The estranged Chelsea fan thread

I'd rather have us now than to be in Chelsea's position any day of the week.

That's a hard one - granted you lose a lot of the things you like about your club, but winning the league (particularly the first time) was an incredible feeling. One of those things you grow up convincing yourself is never going to happen and then all of a sudden, there you are in May with tears in your eyes!

I'm not sure I'd want to go back to how we were pre-Roman, but I'd have a long hard think about it!

That's a hard one - granted you lose a lot of the things you like about your club, but winning the league (particularly the first time) was an incredible feeling. One of those things you grow up convincing yourself is never going to happen and then all of a sudden, there you are in May with tears in your eyes!

I'm not sure I'd want to go back to how we were pre-Roman, but I'd have a long hard think about it!

I am thinking going away to Burnden Park, standing on a freezing cold day to see Chelsea nick a 1-0 win with a last gasp Pat Nevin strike.

I know there are 2 ends of the spectrum and the thought of losing the last remnants of what I hold dear just saddens and frightens me to death.
If it is replaced by the euphoria of success, then I don't know.

Better or worse one thing is sure that it won't be the same.

If thats your argument then surely its Utd who have the most. I've lost count of the amount of times I have seen "Cornwall Reds" and "Man Utd Hastings" flags.
I knew sooner or later you would come with that argument. A couple of years ago you said the same outrageous thing.
For some strange reason i used to be a Man Utd fan as a kid (i'm 45 years old - i was a fan when they were in the second division with that Deninis Law goal when he played for City). Now i'm from Belgian, so that means that i was a glory hunter when i supported a big club when they were relegated???? Could you please explain that to me????

I will continue my strange story...for even stranger reasons i got fed up with Man Utd the season after the treble when Man Utd (just like all the English big clubs) became a company and lost part of his soul (IMHO)....does that make me a glory hunter????

There is something wrong with your logic brother...take your favourite club...does it ever occurs to you that neutral football fans can fall in love with the beautiful football Arsenal plays...that's the reason why i have loved Deportivo a couple of years ago and now Sevilla...are people like me glory hunters????

If thats your argument then surely its Utd who have the most. I've lost count of the amount of times I have seen "Cornwall Reds" and "Man Utd Hastings" flags.
I knew sooner or later you would come with that argument. A couple of years ago you said the same outrageous thing.
For some strange reason i used to be a Man Utd fan as a kid (i'm 45 years old - i was a fan when they were in the second division with that Deninis Law goal when he played for City). Now i'm from Belgian, so that means that i was a glory hunter when i supported a big club when they were relegated???? Could you please explain that to me????

I will continue my strange story...for even stranger reasons i got fed up with Man Utd the season after the treble when Man Utd (just like all the English big clubs) became a company and lost part of his soul (IMHO)....does that make me a glory hunter????

There is something wrong with your logic brother...take your favourite club...does it ever occurs to you that neutral football fans can fall in love with the beautiful football Arsenal plays...that's the reason why i have loved Deportivo a couple of years ago and now Sevilla...are people like me glory hunters????

Its not outrageous Gerd, I was merely explaining that hard-core supporters of a team like Utd do not come from Cornwall or Hastings. Hard core supporters come from a local fanbase whose support has been handed down the generations. Stevio's point is that these fans are disappearing and they are being replaced with fans from further afield that have more cash etc.

I am not saying its wrong to a be "Hastings Red" or a "Leeds Gooner" its a sign of the times. Its a result of the saturation of football on TV, but to me "proper" support is something that is given to you, either through your parentage, your place of birth or your location when growing up, and is something that is justified by actually going to the games. Sadly these types of supporters are very rare nowadays.

I love Arsenal I was converted in `91 my brother moved to London and I always got asked "What`s your correlation to Highbury?" anyhow I think the love of a generation fan is profound and their love causes foreigners to convert (me). It`s not about trophies to me(lying... a bit) it`s about loving a club you feel connected to even if your across the pond.

