and Spurs challenging the big four...

Siena are one of my favs. I have a soft spot for Tuscan sides (having gone to Tuscany for years, since i was young + Siena being the closest club) and Parma too.

Hmm, i see Spurs and Liverpool doing what they do every year. Not challenging for the title. :-pp

Back
Top Bottom