The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

If I had to take a guess, seeing as you're a Manchester United fan, it would probably be because they were VERY close to knocking out Liverpool in the UCL group stages in the year they did the miraculous comeback. Plus Rivaldo and Giovanni were in the squad back then, how could any European football fan not like them? For Greek fans specifically though, it's another story, and @slamsoze can tell you why...
It's true OSFP got a lot of haters in late 90s and mid 00s. And some (not all of them) Olympiakos fans had some ignorance and arrogance, that triggered hate not only for the club or the owner, but for the fans too.

But to give credit where i should, after that Cup final against Asteras Tripolis where even their fans were booing their president , they took some steps back, in controlling behind the scenes. And i think the new generations of football fans , don't have that type of anger we had against, it's mostly based on stereotypes or the season goings

As for me, from a very passionate and hothead, i went to the polar opposite of supporting both OSFP and PAOK in their recent Conference League matches, although both did shite. It's not i will cheer for their goals, but i root for them to win, in order for the poor greek football to improve some levels, as the quality has fallen a lot.

Also don't know if it's because i am old fart now, but I don't pay so much attention to Greek League, playoffs etc. I watch matches but don't feel so intense emotions.

The only suspense i still have, is my long term bet with my best mate since 2005-2006.

We took guesses which event will happen first:

I called Arsenal wins the Premier League, he called the subway of Thessaloniki starts working. 😜

I am so freaking close this year, as almost every gunners season the recent years 😁

Last edited:
It's true OSFP got a lot of haters in late 90s and mid 00s. And some (not all of them) Olympiakos fans had some ignorance and arrogance, that triggered hate not only for the club or the owner, but for the fans too.

But to give credit where i should, after that Cup final against Asteras Tripolis where even their fans were booing their president , they took some steps back, in controlling behind the scenes. And i think the new generations of football fans , don't have that type of anger we had against, it's mostly based on stereotypes or the season goings

As for me, from a very passionate and hothead, i went to the polar opposite of supporting both OSFP and PAOK in their recent Conference League matches, although both did shite. It's not i will cheer for their goals, but i root for them to win, in order for the poor greek football to improve some levels, as the quality has fallen a lot.

Also don't know if it's because i am old fart now, but I don't pay so much attention to Greek League, playoffs etc. I watch matches but don't feel so intense emotions.

The only suspense i still have, is my long term bet with my best mate since 2005-2006.

We took guesses which event will happen first.

I called Arsenal wins the Premier League, he called the subway of Thessaloniki starts working. 😜

I am so freaking close this year, as almost every gunners season the last 2-3 years 😁
Yeah but the subway of Thessaloniki is kinda close too 🤣

If I had to take a guess, seeing as you're a Manchester United fan, it would probably be because they were VERY close to knocking out Liverpool in the UCL group stages in the year they did the miraculous comeback. Plus Rivaldo and Giovanni were in the squad back then, how could any European football fan not like them? For Greek fans specifically though, it's another story, and @slamsoze can tell you why...

You might be right about that. Except the part about Rivaldo. I lost all respect for Rivaldo when he got kicked in the leg and went down screaming and holding his face pretending his face was injured.
I know I dislike Panathinaikos too. I have a vague memory of them upsetting me for some reason.

@Buzzy Being a Greek fisherman I can handle. Growing up in Liverpool I cannot 😂

Last edited:
You might be right about that. Except the part about Rivaldo. I lost all respect for Rivaldo when he got kicked in the leg and went down screaming and holding his face pretending his face was injured.
I know I dislike Panathinaikos too. I have a vague memory of them upsetting me for some reason.

@Buzzy Being a Greek fisherman I can handle. Growing up in Liverpool I cannot 😂
Unfortunately/Fortunately or not, we will almost never again live similar upset nights in Europe. The gap is so huge now between the S-Tier teams and the lesser Tier teams.

No more Panathinaikos, or Porto 2004, or Lyon of 2005-2007 period, you know the buy cheap sell high model.

Sounds like cliché, but it's mostly about money now, in the top-8 flights.

I cannot believe we didn't beat PAOK at home in the group stage. Our manager showed his inexperience and now he's gone. Our massively-experienced replacement left yesterday. Now looking for our third manager this season and our sixth in three years. Could be worse, could be Watford...

I cannot believe we didn't beat PAOK at home in the group stage. Our manager showed his inexperience and now he's gone. Our massively-experienced replacement left yesterday. Now looking for our third manager this season and our sixth in three years. Could be worse, could be Watford...
I'm an Iraklis fan (PAOK rivals) yet I still celebrated that PAOK victory as if Iraklis had won, I support every greek team when playing in European competitions.