WikipediA said:
Combs,Sean John"I'm a loyal guy. There's a couple of other football teams tried to recruit me but I'm staying true to Arsenal. Arsenal fans have inducted me as an honorary official Arsenal member."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Combs

I really don't see why English couldn't have hardcore fans from Patagonia Clockender....and the generation to generation does not make sense to me at all.
My father is an Anderlecht fan, my favourite Belgian team are the city "rivals" of Anderlecht: RWDM which is now called FC Brussels...a team that goes up and down between the Jupiler League and the second division....so yes Steevio i have a favourite team...but it doesn't stop me from loving other teams (usually for a while, except Man Utd which i supported for more than 30 years).

my favourite Belgian team are the city "rivals" of Anderlecht: RWDM which is now called FC Brussels...a team that goes up and down between the Jupiler League and the second division....so yes Steevio i have a favourite team...but it doesn't stop me from loving other teams (usually for a while, except Man Utd which i supported for more than 30 years).

RWDM aside, what i'd say is you love the teams as in watching them and such, but to say you support said teams or are a fan would be nothing short of absurd, in my opinion.

I think that's really clutching at straws. Besides, people are taking this off-topic. I was rather hoping for more input from Chelsea 'fans'.

I think José took the rest of them with him!

Getting it back on topic - Did anyone watch Real v Betis last night? Robben was phenomenal, totally tore Betis apart. A perfect illustration of why José had to leave. Given the freedom to just stick with what he's good at, not saddled with hundreds of different tactical defensive situations to remember, just "get out there and have fun" and he did.

As for us, we've still got about 17 defensive midfielders that José kindly signed for us...

Last edited:
Perhaps so :-k

Edit:

I really wish we could have some sort of attacking midfielder a la Zola, a creative spark, a 'trequartista' someone in that hole. But yeah, Jose just liked his defensive midfielders i guess. Either that, or we need more immediacy from the wingers in a 4-4-2. Rumour has it a certain Ronnie might plug that gap. I'm very interested to see what Grant will do in the transfer window, assuming he's still there. Who will he sell/buy? I'm guessing not Ben Haim ;) :(

Last edited:
Although they keep saying Grant is the permanent manager, I just can't quite believe it. If he is still there in January, and they intend to bring players in then I think Quaresma will be the one they will be after.

Malouda has looked ok so far, but SWP despite playing out of his skin, is still just slightly better than average. Joe Cole might get a chance to play somewhere in the centre maybe so I definitely think we need to strengthen out wide.

True TB, you could totally reshape the team eg Cole in the hole, behind two strikers. Quaresma was the chap i was hoping we'd sign ever since JM took charge. Not sure now, with the Portuguese connection gone. Having seen Man Utd sign Nani and Anderson recently, i was hoping to see Chelsea swoop for Quaresma. Personally i reckon someone else will buy him first eg Rafa Benitez- another winger/player to rotate. Chelsea don't a have a single flair player. I think we need one at least, particularly for European games.

Playing the devil's advocate, couldn't you argue that you're not a real Oasis fan if you're not from Manchester?

That is indeed a bit clutching at straws mate. :lol:
If you travelled half way round the world to see most of their yearly gigs as opposed to Dave from Salford who just buys the CDs and listens at home, then yes you'd be more of a fan.

If Chelsea can get a run going inthe next few games then you could be back in the title hunt.

Nope - I'm officially taking us out of the running. It's Liverpool's to lose this season, then the Mancs and Goons.

I'd just like us to rebuild this season, focus on our set up and worry about silverware next year.

Hence "it's theirs to lose"!

They're easily the best outfit this season, but he is really making a good stab at fecking it up. "Uh-Oh! We're playing the mighty Levski Sofia in 10 days - better rest all my best players!!!"

Nope - I'm officially taking us out of the running. It's Liverpool's to lose this season, then the Mancs and Goons.

I'd just like us to rebuild this season, focus on our set up and worry about silverware next year.

I agree. You know what. I'd like Chelsea to go out off th CL and into the Uefa cup and win that. A kind of 'walk before you run' thing.

Certainly think it's down to Liverpool/Man Utd and possibly Arsenal this season. I already feel 'less pressure' with JM gone and Grant in charge. I think people aren't expecting as much now perhaps. Chelsea are a bit in limbo.

We might even take a leaf from Liverpool's book and make no effort in the league, leaving us the only team rested enough to win the Champions League! :shock:

Maybe....

