The Master League adventures thread

I'm in the group stages Prof.
Since Valenciennes won the Ligue 1 title last season, i didn't need to play the qualifying stages.

In Ligue 1 i'm fianlly doing better now...after a false start i'm on a winning streak and am currently second 1 point behind Lens (!!!) and one point ahead of L'OL and L'OM....

Yesterday i played my most exciting match in PES08 until now. I played against Le mans (a team i like a lot). They took the lead twice in the first half (1-0 and 2-1) but i equalized very quick bothe times.
In the second half i tried to score the winning goal and dominatedthem completely. Still Le mans once again scored in the 88th minute...i managed to score two late goals in extra time and won the match...what a thrill...

Hey guys in order to inject some 'playability' in my I decided a good way to keep me interested in it would be to monitor the trails and tribulations on here with you.

So I hope you all enjoy reading it as much I enjoy reading all the brilliant ML stories on here. I will be making the first post later today.

EMPOLI NEWS.....EMPOLI NEWS.....EMPOLI NEWS....EMPOLI NEWS....

TORRES DOUBLE DOWNS EMPOLI

_44591744_torres_pa300.jpg

Champions League - Group B

EMPOLI 1 Volpato 80'
LIVERPOOL 2 Torres 3' 9'

A snowy stadio Carlo Castellani provided the backdrop for the group B fixture between Empoli FC and Liverpool FC. The Premier League side arrived as favourites and lived up to their billing, as they defeated the Tuscan outfit with relative ease, by two goals to one.

The Azzurri were dealt a blow a couple of days before the tie, when influential midfielder, Guillermo Giacomazzi, was ruled out through injury. The Uruguyan picked up a knock in the 3-3 draw at home to Inter Milan, earlier in the week. It's likely the midfielder will also miss the next group game against FC Barcelona.

Soon after kick-off, Antonio Busce lashed a distance shot towards Pepe Reina's goal, but the midfielder's shot was more speculative than testing, as it flew harmlessly over the Spaniard's crossbar. Liverpool then asserted their dominance early, with two quick goals from star forward, Fernando Torres, on 3 and then 9 minutes. A shaken Empoli looked to get back into the game, but found themselves falling short of chances, as attacks were broken down by Liverpool's organised defence. Professor Nutmeg decided to change Alvaro Saborio for Rey Volpato upfront and it was the substitute who found the net in the 80th minute, handing the Azzurri a lifeline in the process. For all their efforts, the home side couldn't find an equaliser, as Liverpool held on to claim all three points in Italy.

More champions league news:
Valenciennes lost to Juventus with 1-2.
Goals by Nedved and Camoranesi for Juventus.
Substitute Gregory Pujol scored the only goal for Valenciennes.

BARCELONA EASE PAST EMPOLI

27468_hp.jpg

Messi celebrates Tosto's own goal

BARCELONA 2 Tosto 27'(og) van der Vaart 57'
EMPOLI 0

Empoli FC headed to Barcelona in their second group B match, to face the Catalan giants in a game that was to be all about the home side.
Empoli full back, Vittorio Tosto, managed to put the ball in his own net, in the first half, after the Italians had done a decent job of shutting out Barcelona's increasing attacks. The visitors managed to counter periodically, but never worried the back four.
The Camp Nou erupted once more in the second half, when Dutch international, Rafael van der Vaart found the net on 57 minutes, effectively putting Empoli out of the tie.
It doesn't get any easier for the Serie A outfit, but they will be hoping for third time lucky, when they face Bayern Munich in their next group b match.

Reading about your match against Liverpool, it made me think about Valenciennes against Juventus...i scored a goal, but they could have scored 4 or 5...much too strong for my side...well at least i have won one match...nothing is lost...

Indeed, same result gerd.

It looks like i need a result against Bayern, if i'm to have any hope of proceeding through to the knockout stages.
If not, i'll be dropping into the UEFA Cup, which is cool, but my only gripe is, if i remember correctly, you end up playing the other losing team from your CL group. So that's a bit tiresome and in this case tough!

It's not all doom and gloom though. I managed a great 3-2 league victory over AC Milan, at the San Siro :DD (just before the Barca defeat).

but they could have scored 4 or 5...much too strong for my side...
I had that experience when I took Kickers to the Allianz to play Bayern for the first time... and indeed they did score 4, and could have scored more. Something to aim for! It's nice to have that distinction in the ML.