I'm an Iraklis fan (PAOK rivals) yet I still celebrated that PAOK victory as if Iraklis had won, I support every greek team when playing in European competitions.

It does interest me whether fans in other European countries support their rivals in Europe. Even though I know it's good for Scottish football's profile and helps Aberdeen reach group stages etc, I instinctively want Celtic and Rangers to get utterly destroyed in European competition!

It does interest me whether fans in other European countries support their rivals in Europe. Even though I know it's good for Scottish football's profile and helps Aberdeen reach group stages etc, I instinctively want Celtic and Rangers to get utterly destroyed in European competition!
I can't reply for the rest Europeans, but for Greek clubs, in short terms, it helps to attract better players from abroad and sometimes it is vital for the club's financial survival itself.

Imagine the Celtic-Rangers analogy here is Panathinaikos-Olympiakos-PAOK-AEK.

The 3 of them 4 above, except for Olympiakos, had a season the last 20 years that the owner invested an extra amount of budget, equal to the CL participation prize money, and when the club did not participate or left very early before group stage, the owner practically pulled the plug, leaving the club in the danger, of bankruptcy, relegation , etc.

And we all been there and went all the way from 2 clubs in CL stage and a 3rd one playing CL playoffs in 2004, the only year with 3 clubs in CL groups , to the current day that the champion plays 2 qualifications stages IIRC and would start CL qualifiers since June, if Russian teams weren't expelled.

And among other various reasons, the Greek market is too small to market the Greek Superleague, for 10 million population plus the Greek diaspora. So those +5 or +10 million potential prize money, can be the majority of the season budget for a club, money that can't be found in Greek market.

But then again, most people don't see things like us here. I was surfing on FB and Reddit, and some AEK fans were celebrating the defeat of Olympiakos.

Unfortunately/Fortunately or not, we will almost never again live similar upset nights in Europe. The gap is so huge now between the S-Tier teams and the lesser Tier teams.

No more Panathinaikos, or Porto 2004, or Lyon of 2005-2007 period, you know the buy cheap sell high model.

Sounds like cliché, but it's mostly about money now, in the top-8 flights.
I can see what you’re saying but there’s always a chance for “smaller” teams in any competition.
Take Leicester City. I know it was in 2016 but even back then, not a person on the planet wold have said they would win the premier league and they were expected to be battling in relegation at the beginning of that season. There’s always chance for an upset no matter how much money is spent. Also, if football was completely about money then Chelsea and Manchester United would sit at the top of the premier league.

@Billy Jov Many years ago we were told to support the English teams in European matches but that has completely gone and has been gone for some time now. When city were on the verge of a treble I was Inters number one fan for that game. Granted my support didn’t do shit but yeah 😂

I can see what you’re saying but there’s always a chance for “smaller” teams in any competition.
Take Leicester City. I know it was in 2016 but even back then, not a person on the planet wold have said they would win the premier league and they were expected to be battling in relegation at the beginning of that season. There’s always chance for an upset no matter how much money is spent. Also, if football was completely about money then Chelsea and Manchester United would sit at the top of the premier league.

@Billy Jov Many years ago we were told to support the English teams in European matches but that has completely gone and has been gone for some time now. When city were on the verge of a treble I was Inters number one fan for that game. Granted my support didn’t do shit but yeah 😂
Many years ago, supporting another team from your nation (if you're from a strong country when it comes to football) actually mattered because their performances indirectly affected your own club. Now, the top 4 leagues in UEFA coefficients will always be the same and it does not matter how their teams perform in europe anymore. What's interesting though, with the new UCL system, two spots will go to the two best performing leagues in the previous season's european competitions, so now you have a reason to support the english teams in europe again, cuz finishing 5th is probably the only way you'll get UCL football 🤣

sorry I support Man City in the prem had to take the piss a little bit 😉

Many years ago, supporting another team from your nation (if you're from a strong country when it comes to football) actually mattered because their performances indirectly affected your own club. Now, the top 4 leagues in UEFA coefficients will always be the same and it does not matter how their teams perform in europe anymore. What's interesting though, with the new UCL system, two spots will go to the two best performing leagues in the previous season's european competitions, so now you have a reason to support the english teams in europe again, cuz finishing 5th is probably the only way you'll get UCL football 🤣

sorry I support Man City in the prem had to take the piss a little bit 😉

I’m never going to support Man City or Liverpool in Europe. I’d rather we get relegated than do that.
Also, why are you a Manchester City fan? Are you from Manchester? If not, I don’t see the global appeal other than that they now win stuff.

I’m never going to support Man City or Liverpool in Europe. I’d rather we get relegated than do that.
Also, why are you a Manchester City fan? Are you from Manchester? If not, I don’t see the global appeal other than that they now win stuff.
kind of a stupid reason but here it goes, so my first video game ever was pes 2009, and i played become a legend on it, the first team i played for (other than that fake Babilayna CF) was Man City (or Man Blue 😁) and i liked that light blue shirt so i started liking that team, and as time went on i became more and more of a fan. I'm only 18 so I didn't really live through the time that Man City was shit, I don't know what it was like. Also just so you know it's kinda common for people who live in weak footballing nations to support one team from their home country and one from a stronger nation.

EDIT: btw I have a friend who supports PAOK and Leicester City even if they're now in the championship, despite the fact he started supporting them when they won the FA Cup in 2021, so success is a factor, but not really an important one, is it?

Last edited:
kind of a stupid reason but here it goes, so my first video game ever was pes 2009, and i played become a legend on it, the first team i played for (other than that fake Babilayna CF) was Man City (or Man Blue 😁) and i liked that light blue shirt so i started liking that team, and as time went on i became more and more of a fan. I'm only 18 so I didn't really live through the time that Man City was shit, I don't know what it was like. Also just so you know it's kinda common for people who live in weak footballing nations to support one team from their home country and one from a stronger nation.
Lol makes sense since they got the financial takeover in 2008. I know people of other countries like premier league teams I was just curious as to why Man City. Normally the support is for Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Chelsea before City are even considered. I supposed as someone not from England and because you’re so young Man City would be the natural choice based on their successful yet brief history. I think you should prepare yourself for a Man City decline once Pep leaves though 😉

Lol makes sense since they got the financial takeover in 2008. I know people of other countries like premier league teams I was just curious as to why Man City. Normally the support is for Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Chelsea before City are even considered. I supposed as someone not from England and because you’re so young Man City would be the natural choice based on their successful yet brief history. I think you should prepare yourself for a Man City decline once Pep leaves though 😉
Oh I'm prepared, just as Liverpool fans should be prepared for their downfall next season once Klopp leaves, hopefully it isn't as big as the one United had when SAF left

Oh I'm prepared, just as Liverpool fans should be prepared for their downfall next season once Klopp leaves, hopefully it isn't as big as the one United had when SAF left
Probably not. Liverpool and City aren’t as mismanaged as we have been. It’s difficult to see now but If all goes to plan, 3 or 4 years United will be back and we’ll be back guns blazin

Probably not. Liverpool and City aren’t as mismanaged as we have been. It’s difficult to see now but If all goes to plan, 3 or 4 years United will be back and we’ll be back guns blazin
Here's the difference though, the current Man City squad can still be competitive enough to make top 4 even with a different (but still top level) manager. Liverpool, on the other hand, is built by Klopp the way HE wants the squad, for a different manager to come and lead them it will be very difficult, but hopefully (for the sake of competition) when the next manager comes they can work with the squad that Klopp made.

Here's the difference though, the current Man City squad can still be competitive enough to make top 4 even with a different (but still top level) manager. Liverpool, on the other hand, is built by Klopp the way HE wants the squad, for a different manager to come and lead them it will be very difficult, but hopefully (for the sake of competition) when the next manager comes they can work with the squad that Klopp made.
City are in the exact same position as Liverpool. The squad is built by Pep. You’re right that Liverpool will be competitive regardless and so will city when Pep leaves. It’s not like both squads players are suddenly going to become shit. The managerial aspect with a team with money is the difference between battling for a champions league place and battling for the league title. So regardless of who becomes the manager, both teams will be at minimum hanging around the top 4. The main reason a club with large financial backing can decline is if they start missing out on champions league football and start making less money. Now with super strict FFP rules they have to be profitable. Meaning from now on it’s going to be difficult for investors to just go and buy whoever they like. The books have to be balanced.

Edit: “introduction of a spending cap on wages, transfers and agents' fees, brought in by 2025/26. This cap will mean a club will be permitted to spend no more than 70% of its total revenue on these aspects of the business”

Eeh, that's never ever going to happened, fuck our rivals to hell so I'm right there with you flip
I even support other NT if Sweden has a rival player playing for us (or them in this case)

not quite, in greece they're hated because they were involved in massive scandals involving rigged games and things like that
...which has kinda been the norm in Italy, for example. 😅

As a milanista, I wish I could say the same about Inter. Just... No way. NO BLOODY WAY.
Apart from this, that's never ever gonna change, I don't think I mind the other Italian teams winning in Europe (unless it's against Milan of course).

