The General PC Questions Thread

The PSU should be enough but it's not a brand I'm familiar with so I can't comment on how much of the 480w you actually get. As the PCI-E connections are designed to draw more power, two lots of the adapters might be too much if it turns out to be a cheap PSU. That said I'd expect the worst to happen would be that the PC wouldn't power up correctly, nothing too explosive.

The 4850 would probably be the more sensible choice with that PSU.

And, yeah, compressed air ftw.

I knew someone would say that, I did dust it afterwards but it's hard to stick a vacuum hose in there without it jumping around and snapping a transistor off...
fucking hell. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

anyways get this PSU http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500W-Silverstone-ST50EF-Plus-SLi-Dual-plus12V-ATX12V-22-80plus-Eff

i wouldnt trust a none branded PSU with a 4850/4890. not only would it not boot if your psu is bad, but it could ruin some of your pc components such as your hdd and even your brand new GPU card. Thats why its HIGHLY advisable that you never skimp on a PSU. and i mean never mate. better safe then sorry.

what is your total budget?

Ditto, if you're spending £100+ on a graphics card you don't want to fry it with a cheap £20 PSU. Your PSU also affects the performance, so the better the PSU the better everything will run.

I've been thinking about it and I'll just end up grabbing the 4850. If I take my spare DVDRW out (which is knackered anyway) and a few other things then I should have plenty of power left for the 4850, even if it is a crappy make, surely.

I'll just have to forget the 4870 - if it's a choice between £80 for "good enough" or £160 for "fractionally better" then I'll take option one.

fraction? the 4870 is alot better then the 4850 plus why are you considering a 4870 for 160 when a 4890 is the same price and better then the 4870?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-...-850MHz-800-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV-HDCP-Ready

edit: its only £145.. What is your budget? 160? get a 4850 and a new PSU. ;)

Another editt: where are you geting these prices from? the 4870 is only £100 !!! http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB-XFX-ATI-Radeon-HD-4870-775M-DDR5-DUAL-DVI-XXX-EDITION

Are you getting your prices from pc world or something ;)

Not sure if this belongs in here but...

I have a minisd card and a usb adapter for it. I plugged them in yesterday to copy some pictures from the minisd to the pc. The auto play folder flashed up for a few seconds but when I clicked on a folder it suddenly went off. Now when I plug the drive in i get told that there is no drive found and that it needs to be formatted before it can be used.

If i try to format it just gives me another error message saying it's been unable to format.

Funnily enough on the phone everything works great, its only when im trying to plug it into the pc that i get errors.

How the hell do i get the pc to stop screwing around and read the bleeding card again?

sounds like the adapter is fucked. cant you u just connect whatever device your using for the sd card into your pc?

Sounds like a bad cable/adapter... can you access it through the phone? e.g. plug the phone cable in and copy files to it from there?

This sort have thing has happened to me loads of times and it's always been the cable/adapter. e.g. copying files to Memory Stick Pro for the PSP.

Nah I don't have a cable for the phone. I'll try another adapter.

Sorry it's actually a 'micro Sd' card if that makes any difference.

I've just plugged it in using a sd adapter and nothing happened. no auto run or anything. so i went into the device manager and noticed that the usb storage device has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. When i went into that there is this message;

Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

-

Managed to fix that just be retarting the pc but this SD adapter isn't showing up anywhere when i plug it in... :(

Last edited:
Try different USB ports. Or, if that doesn't work uninstall the driver in device manager, then it should let you reinstall the next time you plug it in. If it still doesn't work it's knackered mate.

Hit start button + R to get a run box. Type "services.msc" and press enter. Scroll down the list until you see the service called "Plug and Play". Right click on it and then press restart.

i am looking for some software that can be used to store mobile phone information such as mobile number, owner, imei, etc

company i have just started to work for has asked me to look into some sort of database software so we can keep track of our blackberrys, this is one of many of my new tasks

· Look into creating a database to better manage our mobile phone information. The data we need to collect is in the current spreadsheet but we need be able to reassign handsets easily to different users but not loose handset specific info.
currently they are using excel spreadsheets to keep track of data but it is hard to maintain as the mobiles get passed about the company sometimes, and we need something to keep track of the owner changes in some sort of database so it is easy to keep on top off

anyone have any idea on which software would be suitable to do the job, i have searched google for such software but have not got anywhere

thanks

Software question;

Of those who have installed IE8 have they noticed it being really slow to start-up, and opening new tabs is also really slow. Its strange as I did a format a couple of months ago and installed it and it was fine, however I needed to do another format last week and now it's really slow. Nothing has changed on the install so I'm wondering if there's a setting on/off as I can't remember which parts I did and didn't install (compatibility and a few of those things that gets asked during install). Im pretty sure I didnt do the update, unless you can do that without a validation check?

Anybody know?

Fixed it myself, was caused by anti spywaresoftware loading restricted sites into IE8 at start-up and every tab openend:

http://ie8slow.com/

Last edited:
i am looking for some software that can be used to store mobile phone information such as mobile number, owner, imei, etc

company i have just started to work for has asked me to look into some sort of database software so we can keep track of our blackberrys, this is one of many of my new tasks

currently they are using excel spreadsheets to keep track of data but it is hard to maintain as the mobiles get passed about the company sometimes, and we need something to keep track of the owner changes in some sort of database so it is easy to keep on top off

anyone have any idea on which software would be suitable to do the job, i have searched google for such software but have not got anywhere

thanks

microsoft Access? i dont think you will find one pre made, for free anyway. you gotta build your own one mate

Back
Top Bottom