The real OFC have just been relegated to the new 3.Liga, and I was looking at Wikipedia today. They've had a huge turnover of players recently, most of the squad I've come to know has departed this summer. I'm going to shortlist some of their new signings to see if they'll fit for me in my ML.

That's good to hear Prof. You know that i'm a bit of a fan of Liechtenstein football.
And also IRL Le Havre (my team in FIFA08) and WBA (also in FIFA08) have bothe been promoted...

I will give it a try jack, but i think that thanks to you Tranmere must be one of the most popular teams in FIFA...

EMPOLI STUN MUNICH GIANTS

W020071209385908453367.jpg

Bayern were booed at the final whistle

BAYERN MUNICH 0
EMPOLI 1 Volpato 42'

In the third group B fixture, Empoli FC took on the might of Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena and registered an historic victory in Munich. The visitors, who had lost their previous two group games, had to win to have any hope of progressing to the knockout stages of the competition.

Influential midfielder, Guillermo Giacomazzi returned from injury, having missed the previous two group fixtures. The Uruguayan's presence appeared to have had an effect. Giacomazzi's ferocius shot brought a great save from Petr Cech, but the keeper could only parry towards Rey Volpato, who volleyed the ball emphatically into the back of the net, minutes before half time.
Both sides created further chances, but Empoli bravely managed to hang on to their lead and claim their first three points in the group stages.

308.jpg

Big surprise in Manchester: Man Utd - Valenciennes AFC 1-2

With a 4-4-2-1 formation Valenciennes choose to play a tiny litle bit less offensive than usual and with result. Both attacking midfielders Belmadi and Bezza played a wonderfull match and Bezzaz scored two beautifull goals in the first half.
Hargreaves goal never meant a treat for a very clever Valenciennes team that kept on countering in a very intelligent way. They could have scored more goals and were never even under pressure.

After 3 matches Valenciennes are leading their group with six ôints, followed by bothe Juventus and Newcastle with 4 points and Man Utd with two points.

1174167621marchalvalenciennes.jpg

Yacine Bezzaz, United's killer.

LOL Jack...i never play with a GK...
You prove that you play a lot FM...tactical genius...

It must be 4-3-2-1 of course...

Moved the thread to the PS2 forum inline with the restructure. As it's mostly the PS2 version used I guessed that would be ok. If you're offended by this, let me know.

CLASSY LIVERPOOL TOO MUCH FOR EMPOLI

392gerrard-steven080413ap.jpg

Gerrard and Torres were on the scoresheet

LIVERPOOL 2 Gerrard 31' Torres 45'+1
EMPOLI 0

In the second group meeting between Liverpool and Empoli, the Premier League outfit once again defeated their opponents comfortably. The homeside raced out of the blocks and subjected Empoli to a ferocious succession of attacks on goal. Empoli were dazed, as Fernando Torres was a real threat, weaving in and out and jumping tackles, before unleashing dangerous shots on goal.

Liverpool hit the crossbar within eight minutes, as the reds, looking to re-stablish their position in the table, peppered the Tuscan's goalmouth. Ironically, the deadlock came from a set piece. Guillermo Giacommazzi brought down skipper Steven Gerrard right outside the penalty area, receiving a yellow card in the process. Gerrard then stepped up to take the kick and howitzered a shot past Kujovic with such ferocity, that the keeper had no time to react. Ten minutes later, Gerrard was substitued for Lucas, as his encounter with Giacomazzi saw him pick up an injury.
Liverpool added a second in first half injury time, through Fernando Torres, putting Empoli out of the tie. Giacomazzi received a second yellow card for a tackle on Lucas and was sent off midway through the second half. The midfielder, who missed the first two group games through injury, will now sit out the game against Barcelona, through suspension. Ten man Empoli managed to hang on well, despite their predicament and held a rampant Liverpool at bay until the final whistle.

POZZI SEALS €6.1M RANGERS SWITCH

1701645660.jpg

Pozzi's move is a blow for Empoli

Empoli forward Nicola Pozzi has moved to Glasgow Rangers for €6.1 million in the mid-season transfer window. He has signed a four year deal with the Scottish giants.
Pozzi's scintillating domestic and European form caught the eye of many clubs on the continent. Both Rangers and Sporting Lisbon looked to sign the number nine.
The striker's departure is however a huge blow for Empoli as he has been a key figure for the club, over the past few seasons.

Empoli looked to bring in an immediate replacement, old boy Massimo Maccarone from Siena, but the club refused to open talks with the Azzurri at the time. It's expected Empoli will try again in the summer to sign the targetman, or look elsewhere for a suitable heir.