Didi back in the squad for tomorrow. If he does play a part, hopefully it will not be as an "out ball". Let's get the ball down and move it about!

I seriously think you are both too pessimistic TB and Prof...i still see Chelsea as a major contender for the English Premiership title...it's not because they lost against Man Utd that all is lost...
CL is less likely IMHO...

I seriously think you are both too pessimistic TB and Prof...i still see Chelsea as a major contender for the English Premiership title...it's not because they lost against Man Utd that all is lost...
CL is less likely IMHO...

I'm not writing us off on the basis of one game, Gerd - in fact, I was quite encouraged with what I saw in those first 20 minutes on Sunday. But I didn't think we would win last year, and over the summer (in my opinion) the standard of the squad has gone down - not just in quality, but hunger too.

He has a point Gerd. The air of invincibility that used to surround Chelsea, has most certainly gone and the old Chelsea is creeping back. I'd even go so far to say, expect a few shock results this season (in addition to the Rosenborg one ;) ) Pessimism, realism, it depends how you see it :mryellow:

Well you guys watch Chelsea more than i do...but i have the impression that Chelsea lost last year's title due to the injuries of Cech and terry (and others???)and of course poort transfers: Ballack and Sheva....

Man Utd won the league last year, Chelsea did not just lose it.

Everyone bangs on about the Chelsea injuries last years, but the year before Man Utd's campaign was destroyed early on by a horrific injury list that saw Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer, Smith etc out. Man Utd didn't have any forwards left and as a result of such a terrible injury list could not compete in the early part of the year- that allowed Chelsea to move away at the top. Likewise that year Liverpool had every single forward out as well.

There will always be bad times when it comes to clusters of injuries for all teams...in time it gets all teams.

Chelsea prior to last year had a very good run of keeping many crucial players injury free...last year they were hit just as Man Utd and Liverpool were the year before.

The odd thing is I always here people mention the fact that Chelsea faced these injuries, but there is a selective memory or at least people forget that this has happened to other clubs but less empahsis was placed upon it.

Man Utd won last years title- Chelsea's issues are not Man Utds problem, just as the year before Chelsea won the league and Man Utd's injuries were not Chelsea's problem.

I do not agree with you Vanzandt....Man utd 's injured players are far less important than Chelsea's.

I do agree with your argument however that it was Man Utd that won the title and not Chelsea that lost it. All credit to Man Utd.

My post was meant for Prof and TB who seem to pessimistic to me (well just like all real fans...)

I do not agree with you Vanzandt....Man utd 's injured players are far less important than Chelsea's.

How so?

Both Man Utd and Liverpool had every single striker injured and as a result stuttered, dropt points and said goodbye to their respective title challenges...

So why were the Chelsea players more important?

This to me is crazy logic..no one department of a team is more important than another in a title challenge.

If you lose all players in a given department then you are likely to drop points and in doing so falter in your title challenge.

How can it possibly be otherwise?

That said my argument was not aimed towards you, I mean I am not having a go or anything.

It was a general point that I have made a good few times in the past. I brought it up now because you mentioned Chelsea's injuries and not those of the other teams in other years and it seems to me to be a very convenient argument for Chelsea and a blurring of reality that the media has dabbled in.

I do agree with your argument however that it was Man Utd that won the title and not Chelsea that lost it. All credit to Man Utd.

My post was meant for Prof and TB who seem to pessimistic to me (well just like all real fans...)

Yea it is a glass half empty or half full isn't it, the position depends on philosophy. I think that you always must give credit to the team that wins the title, otherwise their can often be logic found to justify saying no team ever wins it..

Anyway no worries I understand you were posting for one of the other guys.

P.S

People also forget that towards the end of last season Man Utd also had three out of the back four out injured as well...not much was made of that though either.

What about Arsenal not having Herny for half the season? Surely Cech and Terry are no more important to Chelsea than Henry was to Arsenal at the time?

Last edited:
Gerd, Chelsea 0 - 0 Fulham. Terry out injured, Drogba red carded, 7th in the table. Still think we're pessimistic? :mryellow:

I don't know if you saw any of the game, but Fulham could have won it at the end, but for a great save from Cech versus Konchesky.

Back
Top Bottom