The General PC Questions Thread

anyone got an old IDE hdd min 320gb , ideally 500gb that they wouldn't mind selling at a reasonable price

just looking at buying one and they are more expensive than the superier sata

only reason i need one is for my cctv dvr

I'm thinking of buying one of these,Acer Predator G7200 or Packard Bell iPower X9830 to play games anyone know which is best?

I have a problem with my router, my Internet connection is lost every time I turn my PC on and off, I have to unplug my router and then plug it back in again.
It's as if my PC is not storing the connection anymore. It won't repair the connection either, I have another PC into the router and that's fine so I don't think it's the router...

Hit the start menu and open a run box then type "cmd /k ipconfig/release".

Give it 20 seconds and then type "ipconfig/renew".

Might do the trick.

Its that time when im thinking or formatting again

Trouble is can i be arsed to go though all that again

No problem, Nick. I'll be interested to see if that does cure it or not.

I reformatted my work laptop this morning, feels great :DD.

I've never had a problem since I changed from a BT router to Netgear. Netgear comes with my stamp of approval.

You pair will be recreating the phrase - suggestions:

A bad banana
A dodgy orange
A manky mango

Okay, I need some help and after Googling for hours last night, I'm still stuck. Can anybody who's really, really clever help me out here?

First off. Would the following power supply be good enough for a Radeon HD 4850/4870? I know the fact that it's 480w makes it powerful enough, but people talk about "12v rails" and "DC output" and I have no idea what they're talking about. I don't even know if it's a decent enough brand.

psu1.jpg

Second question. The 4870 requires two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors. I don't have any, BUT I've got (or will have when I take the second duffy DVD-RW drive out) four 4-pin power connectors. Now, you can get converters from two 4-pin connectors to one 6-pin PCI-E connector - I'm presuming that's safe and it won't cause me any problems - but if I used TWO of those converters (meaning four 4-pin connectors converted to two 6-pin connectors), would the PSU explode? Because if it will, I'll just get the 4850 (which only requires one 6-pin PCI-E connector) and use a SINGLE converter.

psu2k.jpg

psu3.jpg

(........The connector that looks like a 6-pin PCI-E connector in the picture above is actually a square 4-pin connector........)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom