The General PC Questions Thread

that was ddr2 memory Tim7. it physically won't fit into you motherboard, because the little grooves don't line up.

you need ddr memory, which unfortunately, is around £40 for a 1gb stick. this is the only way you can upgrade...

Oh cock.

Thanks for all your help. Windows 7 is actually running fine on 480mb RAM so I'll leave it for now.

This isnt exactly a PC question but I didnt want to make a whole new thread for one question so here goes.

What's the largest capacity USB drive can you get that doesnt require its own power source? I'm looking for something that can be filled with media and then plugged into a PS3 or an X360 but not have to take up an extra plug socket on the wall.

This isnt exactly a PC question but I didnt want to make a whole new thread for one question so here goes.

What's the largest capacity USB drive can you get that doesnt require its own power source? I'm looking for something that can be filled with media and then plugged into a PS3 or an X360 but not have to take up an extra plug socket on the wall.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-LaCie-Little-Big-Disk-QUADRA-RAID0-5400rpm

879454-st-b.jpg

Make sure you format it to FAT32. ps3 and 360 cant read a NTFS file system as far as i know mate

I've seen these network HDDs that plug into your router and can be accessed by anyone on the network.
Anyone here have one and/or know if consoles can access them?

I guess those would work out better even if it required a plug seeing how both my PS3 and X360 would connect to it (assuming it does).

@ RuneEdge,

Ive got a couple of WD 2,5 usb HDD passport. It fits in your pocket. Bought one a couple of weeks/months ago with 500GB for about 100pound with todays rate. Biggest Ive seen is 500GB, they have them in different colours aswell. Samsung have a 1,8inch usb hhd with 120GB.

I'm not sure if this is the ideal thread for this issue but I'll post it anyway.

Since I got my laptop in January, at least once a week iTunes will remove all my podcasts. This forces me to import them into iTunes all over again. It doesn't take long to do this but its still annoying.

This never happened to me on the PC, anyone know why its happening now?

Check on your iTunes podcasts settings, I think by default it is set to delete ones you've heard already.

I've got it set to keep all episodes.

Hi I have jsut ordered a new laptop and I pick it up tomorrow.

I want to get an external harddrive to back up my data.

I also have read a tiny bit that I should partition my drive so that I have my OS on one partition and the rest on another. So that if I have any problems I can just revert back? is this true? if so are there any good guides on how to do this? if so can you let me know?

Any other suggestions you have to keep my data backed up and safe would be nice :))

cheers.

Yeah you need to partition Bobby, although being a laptop it will likely already have the OS and everything installed with only a quick setup needed to have the laptop ready. Which is fine and all, but to do a partition you need to reinstall windows and create a partition right at the beginning of the install after formating your hdd.

How hard is it to change the internal PSU on a computer? My PC is so fucking loud and I'm sure it's the PSU that's causing it.

It might be the fans

But the PSU is easy to change as is the rest of the stuff inside a PC

Yeah I thought it might be the fans too but I don't think it is now. Would there be any way to test to find out which one is actually making the noise?

but W7 has an XP compatibility mode now I believe, so if it doesnt work in W7 straight away, you install using this mode and it tricks the program into thinking it's on XP instead.

If its the case fan you could pull it out for a second to see that's the one making the noise, mine was a cheapo one and it was making quite a noise

Other than that you could you type in your CPU and PSU model numbers and they should say how loud in DBs they are

Also you could try Speedfan, in some PCs (it didnt in mine) you can change the fans speed to lower speed (lower speed less noise) to once again see if they are the culprits

If they are you can either lower the speed so they aint running a max or buy some quiet fans with lower DBs

Oh it could be your HDDs as well, i looked into making mine more quiet and alot cropped up to do with noise

You could also just open up your pc and have a listen..........

And a PSU is very easy to replace, just makes sure the new one has enough correct connections on it. As my pc is 4+ years old it had mostly "IDE" power connectors. It broke and I bought a new one that had far less "IDE" power connectors meaning I now have had to let the dvdrom and cdburner unconnected and unpowered. Fortunatly it hasn't mattered (still got a dvd-rw connected) but it could have been a problem. Didn't think they would have a new set of power connectors.

Cheers Tik and Coopz. I have opened it up and listened already and think it's the PSU. My PC is 5+ years old :LOL:, so I will take the connectors into account. Any recommended websites to get a new PSU from?

Right, it is the fan that is making the noise. Don't ask me how I know but let me say I now have a sore finger. My PC actually has 2 fans. One attached to the casing on the back, which is quiet, and the other which is attached to the motherboard which is fucking loud. Could it be a problem replacing it as it's built into the motherboard?

Also, I got that FanSpeed and it is already running at lowest possible speed!

How hard is it to change the internal PSU on a computer? My PC is so fucking loud and I'm sure it's the PSU that's causing it.
doubt its your psu. migth be your case fans. normaly is mate.

what size case fans are they? if its 80mm then there is the problem

Right, it is the fan that is making the noise. Don't ask me how I know but let me say I now have a sore finger. My PC actually has 2 fans. One attached to the casing on the back, which is quiet, and the other which is attached to the motherboard which is fucking loud. Could it be a problem replacing it as it's built into the motherboard?

Also, I got that FanSpeed and it is already running at lowest possible speed!

cant do much if its the mobo fan. what size is it?

Back
Top Bottom