The new way of conducting the Champions League draw (as well as the UEL and UECL draws) seems oddly weird to me, as they'll use computers to make the draw instead of using the balls, i think it can be easily manipulated that way, I'm kinda worried about it

The new way of conducting the Champions League draw (as well as the UEL and UECL draws) seems oddly weird to me, as they'll use computers to make the draw instead of using the balls, i think it can be easily manipulated that way, I'm kinda worried about it

I'm not sure what else they can manipulate to their benefit. It's already optimally geared towards their wallet and the big leagues/clubs.

Shi*?&%$ penalty shoot out. Before the match my toughts was Inter can get the tripple this season...:DOH:

Unfortunately, with a performance like that it was deserved. It looked like men vs boys. The penalties by Alexis and Lautaro were awful. And Thuram was a huge disappointment. From the 1st minute it looked like he was not really in game, his mood was like in a beach chilling with his friends trying to impress girls. Trying to use his back heel all the time. Reminded me of Balotelli a bit. Only thing missing was a cigarette in his mouth and a drink in his hand. In the end he was lucky not to get a red card. With such an attitude in a knockout game you can't go far, let alone against such a team like Atletico. Also Inzaghi with his typical Italian move in the end (bringing in defender after defender) trying to keep the result.. Well, it has not worked for most of the times that I can remember. Maybe in the 80s and 90s yes, but in today's football this coward attitude gets punished almost every time. On the other hand he did not have many choices with only the aging Alexis in bench. Arnautovic was injured again and is just a poor man's Ibrahimovic anyway... very disappointing night. But CL ended more or less like it started this year because I remember in the 1st game in group stage against Real Sociedad the performance was similar. Now we can focus on the league and winning the 2nd star on the shirt... better than nothing.

Unfortunately, with a performance like that it was deserved. It looked like men vs boys. The penalties by Alexis and Lautaro were awful. And Thuram was a huge disappointment. From the 1st minute it looked like he was not really in game, his mood was like in a beach chilling with his friends trying to impress girls. Trying to use his back heel all the time. Reminded me of Balotelli a bit. Only thing missing was a cigarette in his mouth and a drink in his hand. In the end he was lucky not to get a red card. With such an attitude in a knockout game you can't go far, let alone against such a team like Atletico. Also Inzaghi with his typical Italian move in the end (bringing in defender after defender) trying to keep the result.. Well, it has not worked for most of the times that I can remember. Maybe in the 80s and 90s yes, but in today's football this coward attitude gets punished almost every time. On the other hand he did not have many choices with only the aging Alexis in bench. Arnautovic was injured again and is just a poor man's Ibrahimovic anyway... very disappointing night. But CL ended more or less like it started this year because I remember in the 1st game in group stage against Real Sociedad the performance was similar. Now we can focus on the league and winning the 2nd star on the shirt... better than nothing.
Yes, you are absolutley right with your toughts. I agree with all of them.

A bit dissapointed me was also Pavard for me.

But I had, for my taste, the hope that this 8final match between Atleti and Inter would be the final match. I like both but maybe 51 / 49 for Inter.

Thing is - United's "plan" seems to change every 2 years and their comeback is postponed yet again every time, by another 3-4 years

Yes, you are absolutley right with your toughts. I agree with all of them.

A bit dissapointed me was also Pavard for me.

But I had, for my taste, the hope that this 8final match between Atleti and Inter would be the final match. I like both but maybe 51 / 49 for Inter.
Yes, Pavard also played bad.
I also like Atletico, yesterday I have supported Inter of course but in general I like them and hope for them to win the competition now, but it us gonna be very difficult for them.

Thing is - United's "plan" seems to change every 2 years and their comeback is postponed yet again every time, by another 3-4 years
The difference is that we’ve had the same owners for nearly 2 decades and now someone new has come in and has full control over football operations. Big difference than just replacing the manager every so often.

First defeat for Jose Luis Mendilibar as Olympiacos coach, and jeez Maccabi Tel Aviv stamped all over Olympiacos today, I am confident Olympiacos can still do a miracle in the second leg though, even if I'm not an Olympiacos fan.
I'm a prophet.

Back
Top Bottom