_ _ _ _ _ _

* Totally gutted i had to sell him. Possibly my favourite forward in PES2008 :(( I even tried to take him back on loan for the remainder of the season, but they wouldn't have it.

Commiserations, Prof. Will be cool if you have to face Rangers in Europe over the next season or two.

I hope for Pozzi's sake that his move goes better than that of the striker I had to sell, Dino Topmoller, who has been kept permanently on Hannover's bench by Mike Hanke and their single striker formation. With popularity on the increase I've got my eye on making a cheeky reverse bid if the chance arises.

Commiserations, Prof. Will be cool if you have to face Rangers in Europe over the next season or two.

I hope for Pozzi's sake that his move goes better than that of the striker I had to sell, Dino Topmoller, who has been kept permanently on Hannover's bench by Mike Hanke and their single striker formation. With popularity on the increase I've got my eye on making a cheeky reverse bid if the chance arises.

Thanks Nerf...

Well exactly, i had a quick look at Rangers' striking options and unless they unload a few, it's looking a little congested. I will certainly keep an eye on the lad, he's still fairly young. If it doesn't work out for him in Scotland, he will always be welcome back at Empoli FC.

EMPOLI NEWS.....UEFA CUP.....EMPOLI NEWS....UEFA CUP....

LATE PENALTY HOLDS BAYERN

dh4dp5.jpg

Volpato equalised with a minute remaining

UEFA CUP - Round 1, 1st Leg

BAYERN MUNICH 1 Podolski 33'
EMPOLI 1 Volpato 89'(p)

Rey Volpato converted an 89th minute spot kick at the Allianz Arena, handing Empoli a shock first leg advantage.

Benefiting from Empoli's nerves, Bayern dominated early on. Lukas Podolski struck for Bundesliga side in the first half of this tense encounter. Bayern then missed the chance to go two up, when Miroslav Klose rattled the upright. The seemingly unpassable Petr Cech denied several Empoli efforts, but the Azzurri's industry paid off when full back Andrea Raggi was pulled down in the box in the 89th minute. Rey Volpato sent Cech the wrong way, with composure that belied his experience, sending the tiny away supporters contingent into a frenzy.

Empoli will now welcome Bayern to the stadio Carlo Castellani, knowing a re-run of their Champions League group game goalless draw, would be enough to see them through to the next round.

Valenciennes lost two points at home against Newcastle in a 2-2 draw.
After leading 1-0 and 2-1, Valenciennes still managed to concede a draw.

Two costly points. Next match is against Juventus (the strongest team).

Didier Six will once again play in his Christmas tree formation...: 4-3-2-1

PS: good result Prof...

Thanks gerd. I find knockout-out stage, European football ties very tense and exciting affairs, particulalry when they are tight like this. I'm struggling to break into 6th place in the league to secure more Euro footy for next season.

I gained three and then lost two points in a matter of minutes the other day. I grabbed what i thought was a late winner against Parma (1-0), only for them to equalise from a corner in injury time (i knew it was coming too).

My keeper (Kujovic) recieved a red card and was sent off against Udinese recently (nice to see it happen every now and then). My replacement keeper, Bassi, saved Gyan's penaly but couldn't keep out the follow up.

That's always extremely frustrating, saving a penalty but still conceding a goal on the follow-up (i've been a goal keeper irl).

Valenciennes are doing very good in the league after a rather disappointing start. A series of 11 consecutive wins put them top of the table 4 point before Lyon and 8 points before L'OM.

Valenciennes are still conceding too many goals (defending is very hard on the PSP IMHO, much harder than on the big consoles). This is gonna be a problem in the knock-out stages of the competition.

In the domestic Cup Valenciennes where eliminated in the first round against (bogey team) Rennes. A 1-1 draw at home and a 4-3 defeat in Rennes.

I rarely manage to hold the "0" and that is not a good thing in home and away matches...

Me too. I still am (technically in my goalkeeping prime :DD )

Who are your favourites.
Mine: Southall (that's my number one), Dassaev, the Big Dane from Man Utd (can you believe that i forgot his name???) and my compatriot Preudhomme.

Nowadays: Cech, Foster (i liked him a lot when he was playing for Watford), Buffon, Casillas...but the one i like most is Cech (even if lately he made a few mistakes).

Yes, in the 80s it was all about Southall and Shilton for me. Other keepers i admire or have admired are Zenga, P. Schmeichel, Frey, Buffon, Manninger, Jaaskelainen, Cudicini and a few other here and there.

Back
Top Bottom