The General PC Questions Thread

Right people I am after some decent speakers for my computer. The ones I have now are fucked as they keep fading in and out on the volume.

I like my music but dont like spending money

so hit me with some suggestions people!

Have you turned your PC on?

Is someone fucking around with MSN, have I got piles of hackers making their way through my computer, or what?

I have two MSN accounts but I only ever use one. I've just logged into the first one after getting out of the shower and one of my contacts has randomly moved from "Friends" to "Other Contacts". In the second account any instance of "<3" on the friends list has been changed to "(L)".

Also, I'd customised both so that the menu bar on one was red and the other was blue - now they're both the default colour.

One question. What the fuck?

Anyone know a website that I can get some good Vista widgets from?

error.jpg

Videora iPhone 3G converter has just started doing this every time I try and convert a video for some reason :CRY:. It worked fine two days ago, and the only thing I've done on my PC is updated Safari and updated iTunes to 8.1. Any ideas?

I believe it's a problem with your Direct X. Reinstall or run an update to the latest version.

Also make sure you have the latest version of the dotnetfx (.NET framework) installed, that may also help.

Cheers mj. I have downloaded and installed the latest DirectX and am now running Windows Updates, (noticed that one update was to a newer version of the .NET framework), so fingers crossed! Will report back later.

Nope it hasn't worked :CRY:. I'm just going to remove Visual Basic programme and try again.

Last edited:
Tried re-installing it about 3 times now. Nothing new, as I said the only thing that's changed on my PC is iTunes up to 8.1. Didn't work uninstalling Visual Basic programme! I've found another program that will convert the videos but the quality isn't as good and the file sizes are bigger :((. I don't know what to do, I'm gutted.

imTOO and Xilisoft are good programs. The quality is pretty good too.

Just to check you have admin status right? You may have to run the program as admin.

Yeah I'm an admin mate. In a bizarre twist, even though the program gives me that error the conversion carries on in the background and I'm pretty sure the video is absolutely fine too! Now testing my theory, I bloody hope it works because the one I used to convert the latest episode of CSI was absolutely fucking wank. The resolution was wrong, the sound quality was abysmal and the file size was huge.

Tim, you use Vista?

Sometimes on Vista when installing we have to right click the installer and choose Run as Administrator, even though you are already an admin. pretty stupid if you ask me.

Try it.

Yeah I know about that but I'm on XP! My theory was correct by the way, even though it gives me that error if I leave it alone it will still convert the videos fine, so it's not too much of an issue :)).

Me again! :LOL:

I want to upgrade my laptop RAM. Currently it only has about 480MB usable, something like that. Anyway I was in PC World yesterday and they had 1GB of RAM for £20 which I thought was reasonable, and probably bound to get that even cheaper online. I now just need to find out whether I have DDR or SODIMM? Is that right? Anyway, I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a way of how to find out what I currently have so I could easily replace it. Cheers :TU:.

Yeah I'm an admin mate. In a bizarre twist, even though the program gives me that error the conversion carries on in the background and I'm pretty sure the video is absolutely fine too! Now testing my theory, I bloody hope it works because the one I used to convert the latest episode of CSI was absolutely fucking wank. The resolution was wrong, the sound quality was abysmal and the file size was huge.

Yeah I know about that but I'm on XP! My theory was correct by the way, even though it gives me that error if I leave it alone it will still convert the videos fine, so it's not too much of an issue :)).

Me again! :LOL:

I want to upgrade my laptop RAM. Currently it only has about 480MB usable, something like that. Anyway I was in PC World yesterday and they had 1GB of RAM for £20 which I thought was reasonable, and probably bound to get that even cheaper online. I now just need to find out whether I have DDR or SODIMM? Is that right? Anyway, I'd be grateful if someone could tell me a way of how to find out what I currently have so I could easily replace it. Cheers :TU:.

:FAIL:

Check the first line of my post! ;))

i must be fucking blind because i still cannot see the memory speed in mhz. al i see is that you have a DDR 200pin memory:TTTH:

Back
Top Bottom